Noxzema Original Skin Cream

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

Water , Stearic Acid , Linseed Oil , Soybean Oil , Fragrance , Ammonium Hydroxide , Camphor , Menthol , Eucalyptus Oil , Propylene Glycol , Gelatin , Calcium Hydroxide (end)///// (ORIGINAL DEEP CLEANSING CREAM INGREDIENTS: 4/9/15): Water, Stearic Acid, Linum Usitatissimum Seed Oil (Linseed), Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Propylene Glycol, Gelatin, Camphor, Phenol, Ammonium Hydroxide, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Calcium Hydroxide, Menthol, Sodium Bicarbonate, Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Fragrance.

Here I am pushing 60 and using Noxzema again. The generation before me used it. The texture of the cream is so easily spread and light. Best used with a washcloth. Rinses easily. Don't get it anywhere near your eyes or you will be in agony. Use a separate eye makeup remover. Your skin will feel so clean and soft. The iconic medicinal smell is love/hate. Hint: On brutally hot and muggy days, wash your body with this in the shower, avoiding sensitive parts in your pelvic area. The menthol is very cooling.

I haven't been to the brick and mortars to check it out, but a men's shaving blogger says many generic Noxemas have not changed. Noxema old I used as a mask. It revved up my skin and I could feel it tingling with increased circulation. I think the formula was changed to chemical soup because it's cheaper to make. In todays market consumers do not stay with an offensive product and request changes, that's ridiculous. There are too many products available. Why change a product people have stayed with for decades?A lot of my faves get changed with no public notification. I had just tried Shalimar when they changed it and the new version is a different perfume. *sigh*

I used this year's ago as a teenager, but stopped always trying something new. Over the last 2 or 3 years I've developed a mild form of adult acne and tried multiple products to help get it under control, even trying proactiv. I purchased Noxema just for the heck of it a few months ago and let me just say I'm in love! It has completely cleared up my skin and is keeping it clear. It doesn't dry my face out and has actually seemed to make my skin look smoother. Still not a fan of the smell, but I can deal with that as long as it keeps soimf the job.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This is my all time favorite mask-cleanser. I have used sooo many from drugstore to high end and for some reason I always have to come back to this or have to put it on once a while. This saved my skin so much, it always be like a baby bottom after I put this on. Recently purchase my 5th jar, I'm only 18 years old!!!, and this is like my HG cannot live without it. Smell did throw me off at first but now it just grew in me and it just smell like how good skin smells... haha. I put this on an hour as a mask and just a normal face wash day and night. It's crazy to say I feel this moisturize my face but it does, if I don't put this on a while I have a little dry skin and it'll have a tingly feeling when I use it. If I use everyday then there's no tingly feeling to it, so I know my skin is moisturize and it makes it so soft!!

I have tried this cleanser several times through the years as a teenager. Each time I try this, I break out like mad and it feels like my face is on fire it is irritated so badly. The Noxzema smell is why I don't like the original formula for Cover Girl foundation, plus they don't have one pale enough for me. My grandmother use to alternate between this and Ponds. I can use the Ponds, I can't stand this, old or new formula.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I have tried Noxzema a few times and have been unimpressed each time. The smell is very medicinal/herbal which isn't necessarily a problem. The cleanser is very thick and white, even filmy looking and feeling. Rubbing it in my face feels as if I'm rubbing in Vaseline or something, upon rinsing my face feels very oily as if it were indeed Vaseline I was using. I also hate that this stuff comes in a tub. I will say that Noxzema removes makeup quite well, so all is not lost for women who use cosmetics regularly. I'm not one of those women. I know this is a classic which is why I even bothered but it's just not for me. One of the worst products I've ever tried. Clearly I will not be repurchasing.

I'm glad to see that I'm not going crazy and others have also noticed the huge difference in this formula. I don't know what in the world they were thinking when they tampered with this. It used to be thick and you could put it on your face at night before bed. Now it's watery and feels gross if I try to rub it on my skin. This is for cleansing purposes now. And sadly, it doesn't even cleanse that well. It barely has that menthol'ish tingle. I find that I use more of it because of the watered down formula I need gobs of it. I will probably still buy it though because it's cheap and doesn't irritate or break me out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Let us bow our heads for a moment of silence as the cool clean icy classic has died. What was a product well known and loved for over a hundred years has now been reduced to a chemical soup with the main four star natural oil ingredients , that have carried the cream so well and for so long, all but one being replaced (the eucalyptus). Some time in within the last year Unilever did some modification and took out the essential oils because , according to them, customers were complaining about some of the ingredients like the camphor. This sucks! It seems all the classics that our mothers and grandmothers, and even great grandmothers, used have been reduced to modified recipes, using cheaper ingredients, but are being touted by companies as being the same exact thing people have used for decades(I'm looking at you Pond's Classic Cold Cream!). Pay attention to the label and stock up if you are a die hard fan of the original recipe (or whatever it's been the past ten plus years). Look for camphor, menthol, phenol and eucalyptus on the label if you want the "old" formula. I use a jar of the old formula as a mask and let it sit on my skin for anywhere between 1-10 minutes to help reduce any acne I have. I had to do some online research and watch vintage TV ads to figure out how this used to be used back in the day. The old instructions were to let this sit on the face for a minute or so and then wipe off with a wet cloth. This works better IMO if the water is hot. My skin calms down and acne is reduced if I follow these directions. If I don't and just apply and wipe off I get a thick film left on my skin which leads to clogged pores. I've always been a fan of using this in the morning as a wake me up since it feels like I've washed my face in snow and the cool tingle from the eucalyptus on my eye lids wakes me up immediately.
Once this jar is used up and if I cannot find any more jars of the old formula I will not buy again because it's those plant oils that make this product so great at killing bacteria and treating and reducing acne.
Would like to point out that this product is NOT KOSHER OR HALAL!!! It contains gelatin and according to Unilever is sourced from pork fat.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I got a tiny jar of this in the sample bins because I wanted to see if it would do amazing things for my skin. Unfortunately it did not. All those 80 year old grandmas who used only this all their lives and had youthful skin must have been using something else when their child was not looking. This irritated my skin big time. I got a red welt on the cheek like a burn. And yes I did use this for washing my face as a teen in the sixties. That was recommended and it worked fine, but teens have tougher skin that can withstand harsh ingredients. This is not good for paper-thin, aging skin so why did I try it? As an experiment. I get into belief systems about products and I thought this was all bad. I wanted to prove myself wrong if possible. Instead I saw my belief was correct: whatever is in it is not good for my skin and actually hurt my skin. It took several days to heal. Take any review with a grain of salt, because you don't know the full story behind the 80 year old's amazing skin. It could have been as simple as diet or climate or avoiding the sun. For sure it could not have been this. As the current owners changed the formula after buying it from the original manufacturer, I am sure it is worse now than it was originally.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I used this years ago and then, for some reason I didn't recall, I stopped. When I heard they were "reformulating" the original, I decided to try it again, for old times' sake, before it changed.

And now I remember why I stopped using it.

It feels great going on. It smells great - I love the menthol/camphor/eucalyptus scent. It's very cooling, easy to use, and does a good job of cleansing.

But here's the dealbreaker. After it's all rinsed off, a scent remains. And it's not a good scent - not menthol, not camphor, not eucalyptus. I can't put my finger on it, but it's not pleasant at all. So that's why I stopped using it years ago, and that's why I'm stopping now. I wanted to like this, as a nostalgia thing, but no.