Tom's of Maine Natural Deodorant

2.6

Not tested on animals
Tom's of Maine is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 2/18/2015 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Notice that this product is a deodorant, not an antiperspirant!!! After a decade of using antiperspirants, I finally realized that I am likely allergic to aluminum. The moment I put those on, my armpits started sweating. So much, that I thought I must have a medical problem. Until I realized that I only sweated in the armpit area. I would wear three layers of shirts, and have the outer one completely soaked under my arms, within an hour. It was extremely embarrassing, as you can all imagine. So, I figured that since I'm gonna sweat, might as well slow down on the antiperspirant business, and try a simple deodorant. And I was recommended this one. And I haven't looked back since. I've been repurchasing these for the last 3 years. I couldn't believe my armpits: I was BARELY sweating anymore!! And not only that, but it didn't smell bad. I used the unscented one, and spray some of my perfume on top, as I can't stand deo/antipersp scents. On hot summer days, I attempt to wear proper antiperspirants, and find myself sweating fifty-fold the amount that I would sweat when using Tom's. Basically, if you can't find a single functional antiperspirant, consider giving this one a try. I almost forgot what it was like to wear paper towel padding under my armpits, and I hadn't worn colors in years, cause it made moisture too visible.

on 1/31/2015 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Okay but how is this a 'deodorant' when it just makes your armpits wet

I really wanted to like this product because it's aluminum-free and natural, but it was way too slippery and the one I tried didn't seem to accomplish anything. Price was reasonable I guess, but was it really reasonable when the product does nothing? These are questions we need to ask ourselves.

Hair: Black, Kinky, Other

I like that there's no aluminum

on 12/6/2014 3:15:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

Wow, Tom's natural deodorant is evil!! If I could give Tom's natural deodorant 0 lippies I would. I first started with the 24hr naturally dry and these icky grey-ish yellow stains in the underarms of all my tops, even after the wash. Also I noticed the naturally dry still contained aluminum. (Which the first time around I purchased by mistake)
Next, I went and picked up the lavender scented aluminum free one and my nightmare really began. I used it for about two weeks without incident. This evening I took a shower following my normal underarm shaving routine. When I was done showering and dried off I noticed under my one arm was scaly red itchy patches- ouch! Worse, I lift up my other arm to find gross looking discolored brown patches!!! I've never had any reaction to any product like this in my whole life, EvER! Sorry for yelling, but I'm freaking out.
Figures, the one time I trust a product and don't do my research on reviews I get a crap bomb like this. How am I going to get rid of these brown spots under one arm? I'm losing it. Do yourself a favor, don't buy this!

on 10/14/2014 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I use this because I have intense allergies with most deodorants. The rashes started years ago, and I have had to switch brands numerous times. First Mitchum, then Arm & Hammer, then Dove for a long time. Dove either changed an ingredient or did something funky with the fragrance, because I suddenly noticed a large lump on my left arm. I also had a big red irritation on the skin of the same armpit. Eventually, the same thing happened under my right arm, and I suspected it was the Dove. I quit using deodorant and switched to baby powder for protection, but that didn't work out too well in the "odor department." (However, it DID clear up the rash and the lump.) Good thing it was winter time. ;-) When spring came, I knew I had to find something more potent, so I bought Tom's. I bought the unscented version, and even though it doesn't stop the smell of sweat from breaking thru on a warm day, it doesn't cause me any problems with my sensitive skin. So for me, it's a keeper.

EDIT 11-23-14: Changed my mind about this. This does not work at all as a deodorant. I smell just as bad as if I didn't use anything, so why bother? Changed to Arm & Hammer with much success.

on 10/6/2014 12:28:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I've used Tom's of Maine for years and it does work for me, but I don't have a lot of trouble with bad body odor, so I think chemistry is important with things like this. It is NOT an antiperspirant. Anyway, it works fine for me. I prefer the Honeysuckle Rose scent best: it doesn't actually smell like Honeysuckle or Rose on me, but instead it's a faint, light herbal scent that keeps me from stinking as the day wears on. In muggy, wet hot weather, it is less effective, true, but I wear antiperspirant on days like that. I've given it four stars because I like how it works on me, but I admit that other reviewers are not wrong in that it is not entirely effective if you need a strong deodorant.

on 8/30/2014 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I can't believe they call themselves a "deodorant' when the product does absolutely NOTHING to combat odour. I switched because my old deodorant contained a lot of alcohol, chemicals, etc. and turned my underarms into a dark color, but after switching to Tom's, I'm CONSTANTLY smelly.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

First off, I bought this product because I've heard about the adverse affects of aluminum, so I decided to try Toms aluminum free deodorant in apricot. I was visiting family in Mississippi for a few days while using it, and I noticed that I needed to reapply often. Kind of embarrassing! I figured I was having to reapply so often due to the unbearable humidity. I have recently returned home, New Mexico, where it is much drier and STILL I need to reapply 2 and 3 times a day! I smell after just a few hours of just hanging out and on top of that the smell is pretty bad to the point where I have to wash my underarms before reapplying. The last straw was when I noticed my underarms peeling, burning, and reddened! I'm pretty disappointed in this product and considering the other reviews that have had similar experiences i wouldn't recommend it.

on 6/30/2014 11:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have the toms unscented deodorant and i actually it works better than any anti-perspirant ive used with aluminum like i dont sweat at all and i just got this product during summer so I think ive found a product that ill be using for years

on 5/26/2014 3:56:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have the unscented version of this, and it works really well for me. I'm pretty surprised by the bad reviews! I don't sweat very much at all, but sometimes I definitely do get smelly and need a little help in that department. I apply this immediately after I dry off after a shower, which I think is important. It keeps the smell at bay even when it's hot and humid. Doesn't irritate my pits. I don't use it every day so I won't run out for quite a while, but I would repurchase.

Top Rated Tom's of Maine Products