December 19, 2014 | 1473 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2014 8:33:00 PM More reviews by littlesparrows

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Finally, finally,finally, I got my hair color to turn out the shade that I wanted! I have been using Colorsilk for several years, among other brands. I decided recently that I needed to use only color that did not contain ammonia, it is just too harsh on my poor dry hair and scalp. So I picked up Colorsilk again. I am naturally a medium brown with some light brown highlights and I'm about 20% grey, which is sort of scattered around the hairline and top of the head, not concentrated in any one spot. But it is pretty stubborn grey. My issue was how to achieve the right shade of brown- the Medium Brown shade has always gone too dark for me and the Light Brown is too light on the grey and ends up looking too light at the roots. So, I bought one box of each, then I mixed one half of the medium brown with one half of the light brown. (That is one ounce of each color, for a total of 2 ounces of color, and to the color add 2 ounces of developer). I put this mixture on the roots and new growth only (about an inch all) and let this stay on for 45 minutes. Normal developing time is 25 minutes with Colorsilk, but I wanted those greys covered. I went back after about 35 minutes and mixed the remaining half of the Light Brown shade only (1 ounce) with one ounce of the developer. I put the Light Brown only on the remaining ends of the hair and left this on for the remaining 7-8 minutes of the total 45 minute development time. Rinsed really well and used the conditioner pack that comes with the color (which used to be better, is this a new formulation? not quite as moisturizing as a few years ago), and...voila! I finally got a pretty, natural light-medium brown shade with nice highlights, no red tones, no smoky dark brown sections, greys compeltely covered, and my hair feels soft and thick. Thank heavens. My hair was very dry and lifeless before I colored. It had been about 6 weeks and it was in dire need of a pick me up. Now, we will see how long the color lasts. But I have noticed that even a permanent color with ammonia does not last any better on greys than Colorsilk has in the past. We have hard water here, so that does not help matters. At any rate, I think even if I have to touch up after a few weeks it will still be worth it. It is a little bit more of a hassle to have to mix the shades, but I love the color, so it is a small price to pay. And speaking of price, each box of color was $2.97 plus I had a coupon, and I still have the other half of the color and developer in Medium Brown- now I will only have to buy one box in Light Brown for next time. The gloves in this kit and really pitiful but I have a big box of gloves from Sally's, so I can use those. Overall, I am totally happy with this and now I can stop messing around with color and stick with a program that works!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2014 11:16:00 PM More reviews by SassySugar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Amazing cheap hair dye, I bought the color black and I love it. The only problem is that the hair dye still gets out of your hair on the third wash but I don't really mind that. I get complacent when people saw my hair and it makes my hair look healthier.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2014 12:22:00 PM More reviews by Susanna720

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

To kyl77, I was going to send you a private message but because I'm new it wouldn't let me yet for a few days. What color was your hair when you colored over it with the mix of Revlon 71 and 42? My hair is naturally a dark brown, but I have been coloring it with different brands and it has been a light golden brown for several years (meaning there are some red tones in it). I am still looking for a product that will give me more of a strawberry blonde, and #72 sounded perfect until I saw that it has been discontinued. Any advice on the mix of colors you have used is appreciated.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2014 3:55:00 AM More reviews by denimvixen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Revlon Colorsilk is my absolute favorite hair coloring product! Not only is it inexpensive (I pay less than $3 at Target) it colors my grays perfectly. I use the dark brown only at my roots and get a very natural look.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2014 11:03:00 PM More reviews by LauraAronson

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The medium golden brown does a nice job of covering my white roots and it blends very closely to my previous salon coloring. It has no ammonia, which is a big plus. My hair came out very silky after using the included conditioner. It is not (too) messy if I'm careful.

Since I need to color every 2 weeks now, I'll continue doing it myself to save time and money. At some point, I might want a full salon job, but have not felt the need in 12 weeks so far.

The box had got a coupon for Luxurious Colorsilk Buttercream and I may try that it I find it (on my hair not on a cake though it sounds yummy).

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by Slopez1399

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product is amazing!!!!!
I wanted to dye my hair back to my normal hair color since dying it a very light brown. I was going to buy the Loreal hair dye I think ... But it was 8 bucks!! So I decided to go with this one I bought the dark brown color and I loved it ... It completely covered the light brown and I have my hair back... My hair is really soft now it's not brittle like how it was before I dyed it ... Definetly worth the 3 dollars ... Always using this hair dye

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2014 7:49:00 PM More reviews by BlackHoleDiver

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow. Just, wow.
Cheap can be freaking great.
This doesn't drip all over the place like L'oreal Paris--great color, bad application--it dries faster, it spreads nicely and doesn't have an overpowering fragrance. That said, dark color will bleed for a few days when you wash but that's pretty standard for darker shades. I might try another box color later but I'm really impressed by this total cheapie. I use two bottles for my long hair but the solution mixes quickly and doesn't itch. If you get it on your skin, it will naturally wash away in a day or two.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by Alliecat333

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A bit about my hair. I have curly thick dry frizzy dark brown/black hair. It takes me a lot of time to get tamed presentable hair. Having this hair type I have been shy about coloring my hair. A couple yrs ago I said why not and purchased a box of dye( don't recall brand but it was one of the more expensive ones) the color was off from what I was expecting, didn't last no time and the worst,... My gosh golly did my hair feel like straw forever after. Almost felt as if the stands were liable to snap in half.

Years later and fall is approaching the leaves are changing and I, like most women, had the itch to switch it up a bit. Enter this lovely product.
First I want to say, my hair feels softer than Before! Oh my wow how so? I dunno, but it's so.
I decided to go with brown black, I didn't want an unnatural blue black or anything of the likes, so I thought maybe this would deepen my natural color and remove the warm red tones. I'm very happy with the color, although it's pretty much black it in no way looks like a 3 dollar boxed dye. In natural lighting you can see some slight brown towns. I needed one box for my medium length thick hair.
Oh yea ...it's 3 dollars at walmart. Did I mention that. Living my new " Fall" hair. I will only use this brand from this point forward.
Didn't feel like I needed to hold my breath to stop from fainting from fumes.
Easy to apply ( crappy "gloves" though)
Hair feels beautifully soft ( week after still)
Brilliant color.
Awesome price.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2014 12:41:00 AM More reviews by TiaMay

I have naturally medium/dark ash blonde hair and for years (25+) I had dyed it--blonde, auburn & most recently dark mahogany brown (3W). I wanted to go blonde again and used Color Oops to get the dark brown out of my hair. It turned a copper blond, very brassy, not the color I wanted and it was SO dry. I highlighted my hair at the salon ($150) and it still looked brassy. I toned it with Wella T18 and it took it down a notch but still brassy. Tonight I used Revlon Colorsilk 70 Medium Ash Blonde and it is amazing!! No ammonia, no offensive odor, and my hair finally has the ash deposits that matched my roots almost exactly! No more brassy--hallelujah!! It's so affordable ($3) and it left my hair in better shape than before, silky and really soft with shimmering blond highlights. I wouldn't recommend this if you don't have brassy undertones as it could become too grey looking but it worked so well on my hair. I'm back to my natural color and now I can add some blonde highlights and look like a natural blonde again. Definitely worth the 3 bucks :) SO happy!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2014 8:25:00 PM More reviews by Katejang81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have colored my hair many many years now at home. I have used a lot of different brands. I typically use L'Oreal Excellence or Garnier. I wanted to add more red in my hair, so I picked up Revlon in Deep Red. I've used Revlon years ago. The color won't stop bleeding out of my hair after each wash. It also left my hair dry and irritated my scalp. I have never had a hair color do that before. Even brands with red in the color. The only good thing is the color came out what i expected.My hair just doesn't care for Revlon.I know my sister has had great luck with Revlon. Sadly I would not repurchase. Back to my 2 favorite brands.