February 1, 2015 | 1095 users online

Fragrances - Philosophy - Amazing Grace Eau De Parfum

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2015 4:03:00 PM More reviews by Hexena

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this fragrance. I use the body wash and perfume. It is light, but its very feminine and clean. This is something I like to wear when I don't want a "perfumey" scent on that day. My husband always tells me that's his favorite scent on me.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/11/2015 7:15:00 PM More reviews by megxoxo91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm reviewing the 2 fl. oz "spray fragrance" that came with a 3-piece value set from Sephora, What a disappointment. I love the Amazing Grace scent, I think it's the perfect clean and feminine scent, but this spray has to be 99% water no exaggeration. It lasts only a few minutes on my skin, and maybe a few hours (if even that) on my clothes. The shower gel is similar, very light and the fragrance disappears immediately, and it is a very drying, sulfate-drenched formula. It came with a jar of whipped body cream that is a bit stronger, definitely the stand out. I can smell that on my skin more than the perfume, but again not for long. This is my first go with a fragrance from philosophy and I'm really surprised to find two incredibly watery, weakly scented items. Very deceptive set, because they are all a good size and seem like a great deal. Too good to be true, with little to no fragrance power it was not worth the money. Just a warning to maybe beware of bargains from philosophy, I think they are screwing people over.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2014 3:12:00 PM More reviews by newslang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I received a sample size of Amazing Grace perfume and body lotion a few weeks ago. I love trying new fragrance, so the next day I didn't hesitate to slather the lotion on and put a few dabs of perfume on my wrists and collarbones.

Upon first sniff, Amazing Grace smells a little bit like soapy sunscreen (not tropical, but whatever the chemical is in sunscreen that gives it an spf).

As it continued to dry, I started to pick up on the floral. The chemical soap scent began to give way to a funereal white floral. Something about this fragrance (name included) reminds me of calling hours at an expensive funeral home. Like the perfume of grieving old widows mixed with floral arrangements and the unmistakable touch of embalming fluid.

Every time I smelled my wrist for an update, a wash of melancholy came over me.

After about 5 hours of wear, the only scent I could detect was a pitiful powdery floral musk.

This perfume made me miss my grandpa and made my boss inquire as to what smelled like old ladies and bug spray.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2014 8:53:00 PM More reviews by lipglossjunkee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

4 words:
Headache inducing soapy monstrosity.

There was something about this that was heavy, soapy, and just enough of a hint of sweet that I felt nauseous at first spritz. I valiantly gave this not one, not two, but THREE tries before realizing that whatever scent it was people were raving about when they tried this, it was NOT that same scent on my skin.

I am mostly unable to wear ANY Philosophy perfumes, they use something that quite literally just sickens me.

(crosspost)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2014 6:06:00 PM More reviews by amswtr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Amazing Grace is probably the most iconic of all the Philosophy fragrances. Chances are, you have smelled this one someone. I've been wearing Philosophy for almost 10 years but I always stayed away from Amazing Grace due to the fact that it is a light scent. There was never anything special about it to me. Then I started wearing Philosophy perfumes a lot more when I became a nurse. I liked how subtle they were. Falling in Love is my favorite Philosophy perfume and I always get complimented when I wear it. I tried Pure Grace and it smelled like pure soap, very clean. I decided to give Amazing Grace a try and I'm glad I did. It has a light floral scent with a clean undertone. It just smells comforting. Sometimes I want to just smell nice. This is a great work fragrance. It works well with my body chemistry. I like to layer it with the body wash and lotion. It will last all day if I do that.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2013 6:50:00 PM More reviews by LadyOttawa

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is definitely a daytime perfume. Has a nice clean laundry fragrance reminiscent of Tide. Just a small amount behind my ears lasts through the entire work day without reapplication and is not overpowering. As a result, the bottle lasts for quite a while.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/19/2013 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Pambryant

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I ALMOST love this fragrance, but there is an off-putting smell of soap or laundry detergent that I don't like.

It makes me feel like I'm at the laundromat, or that I need to go rinse off because I accidentally left liquid soap on my hands after I washed them.

I think it's the bergamot that does it, because I've read bergamot gives a "soapy barbershop" smell.

If it wasn't for that smell, I'd really like this. This bergamot/soap smell is the reason I don't like the Clean fragrance I tried...maybe Clean Ultimate or another Clean fragrance.

from fragrantica: Top notes are mandarin orange, grapefruit and bergamot; middle notes are freesia, jasmine and rose; base note is musk.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2013 9:37:00 AM More reviews by sillage

I sniffed what turned out to be Amazing Grace on a cashier at Tractor Supply several months ago. She was a slim, fashionable, 50's woman with short silver-white hair -- who seemed like she'd be married to an executive and live in an elegant home with a manicured lawn rather than checking out seed & fertilizer at Tractor Supply.

While she was checking out my cat's Front Line Plus, I caught a whiff of her scent -- and it seemed like a very elegant, "high", expensive white floral. I pictured this scent on a red carpet, on Grace Kelly or Mary Tyler Moore -- it seemed refined -- almost icy-clean -- almost metallic -- aloof (as this lady herself was) -- for the rich & reserved -- for a black-tie party. I wondered if it might be a special platinum edition of Romance by Ralph Lauren? -- or Bond No. 9 Union Square? -- or maybe even a Creed?

I caught very subtle whiffs, complimented and asked the name of her perfume, and was surprised when she told me it was Amazing Grace -- which is far less expensive than what I was imagining. It smelled like liquid diamonds on her -- or liquid silver! The way she told me what it was and elaborated (available on QVC, she said), I got the impression it may be her signature.

Her whiffs were subtle -- I only caught them when she moved -- so I suspect she was wearing the original "spray" (cologne/EDT) version. After reading online reviews and complaints about the fleetingness of the original cologne/EDT version, I ordered myself a bottle of the EDP.

I'm wearing the EDP now on this hot 93-degree day, and it's quite strong -- very strong, in fact. Whew. I'm almost wondering if I shouldn't have just bought the cologne/EDT version and sprayed more frequently. To me, this EDP is very strong & lasting, almost too much so for my tastes, especially in hot weather. I sprayed very discreetly, yet it's still quite strong & tenacious. I'm thinking if I ever reorder this, I will probably just go for the cologne/EDT next time.

The scent reminds me of Romance with the addition of a cool, clean-water quality -- also Gendarme, except that Gendarme is more skin-musky. Also a bit on the order of Adidas Moves, which smells like clean, cool water.

Amazing Grace EDP is a clean, cool, sheer, watery, fresh-airy white floral, with a special crystalline, almost icy quality. Strong. It counteracts muggy heat, since it has an air-conditioning-like coolness. It smells expensive, high-class, and aloof -- like a silvery mountain waterfall, like the cool wind slapping your face during a boat ride, like schussing down a ski slope.

The queen of clean scents. Perfume doesn't get much fresher & cleaner than this EDP formulation. The strength & lasting-power are such that for me, it does veer, after several hours, dangerously close to becoming detergenty -- and headachey -- so the original milder strength (which that woman in Tractor Supply I'm guessing might have been wearing) could possibly be preferable for many, including me, than this EDP. But basically, Amazing Grace in any formulation has a very nice freshly-showered clean scent.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 9:50:00 AM More reviews by Sissy5890

I have a friend who swears this is male attraction in a bottle.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2013 1:35:00 AM More reviews by musicMAKEUPmelodrama

I was so disappointed in this perfume. I bought a 4 oz bottle online banking on the idea that the Amazing Grace perfume would smell identical to the body wash. I really love the body wash but the perfume is way too pungent. It smells pretty good initially but the dry down smells horrible. I don't know if it's just my chemistry. I thought it would be really soapy, light and, elegant smelling but it just reeks like cheap old lady perfume. It also gives me a bad headache.