Maybelline Ultra Liner Waterproof

3.0

on 2/28/2015 6:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I'm on my second bottle now and this is definitely my go to. I find it reliable because I've used it long enough that I'm able to troubleshoot most of its flaws (on my skin). The biggest payoff for me is that this lasts ALL DAY through sweating, partying, and normal wear. It's a true black that shows up well on my skin and possibly on other medium to dark skin tones which means it might be more unnatural on fair skin.
The brush might be tricky at first, but once you get the dexterity to control the brush, it gives a really great range of thin to thick lines.
If you're not careful it's easy to overestimate how much product to leave on the brush when you apply and this leads to the flaking and cracking. Also, if you have dry skin on your eyelids, this liner might not be worth it. I usually open this, evaluate the amount of product on the brush and scrape off any excess along the inner opening of the tube to drip back in. It now takes about 20 seconds to put this on, another 20 to dry, and I'm out the door.

on 2/3/2015 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this for years! It's great for long lasting liquid eyeliner!! & the price is very affordable and lasts forever. Only problem is the brush is hard to get the perfect wing. It took me awhile to get used to it!

on 11/29/2014 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This was the first liquid liner I ever bought, and it admittedly took a while to get the hang of (liquid liner is hard!). But I've been using it for a couple of months now, and it does an all right job. My go to look is a cat eye, and you can just do a little flick and it goes on pretty smoothly.

That being said, I do have a few issues with this product. Firstly, it takes a while to dry. I have hooded Asian eyes, so if I open them while the line is even kind of damp, it gets on the rest of my lid. Not good. Secondly, it has a tendency to flake as the day drags on, especially where I wing the liner out. After 5+ hours, the bottom of the wings will have flaked away.

True to its claim, it is waterproof; I've worn this stuff to the ocean and it's stayed on pretty well, and I've also worked out and taken naps with it on with minimal wear-off. I have no clue why it flakes while just wearing it; maybe my eyes are a bit oily.

Overall, it does an okay job. I haven't hated using it, but I wouldn't repurchase it.

on 11/13/2014 10:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

El peor delineador líquido que he probado. Al momento de secarse se cuartea... Y se va cayendo en pedacitos el color. Pésimo producto.

This is my holy grail liner. Most liners wont hold up to a sweaty 12 hour shift. This one will! It might break at the end if I'm rubbing my eyes, but no raccoon eyes. It comes off super easy, but it'll stay on when you're working out even! I've also worn it into the pool once!

Now, the brush is not easy to use. I would NOT recommend this for people who haven't had a lot of experience with liquid eyeliner. It does need a few seconds to dry, you do need to mind your eyelashes, and you need a lot of practice. When you do finally get that practice in, this eyeliner is absolute gold!

I say for the experienced users: Try it, and use it for awhile before you pass your judgement. It could definitely surprise you!

on 10/31/2014 12:58:00 PM

I've been using this liner for about a month or two now, and I have to say, its not bad. it goes on smooth, its very black, and its true to the waterproof claim. The only complaint i have is that it can get a little messy sometimes, one stray brush bristle will ruin your entire eye. Also, you can literally peel it off if you can get a finger nail under it. and it leaves my lids a little red.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this product. I have hooded eyes and there has not been one eye liner that has not smudged onto my eye lid by the end of the day, even with an eye primer.

My mom has been using this for years, but never thought to try it as I thought I needed something "special" and she didn't know what was up in the makeup world. She's visiting this weekend and after spending $20 each on the Stila eyeliner and the new Benefit eyeliner (which by the way, is the least smudge proof and water proof of this one, Stila, and Mac fluid line), I decided to just give it a go. If it didn't work, it couldn't be worse than the Benefit eyeliner I just spent $20 on that, not only smudges onto my eyelid, but also slides down to the outer corner of my eyes.

Put my usual Smashbox eye primer (the brand new one is my HG.. Comes in a silver tube) on and followed with my mom's eyeliner. SO BLACK AND SO FLUID. The applicator brush is small enough that it is easy to control even for an inexperienced person. Gel and liquid liner definitely takes some time getting used to, but this one was a breeze to apply.

I think the only downside for me is that it takes awhile to dry since it is so liquidy. I DONT CARE. If it stays put on my face, I'm taking it with whatever bad it comes with.

I put it on this morning, sweat all throughout the day (I'm a super sweaty person), and I came home to my eyes looking I like they did this morning.

I think the reason I had a flake-less experience was because of the eye primer. It flaked bit when I was taking it off with makeup wipes, but at that point I don't care what happens with my makeup.

on 7/12/2014 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

1) you can scratch this eyeliner off with just your nails 2) the brush made it a little hard to apply. 3) the color was good. 4) it doesnt stay for long, and if you sweat or if your walking in the rain its gonna flake off

on 7/9/2014 10:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I have been using this for many years, but that does not mean I like this! Its complicated, I guess I was just lazy to try anything else so I kept buying this. I have much to say on this.

Flake disaster. It applies and dries to like a rubbery, latex finish material and comes off very easily in flakes and even worse, strips!!!!! Any stretch of the skin, touch, blinking throughout the day, or nothing, its cracking and everywhere. Its beautiful for a short moment. It IS waterproof though, but it will flake off before you have a chance to battle any water/moisture. Not very good for layering either, becomes easily thick, and more prone to flake off.

The colors are very nice. Black is super dark. I really like the browns from this. The applicator is thin, flexible, like a small pointy paintbrush, and oh so easy to make flicks, wings. Now that I think about it, that is why I kept buying it! I'm a horrible artist, I cannot make wings or cat eyes if my life depended on it, but I love the look! Its a good day if I get it near perfect. This can get me that shape I want.

The price is so ridiculously cheap its a steal! And it lasts forever! The quantity and the formula is just never ending. The one I have now.....wow....when did I buy that....I seriously cannot remember but Im sure a year ago, could be longer! I'll never know.

So the only bad thing is the formula, the wear of it. That's it really. As much as I have been very faithful to this, Im ready for new and better wearing eyeliners!

on 6/15/2014 5:50:00 AM

I love this eyeliner. Actually received it in a giveaway bag. First - about the cracking. If you apply this over powder or powder eyeshadow, yes it will not stick as well. Otherwise, it is ON THERE. Good for superfine lines or fat ones.

I have only ever had problems with it after rubbing eyes by accident, then pieces might flake off. This product - i teach multiple aerobics classes in a row and it does NOT MOVE. Huge thumbs-up.

P .S. I guess there might be "better" ones on the market but i am not sensitive or allergic to this one at all (a frequent problem), so i haven't looked for anything else.