December 22, 2014 | 1677 users online

Highlighters - Guerlain - Les Meteorites balls powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2014 1:26:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been wanting to indulge in this purchase for a long time but kept putting it off, partly because of the price and partly because I've more than enough high end luminizing/highlighting powders from MAC, Hourglass, Dior and, yes, even Guerlain. BUT...Shoppers Drug Mart had a bonus redemption offer this weekend, which meant I could basically get Meteorites for "free", so I was out the door first thing this morning to hit the SDM near me that carries Guerlain and I came home with this in shade 02. I've only had this for a few hours butI waited so long and I was so excited to get it that I couldn't wait to post a review. I'm really happy with this (and I'll update if that changes). I sort of regret buying Hourglass Ethereal Light a few weeks back (during Sephora's VIB event) because I think I much prefer the Meteorites. Admittedly, Hourglass's pressed powder is much better for travel or tossing into your bag to touch up before heading from work to dinner, but I find the effect from the Meteorites is more noticeable, while still being subtle (we're not talking tinsel and glitter here!). I do wish that it was possible to purchase "refill balls" because it seems a shame to toss the packaging, which is very easily re-usable. It might be nice if they'd knock 10 or 20 bucks off the price for a more cheaply packaged "refill" of the product.

A more calm update: it's been about 2 weeks and I just love this stuff! It gives the prettiest finish to my face and brightens my whole look. Now I wish I hadn't splashed out on all the Hourglass Ambient Light powders I have because I much prefer Meteorites. I'm surprised, to be honest - I didn't think I would find this to be worth the price or the hype but I am really loving this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2014 9:34:00 PM More reviews by dolce_1127

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this product. I have it in 02 Clair. It is very expensive, at $60 a pop, but it has 25g of product, while most other compact powders has only 10g. This means the meteorites will last you quite a while. I used to think this product is very gimmicky, but this year I finally made the decision to buy it because it's just so pretty. When you swatch it, it is very plain, kind of like a sheer white powder with a bit of shimmer. But once you put this one over your foundation, it kind of blurs everything away, and adds a hint of glow, which makes you look flawless. I tested this under sunlight as well, it is definitely not disco-ball action. Highly recommended. I have posted a video review, where I also compared it to the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light. Feel free to check it out!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2014 8:41:00 PM More reviews by MaiTai78

I really debated about putting out the $60 for this. I used Guerlain Terracota for many years and thought it was well worth the hefty price tag. So after reading many (mostly positive) reviews of Les Meteorites, I took the plunge with the 02 Clair. As soon as I got home, I tried it...and I was disappointed. It was late evening, I'd had a long day, and I just couldn't see what difference it made. But when I put it on the next morning, it was everything I wanted it to be!

Let me explain this - I like to look very natural (as in "no makeup makeup"). And Les Meteorites is very, very subtle (at least the 02 Clair is). It gives my face a very soft glow and I don't why or how but it makes me look younger and fresher. The scent is luxurious and lasts for hours. And the packaging is absolutely beautiful. Once you've tried it, you really understand WHY it's so expensive.

While $60 is probably the most I'd ever spend on a single makeup product, I'd happily shell out the $60 over again for Les Meteorites.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by fashionfreak678

PROS: brightens complexion, matte and glowy look, soft focus finish, emphasizes natural beauty
CONS: may be difficult to notice the effect, cost

APPLICATION: Meteorites is best used as a finishing powder. I apply it with EcoTools's powder brush. I simply swirl the brush over the perles and apply all over the face.

APPEARANCE: When I first used this my skin had a very shimmery look after application- turns out that the perles on top were the white shimmery ones. Thus, make sure you have a good mix of all the perle colors at the top of the tin when applying. When applied properly, your skin should have a matte, yet glowy appearance (due to the shimmery perles...but the shimmer should not be obvious!) Meteorites have a brightening effect as well. The color I own, Teint Rose, favors cooler tones but because it is translucent warm skin tones can pull it off without looking ashy. Overall, the powder seems to blur imperfections on the skin, even making my dark undereye circles appear less harsh. Essentially creates a 'soft-focus' look, radiant and natural.

DIFFICULTY NOTICING EFFECT: It took me awhile to fully notice and realize the Meteorites effect on my face. The product gives such a natural look that it is hard to tell. Thus, if you have trouble seeing the product on your skin, you will have to note how it appears when you have *only* tinted moisturizer or foundation on, or versus a true mattifying powder, to be able to compare and contrast.

PERFORMANCE: I have combination skin, so whether my skin leans oily or dry is dependent on the weather. But my T-zone is the area that usually gets oily. After an 8-hour school or work day my skin is slightly shiny in the T-zone, cheeks, and chin but certainly nowhere near as much as there would be if no powder was applied. To avoid breakthrough shine, apply Meteorites over a setting powder.

SCENT: Scented with Guerlain's signature violet fragrance. I personally adore it, but it may not appeal to everyone. Recommend that you get a whiff before purchasing. However, the fragrance is not detectable once applied to the face.

PACKAGING: I own the version of Meteorites that was discontinued at the end of 2013, which has a different package design than the current version. I couldn't decide whether I wanted the newest formulation or the older one, but I chose the older because I loved the appearance of the packaging so much more. It is made of metal, with a floral design on the lid. Reminded me of vintage cosmetics. There is a sponge that sits on top of the perles to keep them situated in the tin. The lid can dent however, so be careful not to drop anything on it!

LONGEVITY OF PRODUCT: I have used Meteorites on a regular basis for the past several months but it looks as if it was barely touched! After buying Meteorites Voyage in Mythic compact (the pressed powder version of this product) I let my mom have some of the perles, because there is so much product that it will expire before I would be able to finish it! The cost is high (the newest formulation is now $60, with a reduced quantity of 0.88 oz), but it is worth the investment because it will last you for ages!

TIP: There will probably be crushed powder at the bottom of the tin. Every now and then, carefully turn the tin upside down (hold the lid against the tin of course to prevent the perles from tumbling out) and tap the bottom of tin. The crushed powder will reach the top of the tin as a result, leading to less effort when using your powder brush to pick up product.

OTHER COMMENTS: I still prefer Guerlain's Les Voilettes (because a velvety matte finish is my favorite type of finish) but Meteorites (both the perle and the pressed powder versions) are excellent for an everyday, 'my-skin-but-better' look. Perfect way to add a little luxury to your daily routine!

Highly recommended!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/28/2014 8:12:00 PM More reviews by ejstringer

Seems to me that this product is a marketing gimmick. It's beautiful to look at in the packaging, but it didn't make any noticeable difference to my face. This product gave a very slight sparkle to the face that could only be seen up very close. Packaging is such that if you accidentally drop the container you can lose quite a bit of expensive product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2014 10:35:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

You are paying for packiaging here - and that can be cool to display on your makeup table - but the actual product is just OK. Physician's formula offers multi-toned highlighter powders for a fraction of the price.

Meanwhile - every true makeup junkie has succumbed at least once in her life and forked over the cash. (Try ebay for last season's design).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2014 4:28:00 PM More reviews by Tygerlilee84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

So I drank the koolaide and gave in and tried meteorites. And I wasn't a fan. And I think that finishing powders just aren't my thing-probably because I have combo to oily skin. I find that I'm oily enough that I have to use a mattifying powder. So I apply my foundation and use a setting powder. To then put a finishing powder on top doesn't really do anything for me. I'm pretty sure the finishing powder works better just on top of the foundation but I'm too oily to do that.
I had the teint rose shade. So one, the scent is overpowering, but I could have gotten over that. Two, it is lightly reflective/glowy but that is diminished when applied over my mattifying powder and if I apply just this I get oily very quickly. Three, the first ingredient is talc which when used as an all over face powder makes me crazy itchy.
So to me, this is like an average luminous powder that irritates my skin (and my nose), and I'm really not sure if I can see a difference. No thanks.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2014 11:08:00 AM More reviews by alina08

I think the biggest selling point of this product is the luxe packaging and the fact that every year the company comes out with a newer, fancier design. Other than that, I cannot put stock into this product because I really do not think that it is as spectacular as everyone says. The first point of contention that I have is that the powder (from my generous sample which I received from Sephora) comes off as primarily green, making it look more like a redness camouflage powder. I should note that I have the shade Clair 2, which has a lot of green and purple balls. Secondly, the highlighting effect is okay, but I do not feel illuminated from within, as this product would have me believe. I also think the perfume scent is too pungent for a makeup product. Overall, this was just an okay highlighter, but I happen to think that ELF gives this product a run for its money with its highlighting compact, which for only three measly dollars really detracts from the allure of these meteorites.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2014 9:56:00 AM More reviews by ginaxav

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been wanting to try Meteorites for awhile and after I really really fell in love with Hourglass powders I decided to give it a try.

The packaging is gorgeous, but neither the package nor the product are travel friendly. I have newer packaging, a silver tin with white and pale pink flower petals on the lid. There IS a little sponge inside to help the balls not bounce around, but it's also a little bit annoying to remove as there's not much to grab onto with my nails.

The price is more expensive than Hourglass finishing powders, and those are so amazing that I bought 6 in less than a month, so Guerlain would really have to be on their game for me to love this enough to repurchase it over Hourglass.

I use a Sephora bronzer brush, but I'm debating dropping another $42 (!!!) on the Meteorites brush, just to see if it makes a difference.

So far, it's ok, but I'm not wow'd. It's a nice finishing powder. Slight smell that I don't notice once it's on my face. Makes my face look better, and not powdery. I was hoping for a little bit more correcting due to the lavender and the green balls, but didn't see anything. On the other hand, some balls are shimmery, but I don't see shimmer on my face, so that's good. It feels luxe, looks pretty on the vanity, and makes my face look nicer, but it does not extend the wear of my makeup (Hourglass does).

I won't repurchase unless Hourglass Ambient Lights get discontinued, but I use it because I have it. I have Hourglass powders stashed all over (kitchen, purse, diaper bag, emergency makeup kit, etc) while the Guerlain (has to) stay on the vanity, so it's at hand and it's not terrible.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2014 1:16:00 AM More reviews by naomi10

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like these beads. They impart a wonderful shine. I am not sure they could be used for contouring though. They happen to be a little bit pricey, which might make me hesitant about purchasing them again. But this is one beauty product everyone should buy at least once, just because it's so classic.