November 24, 2014 | 1784 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2014 1:48:00 AM More reviews by calico

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this in Birch. The colour fit my skin tone very well. It also covers very well too.

However, I will not be re-purchasing. I find that this mineral foundation dries out my skin. I have dry, sensitive skin to begin with and it makes it worse. I started having dry patches after each use and it took several days of intensive moisturising and switching to a fluid foundation to fix.

I don't plan to let the rest of the foundation go to waste. Will experiment by mixing up a concoction of Neal's Yard Beauty Balm and this mineral powder foundation to come up with a less drying foundation formula. Will see....

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2014 2:33:00 PM More reviews by MrsTefee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ok. At first when I bought this about a year ago I tried it a few times and I hated it. It gave uneven coverage and it never really blended into my skin, it just looked terrible.

I recently have started using it again and I have figured out what I was doing wrong when trying to apply this foundation. I have found that this foundation works amazing, when used with something underneith like a primer.

Before, I didn't use anything prior to applying this foundation (other than my moisturizer) and I think thats where everything went wrong. Now, I apply a layer of the too faced primed and poreless powder and then I will apply the alima pure with a soft kabuki brush and this seems to be working perfectly. The wear time is longer and it covers evenly with a medium-full coverage look. I have this in shade "warm 0" and I am NC5 (if there were an nc5 haha).

The reason this still only gets a 3/5 is because I do not like having to use a second product in order for this product to work, that just means more cost and product usage for me which isnt exactly ideal. Also the packaging gets a 2/5 because there is no way to "close" it. Yes there is a lid but if this gets tossed around at all, the makeup just comes out of the sifter as there is no way to re-seal the sifter once opened and this is very inconvient and very messy. What I do is put a little cotton ball on top to keep the makeup from getting all over inside the container.

I think I will finally use this up but I will keep looking for alternatives and I dont plan on repurchasing at this moment.

Pros
-coverage is medium-full
-matches my skin shade
-doesn't cause acne/irritation

cons
-messy
-must use a primer beforehand
-fussy application
-not travel friendly
-only available online > extra expense

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2014 11:43:00 AM More reviews by shellie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Light olive skin here-- hit my thirties and now prone to breakouts on my chin and lower face. I am breakout prone, yet also prone to dryness around my eyes and mouth. And did I mention I have sun damage and melasma in places? I'm always looking for the right combination of cleanser, exfoliant, sunscreen, and makeup. Most drugstore makeups don't match me, as cool/neutral colors turn pink while warm colors turn orange. If that weren't enough, they make me look cakey or break me out anyway.

So I started researching a couple different mineral makeups, even though I like the look of a liquid better. I was basically looking for a foundation that had a light olive tone in their range, so I ordered some samples from Alima. I thought olive 1.5 was my best fit, but when I started running out of the sample size of that, I went to olive 2 and found that was even better.

I noticed the ease of blending, creamy feel and good coverage, and the fact that this powder seemed to help refine any small under the skin bumps, almost like a skin treatment. But-- it does all this without drying the skin out under my eyes, which is usually a huge problem for me with mineral makeup.

I ordered the full size of olive 2 along with a few samples of blush, concealer, and contouring powder (sombra) for bronzer and it creates the best look I've seen on me in a while! I look natural, smooth, radiant, and healthy-- not "all made up".

With the clean look and feel, good color match, and possible skincare benefits, I think this is what bare minerals wanted to be, but isn't.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/16/2014 4:31:00 PM More reviews by eatmyshort

it's a pretty makeup that has light coverage. This is not for those who want to conceal scars or zits. it looked good for about 2 hours and disappear into thin air making my skin looking muddy. Like everyone else mention, after 2 hours, all the shades look the same and my skin looked worst than it does without it on. I wouldn't repurchase because I was looking for a long lasting medium coverage mineral foundation that won't change color,fade, slide off my face, accentuate pores, turning orange, grey, or oxidize on me. On the positive side, it doesn't make me break out. Other than that , it's a non wearable makeup for me. I might consider buying this makeup again when I reach menopause or whenever my skin can no longer produce any facial oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 6:05:00 AM More reviews by 33Lisa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Now on my 3rd jar. Favourite foundation - did take a while to figure out how it works best for me though. I have difficult skin to work with (very oily & clogged up, mild acne, redness, sensitive, flaky in some areas from BP use). I get a natural, healthy-looking finish that I am pleased with when I use this product.

Colours: took me a couple rounds of samples to get my colour match right (after reading all the reviews saying that golden tones were VERY yellow and 0 shades were VERY white, my match was Golden 0 - I am naturally a caucasian redhead for reference & have definite yellow undertones to my skin).

Finish: This what works for me: cleanse skin. for optimal results exfoliate somehow first (clarisonic/scrub). Then moisturise, wait a bit for it to soak in, blot/soak off the excess oil with 1ply of a 2ply facial tissue, mineral PRIMER powder brushed on with clean, soft synthetic-bristle fluffy kabuki brush (I make my own primer powder from 100% sericite mica bought from ebay, it's very cheap and I use tons of it, the alima one works well too but is expensive), same brush to pick up a bit of foundation, tap most of it off or into the brush and then apply sparingly all over my face, finishing with downward strokes. I always get a better finish if i've used the primer powder first but it works ok on its own too. I use it as concealer over blemishes and it will go on smoothly if I've used the primer powder first - I use a small, clean eyeshadow brush, pick up a bit of powder, dab it over all the blemishes, then use my fluffy brush again to very gently buff it in. I don't over-buff because this ruins the texture for me. Also I find it tends to cling to my skin with a yucky texture if I'm too oily, dry or flaky prior to application. Primer helps with this.
I also blot with facial tissues (Kleenex) during the day (I split the 2ply sheets in half) because I am oily and these powders alone don't hold it for me.

Skin issues: Doesn't cause acne for me (I get acne very easily from makeup normally). No sensitivity/allergy reactions as I have had with some other products. Doesn't "oxidise" (go weirdly orange after wearing it for a bit).

Company (Alima Pure): highly recommended. I wouldn't mind working for a company like this. Every order I've received has arrived beautifully packaged, neatly
wrapped & with a handwritten thankyou note. I like the beauty quotes on the product boxes, things about graciousness and listening to others and inner beauty enhancing outer beauty. A stark contrast to trashy, over-sexualised commercials of other makeup companies I've seen.

Price: a bit on the $$ side for my liking - I pay shipping to Australia too, so it really does add up. Haven't found a better product to date though. I'd like to try making my own mineral foundation for cheaper at some point (it's only 4 ingredients, right?) but worry about breathing in carcinogenic powders in the process. Oh, and I tend to hold my breath when dusting these things on my face.

Overall: recommended.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by OSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have dry skin and I never thought that mineral makeup would work for me. I would have never considered this makeup except that there were instructions on how to apply for dry skin and boy did that make all the difference!

I can tell that this makeup is high quality because it is loaded with pigment and feels rich and silky to the touch. It is not grainy at all. I had ordered some samples and was able to determine my shade and get a feel for how best to apply this makeup before I purchased. The samples were very reasonably priced.

I am MAC NC20 and I use Warm 1. I apply it using either a damp sponge or a brush that has some of the powder on it and then sprayed with a moisturizing spray. Applied to the skin a bit damp, it becomes just like a cream and that amplifies the coverage. Before applying, I use a moisturizer and then a heavy emollient sunscreen. If I think I need it, I use a primer also.

On my skin, all makeup gets a little cakey after awhile. This didn't perform any worse than anything else that I have tried. It does look more matte and natural than other foundations that I have. It seems to stay on all day. I can't say at this point that it is helping my skin but some of my blemishes are a little less aggravated after this month of use.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 8:41:00 PM More reviews by concestor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I switched to Alima Pure satin foundation a few years ago after Everyday Minerals changed their formula, and haven't thought about using anything else since. I have very sensitive and eczema-prone skin and it's never caused me problems, as long as I clean my brushes regularly.

The colour selection is great but is definitely tricky for first-timers, so I recommend trying as many samples as possible before buying a full size. I have warm undertones and I tan easily; I use Golden 0 and Golden 3 as a base (depending on how tanned I am), and Golden 9 to highlight so my face doesn't look like a mask. What I love about this brand is that I can build up the colour or tone it down depending on the time of year.

I also recommend watching their application tutorial video, it made a HUGE difference in how the end result looks. My biggest tip: less is more; if you start out with a lot of powder on your brush it can look very cakey!

Lastly, the mailer packaging is great and very eco-friendly.

Note:
I still use Everyday Minerals brushes with this foundation. They're very inexpensive, super soft, and have never caused a breakout on my sensitive skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2014 7:35:00 PM More reviews by PlantStrong

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Nice foundation. Their shade selection is great -- I mix Beige 2 and Neutral 3 for an exact skintone match. The coverage is moderate, so it gives a natural look, not mask-like. Blends really well. Feels comfortable on skin, doesn't irritate. It's easy to apply to much -- use sparingly!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/8/2014 10:51:00 AM More reviews by Lovemygold2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was looking for a mineral foundation that has a good colour match to my Bare Minerals, goes on without making me look like I have rolled around in chalk and without too many chemical additives. I wanted so badly for Alima to work for me, but it has not. I ordered several samples of foundation along with x2 eyeshadows and x1 blush (I will review those later). The foundations felt smooth as silk, I used a dense soft brush made for mineral powder so I got a great coverage but the every sample shade I tried turned really dark once applied to skin and all the shades ended up looking the same. Flat, chalky and too dark. I even wiped everything off and did line swatches on my face to compare shade differences and there were virtually none. I am grateful I didn't blind buy a full size, but the cost of postage is a bit high to the UK and not one of the foundation samples was usable for a full face. I don't think I will not be purchasing a full size foundation. For now I will finish off my nearly empty Bare. Minerals and go on another hunt for something more natural, less chemicals, reasonable price and great coverage that suits my skin tone.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2014 8:09:00 PM More reviews by j4nda26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I really wanted to love this product I found my shade which is Beige 4 (main) and Beige 5. It was the perfect match for my skin tone and let me tell you I have always had a difficulty finding my shade. I am Asian but Tan. Most makeup always look pink on me not enough yellow. I applied this makeup during the day, sunlight and all and it was flawless. It blends right in I couldn't even tell I was wearing makeup. It delivered a medium but flawless coverage. It was a satin finish but not greasy looking without any heavy feeling at all. It also withstands a hot climate.. This would've been a perfect every day makeup since it look great even with direct sunlight...Then, after a few days I started breaking out which made me really sad. I thought this would be the least of my worries with this makeup since it's marketed to have no allergens or toxic harsh chemicals so I'm very disappointed...maybe it was the brush but I also have broken out from bareminerals in the past and gave me the worst allergic reaction in the whole history so I am scared to keep using this again....

Pros:
30 day foundation match guarantee (good customer service)
Satin matte finish (not greasy,oily)
Long lasting (withstands humidity)
flawless coverage
Light weight

Cons:
Causes breakout
Tend to get cakey or chalky if too much is applied (be careful)