October 25, 2014 | 1498 users online

Other - Omega 3 supplement

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2014 7:31:00 PM More reviews by tangyntart

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Take your omega-3's ladies!

Here's the simplified synopsis: Your darling little bodies have fatty acids in the cell wall of each of your cells. Omega 3's are just one type of fatty acid. (Another type you've probably heard a lot about are Omega 6's.)

Omega 3 and Omega 6 compete for similar jobs in your body. Omega 3's can usually get the upper hand... if you eat enough of them.

And why would you want to do that? Wellllll... guess what happens when you have too many Omega 6's running around in there?

INFLAMMATION. (ewwwww.....)

Yup. Upping your Omega 3's and reducing your Omega 6's can positively impact ANY condition that has ties to inflammation.

That means we're talking about: eczema, psoriasis, acne, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, Crohn's disease, asthma, hayfever, rheumatoid arthritis... the list goes on forever.

Are YOU getting enough Omega 3's? Probably not. Most Americans have 16 to 30 times MORE Omega 6's in their diets than Omega 3's. That's bad news.

The GOOD news is: you can fix it! You can INCREASE your Omega 3's through supplements and DECREASE your Omega 6's by refusing to eat anything cooked with a fat that is liquid at room temperature (ex: soybean oil, corn oil, olive oil, etc.).

Grapeseed oil, for example, has 696 times more Omega 6's than Omega 3's... so every time you put stuff like that in your mouth, you're creating excess inflammation throughout your body. Not a good idea.

Like all good things, you can overdo it - so DON'T take more than 3 grams (3000mg) of Omega 3's in a day.

If you're looking to balance yourself without supplements, you'd want to eat plenty of leafy greens, ground flax seed, fruits, beans, veggies, and the maximum allowable fish intake per week for your gender, age, and weight.

Remember it takes TIME for all the cell walls in your body to change out Omega 6's for Omega 3's. So be PATIENT. You should start seeing results within four weeks and will definitely see results 12 months after correcting your diet!

Happy eating!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2013 9:49:00 AM More reviews by blondbunny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

The great omega 3 it has benefited me since I was a baby I was given halibut liver oil squeezed in my bottle as an Infant it was a tiny little gelatin pearl it was High in omega 3 and vitamin a and e within two days my cold had miraculously cleared up as an adult still taking the halibut liver oil as well as hair skin and nails which is very high in omega 3 I found my skin is looking a lot healthier and my eyes are looking a lot clearer but apart from the good points it has boosting The appearance its amazing for your health I have noticed since I have upped my omega 3 in take my mood levels are beginning to stabilize and am feeling a lot less depressed and less anxious omega 3 is amazing and I couldint imagine My life without it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2013 10:20:00 AM More reviews by SuperSkin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I initially started taking omega 3 fish oil at the recommendation of my eye doctor to treat my dry eyes (!). I had also been struggling with adult acne for many years. About two weeks into taking fish oil my skin was so much clearer and breakouts stopped. My skin continues to remain acne free as long as i take omega 3 fish oil. I have been taking it for more than 5 years. I initially took it with flax oil & vit E, but now only take omega 3 fish oil. I take the liquid form made by nutri- supreme. This gets absorbed and digested better than capsules. When i first started taking it, i took capsules and i felt like i was burping up the flavor the rest of the day. With the liquid there is no after taste. I take about 1 1/2 tsps about 4x a week after supper. I drink juice after to mask the taste.

Also my hair got less dry and frizzy. The one who cuts my hair keeps commenting on how quickly my hair grows.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/9/2013 1:08:00 AM More reviews by babybefree

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

It feels weird to give only one lippie to Omega 3, which is definitely healthy and necessary for optimal health. However, this review is for the supplement/ fish oil, a common ingredient in omega 3 supplements. Like others have touched on, there's a dozen reasons to take these, for beauty and for health. I'd read that omega 3/fish oil was good for the dry skin/whitehead skin type, which is usually me, so I figured this would be helpful and picked up a quality brand fish oil supplement from an organic produce store, it was called Carlson Eco-smart omega 3.

This brand was a large clear liqui-gel pill, and gave me no strange side effects such as 'fish burps'. First day or two, I thought my skin did seem brighter/more glowy, so I figured I'd found the beauty pill as most ladies here experienced it, and kept up with them.

My skin- I usually have mild/mildy-moderate breakouts, mostly in whitehead form toward the sides of my chin. Once popped, they are usually gone in a day or two, with the pinkness behind gone in another few days after that. Only thing I'd found that significantly affected my skin was birth control, so I've always figured it was hormonal, though I've tried all kinds of ways to combat it from inside and out.

A few more days into these and a small pink pimple showed up on the side of my nose, which soon became a dreaded cyst. This is not your typical pimple- it's the deep under the skin type that's big, red, swollen, and hurts. They feel like 5 pimples in one spot, and there's not much you can do to either reduce its swelling or make it come to a head. All in all, it took about two weeks for it to go away before being replaced by another one in the 'monroe' piercing spot beneath my nose, and then another one in the middle of my chin. I think one had started forming to the side of my mouth, but I'd by then stopped taking these so it wasn't as bad as the others (and it still scarred).

It probably didn't longer than a week or two to figure out that this supplement was the only thing new I'd taken and stop them. A month or two later I'm still left with a bright pink scar from each of them that probably will have to fade in more months time or be taken care of with a professional type of facial. If I remember correctly, I also had a few of these on my back as well, the kind that hurt to even lay on the wrong way.

Omega 3 is necessary for your body but this supplement is not the only way to get it. Though most of the reviews here are glowing in its favor, *please* don't ignore the dispersed reviews of other women who also broke out in disfiguring cysts. I took pills from a great brand and still experienced this, so it's not a matter of quality. Please also research alternative methods of getting your omega 3, such as from quality tuna/ salmon/ flax seeds (highest percent daily value) / and walnuts.

Here's a helpful site all about omega 3: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84
It states that research indicates that omega 3 may be better absorbed from food than from supplements anyway. Ground flax seed can easily be added to cereal in the morning for a healthy and natural way to get your omega 3- I used to do this and didn't even notice them much, they are kind of nutty. Flax seeds are a phytoestrogen though, so they may not be best for everyone (including women like me with hormonal imbalances already). The past few days I've been eating walnuts (the second highest percent daily value) in homemade granola in kefir and it's delicious. My skin is looking good- whatever little bumps were there have reduced and my overall tone is bright.

I don't want to scare anyone away from omega 3 in general, I just want to warn everyone that this sort of bad reaction from a fish oil/ omega 3 supplement is a real risk, and that you can still get the omega 3 without necessarily having to take that risk yourself. I hope this helps someone!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2013 12:56:00 AM More reviews by mooshrimp

I started taking this a few months ago for a variety of reasons, including better brain function and all the other goodies that this wonderpill does. I used it consistently and noticed a lot of improvements in my mood and energy levels.

I have never had acne and don't really break out from things. My whole life I got a small zit or two before my period and that was it. I could sleep in my makeup, wear stuff that broke everyone out, and treat my skin like dirt and it would be fine. Then mysteriously a few months ago my skin went berserk. I woke up one morning with more than 10 huge zits all over my face. I had my first cysts ever on my chin and forehead. I changed up my entire skincare routine, I tried everything, I went to a dermatologist, I started tretinoin, I stopped wearing foundation, NOTHING worked. I was so depressed. After changing out every single product I used on my skin and continuing to get horrible scarring acne, I was about ready to give up. I even stopped eating dairy with no help.

Finally after months of awful breakouts and acne, I tried cutting the fish oil. I finally stopped getting breakouts within a few days of stopping, and finally several weeks later I am mostly healed on my face. I have pitted scars on my forehead and dark purple scars on my chin, as well as stringy white scar tissue around my nose. I don't have sensitivities to much of anything. No special dietary needs, "weird food things," so this was really weird for me. I have been reading around and apparently fish oil has caused a lot of people to break out. I would go into these with caution.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/4/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by yguo001

Glad I only took it for a short time. I made my face super oily during the day, and I am starting to have a lot clog pores and small bumps all over my face. I will never try it again....

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2013 3:34:00 PM More reviews by LAURLAUR75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wanted to share my experience taking an Omega 3 supplement every day for 3 weeks now. Ever since I turned 37 I noticed a change in my skin and hair. My skin became more sensitive, blotchy red, and dry. My longe, high and low lighted blonde hair became thinner, oily at the roots, and dry on the ends. Before i turned 37, i never even washed my face before going to bed, let alone moisturize or use a retinol product. The only makeup i used was the neutrogena healthy skin foundation over an olay face moisturizer to even out my skin tone in the morning. I washed my hair with a drugstore shampoo and conditioner every morning that had sulfates and silicones in it. I never used a hair mask. My hair was pretty normal, as well as my skin (never exfoliated). This past year I have been coming on this sight to find the best skin products to use on my aging skin. I have now implemented a pretty good skincare regimen. I also rotate between 3 sulfate free shampoo and conditioners in the shower. I had an Omega 3 supplement in my linen closet i bought last year that i never successfully stuck to taking every day so in the closet it went. I read an article one day about how good Omega 3s were good for your skin and hair so I took it out one week before christmas and started taking 1 capsule 3x daily. I got my hair done on christmas eve and bought a new shampoo and conditioner called Amazon Oils my stylist wanted me to try (my salon has their own line of products). After Christmas i began to see that my hair was really really soft...almost too soft if that makes sense. I have thinning hair so i want my individual hair strands to be as plump as possible for volume. No matter what volumizing product i tried before blow drying my hair(including the free one i got from my stylist), my hair was still too soft. I though "Wow this new shampoo and conditioner i bought from the salon must be making my hair this soft," so i told my mom about it because she goes to the same salon. A week later I noticed my skin was less blotchy red and less dry...almost perfect to the point where i didnt need my full coverage foundation. Thats when i realized that it must be the Omega 3 supplement im taking that is making my hair and skin so soft! I would have never expected this effect on my skin and hair from taking it. Since starting the supplement, my hair is soooo soft. My face is just as soft and it isn't dry, red, blotchy anymore. I can even skip moisturizer if I wanted to....the same with my skin on my body! Super soft! I wanted to share this with everyone because maybe you are having the same problems with your skin and hair as you start to age. Omega 3s might help! I take the Natural Factors brand from iherb.com and cut back to taking 2 a day cuz taking 3 a day left my hair too soft. I don't get fish burps. I havent noticed my hair growing in faster and fuller yet or less hair fall...just really soft. i'm hoping if i continue with my omega 3s, i will notice fuller hair. i will keep you updated on that. They have regulated the oil production for my face and scalp though which is a plus. I dont have oily roots anymore and i dont have to wash my hair every day. i also only have to use a light tinted moisturizer with sunscreen on my face, no more full coverage creme foundation to hide redness and even out skin tone or a heavy moisturizer cause the omega 3s took care of all that for me! Try it and see if it works for you...you have nothing to lose if it doesn't.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2012 2:33:00 AM More reviews by leyan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

There are numerous of health benefits from fish oil, and cardiac health being the primary. There has been so many rumors going on over the internet yet facts are often unwritten and mostly only hypothesis and animal studies.

I'm sure you guys and gals who are obsessed with superficial beauty already understand the benefits of fish oil for the inside health, but what about the outside?

Here I'll give you some links for reference about omega-3 and skin health:

In summary, EPA+DHA mainly protects the skin from inside out, mainly from UV damage.
There's an article regarding EFA and lipid peroxidation(or, destruction of lipid by free radical), theoretically, leads to aging, but it should be noted that it's referring to the EFA itself, the destruction of long chain fatty acids like omega 3 because of its own instability, making it the primary source for being a martyr in free radical assault, thus protecting other structures from being targetted by free radicals(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm no expert nor I am a researcher, therefore prefer to refer to the researches that have been done by experts(and well documented) instead of relying on my own experience.(Although I, myself take 2000mg of EPA+DHA every day)

If you're too lazy to read, and I understand that most people are, here is the guideline for taking omega 3:
-For cardiac health 650mg of EPA+DHA
-For weight loss, 660mg EPA+600mg DHA
-**For significant internal UV protection, 1800mg EPA+ 1200mg DHA

**it should be noted that in the guideline, upper limit for omega 3 is 3000mg EPA+DHA, more than that can cause adverse effect on blood clotting or increases the chance of hemorragic stroke, although only theoretical, I suggest not taking more than 3000mg EPA+DHA.

**high omega 3 dose is usually used in many research, this is mainly to see a distinct and visible value to the parameter used, and not to be used as the guidline per se(for example, for UV protection, 3000mg of total EPA+DHA is used to prove it, basically you can get UV protection from a lower dose.)

There is a myth regarding PCB and mercury in supplements but the case is rare and just a media hysteria, I've read Doctor Chopra's book regarding supplements and nutrition(you can google him), and he said that fish oil supps are unlikely to be contaminated and much safer than eating bigger fishes(which are higher in the food chain, accumulating more mercury).

There's also "pharmaceutical grade fish oil"(and uh, by the way, not regulated by FDA anyway, they're allowed to say whatever they want and put it on a higher price), or EE(ethy ester) or TG(triglycerides) form, both forms work well and absorbed well, and the term pharmaceutical is just a nonsense to me. Although I must say, if I could buy it, I would(okay, so deep down, outside the facts I've read,I happen to believe that the pricier the better), but for those who are on the low budget, no need to worry, the "normal"(EE form) and "non-pharmaceutical" fish oil is fine.

It seems that EPA and DHA makes not so much difference in the ratio, rather, the sum of them, and they work synergically. Aim for the total of EPA+DHA 500-1000mg a day for general health.

As for the acne, there has been a non-conclusive(although with a proof) research suggesting that higher omega-3 intakes are beneficial in reducing acne severity(numbers of acnes) and the lessions(you know, the redness...) None of the participants showed an increase of acne severity after 2 months of ingesting omega-3 rich capsules.
The information regarding the amount of omega-3(EPA+DHA) used is not known, it was only said, "...taking 4 capsules of a day." Nonetheless the research is pretty astounding and a great news for acne sufferers.

The omega-3 content in the body will reach its plateau or near-maximum saturation in 3 weeks, so if you're taking fish oils and get more acnes in 1-2days or 1-2 weeks(..or in hours) when taking it, it's unreasonable to blame fish oil. It should be noted that omega 3 fish oil is not a miracle product for eradicating the existence of acnes entirely and relying it entirely is again, unreasonable, other products should be used in conjunction to reduce acnes significantly(like Benzoyl Peroxide or BHA). If everything else fails, consult to a dermatologist.

I'm not promoting any brands and try not to measure it through my own experience(although I do have it), just so I don't sound so biased and rather tell you the well-documented and researched facts. Have fun with fish oil, and don't forget to put your sunscreen on everyday for the sake of beauty!

17 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2011 3:50:00 AM More reviews by maquin22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

There are so many health benefits, there is no reason why anyone should not give Omega 3 Fish Oil a try. Too many benefits for me to post all of them in this review. It's a relatively easy and inexpensive way to improve your health

I take the Vitacost brand Mega EFA Mini Gel Omega-3 EPA & DHA Fish Oil. I have a hard time swallowing large pills and most fish oils capsules are huge. 1 serving is supposed to be 4 capsules, but I take 6 daily. Besides being small, this brand has a high DHA ratio compared to other brands. High DHA is important to me since it seems to have the most benefits.

This supplement is def cumulative and it took about 2-3 months for me to start to feel physical improvement. Surprisingly when I went away last Oct and didn't take them for a week, I could have sworn I felt a decline. This could be mental, but I felt it in my joints upon my return.

The only con for me is that I have to keep them in the freezer and take them with food to avoid fish burps.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2011 11:52:00 AM More reviews by princezjaz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I think it is funny how people expect a supplement to work within a week. Let's get serious, in order for you to see or feel results you have to take the supplement daily and follow the dosage for a few months. I take Natures bounty fish oil 1000mg omega-3. The directions say to take 1 soft gel 3 times daily, preferably with a meal. Fish oil is awesome! It has helped me grow out my hair. My hair is healthier, stronger and LONG. I also take B-12 for hair growth. Everyone should take fish oil whether its for beauty or health purposes.