April 17, 2014 | 1858 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dr. Bronner's - Peppermint Castille Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 5:06:00 PM More reviews by piggytoes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

Really enjoying this soap so far! I use it as a face and body wash. My face has cleared up quite a bit in the past month that I started using this. I still break out, but dramatically less.

A few notes: after diluting it, it can be hard to lather or use with my Clarisonic. I'll try a foaming pump as a previous reviewer suggested. Also, they say you can use this as a shampoo, but I find it makes my scalp too oily.

I'll definitely keep using this! Not only has it cleared up my skin, it's also inexpensive for the amount of product you get, and it's all-natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 9:01:00 AM More reviews by neeetah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

love this soap! very gentle and great smell. I use it to wash my baby's bath tube because I don't want to use harsh chemicals.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by MsVengeance

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used this brand of soap off and on as a body wash for years now (peppermint has always been my favorite due to the clean lingering scent) but personally, I found it could be a pain in the ass to use and it didn't save me any $$$ due to the fact that whether I diluted it or not, I always had to use pump after pump of this stuff just to work up a decent lather on every area of my body (took longer to wash too). The same thing also happened when I used it as hand soap.

Well maybe I'm an idiot for not figuring it out sooner but in case anyone else has the same problem here are 2 key things that completely changed this for me:

1. Go out and buy yourself some foaming soap dispensers. This makes a HUGE difference! My Walgreens had some in the form of Dial's foaming antibacterial handwash for $2.19 (this will save you $ in the long run).

2. Don't use it like regular soap. By this I mean usually with body wash you just squirt it onto a puff/loofah/whatever and add water to work up a lather, but with this soap? If you add water while you're trying to lather the water will just neutralize the lather! The fact that it's oil based probably has something to do with this (water and oil don't mix).

So dilute it beforehand and use a foaming pump dispenser instead of a regular one. This way you already got a lather even when it's really diluted (I never understood how people could shave with this stuff until I got the foaming dispenser but I get it now).

Also, now that i use this as a hand soap I cannot believe how soft my hands are! Seriously they were ALWAYS cracked and bleeding from daily washing with antibacterial soap and I always figured it had to be the hot water but wow, apparently it was the soap.

BTW, this soap is not harsh at all but keep in mind, like most Bronner soaps it DOES contain an essential oil! Many essential oils can be skin irritants-esp on mucous membranes--and peppermint oil is no exception to this rule.

On another note, in case you haven't read the crazy label, Dr. Bronner was a bonafide mental patient (for reals) so just because he used his "magical" soap 18 different ways doesn't mean you need to do the same...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 10:03:00 PM More reviews by rujteara

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE this soap! This is our summertime soap as it leaves a cool feeling on your skin and the scent of mm peppermint wakes you up! love that there are no toxic chemicals in it either!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2013 1:29:00 PM More reviews by ponc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried both the bar soap and the liquid soap. For use with a loofah, I like bar soap better. The liquid is so thin and runny that it disappears into loofah as soon as you pour it. I only use the soap in shower and to wash my hands. Maybe because it is made with mostly oil, it doesn't dry out my body like other soap. The funny thing is when I wash my face with this, it makes my face dry. I don't have the courage to try it on my hair. Be careful not to get it in your eyes. It stings so bad.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/13/2013 10:03:00 PM More reviews by ccarlino

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

For economical reasons, I purchased this product and poured half into our kitchen and bath pump decanters to wash hands / wrists only. I don't use for bath, shower, hair, etc as it may be too drying. Pleasant minty smell - but definitely use a hand lotion after if you have extra dry skin. I would think this is a great soap for bathing kids. Also used it to wipe down the kitchen counter. Would not purchase again.

I'm hooked on my favorite Williams Sonoma kitchen lemon hand soap. Hands down the best hand soap out there, but unfortunately, the most expensive --- it is truly moisturizing. Worth the treat if you can afford it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2013 9:42:00 PM More reviews by countrygyrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff really is great. I use this or the lavender one. I mostly use it for cleaning my whole house. I think it is expensive but since you dilute it (by alot) it lasts a really long time. I have aslo used it as shampoo, bodywash, facewash and toothpaste. I prefer the lavender one more for face/body and hair as the peppermint is a bit strong but it does have a perfect peppermint scent and it is very invigorating. I dilute 1 tablespoon to 1 cup water for face and hair and that seems to be the best ratio for me. For hair I generally co- wash but shampoo about once a week following that with another co- wash. Dr. Bonners used just as shampoo without a follow up co- wash makes my scalp feel clean but my hair feel thick and greasy in the shower, after conditioning its perfect though. I don't think I'll use it for my beauty routine permanently (especially not the peppermint). I am a beauty product junkie always looking for the next best (cheap, multitasking) thing and right now I prefer washing my face with honey or a sulfate free baby wash after I remove my makeup and I prefer a creamier feeling body soap ( I love Dove bar soap which can be used on face and hair too!). However, Dr. Bonners Peppermint is my total go to for cleaning my kitchen, bathroom, toilets (mix with baking soda) and floors. It even cleans up spots in the rug and dishes!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2013 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Sam3215

This is amazing. No harmful ingredients. it got a 1 on the skin deep database. It dosent dry skin out. it removes makeup very well. I use it in my hair too

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2013 10:16:00 AM More reviews by NicoIcon999

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My skin is so picky when it comes to cleansers. Things that seem to be effective lose their magic within the first week. I'm constantly switching products or coming up with time consuming routines just to keep my skin satisfied. My shower looks like a store shelf in the skin care aisle. This soap was always something I wanted to try, but the price and mixed reviews worried me. Not to mention it's a huge bottle that would take away precious real estate in my shower crowded with so many bottles already. Target, however has a small $2 bottle in their travel size section. I bought it and have used it everyday for the last 2 months or so. I really love it! I now only use a facial cleanser, doesn't seem to matter which one, to take off the bulk of my makeup and finish off with this. I think it might work because it's cleaning as well as removing residue left by my facial wash. I put a couple drops in the palm of my hand add a little water just to create a little lather and wash my face like normal. My skin has not felt filmy or dry or greasy. It's felt quite calm and soft. Everyones skin is different and if nothing else has worked for you, this just might. My skin is incredibly acne-prone and this hasn't irritated it one bit.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2013 2:28:00 PM More reviews by mimi75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my all purpose HG product to end all products~~I use it for seemingly everything~Brush my teeth(The mint is wonderful,and I havent used commercial toothpaste in years,no problems,just healthy gums and teeth~(all it takes is one drop on my toothbrush)) Washing my hair~Diluted into a 8 oz bottle of water about 2 tsp soap~really focusing on my scalp,comb thru to ends(follow with ACV rinse,no cond. needed) Fill a spray bottle with this (1/2 cup) and a few tbsp white vinegar and mostly water~cleans everything in my house!!~ Wash my face with this(DILUTE) after I remove my makeup.~~I fill foaming soap dispensers with water and a few squirts of this and it is great for washing hands~I cant use the soap my office provides so I fill a small spray bottle with 3/4 water and a 1/4 soap~just wet my hands and give em a spray, I keep it in my purse. I wash my dishes with it~I wash my produce with it~I shave with it~It tap dances and balances my check book(LOL)~ LOVE. :)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No