July 31, 2014 | 1471 users online

Hair Styling Tools - GHD - Gold Classic styler

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2014 7:10:00 AM More reviews by 5starchikita

I'm absolutely in love with my GHD.I will never buy another brand again. It heats up super quick, glides through the hair like silk and takes alot less time as with previous straightners i've had to go over the same strand a few times and it left my hair frizzy/flyaway and meant i had to use products to smooth it down! I dont really need to use any products except hot iron spray or cream protectant and a tiny amount of serum afterwards. The GHD also curls my hair perfectly, now that ive mastered the technique ;-)

A must buy for those that use a straightener often, its definitely worth the money.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/18/2014 7:37:00 PM More reviews by BrutallyHonest12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It straightens hair well but it died right after 2 years. I only used it once a week too. It's disappointing to pay so much for a straightener and it doesn't last after 2 years.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2014 2:36:00 PM More reviews by MsVengeance

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I worked in the hair industry for a while so I've used a lot of high end flat irons and I got to say, this one did not impress me at all. I'd never used a GHD before this btw (none of the stylists I know have one) but I ended up ordering the GHD classic styler--which btw seems to be the same as the "IV styler"--instead of the CHI Turbo due to the fact that at the time, the GHD was on sale and basically the same price yet it offered more versatility (the turbo has a velvet cover so you can't use it to curl).

I could care less what my flat iron looks like but for those of you who do, this is a nice-looking flat iron, though not much different than a regular Chi in terms of looks. It IS very light-weight though.

This iron claims to heat up in 15 seconds; it also claims to use some bullshit technology that allows it to "self adjust" temperature according to hair type. Well it got warm but it sure as hell didn't heat up enough to seriously straighten or curl my hair in a mere 15 seconds--in fact, I found that it didn't ever straighten my hair enough to satisfy me.

It did get straight and it didn't pull or drag on my hair which was nice, but it took twice as long as it usually does (and lately i've been using a $35 flat iron I got from Amazon!) due to the fact that I had to go over and over it in increasingly smaller sections. I already use thin sections so this was just ridiculous. What annoyed me was that even after all this my hair remained poufy and never really got that shine I usually get. My hair btw, isn't even curly it's more wavy/frizzy/poufy--so I don't require tons of product or anything like that bc straightening my hair has always been an easy no-fuss affair. Usually, it takes like, one pass to get'er done.

I gave it three sticks because my hair did eventually get straight and at no point did I feel like it harmed my hair, but it's not even adjustable because again, the company claims that this iron auto-adjusts according to hair "conductivity" or some bullshit like that (this is a laughable claim). It does have auto-shut off but so do a lot of irons (or at least the high end ones). Honestly, I can only conclude that this is another one of those hyped up beauty products aimed at people who think more $$$= better product and performance but a straightener is a straightener so once you get past the $100 price point it all comes down to personal preference and there's really not much more you're gonna get for your money...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2014 8:23:00 PM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

*This review is on the 1 inch flat iron*
This is an expensive straightener, but it's worth every penny! I've had mine now for over a year, and I know I'll have it for many years to come. The iron itself is black and gold. I have long, thick, straight hair, but it gets a little wavy underneath if I let it air dry. If I blow dry it, it gets a little poofy and I use this to give it a more smooth, sleek look. It takes a couple passes of going over my hair before it's completely straight, but with cheaper ones it takes longer. It doesn't take too long to do all of my hair. It heats up super fast, and if I'm in a hurry and forget to turn it off, it turns off by itself after thirty minutes. I have dropped it a few times, and it's still going strong. I recommend this for everyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 9:23:00 AM More reviews by ThatGirlWithOmbreHair

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I own the GHD V Sapphire Styler and I am in love with it. It straightens through my medium to fine , puffy curly hair nicely reducing it to a sleek , straight and soft state. The box it comes in is really petty and you usually can purchase the iron as part of a set with another product such as a comb to styling spray, depending on where you get it from. It can be petty expensive but will last you the best part of a decade. The styler is create to curl, wave to straighten your hair and it heats up really fast and glides through your hair magically. However it makes it alittle bit trickier to curl/wave hair because it doesn't have much grip on your hair but usually the straighteners will gain alittle more grip the longer you use them (what I found with my iv styler).

rated 3 of 5 on 1/30/2013 12:33:00 AM More reviews by lichi79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This overpriced iron is good if you have naturally fine, soft or wavy hair. If you have coarse, thick hair it will not do the job, or it will take you several passes. This is not unique to the GHD, this applies to ALL CERAMIC straighteners. The Auto shut off and dual voltage is awesome, but it is not worth it if the iron does not provide sleek, durable straight hair. If you have kinky, unruly, poofy hair go with TItanium, hand down!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2013 8:38:00 AM More reviews by Mrae82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm absolutely in love with my GHD. I've been wanting to buy one for a few years now but was a bit hesitant paying $240 (Australian) so when i seen them on sale i thought i would bite the bullet! I will never buy another brand again (I've used remington and babyliss) it heats up super quick, glides through the hair like butter and takes much less time as with previous straightners i've had to go over the same strand a few times and it left my hair frizzy and needing heaps of product to smooth it down! Definetly worth the money, has 2 years warranty and barely need to use any products except hot iron spray and a tiny amount of moroccan oil. The product curls my hair perfectly and would have got the one with wider plates for my thick long hair but wanted to be able to use it to curl. A must buy for those that use a straightener often.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2012 2:34:00 PM More reviews by kuhjeerie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

If you have wavy, fine, or thin hair, I do believe this iron would be a waste of money. Many people are perfectly happy with a $20 iron from Wal-mart, and more power to you. I, however, am not one of those people.
This flat iron changed my life. My hair is naturally super curly and thick. With this iron, it is stick straight and stays that way for days with only minor touch-ups. If your hair is ethnic, coarse, or just plain difficult, make the investment and get a GHD. It heats up super quickly and doesn't burn your hair.
My ONE "complaint" about this iron is that it turns off after 30 minutes. I have a ton of hair and it takes me longer than that to flat iron it all. But turning it back on is just a quick thumb motion and it's back to business. This is actually a good thing, considering how many women forget to turn their styling tools off in the morning. =)
Love it. Will never purchase another brand. The 10 year warranty is great, too.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2012 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Tinabear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Best GHDs ever.
Gold MAX Styler (the bigger plates size)
is perfect for anybody with thick hair.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2012 5:49:00 PM More reviews by starrysim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm a bit torn on the GHD Gold Flat iron. After a few bad experiences with other irons, I decided to go for "the best," despite the price tag. Although I did buy this one Folica on a great promo, and it only cost me about $125, which I think is a steal (note that I'm in Canada, but I had it shipped to my brother in the US. Folica ships with UPS, which means you will get hit with duties AND brokerage fees, without question). First impressions - the design of the iron is really nice. It's very light, but doesn't feel cheap at all. The plastic is high quality and very well made. The on-off button is on the inside, so you can't accidentally turn it off while in use. It's a slider with the GHD logo lit up. It flashes while warming up, and stays lit when hot. It heats up super super fast - even before I'm done sectioning my hair, and then it beeps to let you know it's ready. Styling with it is easy, and it makes nice curls. However, the plates aren't "floating" and they do snag my hair a bit, which is my biggest pet peeve. It doesn't snag as bad as my Babyliss Argan Heat, or the cheapo Conair I used once, but I can still "hear" my hair passing though, if you know what I mean. It's just not completely smooth. As everyone else has mentioned, it does NOT have temperature control. At this price, GHD should just suck it up and give us what we want, instead of smugly insisting that they know what the best temperature is. I have the Scarlet edition, which comes with a case and heat mat too. Personally, I don't like these - they are both too tacky and bulky, which defeats the purpose for travel. The satin is not exactly the best thing to have facing down on your counter in the bathroom. I would've preferred a really thin, flexible, sleek case or mat. It also comes with a guard that slides onto the end of the iron, to keep the plates together for travel or storage. Again, it's way too bulky, and not well designed. As you pick up the iron to move it, you squeeze the plates together, which causes the guard to fall off. My previous iron, a Toni & Guy, had an awesome feature, a little slider that would lock the plates together. Why don't all irons have this? At the time I took it for granted. Overall, I'm happy with the high quality and the performance of the GHD, but I think it could use improvement in the fit of the plates, the accessories, and temperature control.