April 21, 2014 | 1884 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 8:41:00 PM More reviews by concestor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I switched to Alima Pure satin foundation a few years ago after Everyday Minerals changed their formula, and haven't thought about using anything else since. I have very sensitive and eczema-prone skin and it's never caused me problems, as long as I clean my brushes regularly.

The colour selection is great but is definitely tricky for first-timers, so I recommend trying as many samples as possible before buying a full size. I have warm undertones and I tan easily; I use Golden 0 and Golden 3 as a base (depending on how tanned I am), and Golden 9 to highlight so my face doesn't look like a mask. What I love about this brand is that I can build up the colour or tone it down depending on the time of year.

I also recommend watching their application tutorial video, it made a HUGE difference in how the end result looks. My biggest tip: less is more; if you start out with a lot of powder on your brush it can look very cakey!

Lastly, the mailer packaging is great and very eco-friendly.

Note:
I still use Everyday Minerals brushes with this foundation. They're very inexpensive, super soft, and have never caused a breakout on my sensitive skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2014 7:35:00 PM More reviews by PlantStrong

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Nice foundation. Their shade selection is great -- I mix Beige 2 and Neutral 3 for an exact skintone match. The coverage is moderate, so it gives a natural look, not mask-like. Blends really well. Feels comfortable on skin, doesn't irritate. It's easy to apply to much -- use sparingly!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/8/2014 10:51:00 AM More reviews by Lovemygold2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was looking for a mineral foundation that has a good colour match to my Bare Minerals, goes on without making me look like I have rolled around in chalk and without too many chemical additives. I wanted so badly for Alima to work for me, but it has not. I ordered several samples of foundation along with x2 eyeshadows and x1 blush (I will review those later). The foundations felt smooth as silk, I used a dense soft brush made for mineral powder so I got a great coverage but the every sample shade I tried turned really dark once applied to skin and all the shades ended up looking the same. Flat, chalky and too dark. I even wiped everything off and did line swatches on my face to compare shade differences and there were virtually none. I am grateful I didn't blind buy a full size, but the cost of postage is a bit high to the UK and not one of the foundation samples was usable for a full face. I don't think I will not be purchasing a full size foundation. For now I will finish off my nearly empty Bare. Minerals and go on another hunt for something more natural, less chemicals, reasonable price and great coverage that suits my skin tone.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2014 8:09:00 PM More reviews by j4nda26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I really wanted to love this product I found my shade which is Beige 4 (main) and Beige 5. It was the perfect match for my skin tone and let me tell you I have always had a difficulty finding my shade. I am Asian but Tan. Most makeup always look pink on me not enough yellow. I applied this makeup during the day, sunlight and all and it was flawless. It blends right in I couldn't even tell I was wearing makeup. It delivered a medium but flawless coverage. It was a satin finish but not greasy looking without any heavy feeling at all. It also withstands a hot climate.. This would've been a perfect every day makeup since it look great even with direct sunlight...Then, after a few days I started breaking out which made me really sad. I thought this would be the least of my worries with this makeup since it's marketed to have no allergens or toxic harsh chemicals so I'm very disappointed...maybe it was the brush but I also have broken out from bareminerals in the past and gave me the worst allergic reaction in the whole history so I am scared to keep using this again....

Pros:
30 day foundation match guarantee (good customer service)
Satin matte finish (not greasy,oily)
Long lasting (withstands humidity)
flawless coverage
Light weight

Cons:
Causes breakout
Tend to get cakey or chalky if too much is applied (be careful)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2013 5:06:00 PM More reviews by trickmaus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

While there are some definite positives to this product, there are some serious downsides too.

Pros:
- It comes in a very large variety of shades, making it much easier to find your perfect colour match.
- It has a minimal amount of ingredients, and has never made me break out.

Cons:
- It's so incredibly see through that I have to layer it on to get ANY sort of coverage for my redness (to the point of cake face)...let's not even talk about pimples. Those are never covered with this foundation.
- It's expensive, as far as mineral makeup goes.

Overall, I just don't get what I need out of this foundation. If you have anything but flawless skin, I recommend trying Lucy Minerals. It covers imperfections much better, for a lower price point (currently about 10 dollars less), and doesn't look cakey.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2013 7:23:00 PM More reviews by oohlalasamira

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I discovered Alima thanks to MUA and I couldn't be more thankful that I did. I have very clog-prone skin. Up until a few years ago, I could get away with wearing heavy liquid foundations, (e.g. Makeup Forever, Givenchy, Cle de Peau, Prescriptives, Dior, Bobbi Brown, etc.) but now, my skin only tolerates Alima's mineral foundation. I've tried other mineral products, including Youngblood and Bare Minerals, but I've found Alima's - with its minimal ingredients - to be the best. It covers redness and hyperpigmentation without contributing to acne. Although Alima offers a wide range of colors, finding the perfect color for my skin-tone has been difficult. I currently use Warm 4, which is a bit too yellow, but I've also used Beige 3 and 4, and Golden 3 in the past. Other than that- I have no complaints. I have no doubt that I will be using Alima for the rest of my life.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/5/2013 6:56:00 AM More reviews by kayci21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I generally like this product. It doesn't break me out, there's a wide range of shades to choose from, it doesn't oxidise, and it provides light to medium coverage. It also feels very light to wear, so you can wear it comfortably during the warmer months for the most part.

What I don't like is that it doesn't really do anything to control oil (within about two hours, my face is an oil slick, even when I've used setting powder) and it can become patchy. I think it would probably work best on people with normal smooth skin.

I have it in several shades but Warm 2, Warm 3 and Olive 1.5 seem to suit me the most.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2013 3:44:00 PM More reviews by harmonyjensen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This didn't work for me. First, I have extremely clog prone skin and this caused me to breakout. I used the foundation for nearly 3 weeks and my skin was a mess by the time I stopped using it. It started to produce inflamed acne and clogged pores after about 10 days. Second, I could not get very good coverage with this or even their concealer. I have some acne scars and PIH to cover. I finally achieved a decent coverage by patting on a thick layer of the concealer with a damp brush and then patting the area after wetting my brush again to blend. Then I would apply the foundation. I could never get the right amount of the minerals and it would either look like I was wearing nothing or it would be cakey. Third, this made me look 10 years older and settled into every fine line and crease on my face. Finally, it melted off my face by lunch and didn't control oil at all. Even with their primer and finishing powder. I now have a huge cosmetic bag full of samples. I should probably put them up for swap. One positive is it's pretty easy to find your match and the colors are forgiving. I used Warm 2, but could pull off Olive 1 and Warm 1 too.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2013 8:57:00 PM More reviews by UrsyN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great Product! Excellent coverage and colour match. Amazing customer service

I recently purchased a few satin matte foundation samples from Alima. My perfect shade was W4 (for reference I'm an NC40 in Winter). I have used Everyday minerals previously and had to stop since they changed their formula. I found Alima Pure's mineral foundation to have only 4 ingredients, which attracted me to the line. I had a few samples from EM left at home so I decided to try and see which has better coverage. I applied Alima on one side and EM on the other. Both applications went well initially...the match was very close so I couldn't tell the difference. After a couple of hours I noticed that the side with EM (semi-matte) looked a little oily and my pores looked huge, whereas the side with Alima stayed a beautiful satin matte and my pores were barely noticeable. I wore the foundation again for a night out and it still looked amazing on my face. This is my 5th day on it and I still love it. I have very sensitive skin (Eczema and Acne prone) and this has not caused any irritations yet. I have ordered a full size along with a couple of blushes and lippies, which I'm really excited about.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by mustanggurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't understand what the big infatuation with this mineral foundation is... It didn't cover well, the finish looked dull and powdery and it just kind of sat on top of my skin unlike other mineral powders I've used before. And no, it's not because I have dry skin or I didn't prep my skin correctly. I have oily skin actually and I tried prepping my skin with moisturizer and primer, then tried no primer... Same thing. Just a very dry dull cakey look and it made me look a lot older than I am. I am 27 with nice skin with no acne marks, scars, acne or un-evenness...(The alima satin foundation made me look at least 35). I Just need a little bit of color to match my sunless tanned body and cover a little bit of redness on my cheeks. It didn't do that. I prefer my everyday minerals matte over this stuff anyday. Actually, I wear it everyday pretty much and it makes my complexion always look great. I use cetaphil spf30 moisturizer before I apply the minerals, it makes it look great and glowy. This Alima stuff may work for some people, but if your kind of a "mineral foundation expert" and have tried everything, don't waste your time trying this one next. It won't impress you.