Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.4

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 3/12/2015 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this product because I was losing a lot of hair and had excess sebum and Head and Shoulders didn't work. I used it as directed and now my hair and scalp aren't as bad. I only use it now when I notice my scalp is producing more sebum. I would say that it does dry out my hair so I only use it on my scalp. Also, because it doesn't lather I have to use more product so only using it on the scalp helps reduce product use. I would recommend this product to folks who feel Head and Shoulders and Selsum Blue didn't work for them.

on 1/24/2015 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

I bought this hoping it would reduce my unexplained shedding. I was not shedding extremely much hair, but enough to make me uncomfortable, like twice as usual. I want to keep my quite thick hair on my head and grow it really long so I will not tolerate shedding too much as I refuse to give up having "my dream hair" at 22 years old. I have used this product 4 times now and honestly, it has reduced my shedding with every wash. This night I only collected about 6 hairs in the shower. Barely two weeks ago I was shedding more like 40 hairs in the shower. I use a different shampoo before Nizoral, than work the Niz onto my scalp, apply conditioner on the length of my hair, clip it up, go on with the rest of my shower routine and then rinse it off. It simply works to stop the shedding. I am very pleased. It's not some placebo effect or wishful thinking. I collect the hairs I am shedding in the shower carefully, because I do not want to clog the draining. Just four washes of this have reduced my shedding to about 20-30 % and it seems to get better with every wash.
A few negative points that made me take a point off my rating:
-barely lathers at all . it is a liquid shampoo that will barely make any foam. I need to apply it a few times to feel secure that I have enough product on my scalp. I suggest getting your hair very quickly through the shower head, it would make the shampoo lather more
-very expensive for the quantity. I can tell the price is speculative because nizoral doesn't have much competition. ketoconazole is not an expensive ingredient so the price is too high
-is rather drying on the hair. just use a conditioner

I will update my review after some more time.

on 12/19/2014 1:44:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

All my life I have had stubborn dandruff and itchy scalp. I tried Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue and a bunch of DIY hair concoctions, but nothing worked. A friend of mine then told me about Nizoral and I tried it. It is AMAZING. I use it once a week and my dandruff has completely disappeared, my scalp is no longer itchy, and it actually does a great job of removing product buildup which was a nice surprise. This is now one of my must-have products for life. I definitely recommend this to everyone who struggles with dandruff like I used to. This product works.

I bought this product because I felt like my hair was shedding more than usual and it was freaking me out. I now use this product once a week and have noticed a dramatic decrease in the shedding. I feel like around 50 hairs used to come out in the comb when I combed my hair after the shower and now I get like 10 or 15. It does leave your hair a little bit dry but I believe this product really helps to stop the shedding.

on 7/25/2014 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is the only thing that works for me! The price isn't terrible and it's not terribly harsh on my hair. Once your condition is under control, you only need to use once or twice a week. I've tried many other products but this is my HG.

on 7/8/2014 2:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

product has SLS as an Ingredient and dyes. still irritates my scalp though not as much as others. effective in removing scales on my scalp and not too harsh to my hair. leaves my hair squeaky clean and manageable.

on 4/20/2014 2:19:00 PM

Unfortunately I must have this product with me at all times. I say unfortunate because I am a life-long sufferer of psoriasis on my scalp and have a rash on my stomach that was diagnosed as "tinea versicolor", believed to be caused by a fungus that naturally grows on human skin. For some reason the fungus causes a slight rash (my father also has this). I sometimes washmy stomach area with this and in warm, humid weather I will rub it in neat for a few minutes and then wash it off. It keeps the fungus under control. I sometimes (2-3 times monthly) wash my hair with it too, and try to rub it in the scalp to sit for a while before rinsing. Although psoriasis is not caused by fungus, I find Nizoral to at least keep the itchiness under control and calm the redness. I've been using this since the 1990s when I was a child.

on 3/10/2014 3:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I tend to get intermittent dandruff right around my hairline. I'm not sure what causes it, but it must be some sort of dermatitis. After using Nizoral for several months, I've noticed a distinct improvement. There's only one tiny spot that still has some redness and flakiness, but for the most part, it's entirely cleared up. I began using Nizoral three times a week for a couple of weeks, then cut down to twice a week, and now I use it once a week. I wash my hair only every other day or two. The only reason I'm giving this product an overall rating of four lippies instead of five is because it seriously dries out my long, wavy, mature hair. However, I have figured out a few things to help with that. First, I apply olive oil to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft before I use the Nizoral. I apply the Nizoral only to my scalp, trying not to work it into the length of my hair. I let the shampoo set on my scalp during my shower (about five minutes). I rinse out the Nizoral, and then wash the length of my hair with a different shampoo (Sauve, currently) to remove what's left of the olive oil. I condition my hair as usual (with Garnier, currently), combing the conditioner through my wet hair in the shower. I rinse the conditioner out, towel dry my hair, and then apply Pantene Pro-V Expert Collection Advanced Keratin Repair Split End Fuser to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft. After that, I'm ready to blow dry and flat iron my hair. It turns out looking very healthy. That might seem like a lot of work and a lot of product, but I only have to do it once a week now. That's a small price to pay for relief from itching and dandruff. As a side note, I primarily purchased this product to see if it would help reduce my menopausal hair loss, because I read it has antiandrogen properties. I can't say I've seen a significant difference there, but perhaps a slight improvement has been made overall. Be that as it may, I will continue using Nizoral for as long as they have the good sense to make it, in spite of the high price.

on 2/24/2014 2:09:00 PM

The only that helps control my Seborrheic Dermatitis

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Whenever my PCOS flares up and I miss my monthly cycle, I concurrently get a whopper Sebhorreic Dermatitis outbreak. I guess they're both down to stress. Anywho, this helped me during the absolute worst SD of my life a few months ago; within a week the dandruff and itching had improved drastically.
Unfortunately, it's damn expensive, leaves a greasy buildup in the hair at the crown, and the effects don't last long for me. Switched to Head & Shoulders 'for itchy scalps', and it seems to be working better than this, which I didn't expect due to my suspected reaction to SLS. Way more product for your money, too.

Popular Shampoos