July 28, 2014 | 1347 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dr. Bronner's - Peppermint Castille Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2014 2:37:00 AM More reviews by yjanney

I really like to use this as body wash in the summer since the peppermint is VERY BRACING. I didn't find the lather difficult to adapt to, caused no irritation, price isn't bad for the size and it's not full of harmful chemicals. My husband and I can share, since it's not a feminine scent. He works in extreme heat all summer, so he really likes the cooling effect. I like it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2014 7:00:00 AM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A hippie classic, so refreshing! It's a pure, old-fashioned castile soap, not a shower gel, so even though the consistency appears thin and watery, it's concentrated stuff. One little sprinkle of Dr. B's on a body pouf is plenty. The company makes this soap in several different scents, but I've never strayed from the peppermint-- it's their most popular variety for a reason. Like a peppermint patty for your body!

I work overnights, and showering with this before work helps wake me up like nothing else can. (The ultimate indulgence is a travel mug of coffee brought into the shower, too :)) It gives the squeaky-clean finish that only castile soap can provide, yet it's not drying at all. My skin seems to know it's natural and basic. I use it on my face, too, which feels wonderful; although when I was younger and had acne, I found that it left a comedogenic film, and I had to use a different facial cleanser so YMMV. I feel so clean and tingly after using this that I sometimes can go longer between showers.

Two notes: (1) Especially if you're a woman, certain body parts may not appreciate the very bracing mint sensation. My certain parts don't mind, but I could easily see someone needing to use Dove or something else more mild on their privates. (2) Read the bottle thoroughly. It's completely psychotic and wonderfully weird. Hey, the dude made good soap, let's cut him some slack for having a trippy unified theory involving Mark Spitz and Jesus :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2014 12:10:00 PM More reviews by anjelykah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

My opinion on this product is in the minority. I purchased a 32 oz bottle of this because of the great reviews on MUA. Biodegradable and vegetable based, lots of uses, sure sign me up for that! I'll even ignore the odd remarks on the bottle...but when I used it, I was extremely disappointed. First, I tried it to wash my makeup brushes. Using only the tiniest bit of product, it would be almost impossible to rinse them out completely. Even after rinsing them 5-6 times with plenty of water (such a waste of resources), it would not rinse out. The bristles were sticky and clumped together even after they dried.

Determined to not let it go to waste. I tried it for other things that it is suggested for, from washing dishes to brushing my teeth. Even when diluted to the suggested proportions on the website (Pre-dilute 1:10 with water for dishes), it was too runny of a consistency and it still left streaky marks on my dishes. (1 drop for brushing teeth) but I won't even go into the toothpaste substitute attempt - just. don't. do. it. for.THAT. trust. me. I used every last bit because I refused to toss it out (yes, I'm stubborn like that) and that should teach me to buy a huge bottle of something I have never tried before. Definitely try the 3 oz size as a trial first.

It seems to work for many but not for me and I will never purchase again. If this brand does not work out for you either but still want to use castile soap, try Kiss My Face brand, the Lemongrass Clary Sage is lovely for washing my face, m/u brushes, and wash cloths.

Edit: MsVengeance, I just read your review. Your last sentence made me chuckle, but yes, you are correct!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2014 1:38:00 AM More reviews by IGotThemBunz

I usually purchase the Lavender scented one (my favorite♡) but this time I decided to try out peppermint. I usually shower at night and this soap makes me feel soooo cold! :( I love the tingle in shampoos but in body washes.. not so much. I also like relaxing in my towel for a while before putting clothes on, but this soap makes it impossible! I just wanna throw on my hoodie and sweats ASAP! I guess I'll use it all up, but as soon as im done with this one, im going back to my lavender :'(

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 5:06:00 PM More reviews by piggytoes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

Really enjoying this soap so far! I use it as a face and body wash. My face has cleared up quite a bit in the past month that I started using this. I still break out, but dramatically less.

A few notes: after diluting it, it can be hard to lather or use with my Clarisonic. I'll try a foaming pump as a previous reviewer suggested. Also, they say you can use this as a shampoo, but I find it makes my scalp too oily.

I'll definitely keep using this! Not only has it cleared up my skin, it's also inexpensive for the amount of product you get, and it's all-natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 9:01:00 AM More reviews by neeetah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

love this soap! very gentle and great smell. I use it to wash my baby's bath tube because I don't want to use harsh chemicals.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by MsVengeance

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used this brand of soap off and on as a body wash for years now (peppermint has always been my favorite due to the clean lingering scent) but personally, I found it could be a pain in the ass to use and it didn't save me any $$$ due to the fact that whether I diluted it or not, I always had to use pump after pump of this stuff just to work up a decent lather on every area of my body (took longer to wash too). The same thing also happened when I used it as hand soap.

Well maybe I'm an idiot for not figuring it out sooner but in case anyone else has the same problem here are 2 key things that completely changed this for me:

1. Go out and buy yourself some foaming soap dispensers. This makes a HUGE difference! My Walgreens had some in the form of Dial's foaming antibacterial handwash for $2.19 (this will save you $ in the long run).

2. Don't use it like regular soap. By this I mean usually with body wash you just squirt it onto a puff/loofah/whatever and add water to work up a lather, but with this soap? If you add water while you're trying to lather the water will just neutralize the lather! The fact that it's oil based probably has something to do with this (water and oil don't mix).

So dilute it beforehand and use a foaming pump dispenser instead of a regular one. This way you already got a lather even when it's really diluted (I never understood how people could shave with this stuff until I got the foaming dispenser but I get it now).

Also, now that i use this as a hand soap I cannot believe how soft my hands are! Seriously they were ALWAYS cracked and bleeding from daily washing with antibacterial soap and I always figured it had to be the hot water but wow, apparently it was the soap.

BTW, this soap is not harsh at all but keep in mind, like most Bronner soaps it DOES contain an essential oil! Many essential oils can be skin irritants-esp on mucous membranes--and peppermint oil is no exception to this rule.

On another note, in case you haven't read the crazy label, Dr. Bronner was a bonafide mental patient (for reals) so just because he used his "magical" soap 18 different ways doesn't mean you need to do the same...

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 10:03:00 PM More reviews by rujteara

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE this soap! This is our summertime soap as it leaves a cool feeling on your skin and the scent of mm peppermint wakes you up! love that there are no toxic chemicals in it either!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2013 1:29:00 PM More reviews by ponc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried both the bar soap and the liquid soap. For use with a loofah, I like bar soap better. The liquid is so thin and runny that it disappears into loofah as soon as you pour it. I only use the soap in shower and to wash my hands. Maybe because it is made with mostly oil, it doesn't dry out my body like other soap. The funny thing is when I wash my face with this, it makes my face dry. I don't have the courage to try it on my hair. Be careful not to get it in your eyes. It stings so bad.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/13/2013 10:03:00 PM More reviews by ccarlino

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

For economical reasons, I purchased this product and poured half into our kitchen and bath pump decanters to wash hands / wrists only. I don't use for bath, shower, hair, etc as it may be too drying. Pleasant minty smell - but definitely use a hand lotion after if you have extra dry skin. I would think this is a great soap for bathing kids. Also used it to wipe down the kitchen counter. Would not purchase again.

I'm hooked on my favorite Williams Sonoma kitchen lemon hand soap. Hands down the best hand soap out there, but unfortunately, the most expensive --- it is truly moisturizing. Worth the treat if you can afford it.