October 24, 2014 | 1884 users online

Powder - Aveda - Inner Light Dual Foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2014 6:57:00 PM More reviews by pinkviolet89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Like the review below I also experienced a reaction to this powder foundation. It initially gives a very smooth demi-matte finish with good coverage (medium easily built up to full) but after a few hours I'd notice the product breaking down on my t-zone leaving an unflattering shine. In contrast my cheeks and chin appeared flaky and dry. One week of wear caused me to develop allergic contact dermatitis, which can look similar to acne but must be treated entirely differently. I was lucky as it cleared up in a few days after discontinuing use and did not require further treatment. I know everyone will react differently to products but I do think sensitive skins should proceed with caution. This powder has a very strong fragrance, with a prominent lavender note (amongst other essential oils), which I attribute to the irritation I experienced.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/26/2014 10:02:00 PM More reviews by fabiolamartinez41

I really wanted to love this makeup bc all of the great reviews out there. The first couple days, I really thought I found my holy grail foundation. Then I broke out in a rash on my cheeks. It was acne but not really acne. If that makes sense. I then went online and I couldn't find anything that would make breakout in the ingredient list. Then I pulled the actual packaging and it listed fragrance. Online it only listed the items they claim beneficial to your skin and not the full ingredients. I will discontinue use for 2 weeks and see if my acne rash goes away and update.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 4:43:00 PM More reviews by ladycatcat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This foundation is the best for my oily skin. It gives me full coverage when applied with the AVEDA Inner Light Foundation. And it's the perfect shade for me. I've had a hard time finding a match with other brands. I'm always in between but #7 Almond is perfect for me! And I love the Eco-friendly compacts the powders snap into! Love love!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by htrammell1983

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I don't write many reviews, but this stuff is amazing! I have been using this foundation for years and it has never caused my face to break out. I like the way that it blends naturally with my skin tone and the way it smells. I'm also an Aveda junky :)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2013 2:58:00 PM More reviews by LSUgirl99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have very sensitive, fair skin with pink undertones and have used this powder foundation for years. It is the only foundation that does not break me out or make my skin itch like crazy. I wear the lightest shade (01 cream)-it is creamy ivory that blends perfectly into my skintone. I use both a sponge and a brush to apply (if you use just a sponge it is very full coverage-as in you will be amazed at how full coverage it is)-so I use the sponge for areas where I need more coverage and then lightly buff the rest of my face. Within a few hours-my skin will get slightly oily (which is why i gave it only 4 lippies) but it's not an all out oil slick. I was sick of wasting money on foundations that made my skin go haywire, oxidized, didn't cover and did nothing to control my oily skin. This is my HG foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2013 7:57:00 PM More reviews by cassandradawn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was using laura mercier foundation powder before and it gives a good coverage but you can feel it's very cakey. After i finished that I try to search a good foundation powder and eventually I saw alot people gave alot good review about aveda inner light foundation and I am really surprise as I never know they have cosmetic line as well! so I bought it from a salon and start using it, I am very happy with it. It gives a full coverage (if you use it dry), and you won't feel any cakey or heavy wearing it, and I feel fresh. The price is not expensive as well. So i will definitely buy it again after i finish. by the way, i also bought the blusher and i love it! they have really good quality without giving you cakey or heavy look, just nature and smooth. I love it. only the cons is the package, it comes with a plastic kind of 'box' you need to buy a compact if you needed, but actually without buying extra compact , it's actually working with the plastic box as well. As you know aveda always promote recycle packaging, and actually I don't really care about the packaging anymore as the quality is really good. hope aveda would promote more of their cosmetic line. and please don't discontinue this!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2013 12:00:00 PM More reviews by NShoreD

I'm someone who considered being 'made up' for work wearing mascara and sometimes lip gloss until I was in my 40s, and still I'm a minimalist, and hate feeling 'made up.' This has great coverage and applies evenly, and doesn't get stuck in creases like other mineral-based powders. It evens out my complexion, but it looks and feels really natural. It last almost all day, but I don't reapply it--I'm all for the 5 minute face, and then forget it. It just fades and still looks ok.

I wound up switching to this because I have sensitive skin and so many other products would make me break out into a rash--dermatitis. (So far, Aveda and M.A.C. are what work for me.)

I'm someone who won't spend $$ on cosmetics unless it seems worth it to me. When I had to buy the compact and this, it was initially painful, but I like being able to reuse the compact and it's really practical.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 10:34:00 AM More reviews by cubbiejules

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm in LOVE with this foundation!!!

I have a friend who works at an Aveda salon and her skin always looks so fresh and flawless. I asked her what she uses and I was amazed that she said Aveda, I never knew Aveda had makeup! I asked her to get me 2 colors (I use #5 when I'm not-so tan, and #7 when I am lol) and they both work flawlessly. I used to use Bare Minerals for the longest time, but got so frustrated when it would slide and just fade away a couple hours into my day. Not this mineral makeup! Like other reviewers said, it can get a tad shiny by the end of the day, but a quick dab into your palette and you're done.
The sponge gives you the fullest coverage, a brush gives you bendable, medium coverage, and wet the powder for more dewy, light coverage. Use it with a concealer and it covers so beautifully. I find that I don't need a primer with this which is huge. It makes my skin feel really soft and airbrushed-looking.
Only downside is if you have any flakiness, obviously a powder will make that show. You can still use it with a regular foundation or tinted moisturizer if you have dry skin, and bonus, you'll get even fuller coverage! Overall, I love this stuff. Good for your skin, earth-friendly packaging, and great staying-power. What could be better??

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2013 9:25:00 PM More reviews by enydonus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Coverage: Medium - Full. This is what I know I can rely on when I'm breaking out, i.e. the past couple weeks of skin hell.

Application: The sponge can leave lines/streaks so I use a dense angled face brush to apply this to the high points of my face (mid forehead, down nose, sides of nose to upper cheekbones, above the lips, and lightly on the chin) after I've applied liquid concealer to circles and around nostrils, then use a very small dense pencil brush to conceal blemishes completely with this powder. The result is very natural and fresh regardless of how hagard looking I was previously. Super fast to do, which is great because if I'm worn out, exhausted, breaking out, and in pain, I definitely don't want to be standing in front of a mirror looking at myself to pile on makeup for 30+ min. Bonus: my skin is visibly healing.

Wear: 4-5 hours. Amazingly doesn't settle into lines! !!! It gets a little shiny and starts to go a little sheer but that's all. Unlike other higher end powder foundations I've use, this one doesn't become discoball shiny, doesn't start to itch, and doesn't slide or feel gross. Easily fixed with a blot and light reapplication. It still looked pretty good after a long day at the hospital followed by a workout followed by a run. Fixed it within a few seconds before dinner. It does last longer and stays more satin-matte if set with a finishing powder.

Prep: If you're still worried about pores and lines you could use a primer but honestly it's not necessary. Just about everything settles into my fine lines but this doesn't. I find this works well over a light moisturizer. A heavy moisturizer would cause it to break down and go shiny faster.

Amount: I've owned this foundation for a little over a year and am still on the same pan (I don't wear makeup every day, aside from lip balm and mascara). The price isn't bad at all considering the only comparable powder foundations are Fresh Face Luster, Laura Mercier Mineral Foundation, and Dolce & Gabbana powder foundation, which are all roughly double what this costs.

Flash photography: Nope. Ghost face. Use a liquid or cream without SPF. This is definitely more of a natural every day, day-time foundation.

Packaging: I LOVE refillable packaging! If only more companies did it I'd have a lot less gorgeous compacts and rose gold tubes laying around. It's so annoying to run out of a great product and have to rebuy the entire thing, packaging and all. Definitely appreciative of being able to buy the product alone sans expensive compact.

Colour selection: Meh. It does range from very pale to somewhat dark but .... the fair shades lean somewhat pink. My skin tone ranges from NW15 up to NC25, right now I'm somewhere in between and still using 01Cream since Aster is a bit too pink. Hopefully when the summer hits I'll be able to use one of the darker neutral shades. If you have golden undertones, you may have to look at MAC, LM, Bobbi Brown, or Dolce & Gabbana for a decent match.

Ingredients: Amazing. Nice clean list of ingredients. My highly reactive skin is not sensitized further by this. No itching either from drying out. This is why I prefer it to all other powder and mineral foundations.

Overall this is a godsend for sensitive skin, fine lines and all, that's freaking out in all the colours of the rainbow.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No