Extra Virgin Olive Oil

4.4

EVOO

on 3/18/2015 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

It's just great. I use it to cleanse my face after removing my eye makeup. It leaves my skin soft and hydrated. If you have it in the kitchen, you should give it a try! Don't get it in your eyes though

on 3/11/2015 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

First off, my family harvests olive trees so we've had extra virgin olive oil at home for cooking since I can remember, my grandfather made a mixture of olive oil and lemon which he used every night to rub his hands and they were always incredibly soft.

I sometimes mix it with sugar for body or/and hand exfoliation on dry skin and works wonders too.
Also I apply a few teaspoons on hair before washing to condition them or use it to remove wax traces from my legs after hair removal.

That said, I had never put it on my face since it's combination and acne prone. But lately it freaked out somehow and became dry/flaky while breaking out. I freaked out too and hesitated using my regular cleanser/acne treatment to avoid aggravating it further. Then I watched the Lisa Eldridge tutorial about face massage where she mentioned that some people use oil straight from the cupboard. I had nothing to lose at the moment since my skin was already fairly bad so I massaged it with olive oil and I have to say I'm impressed.

It's been ten days now, the rising pimples immediately stopped developing and they have totally flattened, only the red spots remain but they have started healing too. I have no new pimples and the dryness is gone. My skin looks soothed, radiant and plump. What's not to love?

What I do is splashing some water on my face each morning, pat it dry and distribute around 3 drops of olive oil on my hands (I have put some in a thoroughly clean serum container so it's always in my bathroom) After that I massage gently on my face for a few minutes, especially around the eyes and on the drier areas. No lotion, eyes cream, serum or moisturizer needed afterwards.

Obviously, it saves lots of money too. What about the greasiness? Well, of course some residue remains but since so small amount is used it looks like healthy shine, no grease. Also sebum regulation has significantly balanced since the skin doesn't need to produce its own oil for protection.

At night I either repeat the process or apply a toning lotion and propolis cream - for the antibacterial and healing properties - left overnight.

My skin is so much better. Natural remedies don't work for everyone and should be handled with care but that's just my experience.

on 3/10/2015 3:43:00 PM

This review is specifically for organic cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil.

Wish I'd discovered this sooner. This stuff is DOPE.

My skin is super-sensitive and prone to dryness. I found the products my skin seemed to respond well to all had Olive-related ingredients, so it seemed logical to add the raw ingredient itself to my regime.

I currently use Sabun soap (olive + bay laurel oil, made in Syria) to cleanse (body only). This product alone is amazing - it even resolved the KP on my arms (unlike all the various BHA & AHA products I tried which just made it worse).

I've been using olive oil as a body oil, bath oil, facial serum (mixed in with my Trilogy Very Gentle Moisturizer) and in place of a hand cream - the olive smell disappears minutes after application and it doesn't leave an oily residue - my skin drinks it right up.

I'm curious to try it mixed with some shea butter/aloe vera gel for more of a lotion/cream texture.

Btw, I've tried argan, sweet almond, coconut & hempseed - they were okay but there were scent/colour residue (hempseed) issues - and I didn't find any of them overly hydrating. Olive is definitely my favourite so far.

on 2/27/2015 9:04:00 PM

I have never tried olive oil on my face, so I cannot vouch for that. I have very clogged, acne prone, black head prone skin. I am worried using it on my face would make my problems much worse.

I do use it for my body though! I use extra virgin olive oil. I love making soaps (new hobby), and have made my first body butter using olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, and some essential oils.

Prior to discovering my love for making my own soaps and butters, I used olive oil in a mixture with sugar and honey (sometimes I did not use the honey), as a body scrub. I tried this with coconut oil, and I really do prefer olive oil as it leaves your skin so soft, smooth, and radiant. I don't have a set recipe for it. I think it depends on your own preference. I like my scrubs to have less oil, and more sugar so just mix a bit and keep adding either one until you get the consistency you desire.

My mom loves using olive oil on her really dry, cracked heels at night before bed. She just massages some into her skin. It has worked wonderfully for her.

Other than that, I use it for cooking a lot. I find adding too much to a simple dish, like omelettes, can make the taste overpowering. I also use it as a dressing for my salads, mixing some olive oil with ACV, lemon, and a dash of a dry herb (depends on what I have available).

I'd really recommend trying olive oil for skin conditioning, as well as internally for better health.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Have a love and hate relationship with olive oil. It once screwed me over and made me had cystic acne all over for a year and a half. But it save it's reputation by being a wonderful eye makeup remover, it conditions your lashes while removing stubborn makeup all at once. Trust me, my makeup is stubborn, especially my waterproof eyeliners and mascara

on 2/11/2015 10:35:00 PM

For years I have had the same routine when I wake up in the morning. I do a quick water rinse/splash and then go to the kitchen and pour a little olive oil in my palm and rub it in to my cheeks or wherever else I'm dry. It doesn't matter what I put on at night, I usually wake up with dry skin. Nothing, and I mean nothing, soaks in and moisturizes like Olive Oil. It feels so good and you really glow. Next step - eat breakfast, watch the news, whatever and then wash it off your face. Voila, your face is ready for it's regular skincare routine. You won't be disappointed.

There is literally nothing else I will ever use on my skin again.
Olive oil has made my skin perfect.
ANYONE WHO HAS TRIED EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL BUT DIDN'T HAVE GOOD RESULTS, PLEASE READ THIS.
I used to have severe oily skin from over washing. I would strip my face of it's natural oils, which made it over produce oil like crazy. This gave me terrible acne all the way through highschool, ranging from severe (when I wore a lot of makeup) to moderate. It was always red and blotchy and would flush very easily. I managed to ween myself off of any skin makeup (ie. foundation and concealer, etc). Then, I recently started working at a small specialty olive oil store, and began using olive oil on my skin and eating almost everything with olive oil. I now have NO breakouts, save for the odd tiny white head around my period, that fades in less than 2 days. My skin is smooth, even toned, not oily and has totally normalized (which is crazy). I don't wear any makeup except for on my eyes. I don't wash my face with anything except water. My skin glows and looks fuller. I have never felt more beautiful or had a beauty routine this simple (details below).
The interesting thing is that I have tried olive oil many times before because of it's reputation, but it always broke me out.
IT IS ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to get a high quality olive oil to use on your skin. Almost 90% of whats available in the grocery stores is old, and therefore rancid and totally void of antioxidants.
When you have a high quality oil, it will smell like fresh cut grass, taste bitter and green, and give you a peppery burn in the back of the throat. That burn is extremely important and comes from the polyphenols (the antioxidants) that occur in olives. The stronger that burn, the more robust the oil is, the more antioxidants that are present in the oil, and the better it will be for your skin and for your insides if you consume it regularly. It will be very light and silky and absorb into your skin easily.
If your oil doesn't not smell or taste like this, not only is it doing your skin no good, it may actually be doing it harm. As olive ages it becomes thick and greasy. It will begin to smell (like must or old closet or even plastic) as it ages and the antioxidants break down. As it oxidizes, it will build up free-radicals, which are effectively the opposite of an antioxidant (they cause damage instead of preventing it).
Olive oil only last about 14-16 months after the olives are harvest. If you are buying olive oil and it doesn't tell you a specific harvest date DO NOT BUY IT.
Beyond this time frame the polyphenols break down and you loose the benefit.
If the oil is in a clear bottle or a plastic bottle, DO NOT BUY IT. Clear bottles don't protect the oil from light exposure. Light will begin to break down the polyphenols very rapidly. Plastic bottles will leach chemicals into your oil.
If the oil is not specified as extra virgin, or if it is virgin, pure, or light, DO NOT BUY IT. Anything below the extra virgin grade is the 2nd, 3rd or 4th crush of the olives, and is often made with low quality olives. Even worse, pure and light oils have been REFINED, which means they've been exposed to high temperatures and chemical solvents. These oils will be completey stripped of their polyphenols and nutritional benefits.

Almost everything available in the grocery stores is no where near the grade you need to get any results on your face or in your health. Find a store that allows you to taste the oils. There are several chains and privately owned stores that will allow you to do this (a quick google search will reveal any in your area). The one I work for is a privately owned store supplied by Veronica Foods. They are one of the best suppliers in the industry, and have all of their oils tested twice in two separate labs. They are a three generation family owned business that have been doing this since the mid 1920'. They knwo their stuff.

If you go into a specialty olive oil store and the staff can't tell you where the oil came from (don't be drawn into the trap that good olive oil only comes from Italy or Greece. They produce just as much garbage oil as they do good. There are beautiful oils coming from countries all over the world, in our store we've had Spanish, Californian, Chilean, Australian, Peruvian, etc. The quality of the oil is much more important than where it came from), or if they can't tell you when it was harvested (that is THE most important date to know, countries in the Northern Hemisphere produce oil in the fall, Oct-Nov, where as countries in the Southern Hemisphere produce in the spring, April-May. Do not accept a vague answer), or what type of olive the oil was made form, go to another store. Even better, they should have information about the olive oils specific chemistry, including polyphenol counts, FFA levels, oleic acids, DAGS, etc. Avoid stores where the oil is pre-bottled. There are many that keep the oils in lightless containers and only bottle the oil when you purchase it. This is ideal. Always go for the strongest extra virgin they have. A polyhenol count of at least 350 ppm is ideal, though we've seen oils as high as 700 ppm.

The difference of using a high quality oil on your skin vs. the junk is incomparable. I use olive oil every day. Typically I'll keep the bottle in the cupboard by the bathroom sink, and every morning after my shower (I now only use 1 product in the shower, plain olive oil soap, I've weened myself off shampoo and conditioner, etc) where I rinse my hair and face with warm water,I dry my skin, apply olive oil lightly on my whole face and in my hair, and then apply it heavily around my eyes and on my lips. Moderation is key, just like how your face moderates natural oil production, too much will give you blackheads, but just enough will normalize your skin and protect it from sun damage and aging.

on 2/10/2015 1:00:00 PM

I love using olive oil as a moisturiser and make up remover. It cleans well and moisturises well leaving me with a glow when I'm up in the morning. It is my HG product!!! I gave it only 4 lippies as I don't like the smell.. even until now after so long I still can't quite get hold of it.

on 1/30/2015 10:10:00 PM

I've had such outstanding results I just had to write a review. I'm 31 and have acne which flares around ovulation. My skin is never clear. I have combo skin that's oiler in the summer, drier in winter. I always have at least a few inflamed blemishes in various stages of healing. I also have lots of post acne red marks that take months to disappear, as well as blackheads and noticeable clogged pores which give my skin a somewhat bumpy appearance up close. Even though I've been plagued with acne all my life, I've been lucky enough to have minimal scaring even though I'm a picker. I also get cystic acne on my jawline and underneath my chin when stressed. Those are the worst because they stay for weeks and weeks. Months sometimes. My routine for the past 2 weeks is wash with my soap of choice at night, use evoo straight on my face for moisture. I use a washcloth to exfoliate in the morning shower, then a generous coating of evoo all over. I let it sit for a few minutes then wipe off the excess. Around ovulation I'm used to breaking out every month and then trying to heal it until next time. This time, I did still get a couple of pimples but it was not the inflamed gross breakout it usually is! And the pimples were smaller and healed quicker than usual. The texture of my skin is smoother, and my skin feels more balanced and just better over all. I'm so amazed! Also, those clogged pores you can see when you very really close have been reducing and are so easy to extract now! I am theorizing that the oil has softened and opened otherwise closed pores allowing for more efficient exfoliation. Give it a shot!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I revisited extra virgin olive oil after watching videos on you tube. My skin gets flaky and dehydrated during the winter. Year round, I am oily and I struggle with mild adult acne that can become moderate at times as well as inflammation. I had a complete failure with olive oil years back when using it as a cleanser. The brand was Filippo Berio and it caused a ton of clogged pores and a breakout. I did some researching at acne.org and found that a lot of cheap commercial brands aren't 100 truthful with their claims. I can't say that I know that for a fact but all I know is that I never purchased that brand again. I now use a brand called Carozzi and it is a product of Chile. I use the Extra Virgin Olive Oil Intense one. It has less of that salad dressing smell and I love the flavor of this one better for food. A win win for me.

What I do: I use this more like a serum after my toner and before my moisturizer. I partially dampen a jumbo cotton ball with the oil and apply it all over the face. I massage it into the skin for about two minutes or so. I then top with my moisturizer. It is winter and very cold here so I've been doing this now for a week AM and PM and I have no clogged pores or breakouts from it. In fact, it makes my skin appear more clear and takes down the redness almost completely. Also, it is doing wonders for my makeup applicaton! Flakes are less of a problem now.

What I do for an acne flare up: Same routine except I mix the olive oil with a small amount of tea tree oil. Works great with overnight results!

What else you can do: Mix the olive oil with organic honey and apply it as a mask. Leave it on your face for an hour and rinse. Skin will be super soft and hydrated.

Video Reviews & Tutorials