July 29, 2014 | 932 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70

rated 2 of 5 on 6/5/2014 1:34:00 PM More reviews by Bclancy

I, like many others, was attracted to this sunscreen because of the high spf. I think that's the main selling point of this sunscreen. I got it last fall. I have since learned a little more about sunscreen and I think this sunscreen's spf is too high, for me at least. Here's what I've heard about spf: the spf number doesn't tell you how complete the protection is, only how long it will last. You take the number of minutes it would normally take you to turn pink(burn or begin to tan) normally without any sunscreen and multiply that number by the spf number. Let's say it takes me about ten minutes in the sun to start tanning/burning sans sunscreen. 10 times 70 spf equals 700. I would theoretically be able to spend seven-hundred minutes in the sun while wearing this sunscreen and not tan. Seven hundred minutes equals more than eleven hours! That may sound great, but notice I said theoretically. The truth is that I would probably sweat most of the sunscreen off in less than two hours. In the real world there is no way a sunscreen is going to last on skin for eleven hours. It needs to be reapplied every few hours regardless of spf. Furthermore, I don't know about you, but I have NEVER spent eleven consecutive hours in the sun in my life. I need a good sunscreen because I get a lot of sun walking to and from work. But I'm only out in the sun for at most 20 minutes at a time. Unless you are a life guard, a beach bum, or a laborer I'm guessing you probably don't spend more than a couple hours in sun at a time on an average day. And if you spend more than that, you absolutely need to reapply your sunscreen. Even if it's spf 70. Even if it's spf 100. So even if there isn't a huge benefit to high spf sunscreen, can it hurt? Better safe than sorry, right? Well actually, this isn't neccesarily the case. If you have sensitive or breakout prone skin, the higher the spf means the greater the risk of irritation or exacerbating acne. In my experience, higher spf sunscreens are more likely to be greasy, heavy and leave a whitish cast. The texture of this sunscreen is no different; greasy, heavy and occlusive. I think for the price it's a pretty small tube as well. Especially for a product meant to be used on the body. I've heard that a very common problem with high spf sunscreens is that people think because the spf is so high, it's ok to apply sparingly. I'm sure you know better, but the average consumer may not. And don't you think selling an all-over sunscreen in such a small amount would seem to bolster or encourage such notions? "It's pricey for such a small tube, but it's ok, a little goes a long way." Anyway, believe it or not, none of these things are the deal breaker for me. The deal breaker is the smell. The scent of this stuff represents everything I hate about "sunscreen-ey" smells, but amplified. I find it much too strong to ignore. I'm not against all fragrance in sunscreen, I just hate that typical fragrance associated with sunscreen. I'm not sure why, but a lot of sunscreens have this scent, or slight variations of it. It's as though all the huge corporations that own most DS skincare and suncare lines got together and decided how sunscreen is supposed to smell. I hope you know what I'm talking about. This fragrance is potent and cloying and clashes with all of my perfumes. Actually it totally overpowers them. Lastly, I should mention that because this product is thick and doesn't have much slip, it's not the easiest to apply, and more importantly reapply. It takes a good amount of rubbing in to get even coverage and avoid streaking. You cannot just smooth this on in a hurry or touch it up on your face without a mirror. For all these reasons I won't use this stuff. I much prefer my Trader Joe's Enrich Moisturizer, plain old spf 15. It has a light silky texture that glides on so easily, it's not greasy, and no white cast. I can pretty much just slather it on without carefully rubbing it in. I can reapply in public with no mirror. It's completely fragrance free and very gentle on my face. Best of all it's $4 for four oz. so I can use it all over my body for only a few cents per use. And the spf is adequate for the amount of sun I get on a daily basis.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2013 6:53:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I usually use the dry-touch SPF 30 formula, which I like a lot. I got a few little sample bottles of this SPF 70 version and threw one into my bag before heading to the coast one day.

It did protect my skin from the sun, but I wouldn't recommend this. It doesn't absorb into the skin, but sits on top in white swirls and crumbles. It's actually even sort of tough it wash off in the shower. Makes skin feel icky.

Stick to the SPF 30 version of this and you'll be happy.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2013 3:09:00 AM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is going to be a ridiculously hard review for me to write, simply because I'm unsure if I'm just not satisfied with Neutrogena's Dry-Touch Sunblock in SPF 70 or if I'm just unsatisfied with what TYPE of product it is. You see, I haven't been in love with any of the sunscreens that I've tried thus far and this one is really no different. Maybe I just hate all sunscreens?
After reading reviews for this here on MUA, I figured that Dry-Touch might be the sunscreen for me given it's matte namesake. I thought, "Matte? Sure!", merely because all my previous sunscreens had been horrifically thick and greasy, making my skin feel like it was completely suffocating. I dreaded putting them on in the morning. Dry-Touch only made it's case stronger when I discovered that it was reasonably priced because while La Roche Posay may supposedly make an excellent sunscreen, I don't have La Roche Posay kinda money. Dry-Touch was easy to find and came in the high SPF factors that may not make much of a difference but definitely make me feel a little safer than I might otherwise. There was a bit of conflicting information on whether or not this sunscreen was photo-stable, which in a nutshell means that the product doesn't degrade in factor as it takes in sunlight. Neutrogena alludes to their Helioplex technology (that this sunscreen employs) as being photo-stable but I'm not entirely sure. At any rate, it's extremely hard to find sunscreens that are: A. Relatively cheap and easy to find, B. Doesn't irritate my skin, C. In high SPF factor AND photo-stable, AND D. Aren't greasy. Neutrogena Dry-Touch seemed to fit the bill so I was anxious to pick it up.
Initially after purchasing this, I was pretty thrilled by how matte and yet still light feeling it is when you first apply it. The matte texture does, however, come with a price. The consistency of this product is very heavy. The closest comparison that I can make to it is Elmer's glue. It's definitely not bendable and must be worked with in sections to ensure that is worked in thoroughly. Failure to blend this properly creates white streaks that make their appearance after the sunscreen has set. By the time they make themselves known, you're already out doing whatever stuff you do, maybe even walking around in public with these weird chalky lines across your face. Not that I know this from experience though...*Cough* Because of how fussy Dry-Touch is, it's hard to wear a lot of it (i.e. the recommended amount for the face/neck region) without getting streaking or tugging on your face too much to blend it out.
Another point that I'd like to address is that on me, Dry-Touch doesn't remain dry at all. After about an hour or so, it begins to make my face excessively oily- pretty much as oily as other sunscreens I've tried have been. Along with the greasy effect also comes that dreaded coated feeling. Not only does it look as though I could fry chicken on my face, it also feels like I'm coated in vegetable oil. I can't wait to get this off of me at the end of the day. My skin is combination but overall not very oily at all, so I'm really at a loss as to why this happens to me while wearing sunscreen. It's worth noting also that this drys my hands out in the worse way imaginable.
All the sunscreens that I've tried have been really difficult to remove and Dry-Touch is the same way. It's crazy to me how even though the SPF factor essentially wears off over time the horrible coated feeling subsists. It's always really hard for me to tell that I've removed every last bit of it. This may contribute to the irritation that I experience after wearing it for a few days in a row though I'm really beginning to suspect that I'm allergic to something in sunscreen in general. After a few days in a row of wearing Dry-Touch, red patches or irritation and bumps begin to appear across my forehead. They take days to subside and only worsen when I'm going out and again require more sunscreen for protection. It doesn't help matters that I tanned slightly this summer even while wearing this religiously. Ugh.
If you can't tell already, I definitely won't be repurchasing Neutrogena's Dry-Touch in SPF 70. For something that is essential to wear daily, I think you really need to be happy with whatever product you use. Maybe that's too much to ask for? I guess I'll have to keep searching to find out.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 6:35:00 PM More reviews by rebelgium

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I absolutely ADORE this sunblock. I don't think there is a better sunscreen out there than this one. Normally when summer arrives I am a huge mess searching up & down for the perfect sunblock and well the summer of 2013 was my year, this sunscreen is just brilliant!! I have extremely fair skin and so I haven't noticed any white cast whatsoever. I use this all over, especially my face and it doesn't break me out at all. I am someone who hasn't experienced pimples or any type of skin problem (lucky me). During the summer, I usually get pretty bad tan lines on my feet from flats or sandals and I hate it. My feet are like the only thing that tan on my body (why!?) anyway, I applied this every time I wore sandals and sheesh, I didn't get ONE tanline hehe. All in all I LOVE this sunscreen and plan on buying this whenever I run out. I love the smell too, it's just a regular sunscreen smell but I love that smell far too much, it's very faint so no worries for those who don't agree with the sunscreen smell.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2013 3:02:00 PM More reviews by Barbie15

I love this sunscreen. I actually wear it underneath my foundation with my Josie maron argon oil and it leaves my face moisturized with the protection I need. I dont really notice a white cast as I dont apply too much of it I dot several areas on my skin and blend then I apply my Josie Maron Argan oil (which is amazing) and then apply my foundation (estee lauder double wear) and it looks great! I highly reccommend, my dermatologist actually recommended me this product. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2013 3:33:00 AM More reviews by Mewables

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Got a small sample tube of this- possibly the best sunblock I have tried! I can't stand how greasy sunblocks are, even when oil is not in the ingredients! It does leave a slight white cast when used on face, just make sure to blend it in really well. I don't burn easily, so I don't even really need the full SPF 70 on the label. This didn't make me break out, feels light and dry. I use this on my tattoos, back of hands and face when I'm out all day. Price is a bit high for drugstore brand, but I suppose I can wait for a sale. And I guess it is a bargain compared to high-end stuff like la Roche-Posay! For days I'm in the sun all day, I don't mind springing for a really good sunblock, and this fits the bill, just a no-nonsense sunblock that protects and wears well.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2013 8:14:00 PM More reviews by Simpliciti3

I am very adamant about protecting my skin from the sun, so I always wear a sunscreen. I like to buy this from Costco because they always sell this for a good deal, especially when you use a coupon.

This sunblock does the job of a sunblock, I don't burn nor do I get darker. I find that I don't need to reapply this to keep the skin protection up (generally speaking, this isn't really an issue for me with other sunblocks.

This sunblock does feel a bit greasy, but it kind of fades away after a few minutes.

I find that I do get an issue with white streaks with application. To avoid this, make sure to not apply to much and to blend it into your skin. What I do is rub the sunscreen between my fingers to warm it up. Then when I apply it on I rub it into my face (not too harshly) Then I let it set into my skin for a minute or so. After it sets I check up on my skin, and if there are white streaks I just blend those out.

This sunblock does get oily in maybe 3 hours more or less, but I always get oily anyway so its not surprising. It does smell like sunblock, but the scent is not very strong compared to sport sunscreens like coppertone or banana boat.

Overall, this sunscreen does the job of a sunscreen. I would repurchase (and I have before) because it works and its affordable.

I would recommend if you're looking for a sunscreen that doesn't irritate or break the skin out, doesn't get too greasy compared to sport sunscreens and has a higher spf.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2012 9:40:00 PM More reviews by p4percut

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

While this sunscreen is very matte, it is also pretty thick and leaves a white cast on my face. It doesn't combine well with Revlon CS foundation either so the foundation ends up looking spider-web-y on my skin. I did not get freckles this summer so it is effective.

I just bought the SPF55 version to see if it is better with the foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2012 2:00:00 AM More reviews by MissxCindy

I like the feel of it and it is not too thick. I am able to use this on my face without it feeling too greasy.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2012 4:24:00 PM More reviews by HannahBeth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this as a face primer because I'm not happy about the level of SPF in my foundation and I'm paranoid about tanning and skin damage.

I absolutely adore it as a primer. I notice a serious difference in makeup wear and shininess when I don't have it on under my foundation.

I don't notice any scent and while it makes my cranky skin a little red when I first apply (only a dollop. Too much gets ugly fast.), it quickly goes back to normal and I put on the rest of my face just fine.