Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15

(Natural Beige, Soft Porcelain): Mica, Pearl Powder. ( /-): CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77947 (Zinc Oxide), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides). (Real Sand, Tender Rose, Rich Vanilla, Classic Beige, Pure Honey, Warm Bronze): Active Ingredient – Zinc Oxide. Ingredient: Pearl Powder. May Contain ( /-): Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

This powder is awesome. It gives nice coverage without being cakey, blurs my skin imperfections and gives it a polished look. Really love how finely milled it is and the smooth texture. The only con is that, on examining the amount in the container, you don't get very much. Since its so lightweight, I tend to use more, and I can see myself going through this quickly.

on 5/19/2015 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is divine.

I have it in both the loose and the compact version and I love them both equally.

I usually like to apply either the loose or the compact on top of my MAC face and body foundation and it gives a very natural finish. Such a good combination!

I have this in natural beige, and I'm NC30.

on 5/19/2015 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I tried Laura Mercier for a change from Bare Minerals. On the plus side you do get more powder for the same price, but apart from that I prefer BM as their powder seems finer (LM can look patchy) and BM seems more "glowy". The key to these products is getting the right colour match which only comes with trying them on in person. I have a super oily t-zone so both products cater to a natural (not too matte) look for people like me. If you have olive skin get a yellow "honey" based colour.

on 4/28/2015 7:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

My skin is horrendously dry, therefore I'm generally petrified of powders. I had heard that the Laura Mercier was a "dewy" powder and that it was very glowy after a few hours of wear. Once I heard this I decided to see if it was true for me and my dry skin, because if it didn't cling to dry patches and prolonged the wear of foundation then it would be a win! I find that the shade I have Real Sand (NC25 in Mac) is a great match for me, very yellow based so love that. Now, I have only used this over Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturiser, and have heard that it only goes well under specific liquid foundations. For me, I haven't used it with my other foundation so can't comment, but it goes on so smooth and lovely with the Nars TM underneath. It is true that this powder does not look cakey, or powdery in the traditional sense of the word. It isn't matte on first application, its more of a satin finish. Then after a couple hours wear your faces natural oils come through (now my face doesn't produce alot of oil so I'm happy when I can see that I'm a little shiny haha) and helps to give a very luminous look to my dry face.

Now I can understand how people with oily skin might think when they hear that, but I'm not talking from the point of few of someone with oily skin, so dry gals out there this is review is probably more up your alley. So after a couple hours of wear I notice that the natural oils will be coming through from my skin, but not breaking down the foundation and removing it. More like mixing and combining to make a luminous glow (this might sound gross but its true, I can't see any traditional patchy breakdown). It does extend the wear of my tinted moisturiser, which is a bonus, but I wouldn't say it extends it by that much. I didn't really get it for this purpose anyway, I'm not a big believer in trying everything that going to prolong foundation (primers, heavy foundations, powders, setting sprays) because I'm happy with the nature of makeup; its there to enhance, but eventually it will fade throughout the day and thats fine haha.

Now I am a packaging girl, I love packaging and the aesthetics of packaging design (Hourglass, Ellis Faas and Georgio Armani for me are brands with amazing packaging). I really don't like Laura Merciers packaging. The plastic to me feels so cheap, the colour is just nothing, I just don't know why I just don't like the packaging! But as with Benefit, it really doesn't matter when the product is so good. I'll overlook the crappy packaging haha.

I am actually seriously considering picking up the Pressed Powder version of the Loose Mineral Powder for my bag for touch ups, and I'm wondering if it will hold up against the loos version. All in all, such a great powder for dry skin gals.

I find this foundation to be very dependent on what you use underneath it. I have used Maybelline Baby Skin, L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base, and regular moisturizer beneath it with poor results. It will look cakey, thick, will turn shiny quickly, oxidize, and slide off.

Do you know what works underneath this? Neutrogena sunscreen. Works perfectly. Anything with a powder finish will work under this. Silicone oil will not.

(With the right primer) This stuff is amazing. IT'S SO PALE! YES! IT'S PALE ENOUGH! I don't think anyone understands how unusual it is to find an ultra-pale foundation. It's magical. And a good pale foundation? Wonderful :)

This is a hydrating powder, so it will not make your skin dry. It is still a powder though, so it does control some oil. I don't think it could handle extremes. Not sure about this settling in to heavy lines, but it doesn't settle on me. This is definitely a foundation, as it has heavy coverage for a powder. It covers redness very well. It is not matte, so it does not look like a mask. The finish is lovely and glowing. A kind of satin finish. The glowing look to it isn't quite as naturally flawless as Luminous Silk, but still very healthy. When wearing this I've been told that I look very "fresh faced". I don't really see how you could mess the application of this. It's very easy and quick.

This is an absolute keeper for me because I've found this actually improves my skin. I've never had another foundation do that. On wearing this for multiple days in a row, my pores will disappear. My skin is very sensitive, and this actually calms it.

It's pale enough, it looks good, and it makes my skin look nicer. To me, that is well worth $40. The container that I'm using I've had for over a year, and I'm only 2/3 through it, so the price is quite cheap if you think of it that way. I see that the shade selection is smaller than it used to be, which worries me that this may be discontinued. I don't think I could find something else that works this well. Bareminerals is too dark for me...

on 2/17/2015 12:39:00 PM

This pleasantly surprised me. I used to use the mineral powder by urban decay but of course that was discontinued. I found this actually gives me pretty good coverage. I don't like it as much as I liked UD but it works. Wish it was a little more buildable though and other colors available.

on 1/17/2015 12:04:00 AM

AMAZING. I have truly acne pronce & combo skin (I have an extremely oily t-zone with dry patches around). With my acne i'm not a fan of everyday liquid foundation use for many reasons- especially the way it looks on my skin in different lighting, with liquid you can almost always tell someone is wearing it which i dislike. With this, it really looks like skin even with more than one layer & it has never broken me out. I find it has builable coverage best when a dense kabuki or flattop brush is being used, you can build up coverage but obviously you will still need concealer for imperfections. However try not to use ore than two thin layers, it will sink into fine lines. It keeps me matte all day (keep in mind I do use a mattifying day cream & primer) and does not stick to dry patches. You can still see your skin through the makeup & does a wonderful job evening and perfecting skin tone. It doesn't have a funky smell & although it doesn't have a strong white cast in pictures, it doesn't photograph that well (face looks pale and washed out) so i don't recommend this for special occasions or pictures. Packaging for almost any mineral powder isn't the best, it will always be messy just learn to work with it and be careful. I also don't think you need a setting powder for this, stays all day with or without one. No this powder isn't wallet friendly, but if you're looking to really invest in a great powder I truly reccomend this to anyone with any skin type.

on 12/22/2014 7:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wanted to love you, Laura Mercier Mineral Powder foundation. You looked great, you came highly regarded, and your close-able packaging is far better than many other loose powder foundations. But - and this is a big but - you gave me the worst breakout I've ever experienced.
Something in this product (the mica, perhaps?) gave me cystic acne unlike anything I've ever experienced. By the time I figured out that my new foundation was to blame, I'd accumulated a face full of big, hard, raised bumps, which was about as fun (read: shitty) as you can imagine. I've tried a wide range of mineral powder foundations and have never had a reaction like this before, so I'd encourage anyone else to proceed with caution when it comes to this Laura Mercier ish.
Obviously YMMV (and I do concede that the powder is nicely milled and looked nice on the skin at first), but due to the breakout from hell I experienced, this gets a big fat "nope" from me.

on 12/7/2014 3:37:00 PM

I have used several mineral powders and actually bought this on a bit of a whim. I'm really impressed with it. I have this in Natural Beige and I actually thought this may be too dark as it appears slightly darker when first applied. After about 30 minutes it settles in to my skin and matches perfectly. I was worried about this oxidising as it's happened with other mineral powders but it stays the exact same shade. I would describe the coverage as light - medium. Highly recommend!

on 11/30/2014 8:37:00 AM

It give a nice healthy glow and matches perfectly the skin tone (I had "Real Sand"), covers up imperfections.

But :
- after a while it can make you look shiny.
- it can turn out to be acne prone (at least it was my case, and that's why I had to stop using it).