November 27, 2014 | 1293 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Mineral Powder SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2014 8:50:00 PM More reviews by vanillatobacco

I can't give this stuff five stars, because it's not perfect. It's really a great foundation though. Definitely a "trusty favourite" of mine. My only problems with it aren't faults of the product.

Problem 1 - I have the palest shade, but the colour is a touch too dark. Often times in the winter it's notably too dark and I can't use it. My skin's super pale though. It will oxidize and turn a darker, yellower shade in a few hours.

Problem 2 - Will go shiny on oily skin pretty quickly, and will look chalky on dry skin. Once again, I can't blame the product, as I have rather bipolar skin that can't decide if it's oily or dry. It will settle in nicely on skin that's a touch oily, but will need touch ups because it goes shiny.

The Good - Application is pretty difficult to mess up if you have a decent brush. You can use your fingers and use it under your eyes. It goes on quite evenly and smoothly. Easy to touch up. It stays on really well and doesn't smear or transfer. I don't find that it upsets my skin or causes break outs at all. I've never had it leak or spill. And most importantly, it looks nice - it's not a matte finish, but not too "luminous".

Overall, I love it dearly, and probably will always use it. Not every day, but when my skin's "normal" it works fantastically.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2014 10:43:00 PM More reviews by lovethekings

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

Absolute favourite powder foundation. I wear this in the summer time when I have a tan and it makes my skin glow. Pretty good coverage although I would recommend a concealer underneath if you happen to have a pimple. Will definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/31/2014 2:39:00 AM More reviews by CeruleanNight

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have this foundation in Real Sand. My skin type is combination/sensitive, with some hyperpigmentation from previous acne and occasionally one or two spots. I don't have huge pores but they're not small either.

Method of application:
1. Apply concealer to problem areas, let dry.
2. Light dusting of pressed powder (Physician's Formula Mineral Pressed Powder) all over using Real Techniques Powder Brush
3. Lightly buff in Laura Mercier Mineral Powder using Real Techniques Buffing Brush, applying 2 layers to problem areas

Pros:
- Packaging is good and you get lots of product (I still have half and I have used almost daily for 4 months)
- Colour is almost perfect (slightly too dark in winter but will be great in summer)
- Finish is beautiful (not completely matte, satin finish that highlights contours naturally)
- Does not cause breakouts or irritate my sensitive skin
- Buildable to medium coverage without caking
- Blushes and bronzers go on smooth and pigmented on top

Cons:
- Lasting power is not great, starts to break down in nose area in 6-8hrs (using my method of application it lasts a bit longer)
- Takes a bit of time to apply nicely, considering you have to shake a little bit into the lid at a time (but this is probably a problem with all mineral powders)
- Not suitable for oily skin (this product does not control oil at all)

Conclusions:
I really like this foundation and the way it makes my skin look for the first 6 hours or so. I just wish it lasted a bit longer! But I guess I have liquid foundation for those days I need coverage and staying power. Even when this powder breaks down after 6-8 hours it is by no means terrible - my face still mostly looks nice aside from a bit of cakiness on the sides of my nose and under my bottom lip. I will continue to wear this as my daily foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2014 1:04:00 PM More reviews by 14coopera

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the best foundation I have ever used! Doesn't give your face that boring, matte dullness or oily, but it highlights and looks so natural and beautiful. Plus, this is the only foundation that I can wear every single day without breaking out. I've been using this for a month and a half or so, and it has helped make my skin look fantastic every single day. Thank you Lauren Mercier for creating such a wonderful product!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/31/2014 3:03:00 AM More reviews by whenuwakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Color I bought: Rich Vanilla.
I think I am between NC35~NC40, with strong yellow undertone, red areas all over face, large pores, acne-prone.

It blends very well upon first application. Can build coverage quite easily.
Oil controlling ability is pretty good but HD powder from makeup forever keeps my face oil free slightly better.

Without primer, powder sinks into my large pores on nose. Blotting then applying more powder makes the problem worse and my makeup becomes blotchy because the gunk in the pores don't redistribute very easily ;p, unlike other more moisturizing foundations.

Otherwise, it's a great weightless foundation that provides great coverage and some spf.

EDIT:
It breaks me out a little, speeds up whitehead production like nothing else, and seems to accentuate blemishes and fine lines.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2014 12:59:00 AM More reviews by nathalierae

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm not one to splurge on makeup products, but I'm glad I spent $38 on this the other day. I absolutely love it! I'm very much a bb/cc/tinted moisturizer kind of girl, but I've been trying to find a decent mineral foundation for sensitive skin--one that didn't contain a bunch of unnecessary ingredients. In addition to being very sensitive, my skin can get somewhat oily in the T-zone with mild acne from time to time, and the rest of my face is normal to dry depending on the season. Without a primer, this lasts about 5-6 hours without looking shiny on me. It doesn't cake up and has excellent coverage. I have yet to try it with a primer, but I can only assume that it will look flawless all day. I'm in college & I commute for quite a ways in the mornings, so I don't like spending a vast amount of my time applying makeup. A little concealer, topped off with this and my skin looks great! The shade "real sand" works very well with my half white and half latino complexion. The packaging is also very practical--it has a plastic swivel lid inside to close the sifter. I wish every loose powder could be packaged this way.

EDIT: The review I did of this was a bit premature, since I had only worn it once at the time. I used this on and off for about 3 weeks but ended up returning it. For $38, I expected it to have much more staying power. It would get patchy near the areas where I applied concealer after only a few hours. After about 4 hours of wearing it, my skin would become oilier than usual--as opposed to other mineral products which minimized oil. I only consider my skin more on the oily side during the summer, but even so, every face makeup product I've tried in the past couple of years never actually increased my oil production. Not only that, but it made my skin kind of itchy in areas where I got oily (this probably contributed to some of the patchiness, though I don't think it should be getting itchy at all). I always feel like I'm applying too much product with very little pay off too.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2014 5:17:00 PM More reviews by harls321

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It is a good mineral foundation but it didn't wow me like the high reviews I read all over the internet. I am a medium skin tone and matched to Rich Vanilla. The match was good and the coverage was nice but I found it to be too shimmery for my oily skin. I prefer LM oil free tinted moisturizer instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2014 7:27:00 PM More reviews by addkg777

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

this powder was pretty nice. theres sooo much product and itll last forever. the only thing that killed it for me was the shimmer. i cant do it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2014 6:23:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've only tried a couple of mineral powders but I think I might have to give up. I like the fact that this didn't irritate my sensitive skin, but that's about it.

BareMinerals was super-drying and heavy on me, and broke me out. SilkNaturals looked really cakey and felt itchy. I figured I'd try LM's version to try and achieve that nice sheer-matte finish with just a little bit of coverage for my trouble spots and redness. The good news: it didn't dry me out at all and I was able to find a color match right off the bat -- the lightest one was a little too dark for me in winter, but it's perfect for summertime.

The bad news: it "gave" me pores. My skin is not even close to oily and my pores are, thankfully, pretty small. However, with this stuff, my pores were more emphasized than if I were wearing no makeup at all. I tried it without moisturizer underneath and it was better, but still pretty pore-y. I've attempted every technique and brush type known to man and I just can't get it to smooth out. If there's a learning curve to MMU, I've either missed it by a mile or my skin type is just not compliant with mmu formulations.

I guess I could use it with a primer, but that kind of defeats the purpose of an easy, light, one-step process. So this powder has been demoted to my concealer-setting powder in summertime.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2014 12:37:00 AM More reviews by lillyalice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I reviewed this after the 2nd day i wore it and gave it 5 lippies, as I thought it was outstanding. After 2 weeks my skin has broken out and I am now noticing this powder accents pores. I never have even noticed pores on my face before i used this foundation.....This powder really accentuates them!

Im so disappointed as it does give a beautiful finish except for the pore enhancing, and its also a tad too pearly shimmer. (even used with primers)

I have used estee lauder double wear powder for years and its been my holy grail, dont know why i though i was ever going to find better, i will be going back to my estee lauder tomorrow.

If your skin can handle this product, then im sure its a beautiful product for some people. My skin is not overly sensitive, and I couldnt handle this a day longer...would not
recommend unless your skin handles anything you slap on it!