Essie Fiji

3.5

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

IN LOVE

So I absolutely love nail polish. I don't own many at all, especially not any particularly expensive ones but I really enjoy the process of applying and the way they instantly make my fingers look thinner and my hands more elegant (if I choose the right colour of course, some colours look like a disaster). I work in a healthcare field which basically means I can't wear anything that makes me feel feminine on weekdays for basically the rest of my life. No hair down, no jewellery or piercings and definitely no nail polish allowed. I'm still trying to get over this. What I've learned though is that when the weekend rolls around and when I'm on holiday, it makes these things feel extra special and like a real treat. And since I can only wear nail polish so occasionally, I feel bad for splurging on nail polish.

Essie Fiji was always one I had my eye on. I've heard reviews of this being the ultimate creamy pink, but I was really put off by the price... 8 here in the UK. Not extortionate, but compared to other brands its a lot. Plus I always thought that either way as long as the colours are similar, no matter what brand it would kind of look the same on the nail anyway. I therefore decided to try Models Own Utopia and Loreal Colour Riche Peach Neglige 856. Models Own Utopia admittedly is lovely, a light creamy colour that pulls lilac and gray. But very thin and discrete on the nail, and chips easily. It was my favourite for a while. Peach Neglige I realised later is almost an exact dupe for fiji, but it never really hit the spot for me. Its a tad lighter and applies quite streaky. Looks very chalky. I still wasn't satisfied.

I therefore decided to take the plunge. I figured I had been thinking about it all this time that I need to shut my brain up! First coat, very streaky but otherwise easy to apply and achieve a thin layer. Second coat, I was blown away. Fully opaque and amazing shine, so eye-catching. Exactly what I was after. And the colour is so so flattering on me. I'm quite pale, NC20-25 and quite warm and yellow toned. It didn't make me look tanned as other people said but it certainly didn't wash me out like other almost white polishes would. But with my fake tan this colour really looked amazing too. I could only wear this nail polish for two days over the weekend but I got SO many compliments on my nails which never happens, like ever. Someone even asked me if they were gel. That's how shiny and nice they looked. Plus my hands looked a million times less chubby than they usually look - win!

So to conclude, I took a risk and it paid off. And I agree that fiji is possible one of the best cream polishes out there. (now I haven't tried many I know, but this is just so perfect that I don't feel like I need to look for any more). Now that I have one essie nail polish I want even more!! But I know I need to reign myself in a bit as the purchase isn't that justified for me. But still, one (or two) more colours couldn't hurt...

on 4/5/2015 12:37:00 PM

I love the colour and do not mind the formula. Two coats was all it needed. I'm surprised people saying it took up to four coats for it to be good.
I do find the application messy though. But I find this normal for essie light coloured polishes.
Price is a tad much but got on sale for $5.
The colour is so beautiful that those cons don't really matter.

on 3/29/2015 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have a real love-hate relationship with this product. Lets start with the pros:

1) Multi-colour: This specific colour is advertised as being "an opaque creamy pale pink." While I agree with that, it DOES look white in some light, cream in others, and a chalky-dusty light pink in some. Personally I have no problem with this, but it makes deciding if the colour is right for your skin tone very very hard. I kind of like that this is having an identity crisis. Also, the colour is very opaque once it is completely applied.

2) Applicator: I feel like this product needs a thin brush applicator which is exactly what you get. It makes it easier to apply the product as more of it gets on the nail verses the surrounding skin.

3)Lasting power: Lasted on my nails for about 4 days which is not bad at all.

Unfortunately those are all the pros...now for the cons:

1)Formula: who let this go to mass production??? WHO? This formula stinks. And yes, I have tried the matte coat method. It takes about 4-5 layers of polish to "perfect" the colour...so that's over 3 hours of my day gone just applying polish.

2)Price: I don't want to pay $10 CAD for a nail polish...but for some reason I did (It was on sale for $6 plus I had a $2 coupon)

3)Over-hyped: I love me a nail polish that everyone adores, in fact I search for recommendations all the time. This product is just all talk no game. Maybe Essie has reformulated? Either way, it stinks.

4)Look: I'm not sure if it's just me, but I feel like your hands need to be in top condition to wear this polish. I went out into the harsh winter-cold without any moisturiser on my hands, the nail polish made my hands look about 50 years older than they are. Yes, the skin in to blame, but the polish acted as a catalyst to make them look even worse (some nail polishes just make your hands look flawless 24/7...I'm talking to you JOE FRESH- Faded Violet)

5) Formula: It's just THAT bad...I had to say it twice.

Overall: I'm glad I have this as I have nothing else like this in my collection...but I'm not repurchasing.

on 1/14/2015 5:25:00 PM

My all time favourite nail polish colour, I have been wearing it for at least a year. Since it takes soooo many coats for the colour to look that pastel pink I found it chips within the next day so it wasn't worth all the time you put in. I found a Sally Hansen nailpolish that still takes three coats but doesn't chip as easy and the colour is almost identical. It's the complete salon manicure line in pink a card!

on 12/18/2014 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Fiji is gorgeous- but it has too many drawbacks to maintain its hype.

Yes, it's the most beautiful pastel pink in the world. I admit that.

BUT: the formula is streaky as heck, the polish looks yellowy after a few days on my nails with a top coat over it? Like, ew. It's Seche Vite, supposed to be guaranteed not to yellow! It also takes like 4 coats for real opacity and I am not about waiting 3 hours for my nails to dry, no thank you.

Pass on this one. The search for the perfect pastel pink polish is still on.

on 12/18/2014 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I love the colour of this and as any light coloured polish does, it looks stunning against medium-dark skintones, however it is something of a nightmare to work with!

This polish applies streaky and thus takes 3 coats to become even and opaque, meaning that with a base coat and top coat it takes FOREVER to apply and is still susceptible to chipping should I accidentally let something touch my nails.

Such a beautiful colour but such a shame that the formula is so difficult to work with. I would only recommend this to those who have LOTS of patience.

on 10/5/2014 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a very flat color without any dimension. It does not look good or sophisticated. My skin has cool undertones, this looks white on me, like I painted my hands with a tipp-ex. I hate this color. It might suit someone with warmer skin tone.

on 8/26/2014 8:27:00 AM

Thought i would love this but it takes 3 coats to get an even finish. Also the colour is a bit too chalky; it would be nicer if it had a hint of shimmer to stop it being so flat. Shame as i have a few other essie polishes that i love. I have Ballet slippers and Mademoiselle which i prefer as i can use only one or two coats only and they seem to look more classy.

on 8/23/2014 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I was slightly disappointed in this product. The color looks beautiful in the bottle. It is a light creamy pink. However, the application is streaky and it takes me 3 coats to achieve an opaque look. I have yet to find a pink I like as much as this one, so I'm willing to put a little more effort into it as the end product is very pretty.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I absolutely love this color, but always had such a hard time applying it. It almost made it not worth putting on because it was so difficult and annoying. HOWEVER, I recently used a clean OPI brush and it made applying fiji so much easier! I highly suggest trying this out, just make sure you clean the OPI brush really well so none of the old color mixes in with fiji. I'm not sure if someone has already suggested this but I figured I would throw it out there just in case!

Popular Polishes