Sigma F80 Flat Top Synthetic Kabuki (was SS197)

4.5

I bought this initially to apply my liquid foundation, but it shed quite a lot so i felt kinda "meh" and scared in a way coz its pricey and i didnt want it to shed and get ruined so i put it away for quite a while. After a few months of it just laying there in my makeup tools bag, i happened to ran out of brushes to apply my setting powder and highlight coz they were still wet, and the only dry clean brush that was available was this one. So i thought why not give it another shot? And im glad i did!
As for application of my setting powder,it did pick up quite a lot of product but when i buffed it into my skin on top of my foundation it gave such an airbrush finish and further blurred any pores which was a pleasant surprise. Then i tried it for highlight and it gave such a beautiful result, very even and subtle but also visible lol! Im trying to describe it as best as i can.
Basically it worked flawlessly for my loose setting powder and highlight. Btw the highlight i used ws the elf baked highlighter.
I will continue to use this brush for these purposes coz for now my go to foundation brush is my zoeva 104 and i absolutely love it!!
I dont think i will repurchase this brush tho, its pricey and i dont "love" it. But i will definitely use it until however long it lasts. In the future i might wanna try it for other products such as bronzer or blush even tho im not so sure. If i do i'll put up an update. Hope this helped!

For years this was my go to foundation brush. I had two F80 brushes for about 5 years that was until I moved. I believe I purchased them in 2010 and from my email receipt it looks like I only paid $16 each.

When I moved one of my boxes of makeup stuff got lost, I was originally going to try and take my makeup stuff on the subway with me or via taxi to move, but decided to pack it. WORST DECISION EVER as a FYI in case any of you are planning on moving. Hand carry/drive/taxi/uber with your makeup!

Anyway, the box I lost contained most of my makeup brushes and some palettes. I put in a claim with the moving company and got $250 for that box, even though I claimed closer to $1k. I used that claim money and then some of my bonus to placed around a $500 order on Sigma a few months ago. I hadn't ordered from them in a few years. I was shocked to see how much the prices have gone up on all of their brushes especially this one. I paid $24 each for this brush. What?! That is 50% more than what I originally paid. I get inflation, but that's crazy. However, this is my favorite brush so I bit the bullet and got two.

I noticed right away I felt a difference in how the brushes felt on my face, not as dense maybe? The makeup application looked the same, but I felt like these weren't the same. One of my brushes also started to shed after the first washing. Then after the 3rd washing chunks of bristles started to come out. I took a picture and contacted sigma. They do have great customer service and sent me a new one out that I received within a few days. Now that I have had the brushes for a few months and have deep cleaned them around a dozen times I notice each time I loose a few hairs. Never used to happen with my old brushes. I use the same cleaning method too.

In my opinion the quality has gone down, price has gone up.

I started using makeup brushes instead of my fingers because of this brush. It's easy and applies evenly and ever so soft.

The only con was cleaning it. The tip is white and the gunk would never come out completely which is really annoying. That is until I discovered Yves Rocher Express Eye Makeup Remover.

This product is multipurpose. Recently I've been using it also to clean my makeup brushes (white tipped makeup brushes like Sephora, Sigma, Real Techniques, etc.) and this stuff is amazing!!!! I shake it first then pour a small quantity in a clean, empty container, twirl my brush in and voilĂ !!! Clean as a whistle! Afterwards I twirl my brush in my Sephora solid brush cleanser (because the eye makeup remover is a bit oily) and then rinse.

And to think I was going to spend a fortune on Daizo (or Baizo) brush cleanser....

I have very sensitive skin, so I typically can't use a brush to apply foundation because it would make my face really red just to have a brush moving around my face vigorously. However, I was getting tired of applying my foundation with a beautyblender then spending 5 minutes or more washing it, so I pulled this gem out to see how it worked. It somehow combines softness with the right density for a perfect application minus the redness. A definite must-have brush that won't break the bank.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My go to foundation brush. I spent a lot of money purchasing this from an American website (now sigma is easier to buy and cheaper to ship worldwide) but even then, (and now) it is definitely well worth it. I love these sigma brushes saving me getting foundation everywhere and when I'm using this brush, I get a far cleaner, more accurate application of the product. Definitely worth purchasing. Love this brush!

This is my one favourite go to foundation brush. I've had the same one for 3 years and have only seen 1 tiny hair fall out. When i wash it i do try to keep it facing downwards so the water and soap won't get into the bristle and loosen the glue. However there have been times i squeezed it really hard to dry it and still nothing came out. So far for 3 years i'm extremely satisfied with this brush. It applies liquid foundation so evenly and quickly, and you can buff it into your skin or use it to smooth out a thin layer.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this product last year and have only used this for mineral foundation. I heard it was dense enough and picks up enough product to buff out the foundation. But perhaps this brush could be better for liquid foundation. I find that it a little too dense for mineral foundation and feels like it sort of micro exfoliates my face rather than blend out my foundation. It does shed each time I use it and I get brush hair on my face. The quality is so so. The brush feels soft on my hands but on the face, it doesn't feel AS soft. It doesn't feel like a smooth buff on the skin as it is too dense. I prefer the Real Techniques expert face brush instead but will continue to use this brush in the mean time as well - just not my go-to foundation brush. And just like the majority of Sigma products, it is expensive for the quality. I thought the quality would've been a bit better and not so much shedding. My skin reacted fine to the brush but felt like if you had dry spots/flakes on the skin, this brush might accentuate the flaking. After I swirl the brush into my mineral foundation, I feel like it doesn't spread as smoothly as the product seems to deposit in one area on the face and I need to continue buffing out the foundation to spread it; whereas other brushes, it blends more easily. And no, I don't apply that much at all either. Overall, I'm not too impressed with Sigma brushes and would not repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

The handle became loose after a few uses. The brush absorbs too much foundation and little is left on the skin.
They have horrible customer service, they make you pay extra to pick up your package saying the fees are duties and taxes but upon verification with the shipping company they are not. They overcharged and their product is cheap.
Avoid !
I use Real Techniques, less expensive and available in store !

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

At first, it applied makeup beautifully on the skin. Overall a great brush. Fast-forward a few months later, it began shedding like crazy on the edges. As I apply my foundation, it leaves hairs all over my face. I take really good care of my brushes so the shedding on this expensive brush is clearly unacceptable. Not even my $3 Elf brushes shed.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I loved this brush when I first purchased it (makeup was fast to apply and looked awesome) but it started shedding like crazy from around the edges a few months in. I trimmed the edge hairs so that it's even with the ones in the center but the hairs still continued falling out :(

Popular Makeup Brushes