The Body Shop Foundation brush

3.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 6/17/2014 12:19:00 PM

This brush was the first foundation brush I bought and it was bad enough to put me off them for awhile! It feels soft and doesn't shed, but the result it gives is awful. I gave it three tries, applying a different liquid foundation each time varying from quite viscous to thin in case one particular formula just didn't work with the brush.

It's not the shape that's the problem but the bristles, which soak up most of the product.

Like others have said, this brush streaks like crazy. The bristles quickly clump together so it's useless for buffing and when this happens it has a grotty, icky feel. It's quite difficult to clean too. I just threw mine out.

I suggest Bobbi Brown's foundation brush (which has the same paddle shape, if you like that), the high coverage foundation brush by Dior or the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush.

on 3/29/2014 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

So at first I didn't like this brush at all! But I later figured out that I wasn't using it right, and now am LOVING it!
So at first I pump a little amount of my foundation in the back of my hand then I dot it on my face and use the brush to blend it in. It works like magic.
Though you need to wash it after every use but it dries quickly.

on 4/1/2013 10:26:00 PM

Left my foundation streaky even after trying different primers and moisturizers underneath. Sturdy handle and the bristles don't fall out or anything but I was disappointed in the performance of this brush.

on 1/20/2013 4:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I've had this brush for years. Not sure why but it makes my foundation streaky. Never use it much.

For what it's worth, the brush in itself is sturdy, soft and good. For the price it is actually great. Just doesn't do it for me, though.

on 11/17/2012 10:52:00 PM

I don't understand the negative reviews for this brush! I actually really like it. :)

It's soft on the skin, it doesn't soak up too much product, it doesn't shed, and it doesn't make my foundation too streaky. I tried a stippling brush beforehand to apply makeup but I found that I like a good old foundation brush better.

It's a little expensive but it seems like it will last a while. Would definitely buy this again.

on 6/8/2012 11:30:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I had never owned a foundation brush before this one but had expected good things from The Body Shop. While I still do like the shape, size, and softness of this brush (plus it has never shed), it just doesn't cut it for me. I usually have to do a fair amount of extra tweaking with a makeup sponge and/or my fingers for my foundation to look decent; otherwise it's just too streaky and too difficult to blend with this brush. It has also been a pain to clean and as some reviewers have said, it starts to lose its original shape. Not worth the price. I'm in the market for a different brush.

on 6/4/2012 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This foundation brush is a traditional foundation brush for creamy and watery foudation. It doesn't shed, feels good on face with soft bristles, but stiff enough to sculpt my face. It doesn't streak too, so the application has been smooth. However, after 2 years of using it, it begins to change in shape, and that's the problem with all The Body Shop brushes - they are not very durable. One side of the bristles all goes to the other side and now it is very uneven. weird!

Overall, I think it's a brush for beginners and would be a good choice if you don't put on makeup that often!

on 11/30/2011 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I think it's a decent brush, performs nicely but absorbs too much liquid foundation. I need to wash it every single time- spot cleansing does not seem to be enough for this one.

on 11/27/2011 8:07:00 AM

its amazing, i use little quick strokes and it applies my liquid foundation just perfect although
it gives a much nicer more natural finish and more coverage :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was actually heading towards the Sephora in my mall to get a new foundation brush, which, if you buy it from the Sephora Pro Collection, is $27. But on my way I passed TBS, and I thought taking a look at their foundation brush won't hurt, right? The girl in the store wasn't very friendly. She just kinda explained to me how the brush hair NEVER falls out (tried and true!!!), how the hair's very dense, and that it's made of 100% synthetic fiber(which is supposedly better than natural, since it soaks up less of your liquid makeup than a natural-hair brush). I had to ask her questions to know more about it, which is not usually the way at TBS. However, I decided to give it a try, since it meant saving $4.
The brush handle is very sturdy and easy to control while applying liquid foundation. I've heard some people say it's hard to clean but I think it's relatively easy. I haven't seen a single hair fall out yet, and the hair is so densely packed it kinda drives me crazy.
The only con is that it doesn't have one of those plastic cylinder shaped things that comes with Sephora brushes. I used to wash my brushes and put them into the brush tip "protector" and stand them like that.(if you use them you know what I'm talking about) But this one just came with an outer packaging...
Over all a great brush that everyone should try! And I think this is really quite cheap comparing to MAC brushes...

Top Rated The Body Shop Products