December 19, 2014 | 1563 users online

Scrubs - Sugar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2014 4:16:00 AM More reviews by acciohashi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Everyone has sugar in their house, so it's always convenient to use as a scrub.

Sugars gentler than other substances but still gets the job done without damaging skin.

I suggest buffering with oil or honey so that it goes on more smoothly to skin. If you're using oils, I especially suggest ones with anti-inflammatory properties like soy oil, evening primrose oil, canola oil, ect.

Of course, you can't scrub acne away (or other skin problems, if that were true we would all have perfect skin because our first instinct is to pick at it), but you can loosen the oil on or near the surface and remove unsightly flakes.

I have a lot of oil build-up under my skin. It's drier now, so my skin is a lot less oily than usual. I'm also using Differin which is really clearing my skin, but it is also leaving flakes and more sensitive skin.

For this reason, I like using fine grained sugar and using the smallest amount and working my way up. It buffs away my flakes naturally and works well for my lips also.

Before Differin, when I had no flakes, this helped my more matte foundations apply better and also prepped my skin for certain unflattering lipsticks.

As I say with all DIYs, this is great for sleepovers. However, it's also great for everyday use.

I would say, give it a try, even if you have sensitive or problematic skin. Just make sure to use a buffer(or you'll be causing more problems) and start with the tiniest amount and don't use it too much every day. If you're doing it in the daytime, follow up with a liberal application of SPF.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2014 11:08:00 PM More reviews by itsmeiva

Did this for the first time last night and boy, it sure made my skin soft and supple!

Great exfoliator!

Due to lack of other ingredients, after washing my face with kojic soap, i scrubbed this all over my face without mixing it with anything. Just plain white sugar. It felt a bit harsh to scrub on the face so i was very very careful. After washing it off, there were 50% less bumps on my face. I have a lot of bumps because of clogged pores that usually become tiny pimples.

Overall, im so happy i tried this, and will do it on an every other day basis.

Will continue to update this review after a month of using this scrub ;)

rated 3 of 5 on 9/12/2014 7:45:00 PM More reviews by ranouuunounou

sugar + lemon = amazing scrub ♥ i really love to do this scrub once in a week

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2014 8:54:00 PM More reviews by dv_27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I found the cheapest scrub ever...oh yeahh!! Why didn't I do this before...mixed 1 teaspoon sugar to my Algenist cleanser and scrubbed away the all the gunk that's been accumulating on my skin forever. The end result was smooth skin. I am soo happy with results!
Next time I am planning to experiment this with some honey, milk, avocado oil..the possibilities are endless.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2014 10:46:00 PM More reviews by AgentMakeup007

I had some really annoying dry, scaly patches on my cheeks for a long time. They were caused by acne scarring and no matter what I did, I couldn't get the dead skin off my face! I tried Dead Sea Cosmetics chemical peel, I tried moisturizing them to death, I tried using face cleansing brushes, I tried everything! I was desperate so I took a spoonfull of white sugar, mixed it with 100% virgin olive oil and started scrubbing my face in the shower with it. I was scared by both the gritty texture and how sticky oily my face felt when I rinsed it off. I then washed my face with a hand made almond oil soap and voilá! My face is now super soft, bright, moisturized and dry skin free!

Do recommend! Just don't use this exfoliating method every day! It will harm your skin!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by Lossea

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Just like strawberrymelons below said, olive oil, honey, and sugar. It is exactly what I use, and am so happy with it. I mixed the ingredients in an old Burt's Bees glass cream jar, and it looks so simple and pretty in the cabinet, but that's beside the point. I do think that it's a nice feeling to make your own little scrub for so cheap and also reuse a pretty makeup jar.
Because this scrub is fairly rough for my face, I usually only use it to exfoliate lips, but do exfoliate nose sometimes. It can be used on the body as well, of course, but I haven't made a batch. Sugar in a scrub works a lot better for me than salt, because salt melts a lot faster and also gives redness, while sugar gives no redness and doesn't melt as quickly, which helps. Skin is always left so smooth. Yay!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2013 6:47:00 PM More reviews by strawberrymelons

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Olive oil, honey and sugar is the best thing that has ever happened to my skin.

My skin can get pretty dry during the winter months and no matter what moisturizer I use, the dryness is accentuated by foundation on my nose and forehead (where I don't even put foundation on anymore because of that). I have to admit, I was never the one to make DIY's because I'm lazy and would rather buy something that already comes in a bottle and smells good. BUT one day, when nothing seemed to solve the problem, I decided to make this and OMG my skin feels like a baby's bum and when I apply foundation on in the morning it goes on smoothly without accentuating any dryness. Not to mention it's cheap and you don't even have to go out to buy any of it because you most definitely and probably have it sitting in your house somewhere, right now, as you're reading this :).

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 9:05:00 PM More reviews by hayleyelwick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

SON OF A BATCH OF COOKIES THIS STUFF IS MAGNIFICENT.

Not only because you can use it for exfoliation, but also because you can literally use it in a batch of cookies. So pun intended.

Mixed with olive oil- great body scrub

Mixed with your favorite dish soap- great hand scrub/hand wash

Mixed with butter, oil, eggs, flour, and a dash of vanilla- great batch of cookies.

You most likely already own sugar and oil. Just mix up a bowl full of wonderful, scrub your body with it in the shower, and feel your skin. It will be as soft as 50 ply Charmin ultra. That is, if they made such a thing.

Just try it, it's worth the shot. Don't be a silly goose people.

40 out of 42 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2013 7:39:00 PM More reviews by heleno451

I've had great results using sugar as a body scrub. It makes my skin soft and you can't beat the price! Depending on your skin type it might be too harsh to use on your face though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2013 11:05:00 AM More reviews by icarle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My skin is quite oily, i use it three times a week (my skin is not sensitive) i use plain old white sugar mixed with honey and use a little bit of water before scrubbing. AMAZING! Why on earth would i ever purchase something that i can make myself in two seconds???
Great great discovery.