April 18, 2014 | 1868 users online

Powder - Make Up For Ever - Duo Mat Powder foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2014 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Blove14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have fairly oily skin and find this powder somewhat controls it for a few hours. Pros: - can build coverage - stays on the skin all day without being absorbed by your skin or having to reapply -controls oil for a few hours -blends well Cons: - I find when you apply with a powder brush the powder goes everywhere. It comes off the pan really easily so be careful when you swipe it with your brush. Just dabbing will pick up enough powder. -oxidizes a bit after you apply. I'm thinking about returning mine for a shade lighter

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2014 3:16:00 PM More reviews by countrybearjamboree

I've only worn this for a few days and I already have strong opinions on this foundation. I'm still on the fence if I should return it or not. I really hate returning makeup so I will probably just keep this. I do like it but this isn't the best powder foundation out there and I don't feel it deserves the hype that it gets. I have oily to very oily skin. I'm very reactive to certain ingredients and I do have some clogged pores.

Major Accomplishment Noted: I do appreciate that this foundation doesn't cause any irritation or breakouts.

I will compare this powder foundation to two other foundations that are in the same league: MAC Studio Fix + Foundation Powder and Kat Von D Lock It Powder Foundation.
For shade reference, I'm 207 in MUFE Duo Mat, 57 in Kat Von D Lock It Powder & NC40 in MAC Studio Fix + Powder.

~ MUFE Duo Mat provides the least amount of coverage compared to MAC & Kat Von D. With Duo Mat, I get light coverage. Kat Von D being the most coverage of these.
~ MUFE Duo Mat provides satisfactory oil control. Kat Von D providing the best and MAC providing the least (in fact, none) which is why I can't wear MAC SF+F in the warmer months.
~ MUFE Duo Mat doesn't cling onto dry flakes nor does it ever look cakey. If you are acne prone like me, you tend to use drying products that will cause dry patches. MUFE Duo Mat will provide a nice finish. Kat Von D will cling to every single dry flake! MAC will if you apply too much of it.
~ MUFE Duo Mat and with all of MUFE's foundations, it oxidizes like a bastard! I'm always orange by the end of the day with any type of MUFE foundation and this one is no exception. Kat Von D doesn't oxidize at all. MAC will if it is very hot outside. This is the #1 reason why I'm not in love with this foundation.
~ MUFE Duo Mat provides the least amount of staying power. Kat Von D provides the most. MAC will fade after 8 hours of wear in the summer. After 4-5 hours of wear with MUFE Duo Mat, I will begin to see fading patches.
~MUFE Duo Mat provides the least desirable finish when applying with the sponge that comes with it. MAC providing the best finish with its sponge. Also, MUFE Duo Mat provides the lesser in quality sponge, imo. I prefer MAC's sponge applicator the best of the three. For best results, I would suggest a kabuki brush for applying MUFE Duo Mat.

My final rating is a generous 4 but technically, a 3.6.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2014 2:41:00 PM More reviews by Leahdearr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Returning . Did nothing for my oily skin. I used it with a primer and with the MUFE Mat Velvet +. What does work for me however is... Cover girl 3 in 1 with Mac blot powder. So I'll be doing that and returning this right away.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/24/2014 12:44:00 AM More reviews by HelenB16

I was really excited to get this based on the reviews and based on my laziness. I hate having to blend away with liquid foundation and wanted to try a powder foundation that would cover my acne scars and control my oily skin. This powder looked really nice after applying with the sponge and after spritzing my setting spray but didn't control my oil for more than 2 hours. Maybe it would work better as a setting powder.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/12/2014 8:32:00 AM More reviews by reh92

I tried to use this as a setting powder and it felt too heavy and chalky on my face. I would not recommend it for the use to set a foundation. Maybe to set a bb cream... Also my skin is too dry to try this as a foundation by itself. Smashbox Halo powder was much better and more natural for my skin. If you want a REALLY matte and flat base then I would recommend this.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2014 8:10:00 PM More reviews by evill_fishy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great powder foundation - with a drawback. I have dry combination skin that's recovering from some mild hormonal breakouts, so needless to say I have a few marks that need covering up. What I like to do is to apply a pretty emollient moisturizer, then while it still hasn't sunk in conceal any really major discolourations with some Maybelline stick concealer and pat a thin layer of this on top followed by some Urban Decay All-Nighter. Once that's dry I'll go over any areas that look like they could use a little more coverage with this again. However, on days that I'm in a rush I'll just skip the concealer all together and this does manage to cover most acne marks even on its own. It's probably the least cakey powder foundation I've ever tried, though I wouldn't say it's undetectable. I've tried using it as a setting powder and I wouldn't recommend that as the coverage becomes way too much, for me anyways. The finish is pretty natural for a powder - despite its name, it looks more like a satin finish than a matte to me. This is also great for photography as it does not contain sunscreen and therefore does not flashback.

I hate the feeling of liquid foundations and find that most of them streak on me, never quite blend in with my concealed areas, or just turn into an oil-slick transfer mess by mid-day no matter how dry I am. If you're like me and can't live without some powder in your life, this will feel great to you. During dryer seasons this lasts on me without any touchups for at least 8-9 hours, more humid seasons may require a few t-zone touchups but not much.

Now we arrive at my one qualm with this foundation - the shade range. I have a pretty fair asian skintone, but by no means am I the palest around (around NC20). Initially I bought this in shade 203, which seemed like a reasonable area on the shade range for me to be in. Considering the number of people who thought I had gone on a tropical vacation, I was clearly wrong. So I took it back to Sephora and came home with the lightest shade in Sephora's range - 200. Initially this looked okay in the mirror, but I found that in certain lightings it still looked way too dark, and by mid-day it had definitely oxidized to a much darker shade. So while I love the formulation of this foundation, MUFE seriously needs to rethink the lighter half of the shade range, and sadly I will not re-purchase until then.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2014 12:58:00 AM More reviews by mmmarzan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Overall a great powder foundation. Doesn't look too good as a setting powder for some reason on me it oxidized really bad. But by itself it's great. Good coverage, I would say medium-full if you really pack it on. Only downside is the price, and because of that not sure if I would re-purchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2014 10:10:00 PM More reviews by quiksilvababe

Love this stuff! I even broke it and it shattered but repaired it! I was so happy, google how to restore broken powder it seriously worked.

great coverage, but after awhile I want more coverage and will be dipping into liquid foundation soon, eek! Love this stuff though

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 9:14:00 PM More reviews by rdeerr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I LOVE this powder. Definitely a HG, great color range, perfect coverage and consistently a repurchase for me. However, you do not get very much product for the cost, as previous reviewers have stated. I go through this powder entirely too fast since I use it everyday. I have to mix it now with Rimmel Stay Matte powder to make it last longer.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by piggytoes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

This is the best foundation I have used so far. It blends smoothly and easily and covers up any dark spots. I apply with a brush for lighter coverage and with the sponge when I need more. Stays on all day! I recently hit pan after using the product for over a year. The only thing I would change is the price - at $40, it's on the expensive end. However, I haven't found a powder foundation that's better yet.