Revlon Colorsilk

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

Beware of this product! I read all the great reviews so decided to try it. I've been dying my hair with d/s products for 25 years and have usually had pretty great results. My hair is shoulder length but greying so I'm always touching up the roots. Anyway, I drank the Colorsilk kool-aid. Purchased it in Canada for $4.99. At first I was extremely thrilled. I used the black/brown and every centimetre of my hair was dark. But over the last two weeks, I've noticed my hair is very dry, dull and absolutely will not hold any kind of curl. Previously this wasn't an issue because my hair always had body. It seems to even have a different texture now. It's hard to explain. Anyway, I'm struggling and may even have a few inches cut off to remedy the situation. In any case, I'm glad it works for so many people. But tread carefully...

on 7/8/2015 6:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I used Revlon ColorSilk in Dark Brown on short my brown/black hair w/ about 10% dye resistant grays 6 days ago. It was $3+change including tax @ my local Target.

First off, the color was much darker than I expected. I thought I'd pretty much have my original color w/ the grays coming out a dark brown. What I got was a monochromatic black/brown head of hair after following Revlon's directions for covering stubborn gray.

At least the dye successfully covered my stubborn grays and the color seems to be mellowing out a little bit. I didn't shampoo for 24 hours but still had a little dye bleed onto my towels after shampooing on days 3 & 4.

Though the smell was okay, the dye really roughed up my hair cuticles & dried it out. Wet my hair was a tangled mess. The included conditioner only helped a tiny bit. However, after drying, my hair was reasonably soft and shiny.

One box was enough for my short hair w/ just a tiny bit to spare so if you have shoulder length hair or longer, get 2 boxes or more.

Pros:
1) Covers stubborn grays.
2) Cheap.
3) Smells okay.

Cons:
1) Dries out your hair.
2) Box claims multi-dimensional color, but I got a monochromatic result.
3) Color comes out darker than expected.
4) May need to get 2 or more boxes for hair any longer than a pixie cut. (ex. Anne Hathaway's short hair @ her wedding)

on 6/24/2015 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is the best touch-up hair color for me, a 67-yr-old female who possesses thick, fine hair and who now finds herself with yellow-gray hair which frames my face. (I have just a few stray gray hairs at the crown of my head otherwise.)
I am a brunette with natural red highlights and have been using # 43 (medium golden brown) which is a nice soft light brunette color. I do not wish to join the legions of my age group who have chosen to go redder or blonder than their natural hair color- somehow they all look the same to me. Just boring- those flat red and dull light brown shades.
I do not leave the color on as long as recommended because my hair is fine- maybe 15-17 minutes at most. The color is pleasant, it blends nicely with the rest of my hair (I do rub the remaining product into my entire head of hair for the last 5 minutes of exposure time) and the product does not dry my hair or make it frizzy as some other "touch-up" products have done.
AND, the price is so spectacular. For anyone on a budget this stuff is a GIFT.

on 5/11/2015 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Review for Revlon Color Silk 04 Neutral Blonde.

In my quest to find my holy grail of perfect in home color that I can afford to do every two weeks I next tried Revlon ColorSilk. I was impressed with the No Amonia and price $5!

Pretty basic setup. Developer and dye was just enough to do my whole head of roots. Consider two boxes if doing all your hair. The gloves were cheap but adequate. The conditioner is a baby squeeze packet. I will use it for travel.

This is not a bleach it is more of a dye so you leave it on for an hour. Nice thick cream that went on well but it did sting my scalp so I could only make it 40 minutes.

I LIKE the COLOR. Some brass but not too bad. Covered all the grey silver. Blended nice. Tonal. I went out and bought another box. It left my hair soft not dried out!

One lipie removed for scalp trouble but this is a nice warm neutral blonde that does't wreck your hair for $5!

on 4/26/2015 8:46:00 AM

I'm reviewing the lightest ash blonde. First of all i can't find it at my local dollarstore so i buy it at walmart so it's a bit more expensive (7$ canadian dollars) so it's not as cheap as i thought i would be, but that's ok.
My hair is damaged, porous and very short (pixie)
I previously had very light ash blonde hair but i decided i was bored and changed to a light reddish brown (to counteract the ash, you need red) but it was a total disaster (read my john frieda foam precision review....) so i color-oopsed and my hair was fiery orange/yellow. I toned TWICE (30 minutes each time) with Wella T18 and a developer 10, and i now have a very very yellow pale blonde. I bought colorsilk to try and take out the brass and it WORKED!!! Great great product, no damage, silky-soft hair, my hair is even and shiny, and the color is perfect: a very light beige baby blonde. Happy!!!!! Now the only issue is that i know i won't be able to do my roots in 4 weeks because it won't lift as much as i need, but we'll see. I might have to double process bleach + tone. The only con is the smell. It may not smell like ammonia but it smells like something you would clean your sink with, not something you put on your head.

Revlon Colorsilk in Soft Black 11 is my go to when I want to go back to black hair. It really is a soft black. It's just darker then the darkest brown black shades out there. I am pale and I find it flatters my complexion rather then make me look like I am ill ha ha. Normally if I do a really dark black I have to wear alot more blush and usually lipstick as well. Not with this soft black. It's very natural looking. I am naturally a brunette on the darker side so this is darker them my natural color. I get a lot of compliments whenever I dye my hair this color and it's dark enough that if I want to put fun funky colors in my hair as well it's a nice contrast without being too brown or too dark of a black. I find it to be a happy medium between my natural color of brown that bores me and going too dark of a black. The best part is the product is always reasonably priced no matter where you buy it and it lasts. It is well worth it. Revlon Colorsilk line as well as their Luminsta line are both great products. I usually go back to Luminista when I want to be a red head again. Makes touch ups a breeze for us brunettes.

on 4/20/2015 8:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been using Revlon Colorsilk for about 5 years now and I like it much better than the other brands I have tried. I use the color Medium Golden Chestnut Brown and it turns out a dark brown color with bronze/red highlights. The product makes my hair uniform in color from roots to ends. I like that its a no ammonia formula because it doesn't burn my scalp like a lot of other hair dyes. My hair also feels smooth and silky after using the conditioner packet. Plus I always get a lot of shine too. All in all, this is a great product and I highly recommend it.

on 3/30/2015 3:04:00 PM

I have color resistant grey hair and this is one of the products that work for me. It's affordable. The scent is not so strong that I feel like running away from my own self when I use it. The color does not fade fast. I alternate between med brown and dark brown. Always repurchase.

on 3/14/2015 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hands down the cheapest drug store brand box dye I've come across but for good reason. I first started using this in high school when I was experimenting with my hair and since then I've used it here and there as a last resort when I have a hair emergency and Sally's is closed (usually my hair disasters take place in the wee hours of the morning. They should really consider a 24/7 Sallys thatd be AMAZING)

Anyways, this dye runs anywhere from 2-5 dollars, Walmart being the cheapest I've seen it.
What I hate:

The smell. Listen, I've been doing this a while, I don't care about chemicals or the smells, per se. But this dye just smells noxious. Like basically 6 billion chemicals crammed into a small plastic bottle. Yup.
Also, the conditioner is useless. Anything that comes in a packet that you have to use your teeth to tear it open is crap. Especially when it's watery and smells sub par.
This dye always ALWAYS leaves my hair SUPER noticeably damaged after use. Especially the darker colors. And it always feels dry and almost plastic like.

ALL IN ALL:
it's like a 2 on a scale of 1-10 and you're better off paying a couple extra dollars for garnier (which isn't much better) or going to sallys and getting some salon grade stuff.

Video Reviews & Tutorials