October 20, 2014 | 1954 users online

Pressed Powders - Laura Mercier - Pressed Setting Powder - Translucent

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2014 10:09:00 PM More reviews by squiggles37

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Really ballsy for Laura Mercier to call this a translucent powder when it's anything but! This powder totally shows up chalky yellow white on my NC25 skin, which makes my skin look dry and ashy. I have to pat the powder puff on the back of my hand so many times to get rid of excess, yet it'll still show up on my face. That is way too much work for a pressed powder, so I'm going to try and use this in the mornings with a brush to set my makeup and not for purse/travel. Otherwise, packaging is secure/solid, and the sponge/puff that comes with the compact fits nice and neatly on top of the powder. Also there is a mirror. This may be a good option for extremely pale skinned girls, but definitely avoid if you're not. NARS Reflecting Light Pressed Powder is a way better option if you're looking for translucent pressed powders (it's stark white in the pan but doesn't show up on your skin).

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2014 1:12:00 PM More reviews by yummymummy2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm a bit of a powder novice. I hardly ever use or buy powder because my skin is normal-dry sometimes.

However, I thought a tiny dusting of powder might help my foundation to stay in place if I wasn't able to touch it up over the day.

I bought this online after looking also at Clinique and Bobbi Brown.

I have to be honest and say I have hardly used it because although it's a setting powder and translucent, it does give a powdery finish and a slightly white appearance. I brush a tiny bit on my T zone with a powder brush ( not the sponge in the compact) and it does set my make up.

I don't know if I'd buy it again to be honest. Not because of the product's performance but because I don't use powder very much at all- it does take the 'glow' off my make up which I feel is a bit ageing for me- I like a semi-matte look, not matte.

The only times I would use it might be in high summer when it's hot and most make up slips off your face then. I am sure it's a good powder but don't have much to compare with.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2013 11:07:00 PM More reviews by sterlingK

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Other

I bought this in Matte because I needed something to help control my extremely oily skin and set my makeup. This works to some degree but not to where I need it to. It's okay for winter, it does look a bit noticeable and it powdery for a short time but it's gone quickly and I am quite pale so it's hard to see. My major issue is that it's not holding up at all during the summer. I find I have to apply multiple times and my face feels even more oily and dirty at the end of the day when I use this. The packaging is really lovely though but not worth the price for a product that doesn't work well for me. Would not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by LibertyRose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This and LM's foundation primer are two of the brand's best sellers that I have put off buying for years, which is strange for an LM loyalist. But when I finally caved and got the primer, I became an instant convert. The story with the pressed powder, however, is less of a fairy tale. I neglected it for months, not out of disappointment, but because I believed I didn't need it. Having dry skin, I have learned to steer clear of powdery products because they accentuate my pores--I even quit powder blush because of this. So, as much as the idea of setting makeup and shine control appealed to me, I had no use for pressed powder and thought this was my better-safe-than-sorry purchase. Well, this summer, I am certainly glad I had the forethought. A lifestyle change means that I find myself out and about during daytime, whereas in prior years I'd either be in school or the office all day. The humidity and the heat are suddenly getting under my skin, and setting powder becomes a necessity rather than a luxury. I'm happy to report that the pressed powder has helped my makeup stay put. It's also moderated the glowy finish of a tinted moisturizer that I once liked very much but now appears out of sync with the season, in which 'glowy' turns into 'shiny' shockingly fast. Color-wise, I find this to be translucent as advertised, and see no white cast or whatsoever. The powder is fine and well pressed, which makes for a clean and quick application. If you want to have a polished look in the summer, arm yourself with this!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/11/2013 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Kacci

This is a desent powder that controls oil and set up you foundation. But if you want more, sorry...
The foundation leave a white cast that make your face pour and dusty, not natural at all. It take sometime for the powder to adjust to your actual shade. If you want a fast touch to the oily face, make sure you get sometime before you show face to someone, it can be scary, white and ghostly.
I prefer natural coverage with some dullness on my cheeks, in that case, I have to really watch out for the usage of the powder.
Best advice, do not use the pad that comes in with the powder because it will pick up way too much powder. You all know what happens when we use too much powder in one spot, white patch! Although you can use the pad to block some oil before you use the powder, that way, the powder can even out easier.
Anyway, best luck with this product!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2013 2:36:00 PM More reviews by Xxkonixx

this press powder makes my face dry and oily........another drawback is that it is NOT translucent.........i'm around NC 30 or lighter so i'm not particularly dark or anything but this powder makes me my face looks two three shades lighter which is totally unacceptable..........Unless you are fair or ivory skin tones, or else.....it will totally gives you ghostly face........

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2013 2:30:00 PM More reviews by meru

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This powder does what it says, set make up! It keeps the areas where I put on concealer in place for the entire day and the finish is natural looking and doesn't make me look paler. It is truly transparent.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2013 4:59:00 AM More reviews by mcruuz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product does exactly what it claims but it doesn't do anything spectacular for me, especially regarding the price. I have relatively oily skin and it does prevent shine for a couple hours but after, I still do have to reapply. The powder itself is pressed lightly so you don't have to apply much pressure with the brush to get much product and it goes on your face with a slightly white tint but with some blending, it'll go away. It has a nice soft application and stays matte for a couple hours.
The powder also started to fall apart in its pan which makes it inconvenient especially if I want to put it in my purse. I've been using this for a couple months and I've already started to hit pan so for the price I've paid and the performance of this powder, I don't think I'll be repurchasing this.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2013 6:14:00 PM More reviews by sopchan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Was expecting really good things for this powder, but find that whilst it goes on nicely, it is nothing special and most importantly (and why I will not repurchase), it does not last well on my t-zone, requiring frequent reapplication to reduce shine. The packaging is nice, clean and hard-wearing.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/31/2012 11:39:00 AM More reviews by vaigai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Got this along with my first foundation (MUFE HD in 170) on recommendation from the SA at Sephora. I think I have the oil-free kind? I don't use the puff that comes with it, but instead use the Ecotools retractable kabuki. This powder has a greenish cast in the pan, applies a bit whitish/greenish (not the worst I have seen) and settles out about 10 minutes after application. It sets my makeup and concealer reasonably well.. I'm saying reasonably, because this is the first "real" powder or foundation I have owned. I have really oily skin and no matter what, 2 or 3 hours after I put my makeup on, I'm a shine fest. This stuff helps, but it isn't perfect.

Over all: I like that this is a pressed powder (portable, minimal mess), it didn't break me out or irritate my skin, it sets my makeup well, and I would buy it again. **However** if there was a powder somebody recommended that is "amazing", I would buy that instead.. cause this stuff is.. alright.