Avene Skin Recovery Cream (US name: Cream For Intolerant Skin)

4.1

US cream for intolerant skin: Water (Aqua), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Squalane, Benzoic Acid, Carbomer, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Triethanolamine. ------------------------------------ US Avene skin recovery cream: Avene Thermal Spring Water (avene Aqua), Mineral Oil (paraffinumliquidum), Glycerin, Glycerylstearate, Squalane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Clycohexasiloxane, Serine, Carbomer, Tetrasodium Edta, Triethanolamine, Water (aqua).

on 2/27/2015 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I bought this on a whim, after my skin was irritated by another product. However, I did not notice the ingredients list. Second ingredient is mineral oil and third ingredient is cyclomethicone. Now, it might just be me but I believe it's about time brands for sensitive skin stop putting mineral oil in everything. Yes, mineral oil is great for eczma and other dry skin conditions. For example, it works well in body skin that is itchy and flaky. And that's why it should not be put on the face!

I understand that some people who might actually have a disturbed hydrolipidic barrier need occlusive molecules such as those found in mineral oil to support such layer. Sure. But most people don't need that barrier because their own barrier is intact. In the end of the day some people love mineral oil, others hate it. I use it on my arms during winter and it works like nothing else, but I can't have it on my face. And many other people can't either. So Avene should make it clear that this cream is only for people who tolerate occlusive moisturisers - i.e. very dry skin.

On a positive note, I really like the fact that it's fragrance free, comes in a tube and is quite light in texture. I would say this is an excellent option for people who tolerate moisturisers that are high in mineral oil and silicone. It still leaves a residue and a shiny face, but feels nice and soothing. I would say it would be nice to use overnight.

Overall I believe this is not suitable for my skin type. Only people who can tolerate mineral oil should reach for this. It is still much better than other recovery creams who only have mineral oil and silicones as main ingredients. At least this one has a high content of thermal water which is soothing and non occlusive- this is probably why the cream feels so light!

on 1/14/2015 10:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

i've only been using this skin recovery cream calming formula for a week but so far the results i've got have been amazing. it has improved the texture of my skin, helped bring suppleness back to my skin and my redness has subsided by about 30%. i love it. my only complaint is that it cannot be used under makeup as it's kinda sticky and leave a dewy sheen so i only use it at night. other than that, it's a keeper.

on 1/1/2015 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Review for Avene Skin Recovery Cream (Soothing, Protecting: For Hypersensitive and Irritable skin)...

I just ordered my second bottle of this cream. I've been using it this winter. I have oily skin, but the harsh weather makes my face blotchy and red, and usual moisturizer just wasn't doing the trick. So I went to MUA Productville and found reviews for Avene Skin Recovery Cream.

I started using this a month ago, and noticed that the blotchiness (redness and mini whiteheads) would go away. I've also noticed that after a couple weeks of regular use the super fine lines under my eyes would go away. (I don't have wrinkles, but the left side of my face - drivers side, use sunscreen ppl! - has more "smile lines" than the right)

I have oily skin and no matter what moisturizer I use (including Avene Skin Recovery Cream) on my face I always have to blot the oil away during the day. The good news is that this moisturizer doesn't seem to make my skin oilier or clog my pores. I've only been using it in the winter so far so when summer rolls around things could change.

Pros:
- moisturizing
- soothes blotchy skin
- erases fine lines and makes skin feel supple
- doesn't clog pores

Cons:
- difficult to get product out of the bottle when it's low

on 11/22/2014 2:44:00 AM

I was in desperate need of a good moisturizer to get rid of the dry patches on my cheeks. I applied this day and night, and VOILA! My dry patches were gone after only 2 days!!! This stuff is FREAKING AMAZING! It is very thick, almost like a toothpaste consistency, and quite hard to blend (compared to other moisturizers). It's not greasy at all and leaves a matte finish. Also love the packaging: light and travel-friendly plastic squeeze tube with a specially sealed opening that makes it very hygienic. No fragrance and hypoallergenic.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is a review for the rich formula, and sadly, this moisturizer made my skin feel leathery and my pores seemed to be enlarged, and worst of all: I got an itching rash from it. I tried it for two weeks, but now it is in my waste bin.

I bought it because since I hit 40, my skin has become very dry and very sensitive (i.e. I can't use the products I've been using for so many years anymore, my face gets all red). I was looking for a moisturizer that without perfume and colorants, and after a quite extensive research online I decided to go for the AvenÚ Skin Recovery Cream Rich.

It was very rich so a little goes a long way, but it felt strange... Like the skin was hydrated but at the same time not supple and soft. At the beginning it calmed my red and irritated skin a little bit, but as the days went by my skin started to itch. Furthermore, my foundation (Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation) didn't set and instead that made me look like I had dry patches all over my face (which I didn't) and enhanced my pores instead of concealing them.

Finally, when the itching became bulging rashes on my chin, I decided to stop using this cream.

I would not recommend this to anyone. It was one of the strangest creams I've ever tried and I've tried Clarins, Clinique, Oil of Olay, Neutrogena, L'Oreal, Dior, Garnier, Elizabeth Arden etc. Reach for another moisturizer, MUA reader, this one won't help!

on 10/4/2014 7:35:00 AM

My skin tends to be oily on the T-zone area, but since this product, it neutralise my skin that it's no longer producing oil that much. It gives balance and now my skin feels healthier and smoother :)

Saved me after some bad sun damage.

on 7/1/2014 5:15:00 PM

I initially bought his product about 3 years ago, my skin was going through a rough time and despite normally being oily was extremely dry, irritated and red!!

After a few laps around the boots skincare section I was approached by a sales assistant who after one look at my face and dragged me over to the avene counter (of which I will be forever grateful!!!)

This cream calms the skin immediately and after about a week my skin resumed its normal service, I initially used this ad-hoc when my skin was playing up or I'd used and exfoliate, but now since discovering the combination skin option I use it as a night cream.

I cannot speak highly enough about this product, or about avene as a brand, as I'm getting older my skin appears to becoming more and more sensitive and this brand (particularly this moisturiser) keeps my skin in check.

on 6/18/2014 6:18:00 PM

Like some users I have red flat hive type eruptions,.

on 5/30/2014 5:30:00 PM

I used this after chemical peels of whenever my skin was dry and needed some extra attention. The first couple of times I used it I loved it and thought I'd found the perfect alternative to my beloved (but expensive here in Sweden) Dermalogica Active moist. However, after I started to use it every day, the effect seemed to wear off and I ended up with dry patches of skin. This is very unusual for me, and it disappeared after I stopped using this product. I now use Avene Cold cream after peels and Active Moist for every day use and could not be happier!