July 25, 2014 | 2004 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2014 6:40:00 PM More reviews by ngocngaoi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I've been applying my homemade Vitamin C toner along with Cerave Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM for about 3-4 weeks now. After reading a bunch of benefits deriving from vitaminc C and niacinamide, I decided to give it a try. This time around, I've managed to use my old vitamin C pump bottle and put the mixed solution in there instead of of some random lid and spread it on my face daily, which btw is a bitch to do. I use about 1/4 tsp of ascorbic power and 1 tsp of plain old tap water, sometimes a bit more or less. This mades a roughly 20% vitamin C solution. People say to use distilled water but I keep forgetting about getting it from the store. I've put in an empty toilet paper roll to give it extra light protection and put it in the fridge since it's summer now and the heat can ruin the solution quicker. I find making this much amount of vitamin C toner is perfect because it typically lasts me about 4-5 days and vitamin C loses its efficacy quickly anyway. Also, when I apply the vitamin C with it being well-mixed, the doesn't leave my skin feeling dry and grainy like before.

I don't know if it's vitamin C itself, the Cerave lotion, or both but ever since I've been applying vitamin C serum in the morning along with applying Cerave lotion at night, I've been noticing my skin getting smoother and freckles less noticeable. My face's been feeling slightly fuller as well. Even the redness around my nose is getting a lot less noticable. My skin's been looking brighter and reflecting light better, and not because it's oily. And my skin doesn't break out from this, which is definitely a plus.

I haven't worn makeup in a while and my boyfriend told me I look great waking up in the morning. And I do notice my skin looking better without makeup as well. And just last week, some guy hit on me, even though I wasn't wearing any makeup and had horrible messy hair. I imagine the new skin routine has something to do with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 9:05:00 PM More reviews by bootyfulskin

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

lightened my skin, got rid of my breakouts from. I have a nice glow, only use it at night.
I replaced glycerin with grapeseed oil. Use this link get me credits and get yourself $4 on 450g of vitamin c powder. Note that all forms of ascorbic acid are the same, just because there's no L does it diminish it's vitamin c powder.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2014 11:33:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

PROS: Lightens skin, helps with pores and even wrinkles a bit. SO inexpensive.

CONS: My VERY sensitive skin sometimes needs me to switch back to the NuFountain Vitamin C + Ferulic Acid serum, which is more gentle and still 20%. Even when I use the 10% homemade one, the NuFountain 20% is more gentle in comparison.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2014 11:09:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

I started making this because every commercial Vit C product that I tried was so expensive and too moisturizing. I just mix a generous pinch of the L-ascorbic acid (bought thru Amazon.com) with 99% pure aloe vera gel (Vitamin World brand purchased thru Puritans Pride) in my cupped hand until it dissolves and use a dollar store makeup brush to apply. I use mild soap to wash my hands and the brush afterwards b/c it can stain. This is cheap, natural, fresh and very effective for my face! It tightens my pores, dries up zits, lightens dark marks, heals any popped zits (I know, don't judge me) and tames my oiliness. It's strong, so I only use it 2 or 3 times a week before bed. It really Increases my photosensitivity, so daily sunscreen is a must.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/16/2014 10:15:00 AM More reviews by iman84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Dear Ladies, thank you for reviewing so many items here on MakeupAlley..you cant imagine the experience I had just going over what you all had tried bc I only recently begin a skincare regimen amd I wanted to buy good stuff, but it was really confusing. I don't want to try every product out there ..I was going to get caught in the hype of many ads. but reading your reviews made me think for a while.Luckily, I found out about PAULA's Choice reviews and I was STUNNED..most of the advertised creams are pure RUBBISH..I even related reviews of products in her site with reviews of the same products here in Makeup Alley..God they results are so similar like if a product is rated average in PC then 50% of people here would recommend and if it is poor in PC then maybe less than 30% would buy the product again( beautipedia reviews--> brand reiews)
I know some of you do know about PC reviews but for other ladies ..I highly recommend u read ALL REVIEWS
I decided to try and make my own Vit.C serum before I read your reviews I was going to buy Skin Cuetical AOX vit.C but I thought I would try this first..ONE thing : Ladies who are making their VIT.C serum NEVER EVER use vodka or any alcoholic beverage for your skincare recipes, NO FRAGNANCE OILS: rosewater, lavender IT IS EXTREMELY HARMFULL AND IRRITATING FOR YOUR SKIN( read Paula's Choice reviews on alcohol and fragnance in skincare products)

I would try to use vitamin c capsules with rosehip and tell you about it next time...

rated 1 of 5 on 6/15/2014 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Sobria

My skin: Very oily, ice pick scars, large pores, hyperpigmentation here and there

I tried homemade vitamin c serum for about 3 months. It was super good initially. No breakouts and my skin was even toned. After a month or so, I noticed breakouts. I didn't change my skincare regimen except for this addition. I still stuck it out and thought it's probably just my hormones.

Unfortunately, this was the culprit. I started on a low concentration, 5% and made my way to 7.5%. Both concentrations didn't work for me. My face became red and prone to breakouts. I also have whiteheads that popped up from nowhere.

Please be careful for anyone who tries this. It didn't work for me. Sad day :( At least I learned my lesson. Anyone want a jar of vitamin c powder, let me know!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2014 12:40:00 PM More reviews by CompassionIsSexy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used to spend so much money on skin care products that didn't even work or made my skin break out. I've tried everything from drugstore brands (olay, neutrogena, etc.) to high end brands (Estee Lauder, Clinique, etc.), but didn't get the results I wanted. A lot of the companies source their ingredients from china (because it's cheap) and use fancy packaging to sell their products. I felt like I was being ripped off. I finally, after tons of research, decided to make my own serums and moisturizes. I've been using l ascorbic acid mixed with filtered water on my face morning and night under my moisturizer for a while and noticed dramatic improvement in my skin. My skin looks brighter, tighter, and more youthful. It's cheaper and it's more effective. I recommend making a fresh batch of serum/toner everyday because Vitamin C oxidizes easily.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2014 11:11:00 PM More reviews by asaksa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

My vitamin c powder was bought at at Whole Foods. I mix 1 pinch of the powder to 4 parts Glycerine with rose water. I mash the powder in the liquid right in my hand and then pat my whole face and neck in the morning. Then I start my sunscreen and makeup. This is so cheap and highly potent. Sometimes I put a few drops of jojoba oil for my acne prone combo skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2014 10:15:00 AM More reviews by ShalaStar

I LOVE my new DIY Vitamin C Serum! I purchased the vitamin c powder at Whole Foods along with some Glycerine and an amber glass bottle. I made a 10% serum and I keep it in the light safe glass bottle. I prefer not to add the glycerine, I made two batches to see which texture I liked better and the glycerine just felt too sticky. The powder and distilled water feel like nothing on the skin once dry. Benefits! My skin is plumping up, it feels tighter and more bouncy and My acne spots have lightened tremendously. As far as wrinkles, I'm not sure yet. I've one little forehead wrinkle I'm working on now, will update on improvement! This stuff is the bees knees to keeping that plump skin plump. And it's very affordable! I'm thrilled! Good luck!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/2/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by sahbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have fair skin, strawberry blonde hair ... & have spent almost all my life in blistering sun. Thanks to my mother's genes, my skin tone is good (hardly any wrinkles around my eyes) but there is no escaping the sun damage on my face - - I have melasma spots, raised blood vessels, blotchiness and generally a ruddy complexion. I was also prone to blushing as a kid and its possible I suffer with mild roscae on my cheeks.

"Conventional" therapy for such extensive sun damage is IPL laser treatment ... tad expensive and, er ... I'm not keen on lasering my face thanks - especially as any positive gains are only temporary.
I investigated other avenues and stumbled across Vit C serums. I find the cosmetics industry is ridiculously over-priced, so I was thrilled to find homemade receipes.

I started with a water/Vit E base mixed with 1tsp Vit C powder ... not so lovely on the skin because the Vit E is such a grainy oil ... so I changed to a water/glycerin base instead. Ooooh ... so much better! My skin responded almost immediately, but then I noticed a tightness and stickiness and I also seemed to be developing minute blackheads.
I limited my usage to every other night, but couldn't stand the tight appearance of my skin, so I stopped the glycerin and just mixed Vit C with water as and when I needed it.

Unfortunately, due to haphazaard work hours, I stopped using the Vit C serum within about 3 weeks. Even in this short time, friends commented on my "fresher" face - altho I have to admit I couldn't see big changes.

From reading I've done, it seems a minimum of about 6 weeks is required to guage any real effects. I've decided to resume use and give it a six month trial, gradually increasing the serum concentration to about 15% - depending on how my skin responds. I'll try to update regularily - especially any effects on my extensive sun damage!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No