April 17, 2014 | 1030 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2014 12:20:00 AM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Picked this up last week out of curiosity since I'd never tried a lipstick from NYC before and chose this shade as I knew it had a cult following. Sadly, while I can definitely see why this shade is so popular, this color isn't for me. I do like deep red lipsticks a lot, especially when they're semi-sheer like this one is, but the undertone is too warm/brown for my taste. It's a color I might have loved back during late 90s when I was in high school, but these days I prefer cooler toned reds with blue or berry undertones. Anything else just looks muddy or garish to me now.

I do really love the level of pigment though. It hits that Goldilocks spot for me where it's translucent enough to soften the punch of a dark/bold shade of lipstick while still being pigmented enough to achieve opaque coverage when I want it to if I add a second coat. And it can be blotted down to a sheer stain if wearing it full strength is too much at the moment! Products with this level of pigmentation are great if you're the type of person who prefers softer makeup by day and more drama by night. This lipstick can be dressed up or dressed down with very little effort! It'd work just as well at a black tie dinner as it would at work or while running errands on a Saturday afternoon. This versatility is part of what makes this shade so popular.

Quality-wise, this lipstick is pretty good for its lowlowlow price. The formula is no-frills to be sure, but it's comfortable to wear. It's not the best formula I've ever tried from a budget brand, but it's good enough that I'm definitely interested in trying more shades from NYC. Just hauled a few of their Expert Last lipsticks today in fact!

My only real complaint with this product is the packaging. I'm no packaging snob by any stretch of the imagination and I don't have unreasonably high expectations for the packaging of cheap makeup, but man do I hate lipsticks with clear caps! Sure it's nice to be able to see what a lipstick looks like without opening it up, but clear plastic caps are so flimsy! They crack easily and never seem to fit as tightly as caps made from opaque plastic. I find this to be true no matter what brand, what type of product or what shape of tube/bottle/pencil it is. It happens just as often with eyeliner or foundation bottles as it does with lipstick. It's one of my biggest cosmetic pet peeves!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2014 7:41:00 PM More reviews by rose1234

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this red over the holidays for $.99 at CVS. I am NC15 for reference and when I applied this full on, it was hideous. Way too dark and overwhelmed my whole face. My sister who leans a half shade darker and is more olive looked terrible in it, too. So, I put it in my pocket and forgot about it.

Months later, I took out that jacket, found the lipstick and just dabbled a very thin amount on with my fingers. It created such a lovely, wearable sheer red.

EDIT: I am sad because I wish the formula was longer lasting. It seems to wear off so fast! I tried applying, powdering and then applying again, but it started trending towards the nasty color it has when applied too heavily. I reluctantly took off two stars for it since I cannot be reapplying with a mirror at work everytime I sip water.

PROS:
Wearable color when lightly applied.
Formula is not drying
OMG the price!
No bleeding

CONS:
yep, bad packaging
Not long lasting!!!!
Must be carefully applied

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2013 5:39:00 PM More reviews by Yashuragi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

If there is such a thing as a 'casual' red lipstick, this is it!
I bought this based off reviews from several beauty bloggers. And I'm glad I did! I love this lipstick!

This lipstick is a muted blue-based red. It is not too bright or loud unlike traditional red lipsticks. Yet it still retains the elegance of a red lipstick.
It is absolutely perfect for when I want some color on my lips, but do not want to sport anything too bright.

Texture is smooth, creamy and does not settle into any lines. It has no shimmer. It feels very light on the lips, just like every N.Y.C. Ultra Moist Lipstick.

Packaging is very fragile and flimsy as usual of cheap drugstore brands. Extra care must be taken when removing the cap or you'll end up smearing the lipstick on it.
You would also need a very secure pouch if you want to bring this along with you throughout the day, because I can easily imagine the flimsy cap falling off and the lipstick making a mess.

But! Packaging is not stopping me from wearing this beautiful casual red lipstick! Absolutely love it, and its easily one of my daily casual lipsticks!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/12/2013 2:24:00 AM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this and one other NYC lipstick because they were only $2.99 and I felt I couldn't go wrong. I enjoyed the Sheer Red for 2 days and then it broke in my purse from the heat. It is summer but I carry other lipsticks and they did not melt and break. I don't love it enough to salvage the broken tip and use a brush. I feel it is my duty to say it's not a good formula, it's not good packaging (it always has sticky residue when you finally pry off the tape with a knife), it has a greasy taste and feel and it does not last more than a few minutes. For the record, the other shade was pretty in the tube (304 Mocha) but hideous on the lips. They looked OK worn together. But really this is not a good product. I've enjoyed other shades of theirs without incident. Especially the Mahogany, but it's now too dark for me. My main complaint is the below average quality. Wait till the decent brands are on sale rather than get one of these unless it's an emergency and for short term use. Even then think twice about throwing away $2.99 on a new shade without having a tester. Or at least never carry it around on a hot day. I have to give this product the lowest possible rating on all counts because there are so many good lipsticks around.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2013 11:13:00 PM More reviews by greenbird

A wearable, elegant shade that can be worn as a sheer stain or as a full-on lip color. It has a moisturizing texture, and is not drying like many matte red lipsticks. I am a medium toned Asian who has tried so many red lipsticks. i wanted to look elegant, classy, sexy, and a bit like those pin-ups-but whenever I tried different red lipsticks (Revlon Really Red, NYC retro red, MAC Russian Red, MAC Lady Danger (a very orangey red), MAC Viva Glam 1 (?, it's a dark red but can't remember the number), it just screamed "I'm wearing a red! I'm trying way too hard!" I thought Revlon Really Red and NYC retro red were actually beautiful shades-but not very flattering on me. If you're scared of going too bright and in your face red-this is an extremely wearable color that does not turn pink, fuchsia (that happens a lot when I try a red lip)-try this. For less than a $1.00, it's easy to try. Packaging sucks and is flimsy-but this is a wearable, red that you can put on lightly (after eating, since it's sheer-it doesn't look like you just made out with someone and gets all over the place as a bright red)-or put on fully and have a beautiful classic lip. It's not as bold as the shades I mentioned earlier, but when I pair it with black liquid liner, lashes or thick mascara, and do my brows (I think it's important to groom your brows when you wear red lipstick-it's a much cleaner, groomed look)-you look sophisticated, elegant, classy, and sexy. My boyfriend loved this shade on me, and he's someone who thinks many reds are too loud. I put my hair up sometimes, wear minimal eye makeup (black, winged liner, or neutral eyeshadow), groom my brow, and I feel very timeless. A great red at a low price-don't expect long wear and great packaging. It's a buck-and a buck well spent. I love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 12:56:00 PM More reviews by jpando

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My favorite everyday red! Very wearable color that does not turn fuchsia on me like most reds. This one reminds me of MAC Tahiti. It is smooth and creamy and very flattering on my pale skin. I stock up on this one in case they discontinue it!! The only drawback is the packaging with this line - the tube does not let you twist the color down far enough so you risk nicking the color when you remove the cap. Just have to be careful! Will always buy this one!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2013 12:26:00 AM More reviews by Sparkylarky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this lipstick! It is the perfect wearable everyday red. Its not too bright or too dark, just right. It makes my face look a little more made up and perfected. I have dark hair and fair skin so when I wear this I look a little like snow white :). So glad I found this. And I got it for under a buck at cvs. Great buy!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2013 9:36:00 PM More reviews by ILUVLC

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This lipstick is actually my first red lipstick purchase, and I absolutely adore the color! It is really pigmented so you only need about one swipe to get a good color payoff. The color is not too bright, it is like the perfect red, especially for those like me who are new to the red lipstick wearing field and it only cost $0.93 at my local walmart. I am definitely stocking up on this color!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2013 12:12:00 AM More reviews by Momeramas

This was one of the best bangs for my buck. I can't remember what I spent but it was under $2. The color is just perfect for daytime - not screaming, "I'm wearing red." It feels moisturizing on the lips - it's really pretty and will work for almost anyone at any age because it is not too dark and heavy. I am a medium toned Asian and as someone who is getting older, I appreciate the sheerness/stainability of this lipstick, because the darker colors can be aging. Oh, the packaging is not good, but what do you expect at this price point. Go try it - at this price, you will not be sorry.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2012 12:30:00 AM More reviews by velvetgirl

I bought this lipstick because I saw a review for it on youtube. I usually don't grab red lipsticks...it's just too hard to find that right shade that has enough blue in it so it won't look orangey and yet sheer enough so that it is practical enough to wear out. This is not that shade for me. It has just too much orange in it. So glad this only cost 94 cents! I have spent much more on lipsticks that were the wrong shade. Lipstick is just that ONE beauty product that can be hard to pin down and feel confident buying. Just when I do find that right shade, that perfect SPANISH ROSE shade (looking at you L'Oreal) they discontinue it.

The lipstick itself is very comfortable and I didn't notice any scent. So I will buy this particular lipstick again, but not this shade. Oh and I don't think it's that sheer either. It's pretty bright. But that's on my lips.

UPDATE: For some reason I think I'm changing my mind on this color. It actually wears really nice and my lips feel moisturized with it too. The color is adjustable depending on how you apply it and its easily buildable. I like to dab it on my lips and then sheer it out with my fingers, it looks more like a stain and more natural that way. It also does something for my overall face coloring. I was too harsh on this little lipstick, it can certainly hold it's own! I think it's a lot more versatile than I first realized and very wearable.