October 22, 2014 | 1880 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dr. Bronner's - Peppermint Castille Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2014 5:29:00 PM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am not a big fan of Bronner soaps if they are used standalone. They are way too alkaline and harsh for use on skin :(
However, I found a blog which shows how to make liquid soap out of the bar soap at a lesser cost. Basically cut the soap into pieces and add hot water. Let stand for few hours until a liquid soap is formed. This soap is extremely versatile as a laundry detergent, mild cleaner for house and also a soap. Credit goes to the blog for this info. Of course it does not look like the Dr.Bronner's Liquid castile soap sold in stores but for $4 you get a big bottle of castile soap made.

Now here is my *secret* - on it's own, the castile soap is quite alkaline pH ~ 9.5 and may be very harsh for the skin or hair. With it's high pH, the only uses for castile soap (for me) are as a detergent or for cleaning the house. However, the ph can be toned down by using sesame oil. Sesame oil has a low pH. Mix sesame oil into the liquid soap and it can be used safely on skin and hair. In fact it becomes a gentle, soothing cleanser and can also double up as a shampoo. The ratio of castile soap to sesame oil varies depending on skin/hair tolerance to castile soap. I use more sesame oil vs castile soap. Sesame oil can be substituted by olive or coconut oil (non-refined, virgin, cold-pressed).

rated 1 of 5 on 8/20/2014 7:06:00 PM More reviews by skim6926

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

There are others that have clearly figured out how to use this soap effectively but it didn't work at all for me:

HAIR
-leaves a tacky coating on human hair and dog fur. You feel like your hair is never really cleansed. It's as if there's a light wax coating your hair.
-doesn't seem to clean that well
-hair looks flatter and seems to enhance the appearance of flyaways

SKIN
-doesn't take off a lick of make up
-doesn't clean your skin well
-leaves a coating

I'd rather wash my hair with dial soap than this cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2014 1:36:00 PM More reviews by Lashaye16

Love this soap! I purchased a small bottle at my drug store and fell in love with it. I purchased the big bottle at my grocery store. And I now refuse to use any other soap except this one. I love it! I've only tried the peppermint kind and so far it's my favorite. I am not a fan of the other scents. I've been on the hunt for the baby kind to use on my daughter. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff I will use it until the day I die!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2014 9:23:00 PM More reviews by Syreetajackson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

LOVE LOVE LOVE. Best damn soap in the world! I clean my house and my body with it. You can brush your teeth and mop the floor with it! It's a multitasking soap with the best damn back story and reading materials around! Dr. Bronner was an interesting man indeed

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2014 7:00:00 PM More reviews by DrMim

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Utter bombage. I. LOVE.THIS.STUFF. Again, as I point out in my other reviews due to the fact I live on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean on a couple of small rocks and EVERYTHING I like has to be imported, this stuff is a slightly higher price point for NZ than for other parts of the world. Totally worth it. You just need a squirt on your loofah (or Salux cloth) and you get heaps of pepperminty, invigorating lather. I have very dry skin and this does not irritate my skin like a lot of other soaps, nor does it increase the dryness of my skin. According to the bottle you can use it to wash your hair, the dishes, your dog, car etc LOL. And reading the bottle is an entertainment as well (ALL IN ONE! ALL IN ONE!!) My husband loves it and it makes the bathroom smell amazing. I think another reviewer pointed out that you may get a bit of a surprise if you get it on your ''lady bits''. It doesn't hurt or feel unpleasant, its just...noticeable is all due to the peppermint lol.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2014 2:37:00 AM More reviews by yjanney

I really like to use this as body wash in the summer since the peppermint is VERY BRACING. I didn't find the lather difficult to adapt to, caused no irritation, price isn't bad for the size and it's not full of harmful chemicals. My husband and I can share, since it's not a feminine scent. He works in extreme heat all summer, so he really likes the cooling effect. I like it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2014 7:00:00 AM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A hippie classic, so refreshing! It's a pure, old-fashioned castile soap, not a shower gel, so even though the consistency appears thin and watery, it's concentrated stuff. One little sprinkle of Dr. B's on a body pouf is plenty. The company makes this soap in several different scents, but I've never strayed from the peppermint-- it's their most popular variety for a reason. Like a peppermint patty for your body!

I work overnights, and showering with this before work helps wake me up like nothing else can. (The ultimate indulgence is a travel mug of coffee brought into the shower, too :)) It gives the squeaky-clean finish that only castile soap can provide, yet it's not drying at all. My skin seems to know it's natural and basic. I use it on my face, too, which feels wonderful; although when I was younger and had acne, I found that it left a comedogenic film, and I had to use a different facial cleanser so YMMV. I feel so clean and tingly after using this that I sometimes can go longer between showers.

Two notes: (1) Especially if you're a woman, certain body parts may not appreciate the very bracing mint sensation. My certain parts don't mind, but I could easily see someone needing to use Dove or something else more mild on their privates. (2) Read the bottle thoroughly. It's completely psychotic and wonderfully weird. Hey, the dude made good soap, let's cut him some slack for having a trippy unified theory involving Mark Spitz and Jesus :)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2014 12:10:00 PM More reviews by anjelykah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

My opinion on this product is in the minority. I purchased a 32 oz bottle of this because of the great reviews on MUA. Biodegradable and vegetable based, lots of uses, sure sign me up for that! I'll even ignore the odd remarks on the bottle...but when I used it, I was extremely disappointed. First, I tried it to wash my makeup brushes. Using only the tiniest bit of product, it would be almost impossible to rinse them out completely. Even after rinsing them 5-6 times with plenty of water (such a waste of resources), it would not rinse out. The bristles were sticky and clumped together even after they dried.

Determined to not let it go to waste. I tried it for other things that it is suggested for, from washing dishes to brushing my teeth. Even when diluted to the suggested proportions on the website (Pre-dilute 1:10 with water for dishes), it was too runny of a consistency and it still left streaky marks on my dishes. (1 drop for brushing teeth) but I won't even go into the toothpaste substitute attempt - just. don't. do. it. for.THAT. trust. me. I used every last bit because I refused to toss it out (yes, I'm stubborn like that) and that should teach me to buy a huge bottle of something I have never tried before. Definitely try the 3 oz size as a trial first.

It seems to work for many but not for me and I will never purchase again. If this brand does not work out for you either but still want to use castile soap, try Kiss My Face brand, the Lemongrass Clary Sage is lovely for washing my face, m/u brushes, and wash cloths.

Edit: MsVengeance, I just read your review. Your last sentence made me chuckle, but yes, you are correct!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2014 1:38:00 AM More reviews by IGotThemBunz

I usually purchase the Lavender scented one (my favorite♡) but this time I decided to try out peppermint. I usually shower at night and this soap makes me feel soooo cold! :( I love the tingle in shampoos but in body washes.. not so much. I also like relaxing in my towel for a while before putting clothes on, but this soap makes it impossible! I just wanna throw on my hoodie and sweats ASAP! I guess I'll use it all up, but as soon as im done with this one, im going back to my lavender :'(

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 5:06:00 PM More reviews by piggytoes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

Really enjoying this soap so far! I use it as a face and body wash. My face has cleared up quite a bit in the past month that I started using this. I still break out, but dramatically less.

A few notes: after diluting it, it can be hard to lather or use with my Clarisonic. I'll try a foaming pump as a previous reviewer suggested. Also, they say you can use this as a shampoo, but I find it makes my scalp too oily.

I'll definitely keep using this! Not only has it cleared up my skin, it's also inexpensive for the amount of product you get, and it's all-natural.