October 20, 2014 | 2002 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2014 3:12:00 PM More reviews by dolce_1127

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I read some of the reviews below, and I can honestly say, if this does not "melt away your makeup", it means you did not use this correctly. Over the past 5 years or so, I used up maybe 4 giant tubs of this. The correct way to use this is to use it DRY on your face when you have makeup on. Kind of like a oil cleanser. You gently message your face, including your eyes, as if doing a mini facial, if it becomes dry, add a tiny bit of water, and keep going. After you rinse it off, you usually don't need to re-cleanse your face, because it rinses clean with no oily film behind. But if you want to, you can re-cleanse your face with it, this time, you can use it with your face and hands wet, and this cleanser will act like a normal cleanser that foams. It takes away WATERPROOF makeup, even waterproof mascara in a heartbeat. In any case, this keeps my face super clean. I admit it is slightly drying, but it is not close to some of the other cleansers in terms of drying out my face. It keeps any pimples and such at bay, and I have exclusively used this for a very long time. The biggest bottle is the best value, and it lasts a very very long time. It is a yearly ritual for me now to use my Sephora 20% off on two bottles of Purity, one for me, one for my mom. I have sensitive skin, rarely breaks out, but gets red easily, and I wear makeup very often. My mom has dry skin, and she only uses waterproof sunscreen everyday. This works very well for both of us. I hope Philosophy would print the correct way to use this on its bottle, so that consumers will not be mislead and think it's ineffective. If you could buy a little bottle at Sephora, I highly recumbent you to try it out!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2014 2:35:00 PM More reviews by Kica

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ok....no. Bottom line this cleanser does nothing that my Cetaphil cleanser doesn't do and better. This leaves my already dry skin feeling a little drier after I wash my face and it takes extra rinses for me to feel like it's ALL rinsed off.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/18/2014 10:41:00 PM More reviews by jessicarwx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've heard so much about this cleanser from various YouTube videos and online reviews that I just had to try it! I bought the trial/sample size at sephora for $10 since I definitely did not want to buy the full size for around $40. Thank god I didn't! I've only used this cleanser a handful of times but I can honestly say that it's one of the most overrated products. Not hating on it in anyway, it's just I expected so much since everyone raves about it, and I was left completely disappointed. In my opinion there's nothing special about this cleanser. If you do decide to try it I would go with the smallest size to test whether you like it or not. That way you don't waste your money.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/18/2014 7:40:00 PM More reviews by PurplePuppy

This did not take off all of my makeup, and I only wear a little bit of Bare Minerals. I'm very simple, so the idea of this face wash was very appealing. It does say right on the bottle that it deep cleans and melts away makeup, well it didn't for me. I tried washing my makeup brushes with it, it did an ok job at that but I still re washed them with shampoo because they felt like they had a residue. I hate the smell of this, and if you get any tiny bit of the foam in your mouth it tastes HORRIBLE. It also mildly irritates my eyes and does nothing to help my acne prone skin. It's going back to Ulta!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/13/2014 5:10:00 AM More reviews by LoveJasonA

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is the most overrated, crap product I have ever used in my entire life. Not only does it suck, I don't feel it gets the makeup off my skin at all. It is suppose to "melt your makeup off your face" as the people on QVC state (if you have ever watched the Phiosophy special they have). That too is a lie. It doesn't melt anything. I have to go back and rewash my face after using this product.

The ONE and ONLY thing that I can and will say on a positive note about this product, and I am not sure if it was the cleanser or something else, was that I had a spot on my face from where I picked at a pimple (yes, I know) and it actually cleared up the red mark and it made it go away. I think that was more from the use of the hope in a jar than the actual purity product. With that said, I will never use this product again, and hope this will save many people money.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2014 4:41:00 AM More reviews by Rae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I've already used up two or three big bottles of this cleanser. It works so well with my clarisonic mia and does a great job in removing my makeup. The texture of the cleaner is so gentle and the smell is so calming. HOWEVER!! I finally realize this is the one that cause me BREAKOUT after I've used up two bottles.... I had breakouts and pimples on my chin and forehead during the period of using this cleanser. I thought it was because of my period and sleeping too late at night. I switched to Kiehl's after and my chin stopped breaking out. After i finished the Kiehl's I started using the philosophy again, and there the breakouts come n say hello. It also causes my husband breakouts after he uses this. He doesn't like the sneaky feeling of this cleanser.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/3/2014 8:00:00 AM More reviews by emzo889

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been breaking out like crazy recently, Just loads of little spots and bumps, and I'm not even too prone to breakouts. All my other skin products I've been using for a while so this cleanser must be the cause of the problems. Luckily I bought the smallest bottle size they did, but it's still way too overpriced for what it is. It didn't particularly hydrate my dehydrated combination skin either, and doesn't remove a lot of makeup. Overall, not great.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/6/2014 More reviews by UrbanFacedMacnamedNYX

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I wanted to love this cleanser so much so I bought a second bottle. My skin rebelled against me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2014 9:30:00 AM More reviews by LenaOfDC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Someone at Philosophy sold their soul to the devil to make this. It's too good to be true. I use this for a full 60 seconds twice a day and it leaves my combination-oily skin beautiful and matte (nearly all day!) without any tightness or dryness. Hasn't caused any breakouts. Skin is softer and smoother than ever. Love, love, love.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/12/2014 9:32:00 PM More reviews by ohmydiamond

worst product i have ever used do not buy