April 24, 2014 | 1367 users online

Shampoo - Joico - Joico Color Endure Violet Shampoo

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 4/23/2014 3:23:00 PM More reviews by Stanwyck

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

this is not for the Joico shampoo - just wanted to rec the Clairol purple shampoo you can buy at Sally's. Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo in the purple bottle. This one works.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by Nancygia

I had been meaning to review both the shampoo and conditioner, and then I saw KatWKSF's review and I agree with just about everything she said, so I am now putting in my two cents. My natural hair is dark ash blonde hair with no grays at 45 (genetic. My 96 year old grandfather just started going gray). I get highlights approximately every 6 months, with bleach, and will from now on make sure that this is what is done each time, and that the 10% formula is all that is used. I was visiting my parents in Florida in March, and my mom generously treated me to cut and color at the salon she goes to while she's in Florida for the winter. I regret saying yes, but cut and color is expensive, especially considering I live in Maryland and will only get my hair done in New York. The salon she goes to is an outpost of a very famous New York salon, and this salon only does balayage, as opposed to foils. I am personally not a fan of balayage for a number of reasons, one of which is I don't feel that it really lasts as long. In this case, the colorist used something (peroxide perhaps?) that caused my hair to oxidize. So instead of golden, beachy blonde highlights, I wound up with orange highlights. In a Crayola box, it would be the color yellow-orange. Mortifying and hideous. So I knew that a violet shampoo would help, and I purchased this one because it is supposedly more concentrated, and therefore, works faster, notwithstanding the high price. Well, first of all, I note that the directions on the bottle say to use it 2-3 times a week. So I was thinking, If I can use it this infrequently, am I going to see a dramatic difference in a week? Two weeks? Well, it's been 5 weeks, so somewhere around 15 uses of both the shampoo and conditioner, and my hair only looks slightly better. Not only that, I have to use another shampoo first, because due to it being sulfate free, this shampoo cleans poorly. I am not going to buy something else, because I am going to make sure this never happens to me again, but if I had it to do over, I definitely would have gone with John Frieda's version.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2014 2:30:00 PM More reviews by KatWKSF

This is the most recent of my purple shampoo acquisitions, and unfortunately it has not really faired any better than the others (for me). I had previously tried John Frieda's Sheer Blonde Color Renew shampoo, Kevin Murphy's blonde.angel treatment, and UNITE's Blonda shampoo, all purple shampoos/ treatments designed to get the "brass" out. My hairdresser dyed my hair a really pretty ash blonde last appointment; within 2 washes and less than a week, it turned a horrific red shade, especially at the ends. I was really horrified too because I always use color-safe and high-end products, not to mention I pay a premium to have the salon's owner do my color. Anyhow, I have been using a purple shampoo basically every time I shampoo (roughly every other day), and none of them have even slightly improved my brassiness. I find it almost comical that they warn not to leave it on for more than 3-5 minutes...I think I could probably leave it on for 24 hours and not see a change;) The product itself has a light, pleasant fragrance. It is sulfate-free, which is nice except that it does not lather in the stereotypical manner of sulfate-free shampoos (yes, there are sulfate-free shampoos that do lather). I definitely prefer a lathering shampoo. I don't usually have too much comment on packaging; as long as its functional enough, I don't generally care. But I am not loving the Joico shampoo and conditioner bottles. I have so much trouble unsnapping the lid when my hands are wet; the curvy bottle slides around in my hands and makes flipping the almost non-existent lip of the lid almost impossible. The price on this product was mid-end, not high-end and not drugstore cheap. But at around $16, I would expect a better performance. I like the lather and fragrance of the $7 John Frieda better than this. I am disappointed and will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 7:24:00 PM More reviews by catherinevary

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Although, I am not blonde anymore, I feel the need to share my love for this violet shampoo!

My natural color is a level 4-5 and as you probably guessed, having a nice cold platinum is really hard to achieve. I really wanted that ashy almost lavender tone of blonde, but my hair kept getting too yellow for me. However, this shampoo was really the best to keep it away from brassy tones. I think this is the most pigmented violet shampoo I have ever used, and without being drying the hair. it is sulfate-free, so for blondes, you really notice the difference especially for someone, like me, who bleached her hair.

The price is really good for all you have... Definitely recommend for all the boys/girls with blonde, silver hair !!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2014 7:32:00 PM More reviews by Shelleybean123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm in love. I love the whole Joico line, in general, but this takes the cake. This is my favorite violet shampoo and conditioner...period. I purchased mine from Cosmoprof, but you can also purchase it at Ulta and salons that carry Joico. Its is best to check Joico's website as to where to buy it. I have tried alot of violet shampoos. I have tried Paul Mitchell, AG, Aveda, Clairol, Tigi, generic, and drugstore brands plus many more. I have the best success with Joico's violet shampoo. Its smells good. It removes my brassy orange / yellow tones. The color of the product is a dark blue-violet. This is a very potent and strong shampoo. It is possible to over-tone your hair, meaning, you could get a violet or ashy cast to your hair depending on your hair's condition and porosity. It is a "toning" shampoo, meaning, you can use it as you would a "toner" instead of a shampoo. I use mine as both a toner and shampoo. It comes in liter bottles with a pump, a plus for me because I use this often. I often buy it in a two pack along with the conditioner, if you can get it on sale, even better.

This does eliminate brassy tones. If your goal is to achieve platinum, white, blonde hair your hair will need to be lightened to a PALE YELLOW. A pale yellow.....not orange, not orange-yellow, not peach, not gold, not lemon yellow, not banana yellow. You want the INSIDE of a banana yellow, not the outside. A creamy, vanilla tone or off-white or light buttery yellow is the perfect tone for toning it to platinum. That is the best way I can describe that. If your hair is not pale yellow and you want platinum, you may have to lighten your hair more. However, do NOT lighten it to WHITE, or you will risk breakage and hairloss. If you don't want platinum and just want to tone brassy tones, this will work fine for you too. Heck, I've even used this on dyed black hair and got a cool violet blue tone to my hair and loved it, too!

My recipe for platinum hair: (For toning only)

1. Start with day-old or 2-3 day-old hair. You want your natural oils on your scalp for protection against harsh chemicals like bleach and peroxide. Do not shampoo before bleaching. Always do a strand test and a sensitivity test, before you do your head.

2. Bleach hair; all-over or roots to a PALE YELLOW. I use a professional creme lightener with a 20 Vol developer. You can find decent ones at Sally's Beauty if you do not have a beauty license for professional distributors, like Cosmoprof. When in doubt, just go to a professional for hair lightening.

3. Once hair has reached the PALE YELLOW stage, I shampoo. I shampoo & rinse 2-3 times with Joico's K-PAK Color Therapy shampoo. I do NOT immediately condition my hair. I gently towel blot my hair with a towel to remove excess water. Then, gently comb through my hair to remove tangles.

4. I use a tinting bowl and tint brush to apply my Joico violet shampoo. I treat it as if it were a hair color, because it can and should be used that way. It is a "toning" shampoo, after all. You can buy tint bowels and tint brushes at Sallys or wherever sold. You can use a plastic container from the kitchen for all i care. lol

5. I apply plastic gloves, it can stain. I squirt 5-10 squirts of violet shampoo into a clean tint bowel, and use more squirts as I need it. I section my hair and start applying the shampoo with a tint brush to my roots first, and then pulling it down to the ends. I repeat this until my hair is fully saturated with the shampoo. Only then, will I gently massage the product into my hair so it becomes frothy, like normal shampooing, to further distribute the product around my head. I then apply a plastic processing cap to cover my head. Plastic wrap or a plastic bag will work too.

6. I process for 30-60 minutes. I have never left it on longer than an hour. You need to take into consideration the health of your hair. A strand test with the shampoo, is wise. It is possible to over-tone your hair, and get unwanted ashy or violet tones in your hair from the shampoo. If you do over-tone, it normally fades with repeated washing with normal or a chelating shampoo.

7. I rinse well and condition, heavily. I normally use Joico K-PAK Moisture Intense Hydrator and Deep-Penetrating Reconstructor. I will use a quarter size of each, mixing them well in the palm of my hands and run it through towel dried hair, finishing with a comb through. I apply a plastic cap and leave it on for a half-hour.

8. I rinse again. Towel dry. I apply a leave-in conditioner like, 'It's a 10' and also some Argan oil, mixed in. I let my hair rest, and air dry. No heat or styling.

*** I repeat this process every 1-2 weeks (MINUS THE BLEACHING) to keep my hair fresh and bright.

For maintenance: I will use the Joico violet shampoo alone or mixed with another shampoo while in the shower. I generally only leave it in for 3 minutes and rinse and condition. I may do this every other washing. It can be drying to the hair.

I hope this has helped someone. It was my intention to help you and share my experience. Happy blonding! :)

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/15/2013 12:10:00 AM More reviews by jazztap10

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The Joico violet shampoo has been my holy grail toning product for my blonde hair for years. Unfortunately they very recently changed the formula, also making it sulfate free. I thought this would be really cool at first as I've heard great things about sulfate free shampoos, but i notice almost zero toning from the product anymore. With the old formula, I used this shampoo once a week tops or I would go grey. Now, I use it every day, leaving it in 5-10 minutes each time, and ta da... yellow hair. Very very disappointed. I am trying to find something new now, and will never buy this shampoo again. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by StarAlexander

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Amazing amazing amazingggggggggg I finally got my hair to ashy beige blonde after years with gross uneven copper hair and 1000 s of $$$. I recommend this to everyone who's looking for a purple shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2013 1:03:00 AM More reviews by alisha546

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

One of the better purple shampoos I have found. I would say this and matrix so silver have worked the best for me. At the time I was looking, choices for a sulfate free purple shampoo were limited. I picked it up on sale at ulta in the liter size. I feel its very moisturizing which isnice when you have double processed hair like me plus the other ones ive tried are drying. Personally I don't use purple shampoos for cleansing as toning is the prim purposeto me so I wash my hair with another shampoo first and then put this in and let it sit. Therefore I can't attest to it not cleansing well and making hair greasy. I have an oily scalp and have been trying to wash every other day so that's why I wash twice cuz Then I can use less of this up. Next I want to try pravana , lee stafford and some horse shampoo I've seen raved about on youtube. I have tried and didn't see results from jhirmack, pantene silver something, goldwell, john frieda, and some matrix cond foam. Haven't tried matching conditioners cuz Im picky and my tangly fine hair has special needs and they don't seem like they have the pigment the shampoos have.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2013 10:51:00 AM More reviews by texasbeautyaddict

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I recently went platinum blonde again (about four weeks ago) and I have used the Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo (effective but left my hair feeling like straw), and the One N' Only purple shampoo which should be banished to the inner circles of Hell because of how terrible it made my hair felt.

I use both the shampoo and conditioner in this line, but I find the conditioner to not be as effective (as far as a conditioner it works well...not convinced on the toning).

I use the shampoo about twice a week and leave it in my hair for longer than stated (which if I'm not mistaken is about 3-5 minutes..I usually do 20 and get dressed/eat or something in the mean time). I do this because my hair tends to yellow faster and was stubborn during toning, and to be honest I'm kind of neurotic about not having yellow tinted hair. The shampoo does not dry my hair, smells great, is packaged well, and works wonderfully at zapping the brass. It can be a bit pricey, but to me, it is worth it in the long haul as it is a quality product.

I'm not sure about the reformulation of the product, but when I use it, it is definitely still a deep violet. Be careful during use that you are careful when you put it in your hair/rinse it out as the purple can get places. I haven't noticed that it stains anything permanently but you never know.

Overall- 5/5. This shampoo is wonderful...and it makes my hair look really cool when I'm using it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2013 12:22:00 PM More reviews by smashlers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used this product from Joico a few years ago, and I decided to try it again because as much as I like my AG Silver shampoo, I have started feeling like it wasn't purple/blue enough to help tone my blonde highlighted hair anymore and I am not sure why. I have previously tried Shimmer Lights, Joico, and a couple of other drugstore brands which were not tinted enough.
PROS:
- amazing smell
- toning well (better than my AG Silver - definitely noticeable when I am using it 3 times a week)
- lathers well
- priced well and available at drugstore
CONS:
- my normally oily hair is oily right after washing with it!
- after washing and drying my hair, it instantly has no volume
I also purchased the Joico Color Endure Violet Conditioner, and I do not find that it does anything. The shampoo is actually detangling enough that I usually use it by itself without a conditioner so that I can avoid any extra risk of oily roots and ends... but it hasn't made any difference. I love everything ELSE about the product and it would probably work well for anyone who doesn't have naturally oily hair. I am not sure if I will repurchase. I would like to try the Fudge brand next and see the results.