Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo

3.8

Deionized Water, Decyl Glucoside (Coconut Oil), African Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Argan Oil, Panthenol (Pro‐Vitamin B‐5), Rosemary Extract, Sea Kelp Extract, Vitamin E, Guar Gum, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Avocado Oil

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

If you hate this as a shampoo, USE IT AS A BODY WASH to use it up! It works great as a body wash because it's very moisturizing.

I hate this as a shampoo. It left my fine, wavy, color-treated hair feeling sticky, wet and greasy. While I was shampooing with it, I was like "Oh, this is great! It has slip for a natural shampoo!". I did spend a large amount of time rinsing because I was afraid of it making my hair greasy. After my hair dried, it felt like I had a film of oil on my scalp. Ick! I had to shower again later that night just to feel clean again. That film made my scalp itch all day and also...this stuff is STRONG smelling. I smelled it all day and it was nauseating to me. Almost a orange creamsicle smell but super strong. Sorry, I'm an outlier. I love this as a body wash, though!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this shampoo. I've used other sulfate free shampoos before (most recently, the Illumai Vital shampoo which is also sulfate and silicone free, like this one, but is 3 times the price as well) with so-so results (nothing outstanding). For reference, my hair is thick, porous (puffy as i like to call it), colored, damaged, about 30-40% gray. My scalp is pretty dry but no dandruff. Like others have mentioned, this shampoo doesn't lather, but that's to be expected with most sulfate-free shampoos, plus this one contains oils/natural ingredients as well. The smell isn't off-putting but isn't exactly pleasant either, and it didn't bother me as it doesn't linger in your hair (at least it didn't in mine). This made my hair shiny, healthy looking, soft. Also, i did use the Shea Moisture Restorative conditioner after shampooing (it also doesn't contain silicones). It's relatively cheap (around $10 for 3 oz bottle) and easily accessible (Target, Walgreens, Ulta all carry it in my area). I will say though that I think it's better suited for thicker and damaged hair, as the next day it feels "heavy", almost how my hair feels after using a hot oil treatment. I will definitely keep repurchasing.

I think this is the last time ever that I believed the reviews on this website, because let me tell you this shampoo suck BIG time! It leaves residue on my hair. My hair looks dull and frizzy and most of all I spent $10 fre@king dollars on this no good shmoo... Omg. So disappointed. Going back to my Dove shampoo

I have 2b thick, wiry, frizzy loose curls. I've been using this for several months and I think that it has improved the quality of my hair, made it softer and curls more manageable. Looks healthy and curls bounce. It does not fight frizz however. I use my frizz fighting styling products after washing.
The smell is intense and not my fav but my styling products cover up the shampoo smell.
I'm on the hunt for a good natural curly shampoo and this is decent enough. I'll still keep a lookout for better products though.

Amazing. Leaves my hair feeling soft like no other! It cleans well and actually moisturizers without making my hair feel greasy. I've tried so many hair products for my thick and naturally dry hair and this seems to be the best I've tried. I tend to use a lot in one setting because it doesn't lather due to it being sulfate-free, but the results are totally worth it.

I just threw away this shampoo. Only good thing I can say about it is that it will last for a while. It left my hair even more frizzy and dull looking than ever I kept using it waiting for the turn around, the point where my hair starts looking good. We'll let me say this if I were to wait any longer I'd have no hair , my scalp stayed itchy and I think it's because this stuff was leaving a residue which was also causing such hair loss. This is a big no go for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Brace yourself, this is a lengthy and detailed review and a digression of my tumultuous hair journey.

Over the past two+ years I've been trying to grow my hair out (to just a little past my clavicle, that's all I'm asking for) and I've been off and on the wagon with natural products. But after this experience I think I've accepted that my hair just needs a bit of 'nasty' man-made chemicals and silicones in order for it to look healthy and thrive. Most natural shampoos have left me with dry, dull, frizzy, stringy, wirey, and tangled hair that refuses to grow past my shoulders. Some folks would argue that I'm not using the natural stuff long enough to heal the damage from the conventional stuff, but at this point I've been using the natural more consistently than the conventional, so I don't really buy that anymore.

As far as the natural stuff goes, I've tried John Masters, Aubrey, Avalon Organics, Jason, Aveda, Lush, Living Proof, and the natural drugstore lines from L'Oreal, Organix, and Aveeno. I even jumped on the plain old liquid Castile soap train and bought into the co-wash frenzy. Out of all those products, my favorites have been John Masters for a treat, Avalon Organics for clarifying, and the new sulfate-free L'Oreal shampoos for daily use.

Admitedly, I'm a hair-obsessed lunatic who seeks the improbable, which is to transform my naturally fine, thin (but not terribly thin), wavy, oily roots and dry brittle ends into a glorious mane ala' Charlotte York. So I probably expect too much from hair products, but I've reached a point where all I need my shampoo to do is gently cleanse, lightly moisturize, detangle, and promote healthy growth over time. And I'll rely on other products to volumize, tame frizz, etc.

So needless to say, this Shea Moisture shampoo didn't do anything I needed after roughly a month of use (with the matching conditioner, separate review). Not only did it do nothing to "retain moisture" but it would NOT rinse out of my roots, leaving me with a perpetually heavy and wet/oily feeling scalp. And I was only using a tiny pea-sized or smaller amount of product. Aside from all that, the worst part was the monstrous tangles! Tangles are a real bug bear for me, because tangles lead to breakage and fallout, and when you have fragile hair that isn't the thickest, neither of these things are good. I can handle frizz, flat oily roots, practically anything, if my hair is at least soft and detangled, but this shampoo didn't even do that. In short, it didn't cleanse to my liking, it didn't soften or moisturize, it didn't detangle, and in the long run I think it dried my hair out and made existing split ends more noticeable.

All complaints aside, I think this shampoo would probably be OK for someone with a different hair texture than my own. Like some of my friends who have thicker, hardier strands who can use 'whatever' and their coif still looks lush. I wish.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I bought this shampoo as I wanted to try one that wasn't filled with chemicals. It has a strong smell, it isn't an unpleasant one for me though. Very thick and it takes a while to wash it off. As much as I like its ingredients, doesn't do much apart from keeping my hair clean and I will not repurchase it.

The smell is WAY too strong.. instant migraine. I used this and the conditioner and my hair was gross and greasy, but also dry - all day. I usually use whole foods sulfate free shampoo and conditioner but been trying to find something better. It's not this!

This shampoo did absolutely nothing good for my hair. It smells awful. It left my hair extremely dry.

Top Rated Shea Moisture Products