Sugar

Sugar

on 5/15/2015 7:39:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Tried this for the first time last night after reading through some of the reviews on here and my god..I am definitely impressed!! My skin feels so smooth and soft and completely refreshed! I have tried many different face scrubs and exfoliators but always tend to find that the actual exfolating balls (if you will) are so small and tiny that they're not helping much with removing dead skin and/or cleaning the pores thoroughly, but the hard texture of the sugar granules meant that this worked fantastic!!

Simply add a generous amount to any shower gel / soap / scrub / exfoliator and rub it in circular motions on the face. I repeated this again once I had washed the soap off and used just sugar this time, which made my skin feel super soft!

You can also create 'home made exfoliators' which involve adding the sugar with oil, which will leave the skin completely moisturized and refreshed.

on 5/4/2015 4:34:00 PM

Makes my skin real soft :)

on 4/16/2015 3:26:00 AM

Two parts sugar, one part oil. I use white sugar and coconut oil. Classic and perfect.

on 4/15/2015 8:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is THE BEST exfoliator I have created in my whole life!! Lol It's cheap and effective. For my face I mix honey and sugar, and it leaves my skin super soft!! For my lips and body, I use a mix of oils (olive and coconut) and sugar. I totally recommend it if you are all out of exfoliants (or if you wanna go au naturalle). By the way, it doesn't break you out (unless you rub too hard).

on 3/10/2015 1:35:00 AM

Mix sugar and coconut oil in your hand and rub over your lips for a quick lip Exfoliater. Also mix sugar peppermint oil and coconut oil for a cooling, moisturizing body scrub

Sugar, olive oil and honey. You can change the oils around and use rosehip or coconut or whatever. Sugar is probably the best exfoliant as it scrubs skin and removes dead skin cells which cleansing doesn't do. The first couple of times I used this exfoliator it left my skin so soft. After a while my skin has improved. It costs nothing, takes less than 2 mins to make and you get great results!

on 1/1/2015 1:34:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'm really surprised I like this as an exfoliant. I had only used this once prior to last night and was not impressed at all but now I'm hooked on this! And I think it all has to do with my application and how I used it compared to many of the other reviewers on here. Last night I decided to mix some of this with some olive oil and apply it to my face. The current condition of my face right now is very dry and flaky since I just had a massive chem peel done last week and now my face is still peeling and feels very taut and dry. But my skin has been itchy and dry and tbh, I want the flakes gone. So last night I put sugar and olive oil in 2 separate containers and took them to the shower with me. I poured a generous amount of sugar in my hands and then dribbled olive oil on top, mixed it around and scrubbed my face with it. It felt so good! My face was moisturized, slightly smoother and it felt like it alleviated some of the itchiness I was feeling. I don't recommend exfoliating right after a chemical peel like I did; you're suppose to let your skin do its own thing and slough the flaking skin off on its own but I know my own skin well enough to know I'd be ok with some exfoliation. Mixing sugar with olive oil has been such a wonderful addition to my skincare routine cause I can kill 2 birds with one stone: exfoliate and moisturize. My skin was moisturized, looked dewy and healthy, very pink like a baby's face. I looked so radiant when I looked in the mirror after my shower. Of course this beautiful look could be attributed to my chem peel.
I also learned it seems to be very beneficial to moisturize my face in the shower before I get out that way my moisturizer can sink in faster and easier so by the time I'm done with brushing my teeth and putting product in my hair I can start doing my makeup and don't have to worry about wasting time waiting for my moisturizer to sink in.
I was a huge fan of the exfoliating benefits of baking soda but this is a great discovery for me cause I really love coarser exfoliators; it just feels like they get more deep down into my skin. The only reason I hated sugar at first was cause it dissolved so quick that it didn't get a chance to do much in the way of exfoliating, that is until I decided to mix it with olive oil.
I didn't wash off the olive oil residue with soap, I just took my hands and rubbed warm water on my face and neck and that helps take away some of the greasy feeling while leaving enough of the oil to sink in.
So if you're dry and flaky but still wanting exfoliation I highly recommend mixing white sugar with an oil of your choice!

on 12/24/2014 4:20:00 AM

I used to use sugar as a scrub (mixed with honey). My skin never looked better! No acne, smaller pores, and it glowed! I didn't even need to wear foundation every day. I was so happy...until I got ants. Ants EVERYWHERE. In the tub, in the sink, everywhere. No matter how careful I was, no matter if I rinsed the tub or sink after use, the ants persisted. So I stopped. Sadly. My skin went back to lackluster, but the ants disappeared. I thought I'd never be able to use it again. Until...I devised a way around the system. I now add a pack of sugar to 3 oz of aloe vera gel. I shake it up and let the sugar dissolve, then use it before my night cream as a serum/light moisturizer. I also add a pack to my facial cleanser. My skin is once again on the road to recovery, and most blessed of all, NO ANTS. If you have ant problems and can't use sugar like everyone else, try the aloe serum idea. It's less likely to bring ants because it doesn't get in the tub or sink, and even if it did, there's not much sugar compared to the gel, so it probably could be rinsed off w/o alerting every ant in the neighborhood. Good luck! :)

on 12/8/2014 4:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Everyone has sugar in their house, so it's always convenient to use as a scrub.

Sugars gentler than other substances but still gets the job done without damaging skin.

I suggest buffering with oil or honey so that it goes on more smoothly to skin. If you're using oils, I especially suggest ones with anti-inflammatory properties like soy oil, evening primrose oil, canola oil, ect.

Of course, you can't scrub acne away (or other skin problems, if that were true we would all have perfect skin because our first instinct is to pick at it), but you can loosen the oil on or near the surface and remove unsightly flakes.

I have a lot of oil build-up under my skin. It's drier now, so my skin is a lot less oily than usual. I'm also using Differin which is really clearing my skin, but it is also leaving flakes and more sensitive skin.

For this reason, I like using fine grained sugar and using the smallest amount and working my way up. It buffs away my flakes naturally and works well for my lips also.

Before Differin, when I had no flakes, this helped my more matte foundations apply better and also prepped my skin for certain unflattering lipsticks.

As I say with all DIYs, this is great for sleepovers. However, it's also great for everyday use.

I would say, give it a try, even if you have sensitive or problematic skin. Just make sure to use a buffer(or you'll be causing more problems) and start with the tiniest amount and don't use it too much every day. If you're doing it in the daytime, follow up with a liberal application of SPF.

on 12/7/2014 11:08:00 PM

Did this for the first time last night and boy, it sure made my skin soft and supple!

Great exfoliator!

Due to lack of other ingredients, after washing my face with kojic soap, i scrubbed this all over my face without mixing it with anything. Just plain white sugar. It felt a bit harsh to scrub on the face so i was very very careful. After washing it off, there were 50% less bumps on my face. I have a lot of bumps because of clogged pores that usually become tiny pimples.

Overall, im so happy i tried this, and will do it on an every other day basis.

Will continue to update this review after a month of using this scrub ;)

Popular Scrubs