Estee Lauder Beautiful

3.4

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

To sweet sweet sweet. Not beautiful at all. Strong stays with you all day 80s kind of stink.

A grand, ballsy floral chypre with an unmistakable signature. Although this fragrance was everywhere in the '80s, it didn't fit my teen aesthetic at the time. I associated Beautiful with mainstream career women, in their jewel-toned herringbone power suits, Anne Klein doorknocker earrings, and pouffy hairstyles. I mean, even the packaging-- heavy, fluted-gold purse atomizers-- just said "mature."

But, now that I am "mature," at least in age, I find that I really like Beautiful, though I don't instinctively gravitate toward it. I've gotten two mini bottles off eBay, dating from the '80s and '90s. [They are easy to find and pretty cheap, BTW.] The current formulation, I've found, smells muted and confused-- clearly, the lack of available oakmoss has hurt this perfume right in the jugular.

The vintage juice is intricately composed and has a lot going on; there is the initial acetone-like sting common to strong chypres, but it passes soon enough, leaving a warm, deep trail of fully blossomed flowers. I can sense the marigold, but otherwise the bouquet is so complex that it is simply the "Beautiful signature," rather than a bunch of flowers you can pick out. At the end you get a wallop of oakmoss, lending a rich, earthy feel to the fragrance. This is indeed a beautiful scent if dabbed judiciously. Its sillage is quite delicious, in the heady way only vintage perfumes can be. Beautiful is never dirty or indolic, but it is deep and rich. Not for kids.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I bought this bottle without smelling it because I'd heard that it's great for year round. I am not a fan of this fragrance. It reminds me of a spring garden that's been sprayed with bug spray. I'm passing this along to my mother and I hope it works better with her chemistry. Will not repurchase.

I've had my supply of Beautiful for a few years now. Initially I wouldn't touch it because there was a not that came off as "old lady" to me. My nose has since been extensively educates, & I can actually pick out individual fragrance notes much more easily with actually knowing what they are. The note that I don't care for is the amber. Matter of factly, I don't really care for commercial amber notes in general. I prefer amber notes in fragrances made by niche perfume houses such as Love Potion Perfume. Even though the formula for Beautiful comes off a bit dated, it's still lovely when the amber calms down. The scent has excellent sillage & you do get a good value for your money. 1 spray of of this is plenty & the bottle I won is 3.4 oz, which is why I said I wouldn't buy this again, I already have a lifetime supply!

Edit: I am revisiting my vintage miniature of the EdP. A dab is still a powerhouse. On my skin chemistry, it now evokes a scent memory of Chamade with galbanum, hyacinth and spicy carnation that morphs into Jasmine, tuberose and wood. Added a lippie, but only for vintage, not current reformulation.

--------

I have two miniatures: a molded flat glass flask with a white rose plastic stopper ( bottle picture is similar to the photo on the Fragrantica site and ingredients are SD Alcohol 39C, Beautiful perfume, purified water); and, a later miniature rectangular flask. The older glass bottle with stopper contains fragrance that is less harsh. This is a classic 1980s floral that has sillage and projects. Dab sparingly, don't spray. My recollection is Beautiful includes accords of rose, mandarin, LOTV, tuberose, jasmine, ylang, marigold, and many other florals, frankincense, myrrh, sandalwood, vetiver.

For the imminently reasonable price and availability on line, it satisfies the rare occasion when I want a soft, well blended aldehydic floral wood that is not too green or animalic, like Amouage Gold (more lush, but exponentially more expensive), vintage Chant d'Aromes extrait (more warm soft green tone), or vintage Chanel 5 EdC or the more sparkling Chanel 22 (I find chanel 5 aldehydes are sharp and the animalic quality sometimes gets in the way when I want a mixed floral, but I am not a fan of Chanel 5 in general).

Twenty years ago, I would have told you "there was nothing as beautiful as Beautiful!"....Recently I decided to give it another try- and could almost not stand the smell. I can't wondered if my bottle had gone rancid.
Yet a student complimented that I smelled so good...
Then while at the mall, I smelled the sample- exactly the same as my old bottle...
So I think my nose is outta whack!
I would not buy this because to me it smells unpleasant now- but I think I will wear ole bottle now and then.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A classic EL fragrance that has been around for years. Can be strong - so use with care. Great for a gift.

This reminds me of my mom. This has been her signature fragrance for over 20 years. I love you mama!!

The smell is so soft.. Floral and baby-like..Love it..

I love this, it's a nice floral scent on me. I've had the same bottle forever, it's strong enough that one or two sprays are enough to go all day. A lot of floral perfumes tend to smell god awful on me, so I tested this expecting the worst. It's heavenly, one of my top 5!

Popular Fragrances