August 20, 2014 | 1894 users online

Pressed Powders - MAC - Blot Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2014 12:12:00 PM More reviews by Amslater

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I read a review saying this powder was "ashy" and didn't work on warm skin tones. I don't find that at all. It blends very nicely with my makeup and skin and doesn't look white or cakey at all. That being said, i don't use a lot of it since I use an oil-control matttifier under makeup and don't get a lot of oil throughout the day. I only blot maybe once throughout the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2014 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Merryweather

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Only 5 stars i can give but i would love te have given this product a 6/7 star rating because i love it!This was my final "got to try"product after using tons of other products to keep my horrible shiny face under control!I,m 52 and i have extreme oily skin for about a year now and ik have tried lot,s and lot,s of stuff from cheap to high end products and nothing worked for me.Then last week i came across some reviews for this powder and they were pretty good so i deceided to buy this.I received it last saturday and instantly tried it out and.......WOW........awesome result and very long lasting result too.I do not have to touch up before the evening and that's only when i have to go out at night when i would do that.I,m a medium skintone and i bought the dark,wich is absolutely perfect for me.It does not add color to your face but simply ajusts tot your skintone.I use a powder brush and not the buff that comes with the powder For sure i wil keep on using this for ever and ever and ever :-) M.A.C should never,ever discontinue this awesome stuff!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2014 5:34:00 AM More reviews by theartyard

This used to be my go-to product for my oily skin but now I've stopped using it because I've found better products.

Pros:
-Absorbs oil
-Doesn't add colour to the skin, looks relatively natural

Cons:
- It absorbs oil but it has almost zero-control in preventing the skin from becoming oily later on. When the oil seeps back again, you have to reapply which I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't make the skin look dry and cakey.
- It doesn't get rid of that 'sticky' feeling on the skin from use of previous products
- Packaging: ok this one may be my fault but I feel the compact isn't sturdy enough. I dropped the blot powder in the past before and the block of powder inside broke into pieces to the point where I couldn't use it and had to repurchase.
-The puff it comes with is useless.
- Doesn't do anything else for the skin, which wasn't an issue for me until I started using innisfree powder and realised how the Innisfree powder was overall a much better product (absorbs excess oil more effectively, makes my skin look and feel softer, less shiny and the puff it comes with applies the powder really well)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2014 7:44:00 AM More reviews by rosieflower

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love it! Why did I wait so long to try this??? After googling 'best powder for very oily skin', this seemed to be the consensus, so I nipped into MAC and picked one up.

Was a little scared by the colours - I would never consider myself to have a dark skintone, let alone the darkest shade available! I have more a mid-light pink undertoned skin but nevertheless as summer was coming up I went for the darkest shade as I didn't wanna have that ghostly powdery look. So yeah I bought this in shade 'Dark'. And it doesn't add any colour to my skin at all!! So I could recommend going a shade darker if you are unsure.

I brush this on after my foundation in the morning then add a little powder highlighter/ bronzer and as said it doesn't affect the colour. As my skin gets oilier throughout the day this doesn't collect in little pools on my nose/ forehead/ cheeks like some cheaper/ less finely milled powders do.

And a big plus for me: you can repowder on top of this, or rebuff a little foundation in and then powder over the top, without messing up the texture of your makeup or looking cakey. This is the biggest difference and the best thing about this powder to me! I guess because it's so finely milled is what makes this possible.

Furthermore, another quality of how fine it is is that it doesn't seem to add a layer to your foundation when you apply it in the morning, it just gently mattifies your foundation, unlike some other powders (e.g. for me recently Lancome's Poudre Majeur Excellence and various cheaper drugstore powders) which feel and look kind of like you've caked your face with flour lol.

Long-stay/ oil control properties:

As far as oil control goes, this does NOT have super long lasting powers for me! But bear in mind I do have extremely oily skin. And lately I have been using a lightweight foundation which is not long stay thus also doesn't have amazing oil control properties (Guerlain Lingerie de Peau - adore it). I have to top it up roughly every four or five hours, but as I have said, the best thing about this powder is that it doesn't look horrible or cakey when you reapply it, so to me it is totally worth it

I'm a huge fan and think it's the best powder I've ever tried. I've used this for about a month now and can say that I will be instantly rebuying as soon as I run out. Would definitely recommend for oily-skinned girls. Thanks for reading and good luck!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2014 7:35:00 AM More reviews by darthodis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Simply the greatest blotting powder I have ever used. I think getting the right shade for your skintone is key when it comes to this product. I use this in the moring over my Foundation/under my bronzer, and once again to blot mid-day and it keeps the shine away :)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/13/2014 7:07:00 AM More reviews by Sarahtiel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Iím on some pretty heavy duty medication to counteract a rare endocrine disorder and it has taken my skin from combination/oily to RIDICULOUSLY oily (for example, when makeup free on a cool, non-humid day, within about half an hour of washing and applying a light moisturiser Ė my skin can be so oily it looks and feels wet Ė even on my cheeks).

This product doesnít work miracles but it definitely helps a great deal. It probably only keeps me matte for about an hour on a bad day (even though I use the famed Hourglass mineral veil primer), but the biggest benefit is that itís really easy to reapply (though I use a kabuki brush and not the pad provided) and doesnít build up and go cakey. I have very pale, pink-toned skin and the light shade is almost white and goes on translucent, whenever Iíve tried other so-called Ďtranslucentí powders the colour has gradually built up on me with reapplication and looked orange or yellow.

Ironically, despite my greasiness, I also sometimes get flakiness on my skin at the same time because of acne treatment, and my endocrine medication has caused me to develop an increased amount of fine, downy Ďpeach-fuzzí hair on my face. As long as I donít over-apply to a ridiculous extend, I donít have too much problem with this powder clinging to the hair or flakes and emphasising them, another problem Iíve had with other products. It also works quite well on its own to reduce shine (just over a primer or on bare skin, but no foundation) and gives a nice finish, though it wonít provide much if any coverage.

Though I wish this product worked better (in terms of staying power - and for this I've knocked off two lippies), Iím very glad I bought it because it means that when I look in the mirror to see a greasy mess, I can actually do something about it without worrying Iím going to make it look worse. The clear and generously sized mirror in the compact is also very useful for this purpose. I'd love a powder that goes on the same but lasts for several hours, but I'm not convinced that would be realistic from any powder with my skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2014 2:14:00 AM More reviews by xmaac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this powder based on the reviews that I have read here and decided I must have it, I have been using this for a while now and to be honest its nothing special, it does make your face appear more matte but I don't think its great at controlling oil and shine, which is what I hoped this product would help me with. It comes off no colour so it wont change your foundation colour or anything which is a plus. I will continue to use it until I run out, but I probably wont be repurchasing this and I'll continue to look for my HG powder

rated 1 of 5 on 6/24/2014 11:07:00 PM More reviews by plumpkinplush

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Pros:
++No color

Cons:
--Effect does not last long. One hour at most on me.
--Product shattered on me. I left it in my bag and maybe due to placing my bag down? Haven't dropped it.
--Price. Expensive!
--Ashy. Ladies with yellow undertones beware.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2014 10:13:00 PM More reviews by farahana

The MAC Blot Powder does reduce my shininess and oiliness and I think my makeup last better and my Mineralized Skinfinish Natural work better with this powder. This combination gave me a natural glow with reduced shine.You definitely don't need much and currently I don't wear it as much as before. I used to dust it like crazy before when it's actually not necessary, but I learned now.

Generally, I think my skin is less oily than it used to be, even in the summer or when I'm back in hot tropical climate. I still use this but more sparingly and really that's enough.

I have not got any bad reaction from this and I trust this product. Though this product is a simple science of being heavy with MICA and SILICA which absorbed the oil, as MAC has clearly claimed. So those who obviously have problem with these ingredients, just stay away or use it to your own risk.
When I had issue with flaky dry skin I would avoid using this or just use this on tip of my nose *because oily nose tip is never flattering* as I think it's unnecessary. I wouldn't say this powder worsen it though.

One thing I notice, when comparing Medium Dark Blot Powder with the one from Mineralized Skinfinish Natural, it's lighter in shade. So it does not really matches my skin tone and I'm annoyed as it does give off a bit of ashyness after I got the 'perfect' second skin look with my Mineralized Skinfinish Natural. Nevertheless, it is light in texture so it doesn't affect much. Probably if I get my exact shade it looks better? or better, if it's a translucent instead.

The compact is fine, come with a mirror and the price is MAC standard, £20.00.
It last long as you don't need to use much so it's worth the spend.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/10/2014 3:41:00 AM More reviews by vanessa2009

I have had this for two years. I first bought the MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Medium Plus, but I found I got oily by lunch time in my high school year. So I decided to try out the blot powder. Does it work? Yes. I dust this on my face and the oil is GONE. But I also find that it makes my face really cakey after I apply this, so I prefer to just remove my foundation entirely and redo it than use this powder.