Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar

3.3

Price: $

Price: $

Triethanolamine, TEA Stearate, Sodium Tallowate, Glycerin, Water Purified, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Ricinoleate, TEA Oleate, Cocamide DEA, Fragrance, Tocopherol

No, this soap is not pretty, and won't look good sitting on your counter, even in a pretty soapdish. What it will do, is cut through oil and makeup like nobody's business, and leave skin feeling smooth and clean. This doesn't irritate my skin like liquid foaming cleansers do, but I do recommend following with a moisturizer, at least at night. I have oily, breakout prone, sensitive skin, and this cheapie little amber bar works great, without being medicated. I alternate between the original (with fragrance) and the original fragrance-free bars, but I honestly love the way the scented version smells. I keep mine in a plastic travel soap dish, that's vented at the bottom so the soap can dry and not turn mushy. I like this bar better than Dove or Purpose cleansing bars.

on 6/29/2015 1:12:00 PM

I bought this after finding out that this is what Jennifer Aniston uses and has used for years, but I didn't expect it to be anywhere near as drying as it was. I have combo/oily skin and my t-zone is particularly oily but this made my skin feel really tight/dry and uncomfortable and gave me little white bumps across my chin and jaw. It's really good value for money but definitely wouldn't recommend it.

on 6/12/2015 11:51:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I've used this on two separate occasions and both times it gave me a raging breakout. something about neutrogena products just doesn't agree with me...whenever I use their stuff I get the most horrible painful inflamed acne.

also I remember this stuff smelling rancid?? like straight up fish food. no matter how clean I kept it or how well I rinsed it off before each use, it just smelled awful and the scent lingered on my skin. if other neutrogena products have broken you out before or if you have a sensitive nose, skip this.

on 4/5/2015 3:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I like these bars just for the nostalgia of them.
I like the weird scent they have. It also kinda bothers me because I do not really care for it either haha.
These have never worked for my oily skin in any formula I have tried and I tried them all multiple times.
I think if you have normal skin or dry skin these may work really well.
They are pretty gentle on the skin and price is great.

on 2/14/2015 7:54:00 PM

I bought this having no idea how drying it is. I used it a couple of days ago on my body in the shower. My skin has been very sensitive recently, and I thought this would be nice and gentle. My skin was squeaky clean, but not in a good way--like I just removed every drop of moisture in it. It was so bad, I re-washed with my regular body cleanser. It smells pleasant, but other than that, I can't think of anything positive about it.

on 1/16/2015 8:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I like to think of this cleansing bar as the skin cleansing equivalent of clarifying shampoo. Suds up and it will remove all dirt, makeup and oils. It means business and rinses clean. Like a clarifying shampoo, it is best not to overuse strong cleaners. I find that unless I remove all traces of eye makeup at the end of the day, my chronic blepharitis flares up and my eyelids will become red and itchy. The Neutorgena cleansing bar has done a remarkable job keeping that area clean when I wash off all makeup at the end of the day.

on 1/16/2015 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I used a bar of this back when I was a teenager with acne, lured in by the Neutrogena commercials. Now I know a lot better, and this product was completely wrong for my skin type. At the time, I thought I had oily skin but I was wrong as it's more dehydrated-normal.

It left my skin feeling squeaky clean and tight. I thought this was a good thing because if there wasn't any oil that meant I couldn't get any more pimples. It didn't work. I've realized that Neutrogena's bar was stripping my skin entirely of oil was causing it to overproduce to compensate, increasing the amount of acne but also leaving my skin flaky. Since then, I've switched to a more gentle and less drying cleanser and have seen my skin improve and clear up significantly.

Unfortunately this was nowhere near as gentle on my skin as Neutrogena claims and left it feeling tight. It might work well for more truly oily skin types.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The average facial cleansing bar, I wouldn't recommend this unless you are in need of emergency face wash and this is all you can find. I'd recommend the liquid version of this cleanser over this bar every time.

Pros: Inexpensive, cleanses decently and can be packed while flying in carry-ons. It seems to be half as effective as the liquid version but may be good for people with sensitive skin.

Cons: Bar feels unhygienic and doesn't lather well after several uses. The smell is a bit different and I feel it dries my skin out a bit, but I keep my skin well moisturized so this isn't an issue for me.

on 12/28/2014 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

At first, this stuff dried my skin and broke me out like crazy, but after some time my skin has adjusted to the formula. It gives my face that fresh, squeaky-clean feeling and reduces the appearance of blackheads on my nose. When followed up with a hydrating toner and moisturizer, dry skin has not been an issue! I paid $7 for a pack of 3 bars, and considering how long each bar lasts, you just can't beat that price.

My problems with the product: it foams up more than a typical concealer (which probably contributes to the drying effect), smells unpleasant, and is difficult to pack and transport unless you buy a soap bar container. As someone who goes back and forth between homes throughout the year, I want products that are easy to carry around, and a soap bar just doesn't do that.

Though it's not the best cleanser I've used, I would happily buy it again.

on 12/3/2014 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product was horrible for me. It dried my skin out to the point that it took two weeks to recover from the peeling. I should have tossed this the first time I tried it. It literally dried my skin out instantly, to the point where it was hard to move. If this dries your skin out, and you're using a moisturizer to compensate for the dryness, that is so bad. why would you strip your natural oils, and add moisture back on? Over time, that will damage your skin. I only gave it one lippie because it did not break me out, my skin remained clear. I rather have one or two pimples than skin that is tight and dry. This may be good for someone with normal skin, but if you are like me, who has tight, dehydrated skin from using so many different products...stop using this, your skin will become drier. I say use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. My skin is healing from using that alone once a day or every few days. I find that my skin isn't dry or too oily. It feels comfortable.