E.L.F. Daily Brush Cleaner

3.3

Price: $

Price: $

Water, Alcohol Denat, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Methylparaben

This is my second bottle of this stuff, and it's the first one of its kind that I have as I have yet to try other products. I deep-clean my brushes with a small amount of baby shampoo and water every week or two, and this is supposed to be good for "in-between" cleaning. Some people have a problem with the smell and it's not BAD but it does linger for a while (and it actually smells like this Bath & Body Works hand sanitizer I have called Pacific Cool Breeze which I find a little funny). I own a few Sigma brushes and at first I was a little hesitant to use this spray on my more "expensive" brushes--I don't know what it is but I feel like it stains my pencil brush and blending brush that are white...when I swipe them on a piece of tissue paper to make sure it doesn't have anymore product on it, it seems clean but I noticed a "dark stain" on them when I use this cleaner. I have heard of another method of quick-cleaning your brushes with a stippling sponge** (THANK YOU, WAYNE GOSS!) so I'll probably end up doing that than buying another bottle of this.

**Quick note on the stippling sponge: if you watch that Wayne Goss video on youtube, he talks about that stippling sponge product that's packaged and sold for like $25-30...if you have the kind of money to splurge on something you can get for a couple dollars, go for it, but you're better off just getting the sponge itself from Amazon or something :)

I bought it when I was stocking up on new brushes. It is, after all, important to keep your brushes clean. After I used it, however, I've found that it has this terrible chemical smell! That smell clung to everything in the room, and only after a copious airing-out, it left.
Besides that, it tend to dribble down the spout, which leaves much to be desired int he packaging department.
I've found that using my bodywash (Johnson's Soft 24 Hour moisturizing) plus hot water works more efficently, plus, it smells nicer. Avoid this cleaning spray. It's gross. Still, at only 3 or 4 dollars, it wasn't a hugh loss.

DO NOT BUY!!!

I bought this and it smelled like chemicals and makes me cough. It makes ur brush bristles hard and the packaging is horrible. I came to my vanity to do my makeup and i kept this on top of my vanity and it broke and spilled over night. I came to find my desk, which is wooden, with bubbles and bumps where the cleaner had spilled. I tried to scrape it off but it was filled with wood; it didn't bubble the paint but the wood. I guess it smelled like chemicals for a reason. If it can ruin a sturdy vanity i wouldn't dare put it on something that touches my face.

on 4/3/2015 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

PROS:
- it's cheap

CONS:
- it does NOT clean my brushes even a bit. I really can't even notice a difference between before and after use.
- The smell is like cheap perfume. I don't mind it too much, but it stays with the brush and even transfers onto your skin when you put on makeup.

on 4/2/2015 10:16:00 PM

Overall, I like the idea of a quick anti-bac solution to sanitise brushes in between the proper weekly clean of brushes, however, I did find this spray made the bristles harder on my foundation brush. I usually use baby oil and shampoo to clean.

The smell is similar to cucumber, but not disgusting. I would buy again only for emergencies as I prefer cleaning my brushes properly.

on 4/2/2015 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

LOVE THIS STUFF!! Great price, cleans my brushes just fine! I am sensitive to perfumes (sinus allergies) but this scent does NOT bother me. Actually, I like it. Does not affect my skin/eyes on next day use. Fabulous value. WILL repurchase.

on 3/15/2015 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I Love this stuff! I never even noticed the scent to be honest. I just smelled it, after reading the negative reviews. I, personally don't have a problem with it, tho, it is strong, cheap perfume smell. I keep a dark washcloth on my vanity for my dirty brushes. After each makeup application, I spray 1,2, or 3 sprays on the washcloth and swipe my brushes a few times, put them in their home n they're nice n clean for the next use! Someone reviewed "mix water n alcohol n make own solution" Frankly, I don't care for an alcohol smell. For $3, I think it's worth a try.

on 2/20/2015 3:46:00 AM

If you like floral scents, this brush cleaner is for you. This to me smells like cheap perfume. I cannot stand the smell of it. But it does clean your brushes very well and it's very cheap. I used it once, and threw it out because of the scent. Some people may be okay with the smell, but it's not for me at all.

on 12/14/2014 3:20:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Does the job okay, very strongly perfumed.

on 10/15/2014 6:14:00 AM

I'm mixed with this hence the 3 lippies and here's why:

Cleaning: I spray twice, once on each side of the brush or three times on a kabuki and it does clean with ease. It's not meant to fully clean and cannot replace your weekly cleaning schedule, so it does what it claims. (I've uploaded a pic of my white waffle cloth and I took about 10mins to wipe clean 20 of my brushes.

Smell: it starts off a strong floral scent, then dissipates to an alcohol hairspray-ey smell that's quite pungent. I kept sneezing in the 10 mins! Once the brushes have dried (20mins later), I smell it faintly on synthetic brushes and no smell on goat hair brushes. I read those who said the smell stays on are perhaps over-spraying it? 6 or 7 times is probably an overkill imo.

Price and package: $8 Aud is cheap, see through bottle helps to see inside but nothing fancy.

Overall: for the price you pay, it does a good job at what is should be doing which is lightly cleaning and sanitising your brushes. I find the process quick and simple, yet helps keep hygeine which is what I'm after HOWEVER... If you have sensitive noses like me, it's not worth sneezing over.

So I might persevere until it's used up whilst wearing a mask (?) and then make my own solution in the ELF spray bottle :)

Popular Makeup Brushes