July 23, 2014 | 1826 users online

Eye Shadow - L'Oreal - HiP Bright Duo - Flamboyant #538

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 7/14/2012 1:38:00 PM More reviews by BazookaBaby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have a thing for gold eyeshadows. I own about seven of them and this one was the first I ever got. I really do wish that I could purchase the gold/yellow out of this on its own. I personally think it's very nice - lots of pigment, very soft, goes on easy, and has decent staying power on its own, though since I started using eye primer under my shadows it does a whole lot better. It's less of a true gold than a golden yellow, and does have quite a bit of shimmer to it. It's really lovely.

The purple on the other hand is kind of a let down. It's beautiful in the pan but even if I rub it with my finger it doesn't really have a lot of color payoff and it has a hard time sticking, even with primer. If I were to purchase this again it would be for the yellow color alone, but I don't know that I want to spend close to $10 for something that I'm only going to throw half of it away.

The last thing to address is the packaging. The HiP duos packaging is really bulky because of the bottom compartment used to house a brush that comes with each set. I use my own brushes and tend to just throw the little brush/tool/things that come with the products I purchase away, and I tend to depot my pans to keep them all in one place and save on storage space in my bathroom. That said, I still think they're unnecessarily clunky and large.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2012 12:41:00 AM More reviews by ex0ticbarbie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

The colors in this duo look so vibrant. I bought this duo primarily for the purple. I love wearing purple eyeshadows since they bring out the color of my eyes and look awesome with my skintone. This purple however was ridiculous. It was so sheer and gross. I'm pretty sure dollar store makeup would've been better quality. The gold was more vibrant, but not the best. What I really hate about the HiP eyeshadows are that they crease like crazy. I wear an eyeshadow primer and they still crease and just melt away. I would never repurchase anymore HiP eyeshadows. They are such a waste of money.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2012 4:02:00 PM More reviews by jordansmommy310

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This was one of the first eyeshadows that I ever purchased lol. I like it actually I like it alot! I dont have any problems with this product at all. Both colors are pigmented and blends well. I wore this last date night with my bf and received compliments. Looked especially great with my falsies!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/14/2012 8:08:00 PM More reviews by spiritedastray

I put that I would re-purchase this, but it is only for the gold shadow. I really love the gold and use it in several different bright color combinations. It looks very lovely with the orange from the HiP Flare duo. It's vibrant, easy to blend, and highly pigmented. Unfortunately, the purple on the other side of this duo is practically useless. There is barely any pigment so you have to pack it on if you want any color, and even then, the color is flat and not very pretty. In addition, the packaging on the L'Oreal HiP eyeshadow duos is atrocious - It's way too big because they put those terrible little brushes in a compartment below the shadow. I wish I could purchase the gold from this duo separately!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2012 3:47:00 AM More reviews by PiMehMeh

I obtained this and another Bright Eyeshadow Duo in Brazen at the same time and was intrigued to have compared the two. The textures not just between duos but among all four colors I was able to swatch were very different! I found that Flamboyant applied a little more easily than Brazen, and the color pay-off was far superior to that of Brazen.

However, I noticed that the purple color, like both the colors in Brazen, was a little stiff compared to its complement gold color, and took some work to get onto an applicator. It took even more effort to actually apply it, since it is very poor at building up in intensity or spreading in evenness. The pigment concentration seems very patchy. It did help to apply this wet.

On the other hand, the gold color was actually rather splendid and is the only reason I am keeping this for now. It is a rather rare bright gold (at least for drugstore brand), and it comes off the pan with ease. It also applies evenly and is buildable. It is what I imagined HiP eyeshadows would be like, but unfortunately it is the only one that has pleased, whereas all the other colors I have tried so far were nothing short of disappointment. Sister brand Maybelline's eyeshadows (especially their Eye Studio Color Plush quads) are more intense than these.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2011 12:54:00 AM More reviews by anastacy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Why do so many drugstore brands fail at making good quality matte shadows? The Purple in this duo = Fail. Its chalky with little to no colour payoff. The gold is pretty but too yellow and kind of loud for my taste. It is very silky and pigmented though. Not the best duo this line has to offer. I'd say pass on this one.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/13/2011 3:33:00 AM More reviews by midorisour03

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ugh, the major con in this product is that I bought three different ones! LOL. The gold color of this duo is okay but the purple is just sad - almost zero pigmentation whatsoever, even with a primer and base. To top it off, it looks so cakey on the eye and fades almost immediately. I say, shelve out the extra money to buy quality eyeshadows or better yet, buy NYX. For the same price, you get a much better product.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/19/2010 3:12:00 PM More reviews by toastedlembas

Like pretty much everyone else who has reviewed it, I like the gold and hate the purple. I bought it a while ago for my senior prom because my dress was yellow and I was using purple accents, so yellow and purple on my eyes seemed like a great idea! And actually, my makeup on the day turned out pretty well, mostly because the gold color really is quite nice and easy to work with. The purple, on the other hand, is like chalk. I don't know how I managed to make myself look nice with it for prom; probably because I only used a tiny bit in the crease. I still like the gold for a fun color; it goes really nicely with my warm fair skin. Using a finger for application right over the lid gives a pretty sparkle. There's definitely a better gold out there, though, I just haven't bothered to look.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/15/2010 10:51:00 PM More reviews by garagesale

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The yellow half is vibrant and pigmented and the purple half is the complete opposite. I can't even describe how awful it is. It's a pain to just get the product on a brush, much less on your eyes. It shows up thin and chalky.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2010 11:47:00 PM More reviews by glowww333

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Like all l'oreal HIp e/s the color combinations are weird, but they work. they focus a lot on colors that are opposites on the color wheel or compliment each other in some way which you haven't thought of before. so when I say this combo, judging by how much I crave for that perfect purple, I bought it and was mega excited about coming home and trying it.
One shade is a lemony-gold shimmery and very pigmented. The other is a matte purple which is awfully not pigmented. I love the color but i cannot get any payoff out of it on my NC30 skin. I noticed that with some drugstore brands you get different results with the same product in different pans, but that much different? dunno. To swatch it on my figure I has to rub it 10 times! something just ain't right with that purple, I am telling ya, although it may have just been with mine. I use the gold to pair it with NARS Strada and the result is W*O*W so the gold is a winner for me. The purple color gets a 1/5 and therefore, an average rating of 3 lippies.