April 18, 2014 | 873 users online

Hair Color - Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

rated 1 of 5 on 3/23/2014 9:22:00 PM More reviews by pepesassy

I'm glad to see so many people are happy with this product. Alas, my experience with the regular and extra strength product were very disappointing. I didn't expect the color fairy to come down and remove the color, but I did expect SOME results. I have permanent brown on top of my natural mostly-gray. Just one layer of color on top of my natural color. I first tried the regular strenth and not only did it not remove the color but it left an ugly red tinge. So I tried the extra strengrh with the same result. I followed the instructions to the letter even with extra rinsing since that was emphasized on the instructions. My water heater is thanking me for turning it off.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2014 8:38:00 PM More reviews by Jenna0011

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Okay, this is the absolute worst product to ever put on your hair. It's greasy & runs down your hair way too fast. It never did it's job, either; I did a bad dye job attempting to do my hair purple, I used this. It made my roots black & my hair up top lighter blonde & it's still purple. Waste of money. It smells more disgusting than any product you've used before. Guaranteed. I'm sick to my stomach after using it. Literally.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2014 3:08:00 PM More reviews by AngelaStalker

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have spent the past year getting blonde highlights from the salon. I was so in love with my hair and constantly got compliments on it, but one day I had an impulse to go reddish blonde.........terrible idea. I thought I ruined my hair color for good. I knew that if I applied blonde dye over my red hair that it would react badly, but then I remembered this product and wanted to give it a try, It worked so good, maybe it was because I had a light red in my hair that it was so easy/fast to get rid of, I don't know.

After using this I was back to blonde, I had a few orange tones so I used Wella t18 toner and it got all of the orange out. Now I have what I call Taylor Swift ashy blonde hair. It isn't the old color I lost, but it is a start and much better than the red I had

Also, every review I have read complains about the smell. Am I the only one who thought it had a nice fruity smell? Maybe I am just not sensitive to smells, but I didn't smell anything bad.

In short, i loved this stuff and in the future if I ever want to change my color, then go back to blonde I know that it is now possible.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2014 8:19:00 PM More reviews by Nicolesofiia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've had red hair for five years, and recently ive decided for a change. Prior to dying my hair red i had black hair for about 3 years. I decided to give color oops a try to wash the red dye out. I applied it all over my hair, left it in for 20 min. as recommended, and followed the instructions. My hair is now a light brown with brassy tones, just after the one use. The product surprised me as to how well it worked to take the years of hair dye out. My hair feels exactly the same prior to using the product. Although, it worked fantastically, i did miss few spots so i will need to purchase the product again. To ensure you don't have to re-due the process make sure that you cover all of your hair. Overall i was extremely happy with this product and i would recommend it to anyone who is trying to strip their hair without adding a lot of damage.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2013 1:56:00 AM More reviews by Damselfly352

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have colored my hair for 30 years. Stylists, family and friends have complemented me on my color choices and processing. Until I went through a light blonde phase. I decided to darken my hair for an interview and went with dark ash blonde. I liked the result until a few weeks later the ends were losing pigment. I tried a color deposit product in a dark natural blond. I ended up with a very dark auburn brown. The color was nice but much darker than I wanted. I used Oops Extra Strength and the color removal resulted in a reddish blonde/light reddish brown. I did read previous reviews and adhered to the advice presented. I washed my hair 3-4 times during the full 15 minutes under very warm to hot water. I blew dry my hair and applied med ash blonde for 5 minutes on roots and pulled through for another 3. Could have gone less on the pull through. Probably 1-2 minutes. My overall result is a dark natural blond or light brown. It's what I was originally after. Definitely watch timing and your color mistake can be reversed. I would recommend this product and use again should I ever need to. Fortunantly this is my first real I can't stand the color moment.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2013 9:56:00 PM More reviews by NYCya

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

THANK GOD!
I have been salon highlighting/ coloring my hair for the past ten+ years. If you’ve gone from brown to highlighted hair, you know how over time, it can get dry and porous. It also fades to the same shade of blah blond, no matter how great it looks after you’ve had it highlighted, low lighted or color woven. And over time, the hair becomes so fried that if you have curly hair like I do (did), it then turns to frizz. SO I decided after my last salon experience (this one at an Aveda salon where they claim the color technique is healthier, and ended up with the same frizzy, faded result) to take matters into my own hands and try something I did years ago- Apply a semi permanent rinse that would wash out in six-eight shampoos and bring my root growth and my blond together, while coating and protecting the faded ends. I should also mention that my base color is a light ash brown with some gray in it. Well- I purchased a Semi Permanent hair color (Loving Care also used to have something close to this, which I loved, and which they no longer make) in several shades to try out. I started with the lightest shade, Gold, thinking this would be the safest way to go- You know, tone down the faded blond and add some shine to the roots. Well- No such luck! I guess because my hair was SO porous that the color I applied looked nothing like the lovely gold I thought it would be. Rather, I had the most garish shade of orange/auburn. Dreadful! I applied a vinegar rinse and shampooed my little heart out… No luck. The next day, I shampooed several times again (supposed to wash out, right?). Then I just had a lighter shade of orange. Clearly, this was not going to end well… I thought about putting a darker rinse on my hair, but was afraid of looking garish. Then, through this site, I found Hair Oops. Found it in the store and rushed home to do a strand test… So far, so good! Applied it to my entire head (and yes, it stinks to high hell) and checked the color every five minutes… thought it would not take long, since the color I’d applied was only a rinse and had been on only two days. However, I guess because my hair was so porous, it took the entire 20 minutes. I thought the instructions to rinse for 15 minutes must have been a misprint, but I wasn’t taking any chances… I rinsed like crazy in the sink (not for the full time, I admit), then shampooed, then shampooed again and let that sit on my hair for a bit, then into the shower and rinsed, rinsed, rinsed. Then a deep conditioner.

STUNNING RESULTS. Here is the really interesting part… My hair looks like it was JUST highlighted! Shiny, shimmering, golden highlights. AND even the roots look highlighted! There is so much shine on my hair, I can hardly believe it. I am now wondering if the last time I got it color woven if perhaps it didn’t just dull the whole thing. I suppose that now I have just highlighted hair. I intend to put a protective glaze over it. But the great news is, I can go probably another month before I attempt once again to do anything with the color. I doubt I will put another rinse on it, probably will have a tinted glaze professionally applied. But I tell you- This product is AMAZING. And my hair feels healthier than it has in ages. Recommended!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/4/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by strawberrymelons

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been dying my hair dark brown for 5 years now and although I love the dark brown color my natural is very light ash brown, so the contrast between the roots and the rest of the hair is really noticeable. Sick of dying my hair every month to mask this contrast, I decided to go back to my natural color...

I read all the reviews on MUA before I purchased this product. I followed the directions and made sure to not make the mistakes that some people did in their reviews. My hair is really long and thick, it goes right below my boobs, so I bought two boxes of Color Oops. I applied it to my hair and left it in for 20 minutes. After that I rinsed for 25 minutes and believe me my knees were trembling and my back hurt so much from leaning on the bathtub but I told myself I had to suck it up if I want good results. While I was rinsing I didn't see any colour(dye) rinsing out of my hair what so ever so I thought wow I just suffered through this horrendous smell for nothing. I then left in a conditioner for 15 minutes and rinsed again. After this extremely long process I dried my hair and it only lightened one shade from what I had before and no one would even be able to tell except for me. I was expecting way more considering all the reviews that I have read. Taking that into account I am really disappointed and would definitely not buy this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2013 3:57:00 AM More reviews by Freudianasaurus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been dying my hair for over ten years, multiple times a year. You name a color, I've used it: every shade of red imaginable, black, bleach, henna, etc. I have layers upon layers of color on my poor strands. I've wanted to go back to my natural tint for a long time, to facilitate hair growth, but I was afraid of using bleach for obvious reasons.

I was initially skeptical when I picked it up. I mean, how is 20 minutes and a fifteen minute rinse going to even approach undoing years and years of red dye? I didn't expect it to lift much, but it was worth a try, and a sight better than using bleach on my already damaged hair.

The packaging is pretty terrible, but I'm not looking for anything artsy and cutesy. I'm looking for something that works, and I'm not going to realistically spend time staring at it before actually putting the product on my head. The instructions, cap, and gloves are neatly folded into a plastic bag that was semi-hard to pry open, but you've got to give them points for neatness, at least.

I'm going to be honest: the product itself smells like burnt hair and rotting eggs. It's the sulphur. It's not a pleasant application experience, by far. The only good thing about the application is that I found it much easier to evenly distribute the product with my gloved fingers. It's a lot thinner than hair dye, so my application time was cut in half.

The most rigorous and tiring part of the whole process is the rinsing stage. You have to spend a minimum of 15 minutes in the shower, but I wanted to see the MAXIMUM potential of this product, so I stuck it out in the shower for at least thirty minutes. I had a lot of shedding, which is to be expected after you chemically treat your hair to strip the dye out of it. Sure, thirty minutes later my neck was hurting and my hair was massively tangled, but it was pretty amazing to see pinkish water running into the drain every time I squeezed. I used Mane n' Tail conditioner after I rinsed and it seemed to bring my moisture back, like, threefold.

After blow-drying, I was totally amazed: my hair was lifted around five shades from the dark, dark auburn it was before. Now, it was more of a reddish/pumpkin blond. In addition to that, there was minimal damage, and my hair felt only slightly dry. To me, the end result was even better than your standard nourishing dye application. My hair is rarely shiny after a box dye job, but this stuff made it super soft and shiny. Not to mention: A WHOLE FIVE SHADES LIGHTER.

I haven't yet achieved my original shade, but it'll only take one more application of Oops to get it back to where it is, and maybe a toning shampoo to stamp out some of the inevitable brassiness. Overall, Color Oops exceeded my expectations. Over ten years of dye-jobs, and my hair is only one treatment away from where it used to be. Unbelievable.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by MedusaSant

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay, I JUST finished the long, long rinse and I've gotta say: I'm impressed with how much black the Color Oops removed from my hair.
I've been dying my hair black for years (like, 15 years) and decided that since I'm going to be cutting off a good chunk of length: I'll Splat it Lavender till I do. I figured that pulling as much black out first will help to make the Lavender more vibrant (fingers crossed.)
Please people, READ THE DIRECTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM BEFORE YOU USE THE COLOR OOPS. It is NOT a bleach, it will NOT remove natural color. What this does is shrink the color molecules so they can be RINSED OUT... If you skimp on the rinsing, you're going to be very upset when the removal seems to reverse itself as the remaining color swells back up in the hair and your hair gets darker again.
Also, as soon as you mix the product you have to get it onto your hair FAST, once it's mixed it is only effective for 20 minutes. Doesn't matter if its on your head or in the bottle while you take your time fiddling with your hair- 20 minutes and then its done doing what it does. So be quick!
If you have thick or long hair you will likely need a second kit. If you've been dying your hair for a long time, you might need to repeat the process, this product is most effective at removing THE MOST RECENT DYE YOU'VE USED.
I'm happy with the results, but I read up on this stuff and knew that it wouldn't remove ALL of the black from my hair (it certainly removed a lot of it though, impressive for something that is not bleach.)
Understand that all permanent haircolor contains some sort of peroxide ingredient, so there is a good chance that if ColorOops does pull all the color out, your hair will be a couple shades lighter than it naturally is.
If you're planning on dying your hair right afterwards, your hair will be very, VERY porous and will grab the color like mad... So, choose a shade AT LEAST one shade lighter than you want because it will be darker than you think.
If you have even the slightest sensitive skin for the love of all thats holy DO A PATCH TEST 24 hours in advance of using this stuff!!!
Good luck, this stuff is a viable alternative for going and getting the salon to strip the color out with bleach. You get what you pay for, for 15 bucks you're not going to get salon results but its worth a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 9:48:00 PM More reviews by belle666

This product works way better than bleach when hair colour goes too dark, and I'm so happy this is now in Canada. I used the extra strength because it was the only one available. I tried to dye my hair a medium auburn that went way too dark. The formula is thin enough to comb through hair to ensure all of the hair is covered. There was just enough formula to cover my medium/long thin hair, so anyone with more hair than me should consider buying a second box (that's where they get you). The product has a sulfur like smell but it was more bearable than expected after reading other reviews. After several minutes of shampooing and rinsing later, my hair was a medium/dark coppery colour (hydrogen peroxide in hair colour lightens the hair before delivering pigment, so that's what it looks like under all that colour). They really delivered on the promise of very little damage, my hair felt almost the same as before.

Now trying to get back to a more natural shade (light ash brown for me): It's important to buy a dye that is one or shades lighter than your desired colour because the hair is very porous after chemical treatments and losing its pigment (same goes if you bleach) and will pick up too much pigment leading to a very dark colour. I purchased Garnier Belle Color in Dark Ash Blonde. The new dye should only be left on hair for about 5 minutes or so because porous hair grabs dye fast. I was very pleased with the results and is the best way to correct colour without a professional.