Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

4.4

Synthetic Taklon

on 4/15/2015 6:27:00 PM

Love these brushes, but I wish I could buy them separately because I only use 2.

on 3/26/2015 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

i want to go ahead and say that this is probably not good as a "starter set." these brushes are good to have in your collection but they aren't really enough if they're the only brushes you own. i bought these because i didn't really own any nice eye brushes and some of mine were starting to fall apart and needed replacing. these brushes are very nice quality and i haven't noticed any shedding. i'm going to go ahead and review each brush on its own.
base eyeshadow brush: this brush is fluffier than your typical flat base brush which gives a nice wash of color to the lid and i actually sometimes use this in my crease as well. it doesn't apply with harsh edges the way a flat brush does so you don't need to blend as much.
deluxe crease brush: this brush is huge so it's pretty much impossible to actually use it for your crease. it is denser than a blending brush, but i like using this to blend, especially when working with dark/heavily pigmented colors or a lot of layering. i think it would also be really good for blending out concealer.
accent brush: very dense little brush, great for a cut crease or for applying color on the lash line. i haven't tried using it to smudge but i feel like it would work well that way.
brow brush: this is much nicer than the brush i was using on my brows before; it applies much more smoothly and doesn't leave streaks or harsh lines in my brows. it is a little big, so if you have delicate or thin brows you may have trouble using this one.
eyeliner brush: i haven't tried this one yet as i am out of cream eyeliner but it is pretty similar to an eyeliner brush i have from bh cosmetics that has always worked really well, so hopefully this one is the same way.

on 3/25/2015 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

No, I don't love this set like everybody else. I've had this set for 6 months and went on buying more brushes of other brands (Ecotools, Sonia Kashuk, Elf studio, Wallmart Still Spa) because this was not enough, not even as a beginner.
If you're expanding your collection you will find this brushes usable but if you don't have any brushes I DO NOT RECOMMEND this set. For a person who doesn't have any brushes the Ecotools Eye Duo Set or the Wallmart Still Spa brushes are better choices you can do way more looks with those, I will explain why:

This was the first set of brushes that I bought and I realized after only a week that I could only do a very very basic makeup of only 2 colors having only this set:
-I needed a blending brush or at least another base shadow brush but it's not sold individually.
-The deluxe crease brush I use it for a wash of color in the crease or for concealer, but if I use it for concealer I cannot use for the crease, and again they don't sell individually!
-I needed a more precise crease brush, the deluxe crease brush is huge, but there isn't one in RT basic collection (there is one in still spa brushes and in ecotools duo set)
-I needed a more thin angled brush, the one that is provided is too thick, unusable for eyeliner, but they don't have one (still spa brushes at wallmart have one for 3$ and ecotools duo set has one).
-The fine liner brush I didn't use it because as a beginner I didn't use any gel eyeliner (now I use it but I like the Sonia Kashuk better).
-I needed a smaller brush for more precise work, (making the outerV for example) it doesn't come with the set. (it comes in the ecotools set and in the still spa brushes)

The Ecotools eye enhancing duo set gives you more basic brushes and you can achieve more with those little 4 brushes than with the complete RT set, and it's only 10 canadian dollars. Check the reviews:

The still spa essentials are available only at Wallmart for 3$ each, with the same quality as the RT. They have some brushes that are missing from the RT collection and they sell individually, the RT are not sold individually. for 12$ you can get 4 eye brushes that give you more options than the RT starter set. Check the reviews: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=113930

Like many people commented I would like the RT brushes to be available as singles. It makes me mad that I have to buy a whole new set just to get another base shadow brush or another buffing brush. I have written to RT about it and I'm not the only one complaining but they're not listening, they want us to spend the money on the complete set again, or I don't know why they're not listening.

on 1/7/2015 8:49:00 PM

Great brushes for the price and no shedding!

on 12/29/2014 5:17:00 AM

love these brushes. have been using them for about a month. they have not shed any hairs. at all. amazingly soft. i have a use for all of the brushes. for me they blend very well. if im being lazy i will just use the deluxe crease brush with product on the tip and place in the crease and the outer hairs blend as i move the brush. love them

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I don't like these for eyeshadow, I think that they're too big and stiff and don't really blend properly, at least to me anyways. I prefer ecotools eye brushes (sorry Pixiwoo!! I still love you guys) they're just softer and blend nicer, tbh. However, I like either of the RT eye brushes for concealer, I think they work nicely for that :) the liner brush is actually great too, too bad my mother stole that one. Oddly enough I don't remember getting an accent brush in the set I got. :/ Overall, I prefer ecotools.

When I began wearing makeup I first bought MAC brushes and they were rough and awful. Then I began buying these and I fell in love. They are soft and easy to use. They blend my eyeshadow seamlessly and make any makeup look flawless.

on 11/29/2014 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

These brushes are AMAZINGGG! Definitely recommend this for anyone! The ones I use the most are the brow brush and the base shadow brush. The brow one is thick so I only use it for my inner eyebrow area and using a different smaller brush for the outer area. The base shadow brush is my favorite! I use it to blend my crease or to add color all over the lid. The first time I used it I was freaking out because it picks up and deposits eyeshadow like a dream! The buffing brush is also great for blending out concealer and also putting on powder in certain areas. So glad i picked this set up, definitely worth it.

on 11/27/2014 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I think this is an excellent beginning point for eye makeup as it comes with a liner brush, detail brush, crease brush, base shadow brush and a brow brush. For ~$15 and your first kit, you really can't beat it but after nearly 2 years of using it I've come to realize that for the most part I've really out grown this kit and it no longer meets my needs for eye makeup.

Ones I'm not crazy about:

1. Liner brush - Too large, repurposed as a lip brush (note - I think the newer editions include a finer liner brush)
2. Brow brush - Too soft
3. Detail brush - Decent enough, but I prefer the RT domed shading brush to this as it's larger although this is nice for an inner corner highlight
4. Crease brush - I use the one labeled as a crease brush as a base shadow brush (how Samantha fits this in her crease is beyond me, it's mammoth), repurposed for buffing in concealer mainly

The one I do like:

5. Base shadow brush - I actually use the one labeled as a base shadow brush as a crease/blending brush and it's my favorite, it's worth it for the $15 (on Amazon) alone in my opinion

Overall, I'm really glad I started with the RT set as it served me well, I can repurpose some of them, and it gave me a sense of what I want out of my future brushes.

on 11/14/2014 5:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

In this handy and great value kit, there are three brushes that I use religiously and two that I don't use at all, or rarely. I use the brow brush, base shadow brush and crease brush, and of the two little ones (fine liner brush and accent brush), I have occasionally used the accent brush for precise applications of concealer.
Brow brush - great for brow products, a little too thick/imprecise for applying eyeliner for me (my eyes are small and I prefer subtle/thin eyeliner on the odd occasion I use it).
Base shadow brush - again, great for base/lighter eyeshadows, I think it's a little too big/soft and therefore imprecise for me personally in blending darker shadows.
Crease brush - I use for darker shadows and blending into the crease and socket. I also use this brush to apply concealer under my eyes as it's the perfect shape. I also use it to apply different concealer on imperfections and then for blending same in.
I have two sets of these brushes. I threw away the stands as I thought they were kind of useless and I don't have space for them (my brushes are kept in ordinary water glasses). They wash easily and hold their shape. Love them and have repurchased and would again!

Top Rated Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Products