Boots Mattifying Make-up Base

3.1

on 8/19/2015 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool

This primer takes some getting used to for sure. But the trick is to press it in and just use a pea size amount and work on sections of your face. I also like to apply a small amount to my face then use a stippling brush to blend it in. This product definitely has a learning curve to it but once you figure out your method of application that works for you this primer is amazing! It is literally bulletproof. I go surfing, running, swimming and my makeup does not come off!! I went surfing just as a crazy test not expecting it to last but my makeup did not budge. Holy grail status highly recommend to everyone with very oily skin!

on 7/10/2014 12:07:00 AM

I loved this product for the first two weeks, BUT then...started flaking into little balls when i would try to work it into my skin. Perhaps a bad batch, but I ended up just throwing it away 80% full.

I have oily and acne prone skin and I have been looking for a great primer that won't cause my face to become more oily, move my makeup around, and last longer than a few hours.
This mattifying primer is what I've been looking for!! Not only is it great for the skin, just because it is from an awesome, healing skin care line, but because of this product my makeup lasts the majority of my day. Towards the end of the day, my nose may get a little shiny, but I do have more oily skin compared to others.
The primer is white and creamy, and as soon as you blend it into the skin you feel it mattify and stick to your skin.
If it works this great for my oily skin, I can only imagine what it would do for someone with normal skin!!
I have found my daily go to primer, and will continue to purchase this.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

This product really does what it claims to. It's a huge step in my makeup routine, and makes all the difference in the world.

It's very mattifying, and your makeup lasts a really long time with this primer. I stayed over at a friend's place after a party and didn't get a chance to cleanse my face, but in the morning (after my usual blotting off of the oil), my makeup still looked good! It was considerably sheerer and the coverage had kind of faded, but I was surprised to find my foundation hadn't broken down. No splotchy redness peaking through.

It also regulates oil production. My face still gets oily throughout the day but not obscenely so (the way it usually does), and I blot my face A LOT less than usual.

My skin is also extremely congested, and I find this doesn't block my pores at all, which is a huge surprise for me, because white heads tend to break out on my skin like it's a party.

A little also goes a long way. In fact, DO NOT even attempt to apply more in the hopes of an even more matt face, all that does it cause your foundation to cake instantly. Just squeeze out a tiny amount, dot it over a certain area of your face AT A TIME, and rub it in, and repeat until you've done your whole face. It doesn't spread easily, and settles fast, so you have to do this quick.
It's for this reason I don't find this too pricey, even though the tube is pretty small for what you pay. You use so little at a time anyway, so I think this will last me a very long time.

It is a tricky product, with a very specific way of using, so not all will like this. And this product is STRICTLY for those with oily skin. It is very matt, no exaggeration, and is quite drying. I think it will work well for combination skin if applied only on the oily areas. I would recommend this product.

EDIT: Recently changed my foundation to something more matte and suitable for oily skin (Shiseido perfect refining foundation), and found this primer was totally unsuitable for it. Was way too drying, and my foundation went on patchy in certain places, and crumbled after a few hours). However, it did work wonderfully for my Revlon nearly naked foundation and Laura Mercier TM though.
So my rating goes down for this product by a star. Not a versatile product. At all.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I would NOT recommend this as an all over face primer!

This is however great as a mattifying cream for your oily areas! I apply my regular primer all over my face and then on my T-zone I apply the Boots primer and it keeps me oil-free all day! It is amazing! I would recommend this to people with combo to oily skin as only a mattifying cream for specific areas of your face.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Being honest, this is one of the best mattifying creams ever. That being said, this is NOT a primer. This mattifies, but it does not prime. It leaves slight white cast, and also can make the foundation applied directly over it look cakey. I recommend using your normal primer after this, it will smoth out any lines or pores. Other than that, this product is ace :)

It definitely works but the effect does not last as long as I wish it would.

on 8/23/2013 6:37:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Girsl that hate this for the face please read!
Ok so i really hated this primer on my face...it was horrible...dried up quick and got weird and flaky and not to mention it has ingredients that can make people with acne prone skin break out....
BUT....
after having it in my drawer for so0o0o0o0o0o long i finally found a use for it!

this may sound weird but i tried it as a eyelash primer and it worked great for me....
i first put on the mascara and then some of this with an extra mascara wand i had laying around...then the mascara on top of this and my eyelashes are crazy thick and big...

now beware and make sure to be careful around the eye...thats why i put the original mascara first so this product wouldnt directly touch my eye....
so far i havent had any bad eye reactions but if anyone knows about a ingredient in this to be harmful for the eyes please let me know asap!

also...it can be used as eyeshadow primer....

so dont feel like the money is completely waste...hope this helped or gave an idea to someone trying to find a use for this primer

I have tried almost all of the primers currently on the market. From Benefit's Porefessional to Becca's Evermatte to NYX's Porefiller. You name it, I've tried it. I keep searching for a holy grail primer because I really need one in order to look good. My face sort of looks like a pizza before I apply make up. It's always greasy, & has both huge pores + acne scarring all over.

Keeping that in mind, here are a few primers I *have* really loved & mentioned in past reviews: Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer & Neutrogena Shine Control Primer. Boots Mattifying MU Base is almost the lovechild of these two, with all of the pros but none of the cons.

I'm really surprised by all the negative reviews on this product. I will admit though, this primes is thick & dries quickly. Thus if you don't find the proper technique to apply it - your make up will look cakey. I had the same problem with my beloved Revlon primer but could never sheer it out due to all the silicone ingredients.

Here is how I use Boots Mattifying MU Base: mix it with foundation & water then apply with a beautyblender sponge. Most primers are applied before foundations to "prime" the skin but this product dries too quickly to be applied seperately. Don't let that sway you away, this technique still serves the desired purpose. The results are amazing coverage, minimized pores, & shine control. It gives a very polished, natural look. I live in the humid south currently & this has kept me matte the longest.

on 7/3/2013 4:04:00 PM

This stuff was terrible. It was very difficult to both apply and blend, which led to me having to use a ton of product to cover my face. As if that weren't reason enough to dislike this product, after applying the primer, it was impossible for me to apply foundation with a normal foundation brush or a stippling brush. Using my fingers worked moderately well, but the only thing that applied my MUFE Mat Velvet+ over top in a semi-normal way was my beauty blender. However, even with the beauty blender, it looked cakey, it looked like my skin was peeling, and there was just nothing attractive about the finish. Although it obviously did mattify my face for the five minutes I had it on, I am returning this product immediately. Would not recommend to anyone!!!

Popular Primer/ Correctors