New York Color 309B Sheer Red

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

Castor Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ozokerite, Candelilla Wax, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Ceresin, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Beeswax, Lanolin Oil, PEG-4 Diheptanoate, Petrolatum, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Carnauba Wax, Hydrogenated Microcrystalline Wax, Tridecyl Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol, Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Fragrance, Propylparaben, Tin Oxide, Silica. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Red 6 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Red 27 Lake, Yellow 10 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine

on 6/29/2015 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I love how this product a person to have a low-maintenance and fearless red lip. It was the first red lipstick I ever tried, and I found it to be very manageable. It isn't super bold, and lasts relatively well.

It is a little dry, however. Sometimes it takes a little work to put on and drags against the lips.

on 5/25/2015 12:38:00 AM

Since Julie Hewett discontinued Oona Noir, I've been on the hunt for an everyday red. Surprisingly, this simple, ridiculously inexpensive (.99-cents at CVS!) little drugstore brand is so close to my discontinued favorite in not only color, but also in moisture, texture and staying power. Depending on the application, it can be subtle and sheer or more intense. No glitter or sparkle; not as dry as matte; slight, inoffensive scent that I can't quite put my finger on, only that I notice it when the color is applied and not when it's on, and color lasts pretty well. The only reason I give it 4 stars is because the tube isn't retractable, which I feel offers better protection for the product. I'm really happy to have found such an affordable everyday.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This is a beautiful red color. My lips are very full and anything with sparkles or shine makes them look ridiculous. This color has neither of those and that is why I love it

on 3/6/2015 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I like this a lot. I only have two negatives. One: it wears off quickly (however it does leave a nice stain). And two: the bullet does not retract fully (a la Wet n Wild). Other than that this is a nice workplace friendly red.

on 10/10/2014 8:47:00 AM

I've always LOVED red lipstick since I was a little girl but I gave up years ago because I could never find the right shade and I thought it wasn't for me. This year I started my search again because I was determined to find something. I had more misses than hits, but I found two incredible shades that work for my fair skintone. (NYX Hero and Rimmell of London Kate Moss #11) HOWEVER that being said I still wanted a red color to wear when I don't want to wear the full on 1940's glamour queen red and this pretty much fit the bill. The color is sheer so I do need to apply a few layers but I really like it. On me it's more of a brownish red so I wish it had a bit more blue tone to it but honestly, I can't complain too much. At $.99 you can buy it and if you don't like it you can chuck it without a second thought.

on 7/23/2014 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been trying to get myself comfortable with wearing red lipsticks, and this is one that I can pull off! As the name says, it is sheer, which makes it a good gateway red. It is more of a pink-toned red than orange-toned, which works well with my warm complexion and doesn't feel clown-like. It doesn't last very long, and the tube is difficult to re-cap as the product does not fully retract, but it's still totally worth the $3!!!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Bought this on a beauty blogger's recommendation because she said it's a wearable red and having never worn red lipstick before, I wanted something that fits the bill of being wearable and cheap in the event that I really don't like it. The lipstick fits all of the bill. At first, I was still afraid to wear it out in public because it goes on pretty opaque. You can of course adjust the opacity by how much you apply to your lips. I did find it difficult to apply it accurately without going outside of my lips, but that's my own fault. As I got more comfortable with wearing red, I bought a deep burgundy/almost brown lip pencil from Prestige called Mocha, another really budget friendly product, and started laying the sheer red on top of it. I just love the dark vampy lips that the combo produced and I found myself more comfortable with the vampy lips than with the NYC lipstick alone. I find that blotting your lips with a tissue after application allows for a more matte look and longer wear and it doesn't feather out of the lips as much. I found a way to make this lipstick work for me and I really like it now!

on 6/6/2014 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I can see how other people may like this lipstick but unfortunately for me, the color clashed with my skin tone. It's almost as though it can't choose between being burgundy or red and that wasn't flattering on my fair skin. However, it is a nice consistency and very pigmented.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

1 of the only red shades I can pull off w/o looking like a clown or like I tried too hard. I can see why ev1 loves this!! It's a bit brown too which is a bonus instead of being so neon. Very classy! I like the packaging coz you can quickly determine which lipstick you have right off because of the clear cap.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Picked this up last week out of curiosity since I'd never tried a lipstick from NYC before and chose this shade as I knew it had a cult following. Sadly, while I can definitely see why this shade is so popular, this color isn't for me. I do like deep red lipsticks a lot, especially when they're semi-sheer like this one is, but the undertone is too warm/brown for my taste. It's a color I might have loved back during late 90s when I was in high school, but these days I prefer cooler toned reds with blue or berry undertones. Anything else just looks muddy or garish to me now.

I do really love the level of pigment though. It hits that Goldilocks spot for me where it's translucent enough to soften the punch of a dark/bold shade of lipstick while still being pigmented enough to achieve opaque coverage when I want it to if I add a second coat. And it can be blotted down to a sheer stain if wearing it full strength is too much at the moment! Products with this level of pigmentation are great if you're the type of person who prefers softer makeup by day and more drama by night. This lipstick can be dressed up or dressed down with very little effort! It'd work just as well at a black tie dinner as it would at work or while running errands on a Saturday afternoon. This versatility is part of what makes this shade so popular.

Quality-wise, this lipstick is pretty good for its lowlowlow price. The formula is no-frills to be sure, but it's comfortable to wear. It's not the best formula I've ever tried from a budget brand, but it's good enough that I'm definitely interested in trying more shades from NYC. Just hauled a few of their Expert Last lipsticks today in fact!

My only real complaint with this product is the packaging. I'm no packaging snob by any stretch of the imagination and I don't have unreasonably high expectations for the packaging of cheap makeup, but man do I hate lipsticks with clear caps! Sure it's nice to be able to see what a lipstick looks like without opening it up, but clear plastic caps are so flimsy! They crack easily and never seem to fit as tightly as caps made from opaque plastic. I find this to be true no matter what brand, what type of product or what shape of tube/bottle/pencil it is. It happens just as often with eyeliner or foundation bottles as it does with lipstick. It's one of my biggest cosmetic pet peeves!

Popular Lipsticks