Ponds Deep Cleanser Cold Cream

4.1

Mineral Oil, Aqua, Ceresin, Beeswax, Triethanolamine, Behenic Acid, Fragrance, Ceteth-20, Cetyl Alcohol, Carbomer, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Methylparaben.

on 2/17/2015 11:38:00 PM

I'm a recent Pond's convert from the oil cleansing method, and don't think I'm going back. I get a great clean face when I smear this stuff all over my face, massage in, and wipe with a warm washcloth. The best part is I can forgo moisturizing twice a day now. I'm only moisturizing at night now, since Pond's doesn't dry my skin like most cleansers. I also love the scent.

The cult classic, the original cleansing cream, the original cold cream. Pond's has been used as a cleanser for well over a century and for good reason. It's Mineral oil content allows for swift easy removal of even the heaviest of makeup. The trick is to use it twice, once to remove makeup and grime, and then again to cleanse the skin. That's the secret.

There was a time when Pond's recommended the cream be removed with tissues, that was back in the day when laundering was expensive, they didn't have superior detergents as we have now to remove grease and makeup from wash cloths and tissues were very affordable, and were the best thing to mop up/absorb the cream without leaving behind a greasy film. Cotton pads are also recommended but that really along with tissues is very much just a waste of tissue paper and cotton. A lot of waste in the bin.

The best way to remove the cream is with a warm(not hot) damp face cloth/terry towel and gently remove the cream. It is a very nice experience and the original balm/wipe off cleanser, no need to pay an absurd amount for Eve Lom, Organic Pharmacy, Liz Earle etc balm cleansers that really will just go into the bin or down the drain. To pay that much money to take off your makep is absurd and really stupid.

I will stick to Pond's thank you very much. It is the original in that kind of wipe-off cleansing, nothing like it. Full Stop.

The only other point is that there should be a fragrance free option as there is a distinct vintage rose smell to this, might be too much for some people. It is fine for me but I do think they should create a fragrance free option, that would be very valuable for those with a sensitive skin who cannot tolerate cleansing with water. Yes those people exist!

on 2/17/2015 1:47:00 PM

I've tried a lot of makeup removers and it just seemed like I was running through them so fast it was burning a hole in my wallet. I've heard of Pond's as something my mom and her friends used, and I never took it seriously (in fact I didn't know what it was for), but on a lark when I was out with my mom we each bought a jar. I love it! It's a huge jar for $8 and actually breaks down waterproof eye makeup (I still need an eye makeup remover to be sure I got everything though, but this makes it easier).

It melts down my makeup and feels nice when I massage it in. I've been wiping it off with cotton, but thanks to another reviewer's tip I will try it with cloth--less waste and more effective. I still use a facial wash afterwards, but that was when using cotton rounds to wipe it off. I'll try it with wet cloths next time, it just might give me better results.

Doesn't feel harsh on my skin, doesn't leave it feeling tight and dry.

I wish the packaging was more hygienic, but since it's a cream I know there's no other choice.

on 2/14/2015 9:14:00 PM

At night, I rub this all over my face and neck, massage it in a little bit, then remove it with wet cloths that I cut from old T shirts. I rinse the cloth a few times in hottish water and go over my face and neck with it until the cream is removed, then splash with cool water and apply an eye cream, a serum and a light fragrance free moisturizer. I throw the cloths in the wash with the towels so they get washed with bleach and reuse them.

In the morning, I again cleanse with cold cream and then apply eye cream and Eucerin SPF 30 facial lotion, or sometimes I'll wash my face in the shower with Dove Sensitive Skin Beauty Bar, which is what our whole family uses in the shower.

Cold cream does a great job of removing all my makeup and my skin has never looked or felt better. In fact, a few pesky black heads and clogged pores that I had for a long time are now gone. This has been my routine for about a year. My skin has always been good but this seems to have improved it. It truly is "deep cleansing" in that it seems to reach into your pores, grab the grime and escort it out of your skin. I think removing it with a wet cloth is key to really removing it. When I used it in the past and just wiped it off with a tissue and then splashed with water, I hated it and my skin didn't feel clean.

This stuff is cheap, widely available, and is basically the oil cleansing method without the mess of oil. I have a tiny jar that I refill for when I travel.

I convinced my acne-prone teenage niece to try it and showed her how to remove it with a warm, wet cloth and her skin has improved measurably. I think that somehow this cleansing method actually balances the skin.

I find as I get older that a simple routine works great for me.

on 2/7/2015 10:09:00 AM

I could only ever manage to use this to remove makeup. Then I discovered oil cleansers (and just straight up facial oils) which simplified my routine and allowed me to remove eye makeup without scraping goop out of my eyelashes. I consider the Pond's line one for older ladies who grew up with this stuff. This is just mineral oil suspended in a base with fragrance. Although it is cheap, it is not particularly beneficial for skin and there are many oils on the market today that are excellent for your skin that remove makeup without clogging pores or causing irritation. I think this product belongs in the past.

on 2/7/2015 4:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

i rub a pea size amount on a dry face of makeup. it slips your makeup around so i dot it on my eyes, massage my face and save my eyes for last. I then use a facial wipe or a wet washcloth to take it off. this does a great job at removing makeup but definitely go in with a cleanser or scrub afterwards.

on 2/5/2015 4:47:00 PM

I bought this because it was the only makeup removing product that was left on the shelves at Walmart after the holiday had basically wiped out the whole store in my rural area. I really bought it out of desperation because the makeup removed I used to use was not there, nor was any product that I recognized.

I have loved this cream since the first night that I tried it. I love the texture - it feels so soft and silky on my skin. That's how it makes my skin feel after I use it, as well. As soon as I wipe it off, my skin feels clean and fresh. I quite honestly don't feel the need to do anything else to it afterward. I don't really notice the smell, but I can see how it might be mildly offensive to someone who is particularly sensitive.

Something that I really like about it is how nicely it comes out of my eyebrows and eyelashes. It feels a bit sticky when it goes on for the first time, probably because I wasn't used to a cream cleanser and I wasn't quite sure how it was going to come off, but it comes off really easily. I was shocked how much makeup came off on the cloth the first time I used it. I have never had any other remover take that much off.

The first morning I woke up, I noticed right away that my face still felt clean and that my skin looked better already. I sometimes forget to clean my makeup off and if I start having negative effects from my carelessness and I use this, it is a quick fix to my problems as soon as I use it again. (I think the most I didn't use it was three nights because I was away unexpectedly and it was left at home.)

During the day, my skin feels amazing under my makeup. I can feel how smooth it is and see a difference in my colouring. I have more success in the morning putting on my foundation because the surface of my skin is more even and everything glides on like it is supposed to. And because my makeup is so nice going on, I'm actually using less makeup, saving me money, but also reducing the acne, then the makeup, then the acne . . . you get it.

My routine with it is put a whole ton on to my face and smear it around, because it lasts forever apparently. I am very, very generous with how much I put on and the tub looks like it is still completely full after over a month of using it. I run a regular washcloth under warm water and ring it out. Then I just wipe off my face and call it a night. In the morning I use a salicylic acid face wash and moisturizer routine. It does not appear to interact negatively with it. In fact, I think it makes it more effective because my face is already so clean from the night before.

The only thing I don't like, and this is by far the most minor thing I have every complained about, is that I do not like the shape of the tub. It is attractive, but i can only see into the future when I am trying to get my fingers up into the sides. But because it is so inexpensive, especially for how long it will apparently last, I am not even worried if I don't get it all out. I only include this here because I rarely give anything 100% (joke, because I'm a teacher).

I will buy this again. I will use this for the rest of my life (and I'm only 25!). This is true love (don't tell my husband).

on 2/1/2015 11:50:00 AM

I love this and can't believe I haven't tried it sooner. Well, I know why I haven't because now that I'm in my 30's, my skin is not only oily, it is now acne prone. Hello, welcome to adult hormonal acne. My problem areas are my chin and jaw line. I get big cystic blemishes there. I had flawless skin as a teen, nothing could upset my skin. Now, the wind can blow too hard and my face turns beet red with bumps. As I get older, I'm noticing that chemicals in skincare and the enviornment are now making my skin on the sensitive side. Because I've always had oily skin, the thought of putting a cold cream on my face was insane. Wax and mineral oil? To wash my makeup off? Are you crazy? But, I'm getting frustrated by the lack of performance in other products so I picked this old cult favorite out of desperation. My normal skincare routine was this: 1. remove makeup with 2 makeup wipes. 2. apply a salicylic acid face wash w/ Clarisonic brush and cleanse skin. 3. Tone skin. 4. apply a serum. 5. moisturize skin (even though I have oily skin, I'm also blessed with dry flakes around my chin area. Again, this is a new skin problem for me). Last night, I tried a new simple approach to my pm routine. I got rid of a few steps. 1. apply a thin layer of Ponds Cold Cream directly to my face full of makeup. I let it sit on for about 2 minutes. 2. dampened a papertowel with warm water and wiped it all off. 3. tone skin 4. moisturize skin. Actually, I really didn't need to moisturize my whole face, only my dry chin because after wiping off the cream, there is a moist residue left behind that feels nice but doesn't make me appear oily. Best of all, all traces of makeup were gone! gone! gone! No wait, best of all is this. I was so afraid to wake up with about 20,000 new blemishes, clogged pores and what not. But, when I got up and out of habit, grabbed my blemish concealer to dot my spots. When I looked up in the mirror w/ my concealer in hand, I was thinking Damn, my skin actually cleared up! The only thing I had to cover up was an old acne scar on my chin. Sooooo, now I don't need that $200 Clarisonic thingy to cleanse my makeup off. Hmmm, I wish I discovered this $6.99 miracle cream 2 years ago before I purchased the Clarisonic. The only con I can find with this product is the smell. I wish it was unscented.
Update: I'm finally done with my first tub and I'm buying another to replace it. I love this product now just as much as the first time using it. This one product has saved my skin. Forever will be a tub on Ponds near my bathroom sink!

on 1/29/2015 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I generally don't write reviews for anything but I'm so grateful for this cream that I feel it is important to share my story. I suffered from cystic acne for a large portion of my teenage years and early 20s. I have tried most cleansers in Shoppers Drug Mart from high end brands to low end just searching for a solution. I started using Ponds Deep Cleanser cream about 2 years ago and my skin is the best it's ever been. I rarely break out now and when I do it's 1 or 2 pimples max around my period and I no longer need to use concealer and foundation.

When I first started using it my skin was great, 1 week later I started breaking out on my chin but I kept using it and after 2 more weeks my skin had adjusted perfectly. I believe a big part of the noticeable difference in my skin is due to the use of microfiber cloths in combinations with Ponds cold cream. I bought them cheap from the auto / car section of Canadian Tire and I find they really help unclog my pores.

My routine is to spread the ponds cream across my face and rub it in for 30 seconds. Following that I put my microfiber cloth under warm water and start removing the cream from my face. I rub sections of the microfiber cloth on my face in circles to remove it. I also make sure to never use the same part of the cloth twice as I feel you're just spreading bacteria around on your face if you do that. This usually means i'll use both sides of the cloth so I can capture my whole face. After that I rinse my face with cold water, pat dry and I'm ready to go to bed. Simple but effective. I know this is a long review but I sincerely hope this helps someone like it helped me.

on 1/28/2015 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Pros:
Removes all makeup including waterproof mascara and eyeliner easily.
My skin feels clean
My skin is hydrated

Cons:
Maybe not good for people with oily skin as it can be

I use this produce according to the directions. I rub a good amount of it all over my face. I make sure to gently scrub my eyelids and lashes in a circular motion for 30 seconds. Then i take a washcloth, run it under warm water, ring it out, then wipe my face. Everything is gone! After that I continue with my skincare routine.

I have tried other makeup removing wipes and they fail to get ride of my eyeliner and mascara completely. This works amazing and last much longer is cheaper.