Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.4

CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

on 4/20/2015 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I have just started using this and I have to say that this product feels amazing! I recommend anyone to purchase as it is affordable and feels phenomenal after I rinse it off. I usually take it off during a hot shower, and then put a moisturizer (I use coconut oil as my moisturizer) as my skin feels quite dry afterwards. I usually keep it on my face (I mix it with ACV) for 15 minutes to up to even an hour for 2-3 times a week.

10 minutes into it and I feel a tightening, tingling sensation just like the package emphasized. I think this would be a great product for acne prone skin or even if your skin is neutral, because you definitely feel your pores getting unclogged and all the gunk getting removed. My skin has been breaking out for the past 1 or 2 months (eeekkkkk) and I've been using this, along with my natural routine of african black soap and coconut oil OR honey with ACV and coconut oil (in that order) for the past few weeks and I have to say I'm in looove! I do have a few scars and I can say that either my other skincare methods, this product - or both, have lightened them and are now on their way to be completely unrecognizable. I feel ultra positive about this product and I would most likely buy this again as it lasts for a loong time.

on 4/16/2015 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

TIPS:
-using apple cider vinegar instead of water made a HUGE difference for me.
-leaving this on for a full hour also makes it much more effective for me.
-this is not a pre-date-night mask. my skin is REDDD after, but always 100% back to normal by morning.

i have acne and have done/tried it all, from pro-activ all the way to Accutane. my pores are literally always clogged. every day.

this is my HG face mask. doesn't make me break out and is the ONLY thing that's ever made me feel like my pores are somewhat less clogged after use.

i'm using retin-a so my skin is somewhat dry, but i still use this 2x a week. i slather my face in cetaphil after and everything is fine.

AND THE PRICE! this is proof god exists and might have had acne at one point.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I just used this for the first time yesterday, so I really probably should wait a bit before writing a review, but I'm pretty impressed so I'll write one now and edit later.

After an unsuccessful journey to Whole Foods to pick up this mask, I ordered it on Amazon for $10. It arrived Sunday and I picked up some ACV (not Bragg's, my local grocery is not fancy enough for that).

I mixed together a bit over 1 tablespoon of the clay powder and ACV. That turned out to be A LOT of mask. Never one to waste a perfectly good skincare treatment, I just kept applying until it was at least 1/4" thick. I ran into the kitchen, excitedly telling my roommates "I'm going to get ALL THE CRAP OUT OF MY FACE." "That's nice, Sandcat," they answered. "We're going to bed."

No one is excited about my skincare routine as I am.

I'm also never one to leave masks on for the recommended amount of time. If a mask says it's meant to be used for 10-15 minutes, I figure I can get through at LEAST two episodes of Arrested Development before I have to take it off. This one recommended 5-10 minutes for "delicate skin" so I left it on for about an hour, until it was totally dry.

WHY I USED THIS MASK:
My skin has not taken kindly to the changing season, and I feel like I've had a breakout that's juuuuust about to happen for weeks now. I was hoping to bring these breakouts to the surface. I also have a singular, terrible acne cyst on my jawline that JUST WON'T GO AWAY, and I've heard this masks shortens their life cycle (ew).

WHAT I EXPECTED:
Honestly, not much. I love a good face mask, but to me it's more about the ritual and self-pampering, and I rarely notice any actual effects. My bar was very low for this. I expected to "FEEL [my] FACE PULSATE" as is so aggressively advertised on the packaging, and I expected to experience some sensitivity/redness, as I have dry, sensitive, and usually grumpy skin.

WHAT I EXPERIENCED:
When I finally got this baby off (which was a PROJECT), my skin felt very smooth. I took it off in the shower and as soon as I got out, I used my new and delightfully squishy konjac sponge with a gentle cleanser (La Roche-Posay Dermo-Cleanser) to make sure all the clay was off and to exfoliate away the aforementioned crap I'd been hoping to suck out of my pores. To my actual surprise, the gross little crop of millia that had been hanging out on my cheekbone were mostly gone, leaving only faint red marks in their wake. Now, to be fair, there are a million problems with my skin and those millia were pretty far down on the list of things I wanted to fix. If I could keep the millia in exchange for getting this awful, perCYSTant (heeeyyyyy) cyst off my face forever, that's the kind of deal I would absolutely make. Still, it was awesome to see an actual effect immediately after using this. I put on my normal moisturizer (Laneige Water Bank Serum, which I know is technically a "serum" but what is a serum, anyway; this is totally just a moisturizer) and it stung a bit. Before going to bed I used a thin layer of Aquaphor in an attempt to seal in the moisture, because it turns out leaving clay on your face for an hour is super drying. Hm.

WHAT I DIDN'T EXPERIENCE:
No pulsing! No tingling! No extreme redness! No intense sensitivity! And no breakouts, yet, though I have hope. My gross little acne cyst does feel a bit different today, so hopefully it's on its way out for the time being.

SOME UNSOLICITED ADVICE:
* You'll probably need more clay than ACV. I started with a 1:1 ratio and it was a watery mess.
* You probably don't need a full tablespoon + of each, either. I probably could have gotten the same effect with less mask.
* TAKE THIS OFF IN THE SHOWER. Seriously. I tried to start taking it off at my sink and it was a mistake. Learn from my mistake. Get in the shower, soak a washcloth in hot water, leave it on your face until you can't breathe anymore, repeat.
* Make sure you have an unscented moisturizer on hand. My moisturizer is gentle but scented, which usually doesn't bother me, but was stingy after the fact.

CONCLUSION:
I'm into this! It's a mask that had an actual effect immediately! Will update as I keep using, but for now, I'm a fan.

on 4/7/2015 8:23:00 PM

This is my first makeupalley review I've ever written.... Before trying any new product I always consult makeupalley first. Recently I switch to a whole slew of new products (bad idea... I KNOW!)... as a result, my face broke out worse than it has ever been in my life. Thats pretttttty bad considering I've been through a round of accutane and countless other acne treatments. I decided to use this mask. I initially used it with ACV, but found it to be a little harsh. I also have tried it with diluted ACV, as well as with water. Tonight I mixed the clay powder with a little greek yogurt and honey... HOLY MOLEY! The amount of whiteheads on my forehead were dramatically diminished... The results were so exciting that I am writing this review with a big fat grin on my face! I can't believe how well this mask worked in just one use when mixed with the greek yogurt and a tiny squirt of honey... Will definitely be using this combo from now on! Seriously... try this stuff! I've tried everything and thought there was no hope for my congested forehead/T-zone. So thankful I found this stuff!

on 4/1/2015 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I ordered this product from Amazon because I had read a few reviews online and I watched some YouTube reviews. At first I was skeptical because the price was cheap and I figured, you get what you pay for. Now that I've been using it 3 times a week for the last 3 weeks, I'M IN LOVE... I have oily skin and dark scars (I'm a picker) and at first it seemed like my face was oilier but now I'm noticing my skin isn't as oily as it typically has been for years. Also, my scars seem to be fading. I'm having to use less foundation and conceiler and my daily makeup routine is starting to take less time. I usually mix 1 tbsp Clay Mask with 1 1/2 tbsp ACV (apple cider vinegar) in a small mixing bowl with a plastic spoon. I use extra ACV so it won't be so thick (the thicker it is, the harder it is to take off) Then I use a foundation brush to apply it to my face and set the timer on my phone for 30 min. After about 7 min I can feel the pulsating. When the timer goes off, I take a warm wet washcloth to dampen the dry clay. Then I use my Clairsonic face brush to gently wash the mask off... After my face drys, I apply a water based moisturizer and #BangBang I'm done... This product is one that I will use for the rest of my life. With that being said, GOTTA GO DO MY MASK BEFORE I FORGET...

on 3/30/2015 9:00:00 PM

This stuff is pretty great! I love to mix it with activated charcoal and milk. I use lemon juice instead of ACV because I like the lightening and toning effect of the lemon juice. I find that you should make it slightly more watery than dry, it's much easier to apply and clean up. this helps a lot with acne and blackheads. I can see a difference every time I use it. you can also mix it with turmeric, but I prefer to mix turmeric with yogurt so it doesn't stain my face :) I'll be honest, making this mask is a huge hassle. I used to use reusable plastic measuring spoons and a glass bowl but it was so awful to clean up, and it left a weird residue on my glass bowl. I now use plastic spoons and plastic cups and that makes it so much easier. my face is red after using this but it goes away quickly. this mask brings stubborn pimples to a head and minimizes blackheads and pores. its one of the only things that has ever worked for my cystic acne. it's super cheap for a very large quantity and super effective! highly recommend!!!

on 3/30/2015 7:29:00 PM

As an former severe acne sufferer I have used my share of clay masks with varying results but none has been as effective as this one, this stuff is amazing. It does what is advertises, it reduces visible pores, evens out my skin tone and deeply cleanses my skin. You can almost tell how effective this mask is when wearing it sense you can basically feel it pulling the dirt out of your pores, it almost feels your skin is pulsating. A warning though, this is one of those products that may cause breakout in the beginning sense it's basically drawing out impurities, and very effectively at that.

on 3/25/2015 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I love this mask, I use it once a week to help tighten pores, get rid of blackheads on my nose and clear pores in general. I mix it with Bragg's apple cider vinegar, with ratio 1:1.
I love the pulsating effect, it really feels like my pores are being rejuvenated and it does help with any pimples that might pop up as it tends to reduce them in size, overnight... This isn't always the case however, but it's nice to have an all natural clay mask on your face knowing it might just banish the pimples away, or even help it along the way. I also love using this because I suffer from post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, too, and the apple cider vinegar I mix the clay with helps with the reduction and lightening.

After I cleanse, I like to steam my face first before using this, because your pores open up with steam and when the clay dries up on my face I feel the pulsating effects more.

Bentonite clay is naturally very drying so you have got make sure you restore the moisture back into your face with a good moisturiser... I like to use an organic and pure rosehip oil by Trilogy, then Vichy Normaderms hydrating care which has lovely AHA's, salicylic acid and also non-comedegenic, without parabens and is hypoallergenic!

on 3/22/2015 4:57:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have used this mask 10 times in the last 5 weeks. Like the majority of people, I absolutely love this product and will never go without it again.
This mask dries up new pimples, helps older ones fade, cleans out pores and overall makes my skin look amazing. The first use caused me to break out a bit, but it was just the purging effect and they went away quickly. I've been getting so many compliments on my skin, and don't need to use heavy foundation or concealer anymore.
I bought mine at Whole Foods Market for $7. The tub is pretty big and since I only use one teaspoon per mask, the tub will last me a year maybe. So great value.
I use one teaspoon of the clay and one teaspoon of raw Apple Cider Vinegar, and leave the mask on for about 30 minutes.
It is a bit of a mess to mix together. But I find it fun, like I'm making a magic beauty potion hehe.
I definitely recommend this.

on 3/21/2015 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I feel like this REALLY cleans out my pores!
note: I have sensitive, combo skin and this doesnt make me break out or irritate my skin at all!
I've only used this as a face mask & acne spot treatment.
I purchase this at the vitamin shoppe, or order online. It's totally worth it because you get SOOOO much product and only use a little bit at a time. I can barely use it all up before it expires. Considering how much product you get it really isn't a bad price.
I mix equal parts of this powder with bragg organic apple cider vinegar (highly suggest this mixture, it is definitely better than just mixing with water)

I mix it in a bag, then rub on my face and leave on for about 15 minutes.
The sensation is hard to explain, it is like a pulsing/pulling/tightening feeling!! I can't handle it for more than 15 minutes until I have to take off the mask. my face is a little red afterwards but that goes away. I take it off with water then usually use a gentle hydrating cleanser like cerave or even cetaphil, then put on a gentle moisturizer since the mask can leave me dry.
but once I use this, HOLY COW my skin is sooooo clear and I feel like all the gunk in my pores is out. it feels SO CLEAN
once a week I do it all over my face and other than that I use it as a spot treatment or just around my nose/tzone/acne prone areas.
the only cons are the smell, it's kind of messy, takes time to prepare, and difficult to take off. The pulling feeling it gives when it's on your face is odd, but not a big deal. the end result is definitely worth it

IMPORTANT:
When you mix this with water or the organic apple cider vinegar it makes this gross paste. (if you spill some powder, vacuum it up.. do not use a damp towel to wipe it up bc it'll turn into that paste). That paste should NOT be put down your drain. this is why I mix it in a plastic bag, put it on my face via plastic bag so nothing has to be washed. IMPORTANT: when you take off the mask do not let any go down the drain!! I use damp paper towels then throw them in the trash.

I'm so sick of masks not doing anything, so this mask is totally worth the extra trouble. It is more time consuming than squeezing product from a tube and jumping in the shower to rinse off. I'm seriously so lazy but I will definitely spend time on this mask. Once you do it a couple times it's not a big deal
I know it's hard to find, smells bad, you have to be extra careful, can't go down the drain, feels weird, etc but I SWEAR THIS PRODUCT IS WORTH IT. it has made such a difference in my skin. I've stopped using other face masks because this one is amazing. it seriously gets my pores soooo cleaned out. definitely worth it. it's my secret weapon and i highly recommend it.

Popular Masks