NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella

4.3

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

I have been going through this phase of finding the perfect true red matte lip product and I bought this out of impulse through the Nordstrom website. It is a true red, like many other reviewers have mentioned here. The formula is OK, very soft and matte, as it fades it leaves a nice stain on the lips too, but it sets and builds up in every little line and crack on the lips. It deposits in between the outer line of the lips as well.
Normally I don't have a problem with expensive things if they are worth it. But Nars, seriously, twenty six dollars??? Here's the thing , I would say it is completely worth it because of the brand and formula, but it is a WOODEN pencil, which means it has to be constantly sharpened and there is a ton of product wasted; and also, the cap on the pencil is very clunky and doesn't snap on the top tightly.
So far. Not impressed.

on 3/16/2015 10:26:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

So pretty, I love it. Got this as a Sephora gift, it's my first Nars. I like how this feels & looks on my lips. I may even purchase a FS in the future.

on 3/14/2015 10:10:00 PM

Beautiful color pay off. And matte to boot!

on 3/5/2015 1:35:00 AM

Like many others, I have gotten this as a birthday gift from Sephora. The only thing I like about this product is the shade.

Pros:
It's a rather beautiful shade of red - pretty dark and vampy. It is a true red, not too blue or too orange. It also gives a pretty uniform color - not patchy, no areas that are "skipped". It is very matte.

Cons:
It applies more like a lip pencil. It is very dry and goes on only where you put it. It is not like other matte lip products, where you can put them on and "spread" them around your lips. It takes a few "coats" to build up an even uniform layer. It isn't too drying, but it definitely feels better with a balm under or over it.
The quality does not justify the price.
This one does not twist up, and needs to be sharpened.

Overall, this one is not a unique, must have product. You can find this shade in other matte lip products that are both easier to apply and much less expensive.

on 3/4/2015 2:54:00 PM

I usually only use lip stains, since I have super dry lips (so I can put balms over them). I received this as a free birthday gift from Sephora and really like it! It's a perfect, dramatic red. I have pale skin, and often reds just look too much on me, but this is perfect- not too orange, not too blue (I have a cool skin tone).

It stays put when put on lips by itself, but when I put a regular lip balm on top for extra moisture, it came off all over (as many lip pencils do). If you don't have that obsession of putting extra balms or glosses on top of lip pencils, you won't have a problem.

I would not have bought such a dark/bright color, so I'm glad I got it as a freebie, since I really do like it!

on 2/17/2015 3:17:00 PM

My only con to this is I hate sharpening stuff. But for a matte lippy it truly IS velvet. Not drying. But I can wear like the MAC retro mattes so I wasn't expecting this to be a problem. From like 7pm to 8am or whenever I'm sans makeup, my lips are coated in pure lanolin. So during day I can deal w it. This makes my teeth look so white! Good addition to my red collection. Sephora VIB rouge bd gift. I have pale cool skin. It's so easy to define my Cupid's bow with this ... I guess that makes up for the annoying sharpening. Would repurchase.

on 2/17/2015 5:02:00 AM

I received this along with another NARS Satin Lip Pencil as a birthday gift from Sephora. I hesitated since I don't normally use lip crayons--I usually stick to the traditional lipstick or lip balm, and have not had great luck with any matte lip formulas since my lips are naturally dry to begin with, causing matte formulas to crack and flake off, or build up into a mess of flakes. Not flattering.

For once though, this matte lip pencil did not cause my lips to flake! The matte finish feels luxurious and I like that this isn't a chunky lip pencil, which I find harder to apply color with precisely except with a lip brush. The NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil formula also does not drag on my lip like the typical dry matte lip formulas do. I like to smack my lips to spread the color though, and true to matte formulas, this one does dry fast and my lip does feel like it drags over itself when I smack my lips and eventually it my lips feel unbearably taught after 3 or 4 hours, when I feel the need to wipe it off and reapply. Wearing a lip balm prior to this helps a lot with conditioning the skin and improving the longevity of the color.

I saw that the full size pencil is $26 though so I'm glad I got this as a free gift! The formula goes on luxuriously and the deep matte red feels all kinds of vampy, but matte pencils just don't wear comfortably for me so I wouldn't shovel out $26 to treat my lips to hours of drying. I'll still continue to wear this for short outings and wipe it off as soon as I'm home, but I wouldn't hear it for a full day.

on 2/16/2015 5:44:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Got this for the birthday gift from Sephora. It's so creamy and easy to apply. I love the difference between this and a standard lipstick. The shade is quite dark & dramatic with my pale skin but I just won't use it as daily use! The only negative thing I would say is that it tends to rub off pretty easy if you are kissing or sipping a glass of wine.

on 2/10/2015 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

A darkish, very glam red lip with a 40s movie-star vibe. I have very pale olive skin, and the berry-red tones are very flattering. Also, it lasts super, super long, without drying out your lips like an "official" longwear formula. The pencil also lasts forever, making it a very good buy.

on 2/9/2015 10:13:00 AM

Confession: I am a helpless addict to red lip products. I own about a dozen or so beauties that are varying shades and hues of red.

So, naturally, when I saw that this was a part of Sephora's birthday freebie, I knew that we would fall in love.

I'm Asian so my skin's undertone is neutral to yellow so I can pretty much get away with wearing just about any kind of red provided that it matches the rest of my makeup and outfit. This little star, however, is on a league of its own.

I love a good matte red. But at the same time, my lips are prone to drying out and cracking in the corners especially during winter (Canadian eh?). I've had many an experience where a matte lipstick would drag and bunch up around the fine lines on my lips and make me look like a face-dived into fresh meat rather and spent five minutes perfecting my red pout.

This lip pencil is a brilliant exception. Like the name suggest, it's velvety, it's still hella matte, and it stays forever. I've eaten, drunk coffee/water, even dabbed at it with a makeup remover wipe, and it endure them all. I should probably point out that this could leave a subtle stain so be caeful upon application.

You can bet your arse that I'll repurchase the moment I run out of this! (Even though it's $31 in Canada)

Video Reviews & Tutorials