August 1, 2014 | 1741 users online

Mascara - Kanebo - kate mascara base

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 5:53:00 AM More reviews by llissie07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Great product! Adds volume and length really well and it makes my lashes stay curled even without eyelash curler. The fibre stays as well and doesn't stick out in weird directions like some other products I used previously. Come off easily too. Overall great product but if I find a mascara that can do all this on its own I won't buy this again, more convenient that way.

Edit: ok. I have found my HG mascara - the japanese Heroine mascara. It really doesn't need this. Still awesome product though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2013 5:26:00 PM More reviews by prettygeeky

This product is amazing. My asian lashes are stumpy, stick straight, and generally sad. This primer holds an amazing curl (all day), and lengthens and volumizes them with the fiber deposits. I cannot recommend this product enough. I will continue to use this product as long as they make it!

Update: The formula has changed slightly, and they added a curved brush. It still works like a dream!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2013 9:55:00 PM More reviews by stt02004

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this mascara base! I have thin, sparse Asian lashes and this mascara base holds my curl even when I use NON-waterproof mascara. This works better than the $25 Shiseido mascara base I used to buy. I get this for around ~300 NTD / $10 USD in Taiwan, which is only a tad higher than other drugstore mascaras in the US. The packaging is nice and sleek too.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2013 4:44:00 AM More reviews by jshuipetitefille

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The SA from a beauty shop recommended this when I was looking for mascaras with a base/primer to use, and she was right - it's an amazing product! The first time I tried it I was already convinced that this is the best primer for me. I can use it with any mascara, and it holds the curl perfectly well - even if I'm out of the house for more than 12 hours. Definitely worth the money.
UPDATE: I stopped using this for a while because I had eyelash extensions for 2 months. When my eyelash extensions fell off, I went back to finding my mascara HG. I felt very frustrated after my extensions because my lashes seemed to have grown thinner and shorter - a lot of them fell off and it didn't help that I was picking them out. I have used dozens of mascaras - NYX, L'Oreal, Benefit, Lancome, and others out there but nothing gave me the satisfaction of long and beautiful eyelashes. Frustrated, I turned to this once more, and I forgot how beautiful it made my eyelashes appear! Since the one I owned was running out, I quickly rushed to the nearest drugstore to buy this. They changed the packaging but the quality didn't change - one swipe all over my eyelashes gets it working. I use whatever mascara after that, and OMG, I have to be honest and I really want to stress this out - that my eyelashes look gorgeous as hell. I will never turn to any other mascara base ever again.
I am moving to another country next month (I am currently in Asia); does anybody know if I can buy this in France? If not, I will definitely panic!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/13/2013 10:05:00 PM More reviews by Claire0bw

I was really looking forward to trying this after seeing the reviews however it really disappointed me.
It's really clumpy and thick and builds up too quickly before the fibers even adhere to my lash lengths. I also end up with little globs of the formula on the end of my lashes but no fibers! These globs are difficult to cover with mascara.
The only way I figured out to use it was by applying it just using the tip of the wand on the very ends of my lashes to avoid getting it on the lower lengths of my lashes, however this was time consuming and often ended up clumping anyway.
End result is messy and clumpy with little white bits poking out. Much prefer shiseido lash expander as it's two in one and works beautifully with no clumping.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2013 7:13:00 PM More reviews by Gromitfox

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

HG! I finally found the best mascara base in my life. I read the reviews on MUA and decided to try it while I was in Japan for business. I bought it in a drugstore in Tokyo with 20% off MSRP.

The fiber in this mascara base is the finest and shortest I've ever found in any bases(mostly American brands) which I've tried in the past. The color somewhat turns from white to black after it gets dry. You can build your eye lash to your desirable the length and thickness by repeat swiping it over and over. It make a drastic change for short and skimpy Asian eye lash.

I see reviews that it didn't make much differences on some people. They must have some lashes to begin with. If you have short and skimpy lashes, this base is for you. Asian brand know the best. I went back to the drugstore next day and bought two more for stock.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2012 11:18:00 PM More reviews by bailuli

I have tried a variety of lash primers, and so far only the Japanese ones have worked on my stick straight Asian lashes. My attempts with Lancome's failed miserably, with my lashes completely straightening after I apply the base. I expect my base to HOLD my curls created with my curler, not weigh it back down! by the time I put on my mascara over the Lancome, it's straight again.

Aside from the KATE one, I have also tried Canmake and Majolica. I think I'd rate KATE's between Majolica and Canmake, with Majolica's Last Bone (I used the white fiber version). KATE's is very similar to Lash Bone, both held my curl well but I think Lash Bone might've been a little better at the curl holding. However, KATE's mascara base was better at fanning out my lashes. Canmake's is nice too, but I find that aside from curl holding, it didn't do very much lengthening or volumizing.

In any case, I really like the KATE mascara base and plan on buying a few backups. Since it's cheaper than Majolica's version, I'm very willing to stick with it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2012 7:13:00 PM More reviews by mcalcia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was so bad, but so bad, that I tossed it after about 2 weeks. It made absolutely no difference on my lashes (no added lenght, volume, curl hold, nothing really) and in fact made my mascaras look worse thant they did on their own. It was also very hard to remove, even with an oil-based cleanser.
On my quest for a decent mascara base, so far the best one I've found is Lancome, although it's by no means amazing. I'm still looking...

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by celia76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I HAVE USED JUST ABOUT EVERY EYELASH PRIMER OUT THERE. FROM DIOR TO ESTE LAUDER, CLINIQUE, SHISEIDO TO MANY OTHERS. I HAVE TO SAY THAT OUT OF THE MANY THAT I HAVE TRIED I LOVE THIS ONE. I HAVE STRAIGHT THIN EYELASHES AND I HAVE TRIED TO STEP AWAY FROM USING WATERPROOF MASCARAS BECAUSE OF HOW DAMAGING THEY ARE TO YOUR LASHES AND HARD TO GET OFF, THIS IS AWESOME!!!!! IT HOLDS A CURL LIKE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE AND ITS EASY TO COME OFF. IT MAKES MY LASHES LOOK LIKE FAKE LASHES. I LOVE IT. HAVE TO SAY THAT THIS IS MY HG OF MASCARA PRIMERS. FOR ANY OF YOU WHO HAVE STRAIGHT EYELASHES THAT CANT HOLD A CURL AND HAVE SHORT THIN LASHES, TRY THIS MASCARA BASE. I PROMISE YOU THAT YOU WILL ALSO LOVE IT.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2012 11:10:00 AM More reviews by Critterkeeper

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For those of you haveing a hard time removing this product or any eyemake-up forget the over the counter stuff - put some olive oil on a cotton pad. This will get it off with no problem.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No