December 19, 2014 | 1189 users online

Eyeliner - Laura Mercier - Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Black Ebony

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2014 12:30:00 AM More reviews by meluvcosmetics

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

When I do get it right, it's beautiful.
I've been trying and practising for the last two weeks, 9 times out of 10 I make a mess.
Due to my inexperience in tightlining. Also I hate to pull up my lids too much so the mess could be due to this factor, but I believe not entirely.
Yes, like some said, it smudges. I was in for a shock after a medium intensity Yoga class where my lower lids were bady stained (i don't line nor mascara my lower lids by the way).
The SA did warn me, and so I went to buy the Tightline Activator which is supposed to make it really 'waterproof'. I still get Panda eyes after the Yoga class.
The last straw, I made a mess this morning, used q-tips and cleaned off my whole eye area to re-start again including eye cream and liquid foundation. The excess on my tightline (which was not totally removed since it's almost beneath my lashes and I did not clean too deep as I already had my contacts on) somehow found its way out when I was buffing my eye area with the foundation brush. Ended up with a mess/panda eyes for the second time.
Too much of a trouble.
Unless I have loads of time for my make up, I will switch back to using L'Oreal Gelmatic Pencil to tightline my eyes.
Again, as I said, the one time out of 10 that I got it right, it was beautiful, till after my Yoga class.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2014 3:00:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a major fail for me. I've been using LM cake liners for years and have had nothing but success with them. I absolutely love Bleu Marine and Plum Riche, and I use both often. So I'm not new to concept. But this is just a mess for some reason.

The color is great, it's a very rich, deep, matte black with excellent pigmentation and no grayish cast. I use it to tightline my upper lashes using the LM tight lining brush and water. That's the way I've always used my other cake liners and it works perfectly. No smudging or fallout, and it lasts all day long. Even though I usually only use these to traditionally tight line, I also use them occasionally to line my upper waterline. It's one of the only products I can use in for that purpose and not have it transfer into my lower waterline. Not so with this one. It doesn't set well and is soon all over my interior lids, both waterlines, and smearing into my lash roots. I've tried using it as a traditional liner just along my upper lid but had the same issues.

I'm giving this two lippies for the great color, amount of product for the price, and the nice packaging. But otherwise this is terrible and I would recommend trying one of the other colors in the line if you're interested in the cake liners.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/3/2014 1:11:00 PM More reviews by varga100

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not happy with product at all. At first I chalked it up to a newbie's user error. I was getting smudging in my lower waterline whenever I'd blink. I figured I was using too much water to mix up the product. I started experimenting with different amounts of water. I'd apply and then tilt my head back, making sure I wasn't blinking, furiously fanning my eyes trying to get the product to dry. I'd STILL get smudging into my waterline minutes later when I'd blink even after the product had allegedly set. I love the look of tightlining but this product could be so much better. I love a lot of Laura Mercier products but they dropped the ball on this one. Search for the perfect tightliner continues, cause this ain't it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2013 11:21:00 PM More reviews by HunterGray

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Cake liner is the way to go for tightlining, there's no competition. Even the most waterproof of pencil and gel liners will smudge and transfer eventually, but this stuff is bulletproof. I don't have completely hooded eyes, but I don't have a ton of lid space either. Lining the gaps between my lashes gives me the definition of eyeliner without taking up room on my eyelids, or overwhelming my eyes when I want a more natural look.

Skip the activator, I get perfect results with e.l.f.'s Lock & Seal liquid. I apply a drop of the liquid directly onto my brush (I use a very tiny angled brush I took out of a nail art brush set) and then swirl around in the pan until I get the desired consistency. There is a slight learning curve here. Too thin and it'll run into your eyes (black tears are NOT attractive), and if it's too thick it'll be hard to apply, patchy, and may even flake. You'll get it down after a couple of tries though. I then press the brush along the roots of my lashes, essentially stamping the liner along my eyes. Not on the upper waterline, but just above it. Right into the lashes. And once it dries, it isn't going anywhere. No matter how hot or how teary-eyed I get, it's always right there at the end of the day. I get zero transfer to my lower lash line, and zero of that black crud buildup in the corners of my eyes some liners can give me.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2013 1:18:00 AM More reviews by cathykl

Beautiful perfect matte black I spent years looking for and finally found. I use this to tightline around upper lashes and occasionally to enhance crease (I just barely have one so it needs some help!) Lasts forever on eyelids without turning into a mess.

Pros- matte, stays put & intense no primer needed. Sleek, classy packaging
and easy to travel with. Very good quality.

Cons- pricey for the amount and if used daily it won't last too long. I go through about 4 ever year, and thats just the Ebony shade!

Would and do repurchase. I love how simple yet perfect this is.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2013 9:05:00 PM More reviews by Oolbogurl

I use this for tightlining as my daily routine. it stays on all day. this is NOT meant to be used as a eye liner or to use on waterline. it smears and runs very easily when it gets on my waterline. I run my flat eye liner brush under water. I dab it on paper towel or something to get the extra water out and then work the brush on the cake until I get the amount I want on the brush. I can finish both of my eyes after this step. this stays on all day without smudging while all pencils have failed me. it is pricey but it lasts a while so I think it's worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2013 11:25:00 PM More reviews by fannyfan

PROS:
- Defines the eye in a dramatic but natural-looking way
- Intense black pigment
- Matte finish
- Seems to last indefinitely (12+ hours with no primer)
- Never smudges on my oily lids, unlike most pencils and gels

CONS:
- Tricky to apply (see note below)
- Expensive, hit pan in 2-3 months

BOTTOM LINE:
Worth the extra minutes in my daily routine. Unfortunately for my wallet, I think I need this in every color.

NOTE:
I use tap water and a random flat brush; apply to upper lashline (not waterline) from below (for a natural look) or above and below (for a more dramatic look); try not to blink too hard for a minute while it sets; and clean up with a pointy cotton swab dipped in makeup remover. The right amount of water makes all the difference with this product. Too much and it smears, too little and it flakes. For each eye, I work 1-2 drops of water into the cake with my brush until I get kind of a waxy, shoe-polish consistency. If it gets too watery, I swirl my brush around for a minute until the extra moisture evaporates.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by nicholee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Unfortunately this product smudges after a few hours. If it hadn't I would surely purchase again. It does create a dark intense color between my eyelashes which liquid eyeliners and Too Faced 3 Way Liner couldn't achieve. I really loved the look after using it but just not happy that it smudges. Some other reviewers says it doesn't smudge for them, even though I used a primer too, it didn't help much. I even bought the activator thinking that it would help with the staying power instead of using just water.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/23/2012 8:27:00 PM More reviews by Newyorking

I am surprised to read such good reviews about this product. I purchased the cake liner to use for both tighlining and as eyeliner, along with LM tighliner brush. The salesperson at the counter did a good job of application. My lids are oily, and I use a primer. This liner smudges like hell for both tighlining and as eyeliner. The inner corners of my eyes smudge mid-day when I use it as an eyeliner, and the tighliner barely stays on. This is a terrible products and has zero staying power, ridiculously expensive for what it does. I tried using a little water and a lot of water, nothing helps. I went out and purchased YSL cream liner instead, it has an amazing staying power, doesn't come off even when I sleep! But my LM cake liner cost $$$ and is such a waste. I do not recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2012 3:02:00 PM More reviews by ero2t

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This was used when I had my eye makeup done at the counter, the sales assistant was really helpful and suggested this with the baked eye shadows about 18 mos ago. Since then I've moved on from the eyeshadows (returned to a darker eye that I prefer) but stuck with this eyeliner. I've tried Clarins nifty pen with the three points and Bobbi Brown's gel as well as MAC's fluidline (all in black) to try and top this as I'm not keen on the faffing about with the water and getting the right consistency. That said it beats all the others hands down. There is so much pure black pigment in this that I really feel it makes the others appear grey when you are used to LMs version. This pure black pigment really makes the whites of your eyes pop and look clear. The texture and tightlining technique also give such a lovely natural look which the others can't replicate.