Maybelline Expert Eyes - Vanilla

3.3

on 2/12/2015 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

A simple, quality eyeshadow from the drugstore. I'm light-skinned but with warm undertones and I love the way this looks in my inner-corners and browbone. I don't understand people who shell out $$$ for a light, shimmery shadow. It's so easy to find tons of shades like this at the drugstore. This gets the job done and won't break the bank.

on 1/21/2015 4:03:00 PM

I use this to highlight my inner corners and brow bone, I sometimes use it for my eyeshadow looks as well. It's very good for the price. Breaks easily though!

on 9/2/2014 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this a lot when I was a little younger. I loved to have a reverse liner look at times by using a pale color around my eyes. I'd apply this over a cream es in a light shade as well, more at the tear duct, then fade this towards a darker shade in the crease. The effect was lovely and really made my lashes stand out against the light, shimmery, back drop.
I liked it a lot and used it for the brightening effect.

I don't wear mascara all the time as I used to, due to dry eye issues, and so would not wear this alone. It's pretty, bright, and inexpensive, long lasting too. If you buy a white es that's still being made in its original formula which is to say not recent, shimmery shades like these will be frost-ier.It's a product of a certain era but in all areas makeup artists have used whites for a brightening effect. If you need a white with very subtle shimmer for highlight, look for one with a recent formulation.

on 9/2/2014 6:03:00 PM

This is a very pretty satin eyeshadow! Its white with some shimmer (not glittery). Its very pretty to wear over the lid and under the brow. I also really like how pigmented this is, I just use my finger to swipe it over my eyes, throw on some mascara/eyeliner and im good to go for my every day look. I was almost going to pick up MAC Avalanche but decided to try this first instead and Im glad I did because its so much cheaper!

Love it!!

on 4/30/2014 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I find the quality of this eye shadow to be very good, especially for a drugstore brand. The color is a soft white and it's very pretty.The only issue I have with it is how frosty it is. I was looking for an under brow highlight shadow with a little shimmer, and this one packs more shimmer than I expected. I have to apply it carefully, but other than that, it serves its purpose well.

on 6/19/2013 3:11:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is a really awesome highlighter. It lasts well with a primer and even as an eyeshadow it works nicely. It doesn't really crease, and it has good staying power. It's just great to have around!

on 5/15/2013 10:22:00 PM

I use this as a highlighter when I highlight and contour and it's PERFECT. I love it.

on 2/2/2013 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Vanilla is a White satin eye shadow.It goes under my eye brows,when i do a purple,pink,mauve,plum smokey eyes.it goes really well on the application,it last fairly long,it brings just enought light to the look! love it!

on 11/15/2012 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I know a lot of people have said they did not like this eyeshadow, but it's my go to and a favorite of mine that I use for my everyday look. I do think this eyeshadow is not for everyone- I would recommend it more for pale skinned girls like myself. I use this for both highlighting and as an overall eyeshadow for a nice, clean, wide awake and fresh look. It is a bit shimmery, but I like that (it's not as shimmery as my old eyeshadow from CG, "Snow Blossom", which in the end I disliked anyway). It's light, somewhat sheer (but can be layered), and it doesn't flake or crumble on me. I love using it in the corners of my eyes and around my dark circles as it hides them nicely. I did find that when I used this shadow with a primer, it is crease proof. However, when used without one, it will crease. I found this was easily fixed by either A) applying a thin layer over it again, or B) rubbing it smooth with a fingertip for a soft look. Either way, I actually really like this eyeshadow, both as a highlighter and eyeshadow. Recommended for pale/fair skinned girls.

on 4/15/2012 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I originally bought Earthly Taupe ages ago. I depotted all my shadows 'cause I hate packaging. I had it in a tin for ages before I realized it's one of the few I use a lot. It has a lot of pigment and lasts all day over eyeshadow primer. I was wanting other colors to wear and went back to Maybelline. I picked this up for an under the brow & in the corners shadow. It works perfect for that! I like how it looks and it seems to wear well (doesn't get cakey). Why there are negative reviews on this, I don't know. I do have to say I have the new ones (my number on it is 10S vanilla) and they're in the black packaging not the blue. So I'm not sure if that changes the formula or not.

4/14/14 update: I now use Wet N Wild Brulee. This product can be a bit chalky and has problems with color pay off. It's still a great eyeshadow for people starting off with makeup. All the Maybelline eyeshadows are.