April 19, 2014 | 1689 users online

Primer/ Corrector - BeneFit Cosmetics - Dr Feelgood

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2014 8:02:00 PM More reviews by Barbara18

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I received this as a gift from my daughter, who knew I would love the retro styled packaging.

At first I didn't know what it was for, and what to do with it, so I had a look through everyone else's reviews. Dr Feelgood seems to be a bit of a Marmite makeup product. Lots of people dislike it, with varying degrees of intensity, then there are those who love it. Once I worked out that it was probably best to blot some of the balm on to the sponge then pat on to my made-up face, I've been using on an everyday basis. I can now confirm I'm in the "love it" camp.

I use it over my make up in the morning, and it takes the powdery look away. It also seems to blur out imperfections, and I prefer this over the specialist blur cream (which I found was a bit drying). If I remember to pop it into my handbag, it is useful for blotting out any shine which develops over the day.

I don't see any particular hygiene problem - my hands are clean when I apply, and the sponge can be washed regularly.

Out of interest, I've tried it with no makeup on, and it definitely evens out blotchiness, and improves the appearance of my bare skin. This is, however, academic, as I never go out without a foundation/BB cream/tinted moisturiser of some sort. If I were ever to be forced to do without makeup, Dr Feelgood would be an absolute necessity.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2014 1:39:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought Dr. Feelgood about 15 years ago. It was one of my first purchases from a high end makeup line after I got a "real" job so that alone makes it memorable to me. It's also so terrible, bordering on useless, that it's still memorable to me all these years later. I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but bad beauty product memories stay for life.

All these years later, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what this product is actually suppose to do. It's a clearish, non-greasy balm that comes in an irritating tin that is impossible to open and has sharp edges around the lid. It comes with a circular sponge that immediately attracts and holds on to every piece of fuzz, dirt or substance that it may come into contact with. You can actually feel the bacteria and other cooties on the sponge. The balm itself is supposedly some kind of miracle product that "finishes" you skin. Blurs lines, diminishes large pores and all that jive. All I remember this doing is feeling gross on my face, leaving a fine film on it and breaking me out. In retrospect, this is probably not a product for people with dry skin. It may work wonders on people who have very oily skin and need to blot throughout the day but this did nothing for me except make me look worse.

Even though I bought this many moons ago, I hung on to it for quite a long time. I tried making it work on and off for years but never could get the hang of it and never got used to the icky, filmy feeling. In a way, this product was prophetic of all the Benefit products I tried - they seem great in theory but like Lemon-Aid, BeneTint, BeneTint Balm, BadGal, and You Rebel, they just don't translate in reality. In fact, every time I see a new Benefit product that I think I might like, a memory of Dr. Feelgood comes flying back and I move on.

That said, this obviously works for some people out there as it's still a part of Benefit's line and I've read glowing reviews on Sephora but this was a bad choice for me.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by ThatLadyNextDoor

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a terrible product that needs to be discontinued from BeneFit. It has no purpose, but to make our skin look and feel terrible, plus the container is poorly made. It's gimmicky! I don't trust makeup or skincare products that are put in pots or jars because they lose their freshness very quickly and it's unsanitary. I have used this product in the past when I first started getting serious with makeup (2000) I had no idea what a primer was. I saw this in a magazine and I had to have it! Boy, was I wrong! When I used it a few times, I woke up with these ugly, cyst-like pimples. I thought this was supposed to control my oiliness and leave my foundation looking flawless, but it did nothing but give me the most unnatural look I've even seen! My foundation was so cakey and ugly. I will NEVER, EVER buy this product again!! Please be aware of this product. It serves no purpose. Just look at the reviews! The only product I recommend is their Porefessional primer. It's a good product, but there's other primers that are better. So, please don't purchase this blindly like I did. The reason why I bought this was the cute picture. I was young and naive...LOL

rated 2 of 5 on 1/30/2014 2:43:00 PM More reviews by flappergirl35

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was attracted to the beautiful vintage pot. That is the only real good thing I have to say about this product.

The lid is difficult to get off, the sponge is too large, and the product pills terribly. It is very waxy in consistency, and when I try to scoop some out, I either get too much or too little product.

As a result, it sits on my vanity and looks pretty. I will not be repurchasing.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/21/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by annacats

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Although this product smells good and leaves your skin feeling smooth and silky, I see no difference in the way my skin looks. In fact, once I put it on, 10-15 minutes later I notice that my t zone is back to being oily. Would not reccomend this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/10/2013 10:03:00 PM More reviews by HollyWould123

What a piece of garbage product. Firstly, I absolutely LOVE most Benefit products, particularly their highlighters (Girl Meets Pearl, High Beam, Sun Beam, etc.) and mascaras. I purchased this product randomly during one of my many holiday Sephora cravings. I decided to purchase the smaller one ($9) after seeing mixed reviews. (I do appreciate Benefit's option to purchase travel sized versions of their products so as to have the opportunity to test the product before buying a full sized version!)

The little pot/tin it comes in is quite small and unsanitary. There is a little sponge that comes with it that gets mucked up pretty quickly and then the product gets yucky from using the sponge/fingers after just a few uses. The smell didn't bother me, but is lemon-y (kind of like furniture polish) for those of you who are sensitive to fragrance. The product pills pretty easily and then is difficult to distribute. None of this would have mattered to me had the product actually been of use. It did absolutely nothing as a finish/mattifier. Then I decided to give it a few tries as a primer, and it continued to be useless to me. I had more luck with my Covergirl + Olay Serum Primer and/or POREfessional by Benefit.

Definitely a waste and a total nothing product. Much better options out there from both other brands and Benefit themselves.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by aceboook

this made my face even more oily. i dont like the sponge either. its hard to get out. dont like the smell. it smells like a car freshener to me. didnt not feel good at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2013 8:23:00 PM More reviews by Hermanspottypants

I really love this product for touch ups to mattify my shine over makeup or with naked skin during the day. I've used this for 3 years and consider it excellent. I've used a lot of mattifying products over the years. I like the citrusy fresh smell. I'll be re-buying till my skin shine sods off.

Things I don't like:
I dislike Benefit's highly inflated prices in Ireland and I have contacted them about the extortionate mark up.
I don't like the tin system or the sponge sitting on top of the product.
It starts getting difficult to use up towards the end- it breaks up and plays hard to get.
You need to clean your sponge regularly or it looks revoltingly manky- hot water and Bobbi Brown brush cleaner work well.... or fairy dish wash liquid. take your pick.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by StephKatz1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this product from my local mall.

I was looking for something that would help me control my t-zone oil... She put some of Dr. feelgood, it did mattified my t-zone with a nice pleasent lemon scent. So I got it. I realized later that this product dries out my skin like crazy.

I returned this quickly after buying

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2013 9:56:00 PM More reviews by Vanessamucho

Why make a product that is nearly impossible to open. I was tempted to hammer the side so that it would not suction shut. My BF opens it for me, which is real helpful at work when he is not here! Product didn't do anything!