October 1, 2014 | 1961 users online

Loose Powders - La Mer - Skincolor De La Mer - The Powder - Poudre de La Mer

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2014 4:34:00 PM More reviews by RomanXI

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is from the information sheet
"Years ago, aerospace physicist Dr. Max Huber created a miracle now Max Huber Labs bring a world of expertise to Skincolorde la Mer. This luxurious finishing powder is so incredibly light it appears to float. Developed with symmetrically shaped, uniquely coated particles, it magnetically attracts to the skin for a perfect fit. Air spun seaborne particles - some of the lightest materials on earth - create an imperceptible finish that leaves skin looking flawless. Translucent coverage.
This powder is the most expensive make up piece I own!
Huge tub, gloriously made, the puff is like velour/silk it's gorgeous, feels heavenly on the face. The powder I got was 1 creme, I am pale, and this powder may even be a tad too light for me(nc 15/20) but it is so sheer it sort of mixes into your foundation and takes on that colour.
I sprinkled some powder into the lid, and felt it with my fingers and WOW i have never felt anything like that in my life, I don't want to even say powder because it's like fairy tale magic dust of a thousand galaxies thats just melting into your skin so flawlessly it is ABSOLUTELY undetectable, it's soo silky and yet silky does seem like a soft enough term it is just pure magic.
At first I applied this over matte foundation that didn't need setting and it was just horrendous, chalky and flat looking, do not apply this over matte foundation it is way too dry.
Then I washed and moisturised, primed and put on a dewy/satin finish foundation that infact did needed set and this is where the magic happens, it is soo fine it's smaller than dust it is like smoke, you absolutely cannot see this on the skin, so it will never get trapped in peach fuzz or fine hairs or settle in wrinkles, it soaks into the foundation and blends with it to become one that uniforms your face and gives you a candlelight glow from within. It doesn't matte your face completely but it leaves a gorgeous blurred luminosity that radiates outwards. It is just incredible.
This powder is on the extreme end of perfection, if used right.
Have well moisturised, primed skin with a nice moisturising dewy/satin foundation and set it and you have that old Hollywood starlet glow, I cannot describe how gorgeous this is!!!!
I will repurchase for life.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2014 3:44:00 PM More reviews by Perfection91

I've tried MUFE, Nars, Bare minerals, and Asian brands in the past prior to this one. but it looks like I'm going to be stuck with this for at least 2 years.
he packaging is ginormous and bulky. Its not travel friendly at all.

mine is 05 Translucent and is translucent when its on the skin.
powders are very very fine, but so if MUFE and nars.
I use La Mer's powder brush, but because the brush is so fluffy and this powder so fine, its a mess

I use the smallest amount for the entire face, but my combination skin does look dry and rough .. not smooth.

overall,

I like that its big enough to use for a very long time. powders are very fine and translucent

but I dislike the price point, not being able to smooth out the skin like some of the other good powders, and is not soft velvety finish. I still have some stickiness left over from foundations.

I personally like MUFE HD powders better, but I heard great things about Chanel powders.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2014 9:46:00 PM More reviews by NoirAngelx

This is basically fairy dust in a luxurious glass tub. I love trying loose powders because I find that good ones truly do soften the look of foundation by adding a silken veil across the face, smoothing out the pores and overall prolonging the wear of the makeup. This is a beautiful loose powder that does all of that, and best of all, doesn't cake up or look the least bit powdery on the skin. I love it so much that I've transferred some of it into a small sample jar to take with me to work to touch up throughout the day. The oil control is not really there, however. It is meant to be a more natural, glowy powder that softens the appearance of fine lines and pores. Upon close inspection, you will find tiny microparticles of shimmer that are only visible in warm, artifical lighting (think department store). They are undetectable once on the face, with the exception of the 'Translucent' shade which has a bit of pinkish shimmer that is more visible on the face (some may think of it as "glowy", others, "disco ball". If in doubt go for the more skin-colored options like 'Creme' or 'Neutral'). I chose 01 Creme which is a light beige color that is suitable for a MAC NC/W15-25. Its a beautiful loose powder and I highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 1:27:00 PM More reviews by inmyopinion

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Got a sample size of 02 (Neutral). This is fine with my Sephora Pantone 2Y07 winter color. This is a very nice light powder, both in texture and color. The lightish color is closer to what other brands would call Translucent. The main advantage is that this powder is life-like (due to almost invisible, subtle shimmer particles- not visible to the naked eye, but if you look carefully in a magnifying glass you can see them). It is very good in that it covers in a natural veil, and your skin does not look dead and flat (unlike some powders I could name).
For the summer the La Mer loose powder in the 03 color (beige I believe) is excellent for my summer Sephora Pantone 4Y07 skin tone.
In the spring and fall I mix them together (I am probably Sephora Pantone 3Y07 during those seasons).
You might like to know that this loose powder provides a reasonable blot/veil for 4 hours or so, but I wouldn't call it oil-absorbing for all day. It is perfect for going out in the evening or for a half-day professional event in the daytime. I find it very compatible with the La Mer foundations (both the fluid and the crème - check out my reviews of both). It does not settle into creases, and is anti-aging in that respect.
It would be especially good if you need to look immaculate for a special event, like a wedding, interview or TV appearance. Other anti-aging tricks you might like for a special event are: pearl or diamond/pave earrings to reflect the light onto your face, a light-colored silk (very lustrous) scarf or collar, a natural looking demi-lipstick half way between a gloss and a lipstick, just a shade livelier than your own lip color- MLOB. See my other reviews for products I think fit this bill. Also Google pictures of Christine Lagarde (IMF president) for what I am thinking of - professional and very feminine at the same time.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2014 2:23:00 AM More reviews by JaydenReece

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This powder is amazing however the translucent shade is too shimmery for my liking.. Will purchase shade 3 in future which i believe is yellow toned with no shimmer! If this had no shimmer it would easily be a Holy Grail powder!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2014 12:53:00 AM More reviews by chelseajean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Okay, so I bought this powder on a whim- I was highly sceptical about purchasing a AU$145 powder, but I will honestly say- I am in LOVE.

When I first bought this, I got all excited and quickly applied the product in the car over make up that had been on all day and I thought WHAT THE HELL HAVE I DONE? It was awful, cakey, powder and glittery.

However
The next morning, I applied fresh foundation and applied this over the top and was amazed! It is no way near the silkiest powder on the market, but the beauty light reflecting particles leave an amazing natural finish to the skin that does not look over the top and looks amazing in photos. A normal day, I have worn this powder for over 12+ hours and have not noticed it breaking down or looking cakey.

I will say, if you have EXTREMLY OILY SKIN and do require a powder that can be topped up during the day, take a clear step away from this powder and save your money.

If you have the money to spend, and normal to slightly combo skin, go ahead!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2014 5:57:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

I use this in the Creme or Translucent shades. They also offer Beige and Neutral, not many options and they don't seem yellow enough for me either (NC20) The coverage is very sheer - less than light. I use this only for setting.

This is talc-based but is finely-milled and soft. I wouldn't say it makes anyone look airbrushed or anything and still looks like make- up but it's not bad either. This can make skin look slightly shiny, which may or may not be a bad thing depending on your preference and skin type. When I use this over foundation, my t-zone would get oilier than with other products so if you have oily skin or oily areas, like others have mentioned you will probably need a different powder to help absorb the oils. I did not like how "dusty" it was, sometimes it would fly all over my vanity from just being opened, and I would find the powder all over the place, specks on the mirror, etc.

Honestly - I don't see any difference between this powder and find my Dior powder superior and more natural. There are many great, skin-like and silky powders available from Dior, YSL, some MAC powders, etc and I wouldn't repurchase. It didn't "wow" me. Another issue is when being photographed (and I wore this alone, over a non-spf moisturiser), it can give the Michael Jackson pasty look - where your face looks super white/white cast and neck looks darker. I'd post the picture taken of me wearing this but I don't want to scare people. In "real life" it's fine though.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2013 7:37:00 PM More reviews by Kbee62

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

First review ever! I didn't want to love this powder because it's so expensive. I love it! Best powder I've ever used. I don't have to constantly reapply which I do with other powders. I didn't want to love it because I've been trying to talk myself out of buying their moisturizer for years but loving the powder this much is breaking my resolve down...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2013 4:59:00 PM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I cough when I apply it. It leaves me with a shine that is not so nice. I am using the "transparent". I have tried to apply it so many times, but every time it irritates my throat and worse than that, my eyes. I have used many others, my favorite being Chanel, and have even done a side by side. I find with the Chanel, I can control it much better, it does not irritate me, and my skin looks soft and lovely. This just doesn't do it for me, so back it goes, especially since it is really irritating. Also, beware not to inhale - it has talc which is not good for you.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2013 10:45:00 PM More reviews by sabzter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Best powder I've ever used, period. Amazingly light and ethereal. You can't even see it on your face after you apply it. I use this as more of a finishing powder because it's so light. First, I purchased the Creme and loved it--sometimes I'd wear it alone without any foundation at all and it would take away all the redness and even out my complexion. After I ran out of the Creme, I purchased the Translucent and absolutely love the angelic glow that it gives. This is the most finely milled powder I have ever used. No irritation or acne or itching. It provides almost no coverage, but that's not important to me since I use this solely as a finishing powder. Staying power is phenomenal considering the lightness of this powder---I never need to blot during the day. Be sure not to throw on too much at once b/c due to the powder's fine texture, it's very easy to inhale it. My favorite powder.