September 20, 2014 | 981 users online

Moisturizers - Alpha Hydrox - Enhanced Lotion - 10% AHA

rated 3 of 5 on 8/24/2014 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Mittenzzs

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Decided to try this because ever since a horrible breakout I've been cursed with not only marks left behind but recurring breakouts in the same area. I've tried BHA's before and they didn't really do anything for my skin, so I decided to take a chance on this because I'd heard great stuff about AHA. The application feels nice, but I had expected some stinging because that's what others had said and yet I had none...so I feel like this has no effect on my skin whatsoever? It's only been 2 days though, so I'll put an updated review after about a week. This is just my first impression. Really hoping this product will work because I've heard so many good things about it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2014 1:52:00 AM More reviews by mmherman

First time user of an AHA lotion. I bought some stuff off ebay years ago and didn't see any results. It just stung and had to be neutralized with baking soda. It didn't improve my acne and didn't reduce my scaring or imperfections. At least not that I noticed.

I've known for awhile that BHA's work for me, but largely ignored AHA's after my first experience. Enter Lisa Eldridge who shared her skincare routine. She stated she had problems with acne and her routine helped. I of course couldn't buy all the high end stuff she had so I decided I would look for DS alternatives. Enter Alpha Hydrox, which I had seen good buzz about on MUA. I decided to pick up this lotion.

So far no increase in breakouts. This seems to dry out current break ups and has smoothed my skin. I've only been using for a few weeks so I can't say if it has reduced any pigmentation issues, but will update in the future about that in the future.

I use this at night only currently. Once the summer is over I might bump it up to morning and night application, but for now I just do the night application. You have to wear sunscreen when you wear this. I haven't gotten a burn yet, but I try to wear spf 50 everyday on my face. I also think not applying this in the AM has prevented unintentional burns.

This lotion did sting my face when I put it on at first, but it wasn't bad. It was nothing like the ebay acids. This was just slightly irritating. Definitely not painful. And unlike the ebay stuff this stays on all night and doesn't need to be neutralized. I like that. It also has a slight chemical smell, but it is similar to the smell of the ebay peel I bought. It isn't gross or obnoxious. It just has a smell.

I apply this to my face, neck and chest. Mostly because one squirt of this covers all of that surface area, plus Lisa E. made the point of saying that the neck and chest need cosmetic attention too. I guess it makes sense since the neck especially shows signs of aging.

The bottle says this is for dry skin. I believe that it just labeled that way because glycolic acid is a chemical exfoliate. My skin is not dry and it still works for me.

Overall very pleased with this product and will buy higher levels of glycolic lotions in the future. I have heard great things about the 12% souffle. I ended up buying the foaming face wash and it works well too.

Great brand and can't wait to try more stuff. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2014 12:49:00 PM More reviews by sonicRED

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have tried all sorts of skin care products over the years, and I can truly say, I never notice much of a difference. Some products will cause more drying or obviously not work, but almost never do I actually notice a measurable improvement in my skin. With this one, I did. from the very first day. I am in my twenties, but already dealing with fine lines and sagging skin in addition to my acne. My forehead had been permanently flaky despite trying a variety of moisturizers.

This took care of my forehead flakiness in just a few applications, and my skin no longer looks/feels so dehydrated. My acne has also noticeably improved. My foundation applies and looks better, it no longer sits on top of flaky, sad skin. This isn't a miracle product, I still have fine lines, acne and my skin isn't perfect. But it's as close as I've ever found!

My routine: OCM with sweet almond oil, dry with microfiber cloth, apply this lotion, wait a few minutes, apply my nightly moisturizer. In the morning I wash with just water and apply my sunscreen. The combo of OCM and this product seems to manage the acne, dryness and dehydration, which is difficult to do!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2014 2:41:00 PM More reviews by ANA723

I stumbled across this in researching ways to get rid of my acne and scarring and am so glad I did. First week, I was amazed at the results! Second week...purge week...everything surfaced and I almost stopped using it. I am glad I didn't. Since then, I have not had one cystic pimple, I am finally wearing my bangs off of my forehead again, and skin appears to be improving. It isn't a "miracle-wipe away all of my scars and pores overnight" lotion, but what really is? My skin has lightened a lot, so I appear a little pale, but it's better than looking like a meth addict! I pair it with Physician's Formula Super CC+ cream and powder (which also is very light). I will continue to use this every night or every other night. I use pure aloe (yes, from the leaf) as a primer under my CC+ cream and only wash with Burt's Bees Soap Bark and Chamomile face wash. These products together have created relief for me and I am no longer 100% embarassed to have my face showing going out in public.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2014 8:48:00 PM More reviews by lollypops

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This has helped with my adult acne (along with a slew of other productsc see below.)
If you use benzoyl peroxide this will definitely relieve the dry skin flake problem.
Plus, the bottle lasts a good 3-4 months. sweet!

There is a slight stingy feeling with this product (sometimes more than others). It helps to wait 10 minutes or so to apply it after the shower to avoid the sting.

I'll preface my regime with this comment: I usually only want to put organic natural stuff on my skin, but after 2 years of skin agony I found products that work for me. I wish they were all natural, but I'd rather have clear skin.

Here's what I do in the morning and night: (in order of application, wait roughly 5-7 minutes between products)

Wash: Topix Benzoyl Peroxide 10% Wash 8 oz bottle: $14.45 - lasted 5 months!

Exfoliates: Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion 10 percent Glycolic AHA -- 6 fl oz Anti-Wrinkle: $10.35 - lasts for 4-5 months

Epionce Lytic Tx :$54 (expensive, but compared to what i was 'trying' that wasn't working, worth it.) - WAIT 7 minutes before applying next product. (i am now on my 2nd tube)

La Roche-Posay Dual Action Acne Treatment: $36.95
- lasts for about 1.5-2 months.

presription Clindamycin: $15 (one tube lasts about 2 months)
(i did this for 6 months, i just stopped this because my skin is pretty much free of pimples and i don't want to get the resistant bacteria.)
Hopefully the other products will work on there own.

Moisturizer:
night: CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion, 12-Ounce Bottle: $10.94
day: Olay Complete All Day UV SPF 15 Moisturizer, Sensitive Skin

- Today I just made my first batch of Vitamin C Serum and yesterday i started using MSM cream. (now that the zits seem to be chilling out, i'm working on removing scars and pigmentation.)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 9:28:00 PM More reviews by wishesonastar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this product. The packaging definitely fools you for a bit. I saw it at Walgreens for $13.99 and it reminded me of a product from my grandma's stash. I think it's safe to say they haven't invested any money into their packaging. But who cares!? it Works!!

I read about it on acne.org after having a horrible bout of acne. If you have acne issues I *highly* recommend heading over to that site and reading up on his (Dan - the founder) regimen and technique. You definitely don't have to buy his products for it to work, I've used my own and have seen MIRACLES on on my skin!

Back to the product.. I've been using it for a little over a week and it has definitely lightened up my scars from past acne and has evened out my overall skin tone. It it definitely drying so be careful not to use close your lips and eyes! If you already have a clear complexion (lucky duck), and just need to freshen up your skin, after washing face apply a layer of this lotion. I wouldn't rub it in, just lightly spread it over your clean skin. If you fighting acne (like me!) apply benzoyl peroxide to the problem area, let this dry for at least 10 mins (very important for it to work!), then apply the lotion and let dry. I do this at night and am AMAZED when I wake up! Complexion is so clear - to the point foundation was not needed.

I would like to note that it does sting a bit when it's absorbing into your skin but will go away in a few minutes.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2014 7:45:00 PM More reviews by sinleeangulo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I alternate my moisturizers. But every time I use this, my skin looks its best. Love this stuff. I don't know why I stray from this. I think I'll stick with this line forever.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2014 12:38:00 AM More reviews by quiksilvababe

definitely dig Alpha Hydrox's stuff, always so cheap too, yes!! (if you live in NorCal, they carry this at Grocery Outlet for like $5!) Minutes after putting this on i feel my face getting tighter, which i like.
i'll report back when its 2 weeks later, ive been using the face cream which is more concentrated i assume, i like that one too.

spreads on slightly watery than most face creams, which means you can get away with using less product.
simple packaging, nothing fancy.

4 stars not 5 because it doesnt have retinol which i desire

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2014 12:17:00 PM More reviews by AnnabellaB

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Hi everybody

I will update this after a few months usage!
This is my first review on any website like this. I'm really trying to get into beauty as i've just turned 26 and am looking a bit rough round the edges due to a hectic lifestyle and a tomboy attitude to cosmetics and skincare.
I have been told i have very very very dry skin. i get perioral dermatitis and my makeup oftentimes looks caked on and flaky, not good.
I bought this product off the back of a recommendation on the skin care forum. I bought it for just 10 or so off amazon.
Upon receiving the lotion, it looked rather dated, and like something that would have resided resided in my nan's bathroom.
Do not be fooled! I have been using this for maybe 5 days and my husband has already noticed a difference to the point when we woke up this morning he said "why are you looking younger everyday at the moment?"
i am using this currently in conjunction with a good old favourite tub of thick nivea moisturiser. I'm hoping to do some research and fine something more effective
The first application smarted a little, but only briefly. I have been using it morning and night after washing.It no longer tingles, my skin is the softest its ever been and the few blackheads and blemishes i had have disappeared.
My makeup (though i have swapped to mac studio fix fluid foundation and a new brush/primer) has never looked so fresh, natural and stayed put for so long. i'm beaming!
This is a product for life i think! x

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2014 10:20:00 AM More reviews by emily0212

I have rosacea but my skin LOVES glycolic acid. I do like this. It stings just a teeny tiny bit when I put it on but that goes away quickly. I'm also doing at-home peels (mild ones!) and they sting much worse. I would never use this during the day, my skin is way too sensitive to sunlight to do that. The texture of this lotion would not be that great under makeup either.

My skin is much smoother when I use this. Not noticing a huge reduction in wrinkles, I don't have many but I have a forehead line and my eyebrow 11s drive me crazy. Will keep this up and see how it goes.