November 23, 2014 | 1565 users online

Polishes - Essie - Fiji

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2014 1:07:00 PM More reviews by narkiz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a very flat color without any dimension. It does not look good or sophisticated. My skin has cool undertones, this looks white on me, like I painted my hands with a tipp-ex. I hate this color. It might suit someone with warmer skin tone.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/26/2014 8:27:00 AM More reviews by AB188

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Thought i would love this but it takes 3 coats to get an even finish. Also the colour is a bit too chalky; it would be nicer if it had a hint of shimmer to stop it being so flat. Shame as i have a few other essie polishes that i love. I have Ballet slippers and Mademoiselle which i prefer as i can use only one or two coats only and they seem to look more classy.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2014 10:27:00 AM More reviews by jadelily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was slightly disappointed in this product. The color looks beautiful in the bottle. It is a light creamy pink. However, the application is streaky and it takes me 3 coats to achieve an opaque look. I have yet to find a pink I like as much as this one, so I'm willing to put a little more effort into it as the end product is very pretty.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2014 2:18:00 PM More reviews by jessicaengel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely love this color, but always had such a hard time applying it. It almost made it not worth putting on because it was so difficult and annoying. HOWEVER, I recently used a clean OPI brush and it made applying fiji so much easier! I highly suggest trying this out, just make sure you clean the OPI brush really well so none of the old color mixes in with fiji. I'm not sure if someone has already suggested this but I figured I would throw it out there just in case!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2014 10:36:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I heard you could get a bad bottle or great bottle of this. I think I have a good bottle. It's not super streaky or goopy like some I have heard. It's streaky, but nothing horrid. It takes 3 coats to even out and you need the top coat to make it all completely even.

It's a pale milky pink color that leans warm. It's perfect for summer and spring. It will make you look tanner and it looks chic.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2014 7:45:00 PM More reviews by xxbabydollxx

I just purchased my 2nd bottle of this review after finishing my first one like a yr ago, IDK how I went that long without thinking about it! It is def one of my faves from essie's range of np. This color is the face of elegance, if it had a face of course. It's a baby milky pink, I think of it as a white color mixed w a few drops of pink. IT's Ahhh-mazing with a ta, it really pops. But this is a universal stunner;) Whenever I look at my nails I see myself at the beach rubbing my feet in the finesand, I see myself sunning myself somewhere fancy overseas like St. Tropez, I remember long summer nights w/ a minty mojito in hand. I have to stop myself from asking people to hold my bag bc I feel like a mil with my toes and finger manicured in this shade of sophistication :D I do not share the sentiments others have regarding the formula. I actually feel that with this second bottle the formula is actually better. It steaks a bit with first coat but thats normal since this color is a pastel. By the second coat, its def opaque enough, unless you're using microscope vision. I use a OPI natural base coat underneath, so that def helps. It's always my go-to shade for going out as well, because it makes you look good, which is crazy since its just a nail polish. It also helps you get away with wearing bright colors and you won't have to worry about it clashing with nails too. One of my HG for nails for sure. Def try it out

rated 3 of 5 on 5/27/2014 12:41:00 PM More reviews by sarahmcbride

I struggled with this polish and so many pastels before I found this trick on MUA - use a matte top coat in between thin coats of colour and I promise you, no more streaks!! Beautiful solid, smooth, opaque pastels.

Base coat, colour, matte top coat, colour, seche vite top coat.

Basically sandwich the matte top coat between the colours, it makes your nail super smooth and easy to apply the pastel over, which eliminates the streaks. Love looking at my beautiful nails right now! Try it, it works!

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2014 10:49:00 PM More reviews by ireneyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

God I loooooove this color. I've worn it so many times and it NEVER fails to amaze me. It makes my hands look unbelievably ladylike and elegant and ugh I admire it everytime I find myself in front of a mirror. To be honest, Fiji's formula really isn't that bad once you get used to applying it. Glide it onto your nail lightly, to avoid streaking, and don't go over the same spot more than once, to avoid pulling. Fiji does take 3 coats to become perfectly even and opaque, but the color is so gorgeous that it's 100% worth it.

I like it more than other opaque baby pinks like Butter London Teddy Girl and OPI Mod About You (I have them as well) because Fiji is the lightest of the bunch. The BL and OPI ones are a bit too pink/lilac for me. Essie also recently released "Romper Room" from their spring 2014 collection and that is a shade or so lighter than Fiji. However, I've read that Romper Room's formula is worse than Fiji so keep that in mind!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/1/2014 2:21:00 PM More reviews by SassyCappy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

My relationship with Essie's Fiji is the ultimate love/hate. I love: the color! It's feminine and classic. I hate: the formula! This polish's formula is so bad that even I don't have patience for it - and when I really love a color, I force patience.

I bought three different bottles, hoping that one of them would apply like a dream. The reality is that Fiji has one of the worst formulas I have ever come across. 3-4 coats is usually the amount it takes for it to look decent, but then you leave that milky-white pink look and enter baby-doll pink territory.

I love the color so much that I would repurchase because I consider it a staple color, and for some reason or another, a professional nail technician can work with it unlike myself.

Moral of the story: Essie really needs to re-formulate this polish. It's too beautiful to have horrible formula.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2014 11:22:00 AM More reviews by Kluvsx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Essie Fiji is one of my FAVORITE nail polishes so far. This white based pink color is opaque and not even tricky to apply as it can be with other polishes of similar shades. It's streaky on the first coat but the second coat fix that all! This shade is perfect for spring/summer season, especially when you're a bit tanned. Must have product!