October 25, 2014 | 1482 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dr. Bronner's - Peppermint Castille Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2014 9:51:00 AM More reviews by youngangel25

I have used this soap for years, on everything, even cleaning my house and washing my hair, i use the almond formula because it's gentler, and is the only thing i use to wash my face

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2014 9:34:00 AM More reviews by KelseyP

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love this soap! We bought a big bottle to take camping, and every person in our big group grabbed this to use. Its so refreshing and cleared up my sons bad breakout in just a few days - and I love that its environmentally friendly. If your skin is sensitive to dryness I would not use, but I adore this for summer weather.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2014 8:39:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the first Dr Bronner product I've tried and I've not been disappointed. I use it solely as a body wash. The secret to getting a lather with this is making sure you are already wet before applying it and using a wash cloth or shower puff. I shake the bottle to mix the ingredients as they tend to settle, then pour a capful of it undiluted onto my wet wash cloth. I get a lovely lather - not too much, just enough. It doesn't leave my skin in the least bit dry; I hate having to use a moisturiser afterwards as I don't usually have time for that. I'm not sure if it makes a difference that I have a water softener system. If you use it in the bath you will not get a lather, so I don't bother. There's a little too much minty freshness for certain parts of the body (I know from personal experience) so don't say you weren't warned!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2014 10:14:00 AM More reviews by aenflex

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using Bronner's soaps for almost 8 years. I use them exclusively on my body, and until quite recently, exclusively on my face as well. The only time I skip using it as a face wash is when I occasionally use a sample of another product.
It removes my make up, face oils and anything else that's on my skin. I've read other reviews where folks mention that it doesn't remove their make up? That confuses me. It's an alkaline soap and it certainly has always removed my makeup without question.
The price is reasonable. Packaging works for me, although a pump would be nice. Easily fixable by using another container with a pump. Ingredients are some of the best. Organic, minimal, fair trade.
This is a soap, and you get the results of a soap, not a cleanser. Your skin is squeaky clean afterwards, and unless you have oily skin, using a moisturizer right after is a good idea.
I love Bronner's and don't foresee changing to something else. I have normal skin, tends to be a little dry, and this product has never caused breakouts or irritation.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2014 1:23:00 AM More reviews by oosagi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is just perfect. Been using it for ages. Very refreshing, very concentrated, and just makes you feel clean. I use it on my face as well as body, and it's good for handwashing delicates, but that's as far as it goes. I've tried all the uses listed on the bottle at some point in my life--and trust me, don't go there with the toothpaste suggestion.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2014 5:29:00 PM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am not a big fan of Bronner soaps if they are used standalone. They are way too alkaline and harsh for use on skin :(
However, I found a blog which shows how to make liquid soap out of the bar soap at a lesser cost. Basically cut the soap into pieces and add hot water. Let stand for few hours until a liquid soap is formed. This soap is extremely versatile as a laundry detergent, mild cleaner for house and also a soap. Credit goes to the blog for this info. Of course it does not look like the Dr.Bronner's Liquid castile soap sold in stores but for $4 you get a big bottle of castile soap made.

Now here is my *secret* - on it's own, the castile soap is quite alkaline pH ~ 9.5 and may be very harsh for the skin or hair. With it's high pH, the only uses for castile soap (for me) are as a detergent or for cleaning the house. However, the ph can be toned down by using sesame oil. Sesame oil has a low pH. Mix sesame oil into the liquid soap and it can be used safely on skin and hair. In fact it becomes a gentle, soothing cleanser and can also double up as a shampoo. The ratio of castile soap to sesame oil varies depending on skin/hair tolerance to castile soap. I use more sesame oil vs castile soap. Sesame oil can be substituted by olive or coconut oil (non-refined, virgin, cold-pressed).

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/20/2014 7:06:00 PM More reviews by skim6926

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

There are others that have clearly figured out how to use this soap effectively but it didn't work at all for me:

HAIR
-leaves a tacky coating on human hair and dog fur. You feel like your hair is never really cleansed. It's as if there's a light wax coating your hair.
-doesn't seem to clean that well
-hair looks flatter and seems to enhance the appearance of flyaways

SKIN
-doesn't take off a lick of make up
-doesn't clean your skin well
-leaves a coating

I'd rather wash my hair with dial soap than this cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2014 1:36:00 PM More reviews by Lashaye16

Love this soap! I purchased a small bottle at my drug store and fell in love with it. I purchased the big bottle at my grocery store. And I now refuse to use any other soap except this one. I love it! I've only tried the peppermint kind and so far it's my favorite. I am not a fan of the other scents. I've been on the hunt for the baby kind to use on my daughter. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff I will use it until the day I die!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2014 9:23:00 PM More reviews by Syreetajackson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

LOVE LOVE LOVE. Best damn soap in the world! I clean my house and my body with it. You can brush your teeth and mop the floor with it! It's a multitasking soap with the best damn back story and reading materials around! Dr. Bronner was an interesting man indeed

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2014 7:00:00 PM More reviews by DrMim

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Utter bombage. I. LOVE.THIS.STUFF. Again, as I point out in my other reviews due to the fact I live on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean on a couple of small rocks and EVERYTHING I like has to be imported, this stuff is a slightly higher price point for NZ than for other parts of the world. Totally worth it. You just need a squirt on your loofah (or Salux cloth) and you get heaps of pepperminty, invigorating lather. I have very dry skin and this does not irritate my skin like a lot of other soaps, nor does it increase the dryness of my skin. According to the bottle you can use it to wash your hair, the dishes, your dog, car etc LOL. And reading the bottle is an entertainment as well (ALL IN ONE! ALL IN ONE!!) My husband loves it and it makes the bathroom smell amazing. I think another reviewer pointed out that you may get a bit of a surprise if you get it on your ''lady bits''. It doesn't hurt or feel unpleasant, its just...noticeable is all due to the peppermint lol.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No