October 31, 2014 | 982 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2013 3:08:00 AM More reviews by ShinH

Initially I was really happy to buy this product since it has recieved so many good reviews. The product dries to a matte finish and it feels so good on the skin. I would say that the price is little bit too expensive here in Australia (56 AUD), but over all I was pretty happy about it until it broke me out like crazy. I got 5 GIANT bumps on my cheeks after the first week of wearing it and when I stopped, the bumps went away. Recently I gave it another try and it still broke me out retty badly. I really want to love this product but I can't.

Pros:
    non-greasy
    feel light on skin
    matte finish
    super water resistant

Cons:
    broke my skin out
    super water resistant (which can be a pain when you remove it)
    expensive

I wouldn't recommend this to someone who has acne-prone skin but if you have perfect skin, this could be a really good product.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2012 9:05:00 AM More reviews by Aijamal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Bought this sunsceen based on good reviews and I am so glad that I did. I agree with other reviewers that it does works very good as a primer under foundation, also controld oil thorought the day. I do not agree that it has white cast, its very good smellling cream, not heavy, not greasy. So far best that I have ever used, will buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2012 8:08:00 PM More reviews by Jinstellakwon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I originally used SPF 36 but transitioned when SPF 55 came out. I've used Shiseido's Sun Protection Creams for quite a few years now and I can't boast enough about how amazing this product is. Even though I slather this product all over my face, neck, and chest, it leaves my skin feeling moisturized and matte. It is the perfect base for my makeup!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2012 3:35:00 AM More reviews by sitknee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow. Seriously, I'm so surprised by how well this sunscreen works for me. My super oily skin finally has something that truly helps! I was shocked when I saw that I barely got oily throughout the day.

So the texture is rather thick, which might sound a little scary because if you're oily, you know you should stay away from creamy products. However, there is no issue here. Though the texture makes it a littttle hard to blend in, it's not a big deal and you are left with a nice, matte finish (if you think you look shiny, give it a minute to sink in). Not only that, your skin looks beautifully primed. You could definitely skip the primer, but I tend to use primer no matter what. I find there is no issue putting my Hourglass over this, or my foundation. You're simply left with an amazing flawless finish! It truly contributes as a primer, no joke.

Not only that, the oil-control is incredible. My skin is super oily and this just works. It really does. Now, that doesn't mean I'm 100% oil-free for 24 hours or something -- I might get slightly oily in my T-zone, but it's honestly such a small bit that I don't even bother to blot. Another thing to mention is that my moisturizer really determines whether this works or not. What I mean is, if you find that your moisturizer doesn't control oil even a little, this isn't going to combat that.

As for white cast, I do notice one a bit, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker -- not when it controls oil and primes my skin so well. In terms of breakouts, I get none, though I am breakout-prone. However, I do want to mention that people say this sunscreen needs to be removed thoroughly, or you will find yourself with clogged pores. I think the top recommendation is an oil cleanser, which I use anyway.

This is pretty expensive for how much product you get (and it's not like you can use only a little -- this is sunscreen, after all!) but totally worth it if you need something that will actually help control oil while protecting you from the sun!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by Lulabelle13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this product daily on my face for a few weeks now and I think I can finally say that I have found my HG sunscreen. My skin is pretty sensitive and I just started using Ziana which makes it more sensitive, but this stuff does not sting or cause any irritation. It hasn't broken me out or clogged my pores at all. I am happy with the protection; I haven't gotten any darker or noticed any new freckles on my face. I use about 1/4 tsp to cover my face. There is a bit of a white cast, but it does sink in after awhile and it's not enough to bother me. It dries matte, which I love. There is some tackiness, but after I apply primer and makeup it's not an issue. It does require an oil to remove, and I have been needing to use cleansing oil to remove it from my foundation brush too. The only downside is the price, but one bottle lasts almost 2 months if you use it only on your face. Overall I am very pleased with this product and will definitely continue to use it.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/9/2012 6:59:00 PM More reviews by lemonz4us

No . Just no . This sunscreen is awful .
    Ok first I wanted a physical sunscreen that had high zinc content but no white cast . I usually rely on bioderma chem ss but it's too moisturizing right now for summer and not water resistant . I need something that'll stay on my face in this heat. This toutes having 16.3 % zinc , as well as 2.2% titanium dioxide and 7.5 octinoxate as well as waterproofness . I can tolerate the octinoxate it doesn't bother my skin .

The product is itself a thick white cream , it's scented but doesn't smell bad . I prefer no fragrance, but it doesn't bother me . Now the actual results . I put 1/4 tsp on my face 1/4 tsp on my neck and then some for my ears. I tried to blend as best as I could but I honestly do noT see how anyone can successfully wear this much ss on their face . I was as white as a geisha (and my skin is pretty light). I even let the ss absorb for 30 minutes . Still white. I had to wipe down a lot of it . The white cast is unacceptable . For the price (20$ an oz) this better do the dishes and mop the floor too . Oh btw to those who say you only need a pea size for your face ! No. Wrong. To get the labeled protection on the tube you need to use 1/4 tsp for the face and another 1/4 for your neck . And then some for other exposed areas . That said. The smaller size tube (the 19.50) which is 30ml --btw this is the better deal-- should last you about 10 days . Yup . 10 .
    This sunscreen fails on so many levels . And shine control is poor . I got shine on my nose after only 3 hours with this on . Another thing . If you don't know how to remove this well, expect break outs and cystic acne. You need an oil to break up the sunscreen to remove it completely .
    Compared to my traditional Japanese sunscreen (kose) this is like the tortoise from the tortoise and the hare, except the tortoise loses .

The kose feels like nothing, absorbs instantly with it's milky gel texture,moisturizing despite the alcohol, let's skin breathe, no shine at ALL, even after 10+ hours,offers higher protection with 20% zinc, same water proofness but removes easily, and comes in the same size as the bigger size shiseido , for the same 35$ dollar price tag. The difference being that one is actually worth the money.
    I will not continue using this or repurchase. I wouldn't recommend it .thumbs down for this . I expected more , especially for the price tag. No thank you geisha mask.

edit: found something even better, replenix ss spray, weightless sunscreen, adheres nicely to skin, has lots of aox, and 12% zinc. Far more affordable than shiseido too.

12 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by supragurl7

Before this sunscreen I had been using those shake-up sunscreen from Asia. They included Anessa, Biore UV, and Shiseido Perfect UV Protector SPF50+ PA+++ ( I bought this in Hong Kong. It is the white bottle but I think it is the Urban Enviroment here in the US.) Anyways, I really like sunscreens from Asia as it is lightweight and less greasy. Lately, (partly do to me getting older and my job environment) my skin has been more and more dehydrated. My face would turn to a prune and I was to find the culprit. While I was slapping on the Shiseido sunscreen I bought in Hong Kong, I noticed my eyes watering, and see that my fine lines were accentuated. Then it dawned on me ALCOHOL! I checked the packaging, and it was the 3rd ingredient on the list. I stopped using it immediately and went on a hunt to find a sunscreen without alcohol. This particular Shiseido Sun Cream does not contain Alcohol. The reason those shake-up sunscreens are lightweight and non greasy is because they contain ALCOHOL. I'm bummed about it since I don't want my face to become a prune.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2012 12:27:00 AM More reviews by fromskyline

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

This is my HG sunblock. And despite the fact that its natural physical ingredients of zinc oxide + titanium dioxide A) dries out my skin and B) makes it flaky (I have to exfoliate and moisturize my face every day) & C) the price of a bottle isn't exactly ideal, I CANNOT EVER LET GO OF THIS. I can see myself using this for the rest of my life, every single day.

Let me explain why:

1. I've tried every single kind of sunblock in drugstores, chemical, physical, natural, etc. But they either left my face deathly/ill-like white casted (I'm ~ NC/NW 15), or they smelled extremely chemically, or they burned my eyes, or they weren't performing and I found I was burned despite frequent application. I've truly burned through everything and was so unhappy.

2. I've tried Shiseido's Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 60 and while it's thinner and easier to blend out (and less white-residue), it doesn't leave my face as matte at the end of the day. Also, I feel like its runny texture allows the physical sunscreen ingredients to... migrate. I feel like this migration possibility is OK if you're using it on your body, cause you can reapply many times without worrying about stickiness. But if you try to reapply constantly to your face, you'll notice the lotion is building up and is starting to feel sticky and mucky on your cheeks and forehead.
    For some reason, I truly feel that the Cream SPF 55 helps the physical ingredients stick better to the face without having to reapply - almost like gluing the physical ingredients on until you scrub it off at the end of the day. I truly feel Protected!!!

I've come to terms with the fact that I have to exfoliate my face with a washcloth (I just use a creamy cleanser and exfoliate by scrubbing my face in small circles with the soft washcloth) and lotion up my face so I don't look like I have a skin disease when I apply the Cream SPF55 the next morning.
    Anything to protect my face and health.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2012 2:23:00 AM More reviews by Saibachick

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is currently my sunscreen staple because it contains zinc and titanium dioxide. I can't find many sunscreens readily available in America that have that high a content. Because it has high contents of zinc and titanium oxide, it tends to leave a bit of a white cast. Which is fine because it does dissipate a little after it dries. Now I'm not sure if this is micronized or nano zinc since it leaves that white cast but for the percentage it's remarkably not as white as say (badger sunscreen) and I haven't asked the company if it's micro or nano yet. But being a physical sunscreen it should stay on all day and there's no need to reapply, that's why I chose this sunscreen, pricey or not.

One of the few sunscreens readily available in America that offers a good amount of UVA protection all day.

It doesn't contain alcohol so that's a big plus in my book, no drying experience.

It does work as an amazing makeup primer too, probably because of the silicone.

Packaging is very nice and you can get pretty much all of the product out, even when you're hitting pan on it.

I'll definitely keep buying as long as they don't change the formulation or lower the percentage of zinc and titanium.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2012 4:07:00 PM More reviews by cindy007

This sunscreen, combined with my covergirl ageless foundation, made my skin look flawless. On its own, this sunsceen can leave a little bit of a white cast. This does decrease as the sunscreen dries, however, it is still somewhat visible. However, when I put the covergirl ageless foundation over it, and then lightly powdered with lucidity powder, my skin looked amazing.

On its own this sunscreen provides a very high protection from the sun along with high UVA protection. Since it is a physical sunscreen (mainly) the spf does not break down like chemical sunscreens do. For this reason, it is better than chemical sunscreens.

On the down side, the sunscreen can feel a little heavy and is harder to remove. However, I use clairsonic and this does get it off.