August 20, 2014 | 1873 users online

Other - Braun Epilator

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2014 2:52:00 PM More reviews by NehaN

This is the best device ever! I bought it about two years ago (but only worked up the courage to use it 6 months later lol). I use this on my legs and underarms. At first it was soo painful - my legs used to go pink where the hair had been pulled out, and my underarms. Oh my underarms. They actually bled the first 3 times. BUT I am so glad I stuck with it. Now I epilate once a week - legs and underarms take about 20 minutes - and it isn't painful at all! The hair actually does become thinner and weaker, and it seems like I have fewer hairs growing back.

Some tips for beginners:
- Don't let your hair grow out completely. The longer your hair is the more it hurts.
- Hold your skin taut for less painful removal.
- I used to listen to a podcast with earplugs in as I was epilating. A distraction keeps your mind off the pain. Pain is partly perception after all.
- Try ice or aloe vera gel for any redness after, or to numb the pain.

The epilator does grab thicker hair more easily so I have to go over the thinner hair on my thighs more than once. And exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate - although I have noticed fewer ingrowns on my legs (and NO ingrowns anymore on my underarms) over time,

Overall it is a little expensive, $70CAD, but so so worth it. Braun is a really good quality brand too so I think I'll be using this for years to come. I used to have a horrible shadow with shaving, and waxing was so much fuss, now with epilating it is so easy and I'm no longer embarassed about my legs and underarms. Hurrah! Seriously recommend.

Also read the other reviews - some of them are hilarious :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2014 9:53:00 PM More reviews by LetsSwap

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm always wayyyy late to the party, and shaving has always been my no-brainer method. Someone mentioned epilators, I started researching, and finally settled on the Braun Silk-Epil 5. Not too fancy, not too basic. There is definitely a learning curve, though it was not very steep for me. I'm fairly pain tolerant, but some time back I got a wax job and ....never again! I braced myself for pain with this, but it was NOT BAD at all! This is way less painful than waxing. I had a few ouches (I caught my skin with the tool a few times -major OUCH) and like I said, maneuvering the thing does take some practice. My underarms are nice and smooth with only a couple of ingrowns that I easily pluck out. However, my legs are not looking that great :( More than a few ingrowns, although they too pluck out easily. I'll definitely continue to use this, as I'm loving my clean pits. I'll have to see how my legs do in the long run, though. I do recommend this tool; doubt I'll go back to shaving.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/7/2013 1:13:00 AM More reviews by knitknit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is fine at first.

Slowly more and more hairs become ingrown, until your legs are a painful field of red bumps and infected follicles.

Now you must cover your whole legs, all day every day.

You cannot subject innocent bystanders to that awful sight.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2013 6:23:00 PM More reviews by aryel02

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I have had the Braun SilkEpil 3 for over three years. I absolutely love this product. I have naturally thick hair, which is great on the head but not so much everywhere else... I also shaved my legs and armpits for many years. Then, I switched to waxing but it was too much of a hassle for me to do it at home. Thus, the epilator.

I have only used this on my armpits and legs. While I have a very high pain threshold, epilating was quite an unpleasant experience in the first few weeks. After three years, I barely feel anything on my legs anymore. Armpit area is still a little more sensitive if I don't maintain it regularly. I won't go into details as to how I use the epilator because Ultraviolet wrote a great review and it contains a lot of great tips. The only thing I would add is to dust a little baby powder on the area you want to epilate right before you start epilating. This really helps in reducing the pain/any discomfort you may feel. I did that for the armpits in the first few months and it helps a lot.

The process may be long at first because you're not used to it. The first time I used it, I think it took me about 45 minutes to do both my legs. I was a little discouraged but thankfully I persisted in using the epilator! Now, it takes me about 10 minutes to do the bottom part of my legs if I do it regularly (once/2 weeks). I rarely do my thighs because the hair has gotten very light over the years. Also, there are areas where I don't get hair anymore (inner thighs, near the knees mainly).

Overall, this is a great product. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an alternative to shaving/waxing. Also, if you're worried about the pain, buy it at a store that'll let you return the product in case you don't like it. The first epilator I got was a Panasonic (can't remember which one) and I ended up returning it after the first use because it was just too big for my tiny hand.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2012 7:59:00 PM More reviews by nataliecloud9

Silk-Úpil is a good epilator, if this is the route you chose for hair removal. It has been my method for the past year. But today was the last straw! (I'll tell you why, read on..) I've decided to stop using this and switch to hair removal cream.

People.. Be Warned!

After my experience with epiliating for a year straight, I ended up with massive, unsightly, ingrown hairs all over my legs!

They caused infections... Huge red bumps... And scars...My legs look HORRIBLE :( I had to use tweezers to *painfully,* squeeze out the ingrown hair. It is a faint-worthy process :( For the really bad ones, I had to have them professionally extracted. Today I had to deal with a massive in grown hair that I was finally able to extract, and I almost passed out. So that is why I'm throwing in the towel with epilating.

So seriously, if you are going to use this... EXFOLIATE! (I thought I exfoliated really good, since I scrub so hard my skin goes red, but obviously not good enough.) Expilating doesn't have the exfoliating effect that shaving, waxing and hair removal creams have, so you are prone to ingrown hairs.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2012 9:52:00 AM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am actually really impressed with this epilator. I've been using then for about 4 years now and they're great! Does it hurt? Yes! Does it really pull the hair out from the root? No. But does it last longer than shaving? Absolutely. I did a lot of research on this and I have a few tips for those who are starting with their epilators. First off, go and get a wax first. I did a full body wax since I planned on using this on my arms, underarms, and legs. I prefer sugaring since it doesn't leave my skin red and irritated and it seemed to hurt less. A week later, use your epilator. You may get some hair, you may not. But it's better to just try anyways. Then use the epilator weekly thereafter. You won't get anywhere near as much hair as you would if you didn't wax first. I'm very sensitive to pain, so this is a much better way for me to do the epilating. If you don't want to do that, you could always shave, and then use the epilator daily for a 2 weeks, then weekly from there. Here are a few more tips:
1. Take a hot shower or bath before hand. It'll open up your pores a little and the hair seems to come from a lot deeper. Some people also exfoliate, but I just use my regular body wash with my Salux cloth. It works just great.
2. Make sure your skin is SUPER dry. No lotion or oil after getting out the shower.
3. Apply powder. I use corn starch, but lots of people use talcum powder.
4. Hold the skin tight. Just move your hand along with the epilator.
5. Moisturize afterwards. I like to hop back in the shower and wash again, then I use a body oil.
I've never had an issue with ingrowns, but I also exfoliate and do a body mud mask weekly. That helps a ton with all kinds of body skin issues that I have. But all in all, I love this product. I'm on my 3rd one, so I do wish they lasted a little longer, but otherwise it's still much more effective than shaving and much cheaper than waxing. Great product!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2011 4:26:00 PM More reviews by xBl0cPartyx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

In total I would say I've bee epilating for around six years now and this Braun one is my second epilator. The first one was a 'beginner' epilator with maybe only 20 tweezers on it which took forever to epilate and made SO much noise but this one is so much better. I have the Braun silk epil 5, I think it is? The light is very, very helpful in epilating! It's also not as noisy as my old one which is a plus and the increase of tweezers is very helpful. BUT, I prefer to epilate without the little attachment things that come with it, you know interchangeable heads? The tweezers can actually sometimes catch onto my skin and pull at it and rip it. :/ so I can bleed for a little while. That's why I wouldn't repurchase. At first it hurt to epilate but if you keep up with it very soon you won't even feel it :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2011 6:38:00 AM More reviews by katushka37

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to try epilator for ages but was too afraid that it is going to hurt. I tried waxing but because my hair is fine and sparse it hurt a lot and didn't remove a lot of hair. Hair removing creams didn't work for some reason and shaving was my only method of removing unwanted hair from my legs.

My friend been using one for ages so she told me to give it a shot. I've picked one up on sale for $75. I took a shower and dried my skin well (don't apply moisturiser otherwise it won't grip properly). Initially it stung a bit but you get used to it pretty quick. It removed abut 80% of hair and only left very fine invisible hair. My legs felt so smooth and looked awesome!!! 5 days later - no re-growth or irritation (like i get from shaving)...Give it a go!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2011 5:09:00 PM More reviews by anee

I really liked the way it removes all the hair from my skin.It doesn't hurt me at all.I love the packaging.It is portable travel size.I can take it with me any where.My hair after the use of this epilator grew very late.BUY IT!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2011 10:22:00 AM More reviews by meleaf

This review is for the Braun Silk-epil X elle 5270. I have had this for years - more than I can count. I am sure I bought it at Linen's n Things with a 20% off coupon. Before this I had an Epilady, which I loved until it died of old age.

I have very fair skin, and very fine hair on my body. I waxed for years because everytime I shaved my legs I cut myself. Partly because I have thin skin, but mostly because I am a klutz.

Waxing is expensive and requires advance planning/appointment. Then it's a crap shoot finding someone who does a good job.

I love my epilator. There is a slight pinch when I use it. No worse than waxing. I have used this for so long, pulling the hairs out by the roots, that in all thise places the hair grows in less and less.

I use this on my legs, on some hair on my upper lip (very fine and blonde), on my bikini area and under my arms. I find the underarm area the most painful, but sois waxing there. I am goun to try using frozen peas as suggested here.

I love my Braun epilator.