LORAC Behind the Scenes Eye Primer

Isododecane, Talc, Trihydroxystearin, Polyethylene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, VP/Eicosene, Copolymer, Triethylhexanoin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isopropyl Lanolate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, PEG-40, Stearate, Propylene Carbonate , Beeswax (Cera Alba), Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Phenoxyethanol, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77499, 77491, 77492).

on 8/31/2015 8:18:00 PM

This is my go-to primer at the moment, but it doesn't mean it is without flaws.

Also to be fair I haven't tried many eyeshadow primers:
UDPP- im allergic
WNW fergie- Im allergic
NARS- I find it too tacky and difficult to blend out my shadows over it
MAC prep and prime- Horrendous packaging concept, get it together MAC.

So I have none of these issues with the Lorac making it my go to at the moment. I definitely notice an increase vibrancy in my eyeshadows using this as a primer. It also holds pigment, but it not so tacky that shadows are difficult to blend. The major downside is that my eyeshadows crease like crazy using this primer alone.

I use this primer under a mac paint pot and voila!! My shadow is vibrant, pretty and stays all day without creases.

All and all a nice primer, but I shouldn't *need* a separate cream base to prevent creasing. The primer should do that on its own.

I am waiting in the mail to try smashbox 24 hour and too faced, but in the meantime, Lorac is my go to. I cannot call it a staple or HG, but it gets the job done.

on 8/21/2015 8:58:00 AM

I got mine as a sample in the pro palette, I've tried it a couple of times and hated it. The textures very greasy and it is so harsh on my eyes it makes them sting like I've never experience from a product before.

on 7/20/2015 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

It gave me eye pimples??? And it's too expensive. Fergies Wet n Wild primer is where it's at...its like 4 dollars and it has a shimmer one if you want a shimmer eye look..2 styles for less than ten for both...no thanks Lorac...but thanks for the sample so I know not to buy it.

on 7/19/2015 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I got a sample of this primer when I purchased the Lorac Pro Palette 1. I would not go out of my way to purchase this simply because of the price. This is a fantastic eye primer if you are looking for high end but unfortunately this does not sit well with my wallet. There are a lot of great drugstore eye primers that do the job so I don't feel the need to pay so much for this when I could spend it on their amazing eyeshadows! However, this primer is amazing! It is creamy, makes my eyeshadows last all day and really brings out the pigment in the shadows, stops creasing which is essential on my oily eyelids, doesn't irritate or anything like that. I would recommend if you are willing to spend the cash. Best high end primer on the market and this stuff literally lasts forever!

on 7/19/2015 4:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

- No artificial scent.
- Spreads easily.
- No real color (looks salmon, but applies pretty sheer.)

- Gives my eyelids psoriasis.
- Slightly greasy and grainy texture that I find unpleasant.

I am a diehard fan of some of LORAC's eyeshadow, but I'll pass on this primer. In another review I commented that I'm not a person who really needs eyelid primer, but I do use it to prevent a little fading. Lately, I've started using this trying to compare it to the ELF stuff I normally use and (sad trombone) I broke out with eyelid psoriasis. Psoriasis is kind of like dandruff at its least severe and at its worst becomes weeping open wounds that never heal. Needless to say, I've stopped using this product and my eyelids are clearing up. I never get psoriasis on my face BTW, only ever on my hairline and very rarely in my eyebrows (basically, it loves my hair) so in the middle of my eyelids was a (horrible) surprise. It does work as intended as far as I could tell (I only used it for a week,) but I don't think it worked better than the ELF primer I like. If you have sensitive skin you might want to give this a miss.

on 7/2/2015 7:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I am older than many here and so can remember quite easily the time "before eyeshadow primers". Shadows would always crease on me, no matter the brand (with the exception of a cream shadow in a doe foot tube from Estee Lauder - I think it was called Automatic Eyeshadow - it was sort of like some of long wearing cream shadows that are available nowadays). This is going back to the 80's or 90's. Then, UDPP came into my life and the lives of many, truly revolutionizing eye makeup. I NEVER skip primer now (unless I'm using something like a Paint Pot or Colour Tattoo shadow). So, I LOVE primers and this one is no exception.

I got a good sized sample of Behind the Scenes with the Pro2 palette I recently purchased. It is excellent. Eyeshadow applies beautifully over it and it keeps my shadows fresh looking, crease-free and bright all day and into the evening. This also seems to impart a bit of brightness and "colour correction", though these aren't claims the product makes. I don't find any odd or chemical smell and find it a thoroughly pleasant product to use and one that does just what it says. I would most certainly repurchase except that Lorac is no longer available in Canada.

on 6/28/2015 5:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I am the type of girl who would much rather splurge on eye shadows rather than an eye primer so for two years I have been using my beloved ELF Eyelid Primer. I got a sample of this with my LORAC Pro Palette and LORAC Pro Palette 2. I am still not done using my first. The sample size lasts forever, but I am not fond of the smell. It smells like chemicals, that's something I never had to deal with when I was using my fragrance free ELF Eyelid Primer. It keeps the eye shadow in place for a good 7 hrs. I don't keep my makeup on longer than that. The texture is quite creamy and sticky which is a change from the usual dry primers. I do have to apply a base shadow first to make sure my other eye shadows can blend and sit well. It does cover up redness just a little bit.
Overall, it's a good primer. But I probably won't buy the full size once my sample is over, I was hoping it would make the eye shadows more vibrant but I was disappointed.

on 6/28/2015 2:56:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I really love this primer. I have been reaching for this primer more than the UD primer potion and my NARS smudge proof so this might be my HG e/s primer. It makes the application very smooth and makes the blending so easy. It makes my eyeshadow last all day and night it doesn't make my eyelids oily, it doesn't crease on me and really makes the color pigmentation very vibrant. Also it is not really dry like the UD, but it works perfectly on my very oily skin & lids. the application is very creamy until it dries. This is a great primer.

on 5/17/2015 4:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I had a sample of this that came with the LORAC Pro Palette and used it to completion. I wound-up getting a full size after because it was about the time my Urban Decay eye primer ran out and I was desperate for something that I knew didn't leave my eyelids a red, dry, flaking mess--and I know now I should have went to Sephora and got samples of other primers first.

The product itself is a salmon-colored liquid-gel kind of substance. It spreads fairly easily and dries quickly on the eyelids, saving you some time in the morning. I have dry eyelids and creasing is not typically an issue for me, but I wear eye primer for a few reasons: 1. to make the colors more vivid, 2. to lengthen the time of wear, and 3. to avoid creasing (which would occur in wearing some indie eyeshadows such as Shiro, Hello Waffle, and a few other brands).

It is on that note that I'll be judging LORAC as following:

1. Vivid colors: I don't feel that it actually accomplishes this. Having even a base color down makes the colors stand out more than this primer actually does. I don't think this has any effect on the actual colors and how they appear. Halfway through the day, I notice the colors actually became muddled and even if I am wearing garnet colors or anything else, they become shades of taupe. What's the point of wearing eyeshadow if the color isn't even going to be that color?

2. Lengthen time of wear: to me, this is a massive failure for the above reason. I will, however, note that nothing smudged when I wore this.

3. Avoid creasing: this is a success, though I think part of that is due to the formulas of the eyeshadows. Indies tended to crease on me, but mainstream formulas (LORAC, Laura Mercier, Urban Decay, etc.) did not when worn with this primer.

In short, I don't think I'd recommend this eye primer--especially when there are so many other options on the table.

- Mild color correcting in salmon color (if you happen to be white)
- Does not exacerbate dryness on eyelids
- Non-drying
- Spreads easily
- Did not smudge or colors did not migrate during course of day

- Muddles eyeshadow colors over day
- Does not help keep the colors long-lasting
- May crease depending on the formula

on 5/3/2015 8:34:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This primer works great and is very easy to apply. I love it!