Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation

4.1

Aqua (water), Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Alcohol Denat, Parfum (fragrance), Panthenol, Aluminium Hydroxide, Litchi Chinensis Pericarp Extract, Silica, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract, Pantolactone, Punica Granatum Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid [+/- May contain: CI 77007 (ultramarines), CI 77019 (mica), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI77891 (titanium dioxide)] 10BMT001-1]

on 8/18/2015 1:32:00 PM

Context - I'm a fair-medium (NC 20) with dry-normal skin.

I've been on the hunt for a foundation that dupes Gorgeous Cosmetics Sheer Brilliance foundation - it is literally MY SKIN in a bottle. Due to having relocated overseas I've been struggling to justify the cost of buying it, so I've been hoarding my bottles for very special ocassions. Ever since I've been searching for it's equivalent here in the UK.

I first bought Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel foundation shade 52 in 2012 and I hated it. The colour did not look right on me at all and I binned it after a couple of uses.

Since then I've been searching for the ultimate drug store/high street foundation to use for every day wear with no luck. Something always goes amiss whether it be texture or colour. After watching Lisa Eldrige's video tutorial for mature age skin I decided to give this a go again and I'm glad I did.

The first thing I did was swatch shades 52 and 53 on my wrist and work them into my skin and walked around for an hour. Shade 52 oxidised A LOT compared to 53 and even though it is lighter, it ended up going far more orange than 53 did. I also swatched my Gorgeous foundation next to it and 53 turned out to be almost identical to Bourjois colour.

On applying it feels a lot heavier than Gorgeous Sheer Brilliance, and I could feel it sitting on my skin. Healthy Mix Serum Gel only gives light coverage, in comparison to the Healthy Mix Foundation but it evened out my skin tone beautifully while allowing little freckles etc to peep through. It left my skin dewy without going cakey and my skin has a lovely "done" look without any of the powder. I can understand why this foundation will be a problem for oily skin types. I am quite dry and even I could feel the heaviness of the product on my skin. I set this foundation with Cornsilk translucent in Original Satin which compliments this foundation beautifully as my skin looks dewy several hours on.

The reason I am giving this product 4 out of 5 is that it has oxidised a little, though not much to be noticed and my chest is quite tanned so it blends in well. This might be an issue for some people.

While one reviewer below has complained about the price point (which is totally understandable) I purchased this for £10.99 in the UK, which is a far cry from it's Aussie equivalent. I can completely empathise, as one of the best things about moving to the UK is how considerably cheaper a lot of make up is.

Overall this foundation will be my new go to every day product. I don't really wear much foundation anyway but when I need a bit of a done up look or need a boost then I'll definitely be using this! I think this foundation is perfect for older skin types and those who need moisture boost and something to even out skin tone.

If you're looking for even dewy skin at a great price, then this is for you!

on 8/13/2015 7:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is my favourite foundation I have ever tried. I have drier skin, and the serum forumla really sits nicely on my skin and I also find the colour match to be spot on (I have shade 52). I love the smell and the packaging also. I use this foundation when I want to look natural, but put together. I've worn this on nights out and I do find that the foundation lasts, so the wear time for me is usually from about 6pm to 3am, as I don't usually wear it during the day. The only con for me is the price. It's fairly expensive for a high street foundation, but I will definitely repurchase this. I already have plans to buy another bottle in a more winter shade for me. Love this foundation for dry skin!!

on 8/7/2015 6:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love this foundation and the regular one. For me, there is not really a difference between the two. Amazing smell, great coverage and nice shades. It blends in like a dream and the staying power is great. My skin is more on the dry side so I love the dewy effect this gives me. The price is on point but if you ask me the packaging looks cheap.

on 8/5/2015 9:05:00 PM

Summary: Excellent drugstore liquid foundation for those preferring sheer to medium coverage. Goes well with dry skin. Make sure to shade test first as this foundation comes in a limited range of shades and tints, which I consider the product's biggest downfall.

Pros:

- Effective coverage and very buildable. I can either put this on quite sheer over my whole face, and then build up to a heavier coverage around my breakouts and tired eyes. Very natural looking dewy finish.

- The shade (also a con; see below). I purchased shade 0051
'Light Vanilla' (a light yellow sand colour) which gives me a healthy, dewy sun-kissed glow. The shade also does a good job of making my face (which is paler) match the shade on my body (which is darker due to sun exposure).

- Texture and smell. Like it says on the bottle, it has a very pleasant serum-like texture. I have dry skin which the foundation moisturises well. It has a very pleasant fruity smell (like apples); it makes me enjoy putting my foundation on.

- I personally found that the formula did not break me out. Everyone's skin is different, so if you are unsure about its comedogenicity, patch test first.

- The packaging. Comes in a very hygienic pump bottle. The red and white theme with the little fruit on the bottle is nice to look at too.

Cons:

- Price point. A bottle set me back $32.00 AUD, which is quite pricey for a drugstore foundation.

- Limited range of shades and undertones. This product only comes in five shades ranging from very light sand to a warm, dark caramel colour. If you are very dark skinned (think coffee to dark chocolate) or very fair skinned (think sour cream) then you are out of luck.

As other reviewers have mentioned, this foundation is quite yellow/suited only for yellow undertones. While the shade I purchased gives me a healthy sun-kissed glow, it will turn you oompa-loompa orange if you have pink/cool undertones.

- May not suit oily skin. I'd imagine that the light serum texture would be appealing to those with oily skins, but other reviewers have mentioned that it doesn't last very long and quickly wears off oily skin, especially in the T-Zone.

Overall, a good drugstore foundation for those who can't really afford higher end foundations like the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk or Nars Sheer Glow. Best suited for skins that are somewhat fair to warm olive, and on the drier side. Personally speaking, this foundation is perfectly suited for my skin.

on 8/2/2015 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love the look of this foundation when you first apply it. It has a light/medium coverage so it gives a really nice quite natural finish. However, throughout the day it wears off so quickly. If i'm taking time and effort to do my make up in the morning it's such a letdown to have it completely gone off my face by lunch time. For me, longevity is the most important thing about foundations and the longevity of this foundation is just not good enough. I have heard some people say it lasts on them all day but it doesn't last on me at all (My friend has also said it never lasts on her). I don't have the most oily skin but I tend to get oily in my T-Zone. I think it's better suited to dryer skin types. As far as drugstore foundations go this is one of the most expensive ones. It's €16.99 here which is pretty pricey for drugstore so for me it doesn't last long enough for me to pay that much. They are more or less on par with Revlon foundations in terms of pricing so for me for example the Colorstay is a much better option because it lasts ALL day.

on 7/29/2015 6:11:00 PM

One of the best foundations I have tried! I love the coverage and it gives a nice dewy finish to he skin without looking shiny or unnatural. The one thing I would say though is that the lightest shade is a little too dark on me. But I have very pale skin!

on 7/26/2015 4:24:00 AM

Firstly, I think Bourjois does the best drugstore foundations in the world.

I was first introduced to Bourjois foundations by the lovely Lisa Eldridge, and I've been hooked since. This Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation is the lighter of the two Healthy Mix foundations (one being the original, the other this), and it just applies like a dream.

You don't need very much with this foundation, just half a pump gives a nice, thin and brightening layer across the face. There aren't many shades available, which is a bummer. With the original Healthy Mix foundation, I am able to use it as a concealer thanks to its slightly thicker, creamier formula but the Serum Gel foundation doesn't allow me to do so, due to its runnier texture.

Having said that, however, the Serum Gel foundation is still buildable and you will be able to build this to a medium finish. It's definitely more mattifying than the original, but I do need to set the foundation with powder, or it would slide around my face by the 4-hour mark.

The Serum Gel Foundation is good for days when I don't really need coverage on my face, and would be perfect for hot summers / humid weather.

I wear the shade 51, and the yellowness of this foundation helps cancel out the red in my face beautifully. So much love for this foundation and I hope Bourjois will never discontinue it.

on 7/19/2015 5:42:00 PM

This was the perfect foundation for me, I don't need a lot of coverage, and this gave me the perfect amount. It evened out my skin tone, and it looked beautyful. I loved it, but sadly it broke me out after the first time of using it. I tried it again ten days later, and surely it broke me out again. I am so sad because it looked so good on, and also it looked beautiful in pictures too.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I have dry sensitive skin with acne scars and I find that I have to really moisturize and then use concealer after because this foundation alone can't cover acne and clings to dry patches. What it does do is offer a natural dewy finish, evens out skin tone and conceals redness pretty well. It didn't break me out which is also a plus. I apply it with a damp sponge which helps tremendously for my dry skin. If I apply it with a brush it clings to dry patches and sinks into pores. Also, this foundation oxidized on me. I was recommended beige fonce (55) by a shoppers drug mart consultant and it turned me orange after a few minutes so then I bought beige clair (53) and although it was a bit lighter it oxidized to my skin colour. Overall, I would purchase this foundation again because it didn't break me out and offers twice the coverage than L'Oreal Lumi did for me. Great light coverage foundation.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I was hesitant to buy this at first because of the $32 price tag (thanks, Australia), but after reading so many positive reviews and seeing pictures of it on faces I finally caved.

I apply this using my damp BeautyBlender on a slightly moisturised face and I find that it gives me the most gorgeous results. My skin literally looks like it's glowing from within - a really healthy appearance. It sets to a satin-like finish.

The amount of coverage it gives me is just right. I have some red scarring from old acne and this foundation really covers them up. I would say it gives a light-medium coverage. I haven't tried building it up, but I'm sure there'd be no cakiness. I do suggest using concealer under your eyes though, as this does not cover those pesky under eye circles.

I use this with the Models Prefer Soft Touch Mineral Powder in 'Soft Focus' and unbelievably, it makes my skin look even more luminescent.