October 25, 2014 | 1664 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme in 535 Medium Golden Mahogany Brown

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2014 2:55:00 AM More reviews by Callque

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Hmmm.. It is hard to describe this color because it has so many facets to it.

On one hand, it is a reddish medium brown, but on the other, (as my SO likes to tell me) it is a warm "oak" color.

As others have said, it is incredibly natural looking. Definitely not the usual flat shades you'll receive from a box. The formula is good, I like that it didn't drip, was easy to rinse out and left my hair shiny afterwards (although not as shiny as Colorsilk does) but it is a bit dry and frizzy now. It also stung my eyes some. It fades beautifully and becomes a warmer medium brown by the day.

Ultimately, it is not that flattering on my pale, olive skin tone (deep, darker browns look more natural on me) but I cannot deny that this is truly a beautiful, unique, warm oak brown color. Very pretty.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2013 11:41:00 AM More reviews by rainbeau

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

As most of the other reviewers have said, this really is a lovely shade of reddish brown. It made my hair look vibrant, shiny, and "alive".

The one and only downside is that the smell is a bit harsh and made my eyes water when applying it. Also, if you have sensitive skin, it may cause some discomfort to your scalp. I was beginning to worry that I'd be losing handfuls of hair when rinsing it out, but I was pleasantly surprised when I lost no more than normal.

I would definitely buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2013 4:53:00 PM More reviews by GalileosDaughter

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a perfect medium-brown auburn. The coloring process leaves my hair so shiny and soft afterwards. This color does lighten my dark brown hair and plays up the red highlights. I've also tried 525 and 525 comes out much more dark with extremely subtle red highlights that you can only see in the sun. 535 is more visibly bronze. I'm so impressed with this haircolor, I will definitely buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2013 9:37:00 PM More reviews by Gemmieuk

I absolutely adore this color!

My hair was a very dark brown with a lot of red to it, and after spending over $150 I had a whole head of highlights out in to lighten it up. I really liked my highlights, but after 5 weeks my hair was already in need of recoloring and I wasn't prepared to spend that much money on the upkeep of my hair.

I decided to go back to Garnier Nutrisse hair color because it was my favorite go-to hair color. I wanted to choose a color lighter than my usual choice, so I tried the Chocolate Caramel shade. O.M.G. This color is perfection! It is the prettiest brown I have ever used, and my highlights do still show through really nicely. It's not too dark, it's not orangey at all, and my hair is so soft. My highlights had really dried out my hair, and those pieces are really soft again.

I am so happy I chose this color!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2013 4:38:00 PM More reviews by feetjustgo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was HATING this dye as I applied it. I was in a hurry and I resented having to open and mix in the extra "fruit oil concentrate" or whatever. So gimmicky, couldn't they have added it to one of the other components and spared the planet the extra packaging? The formula dripped everywhere and the smell/vapors were so noxious that I had to leave the bathroom several times to get fresh air. I've been dying my hair for years (including bleaching my hair twice) and have tried lots of different products and I've never encountered something that made my eyes sting like this. But in the end, it was totally worth it. I LOVE the color. On my light red base with medium ash brown roots, dye left on for 35 minutes, I ended up with a gorgeous dark auburn that looks good in all types of light. My hair seems to be in about the same condition, but does look healthier. The color is more red than I would have expected looking at the box and definitely more beautiful. This may be weird, but the color strikes me as classier than a lot of other auburns because it looks like it could be natural. I think I've found my HG hair color (for now, anyway!).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2013 12:14:00 PM More reviews by BerlinerPooh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Brown with a twist! Have used Garnier Nutrisse for years and have tried most of the colours and highlights kits with great results. I bought this colour in Germany last summer as 5.35 Golden Auburn Brown (now impossible to find for some reason) and I used it last week. My hair was a dark blonde with highlights and because it is winter and my skin is pale, I decided to try this one for a change. The result is a wonderful natural rich brown with auburn highlights. My hair is much thicker with lots of shine and this colour really suits my pale (yellow undertone) complexion with brown eyes. I live in Mexico City now and have been looking for the local or USA equivalent. Picked up Caramelo 57 Light Golden Mahogany Brown (made in Mexico) which has the same pic on the front and colour chart on the side. I hope it gives me similar results next time I colour ... fingers and toes crossed!

I don't like the smell of the hair colour but it fades quickly and the condition leaves my hair nice and soft.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 6:08:00 PM More reviews by binkies06

This is my FAVORITE hair color EVERRR! I have naturally dark blonde hair (level 7N) and have used this color for years. My hair naturally has red and gold in it so it especially pulls red from lifting or dyes that I put on it. When I first put this on, It is more of a brown-auburn, similar to that on the box. But after a few weeks when it begins to fade it's much more of a red w/brown in it... which is what I really love. But outside in the sun, it's pretty much all red. The only problem I have is that it' so hard to find! It's always out of stock!

If your hair is anything lighter than a brown, I'm not sure this is for you unless your goal is to have it be a little more of a "natural" dark red shade. If you want it to look and stay like the box, only use it if your hair is that dark to begin with to just enhance the shade.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2012 10:55:00 AM More reviews by d3pthofdarkn3ss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product for around $7 US in the 6RR (Light Intense Auburn). I needed 2 boxes to cover my thick, bra -strap length hair. I had not colored my hair in over 2 months so I applied the color following the new step process. The ingredients were easy to assemble and although the foam came out a little watery, it was easier to apply than the normal creme haircolor.

I had used the Garnier line of haircolor before, specifically the Nutrisse Haircolor. The smell of the foam is similar to other hair colors. I found that once I applied the color, I did not need to let it sit longer than the instructions, which say 30 mins, and the color turned out very nice. Lots of varied hues and my hair actually felt softer.

The conditioner that comes in the kit is enough for 2+ uses, even on my long hair. I was pleasantly surprised with how well the color deposited, especially for a red, and a week later I have had 0 fading. I give this product 5 lippies because it was very easy and quick to apply myself and looked beautiful. I don't think I will ever go back to creme color as I love the ease of foam application. The main reason, normally I would have to section my hair and it would get tangled, but not with the foam. I was able to apply it into my hand, massage it into the hair, and move the sections much easier, as the foam did not weigh the hair down.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by prettyinbeantown76

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this hair color!!!! I'm asian and have black heavy hair. I did not want to change the color dramatically where I would not have to touch up the roots very often but still notice the hair color and give it an auburn tinge. This does the trick! I leave it on much longer (50 mins) than the box says as my hair is just so dark and every single time the result is fantastic!
Even my hairdresser at an exclusive salon told me to keep using it as it looks so good. Only tiny thing is i have started getting a few split ends but my hair is really long (goes below the middle of my back) so its bound to happen with any hair color.
love love love love love!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2012 11:12:00 PM More reviews by flybaby

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was walking down the supermarket aisle and spotted this box. The color on model IS my hair color!

I'd become increasingly more washed out and faded looking trying to color it at home myself the last couple of years. Before my "do it yourself" efforts, I'd gone to a Goldwell salon, and always been happy with the results. So, in October of this year, I started having my hair professionally colored again. (Goldwell) I do not know the formula, but the girl on the box of this hair color was my outcome. My natural color is same level (except for the 40% gray lol) slightly less red, but it turns that shade as hair grows out due to sun, and who knows why else. It just does.

After a few salon visits, I was discouraged at how much it was costing me to maintain my hair, as it grows fast. I'd been looking for a root touch up, planning on trying to stretch out time between salon appointments.

So, when I saw this at the store, I bought a couple of boxes. I'd remembered that Garnier received good reviews on MUA.

AFTER it was on, I sat down, went onto MUA and caught the reviews for this shade, and panicked. I'd only applied it to the 1/4—1/2 inch of regrowth. I didn't want dark roots! So, I didn't leave it on for the full time, only about 18 -20 minutes, and it was all good, perfect match. However, the color faded fast.

This past week I used the remaining half box, along with the full box, doing all of my hair, expecting it would be darker, and deciding I was okay with that. I covered roots completely, and saturated most of under layers of hair, and then for the top layers I tried to leave some strands untouched (as highlights) ... the result??? My hair was the same color as it always is! It matches the example on the box.

I know its typical for home hair dyes to be darker than depicted, I don't know why it doesn't turn out darker for me, but I wanted to write this review, to emphasize that if its important to you to know exactly how its going to take on your hair, then its a good idea to do a strand test.

The result is still shiny hair, but I didn't use the conditioner that comes with it, I used Oribe Signature Moisture Mask, and left it on for about 40-45 minutes.

Is it as shiny as when I have it done at the salon? No—but I am satisfied. And, to be able to do it every three weeks at home for under $10 when I can't get away with under $100 at the salon, makes this an acceptable compromise.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No