April 20, 2014 | 1458 users online

Pressed Powders - L.A. Colors - Pressed Powder

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2013 9:53:00 PM More reviews by Delakall

I was just at my dollar store today and saw this and was quote interested. I wasn't familiar with the brand but have had nail polishes of the brand in the past and had loved them. I bought the product for $1 and in the colour Beige. When I opened up the package it looked like a professional makeup product from some high-class cosmetic store when really it was from a dollar store. The compact has a little half mirror inside and a pad to apply it with although the pad wasn't working for me so I had used the amazing blush brush that I had bought with the powder in a blush set from L.A. Colours because it looked like it was a good product with potential. Anyways, the pressed powder is amazing and I am definitely buying it again. If this compact doesn't work for you then that really sucks because for me it's amazing. If you happen to see L.A. Colours blush with a brush set you should pick that up too. It's absolutely perfect and the brush is amazing.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/13/2013 7:15:00 PM More reviews by gagaglam03

Update: this broke me out like crazy! At first it's a good powder but not if you're acne prone like me.. I wanted to like this because it's only $1 but I guess you get what you pay for

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by HappyUnicornSmile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Pros:

1. Cheap! Only $1 at Dollar Tree.

2. Cute compact! I like the design, it's simple and classy. Also, I love that it includes a mirror. The only complaint I have about the packaging is mine won't seem to close all the way. But when I take it in my purse, I slip it into a cosmetic bag, so I don't have to worry about anything hurting the powder or getting powder on anything else.

3. Good color choices. At least, I think so. I don't know their full range of colors, but when I went to Dollar Tree there were a few. I chose Nude and it's a wonderful match for me (I'm yellow/golden toned and pale).

4. Doesn't test on animals! L.A. Colors has signed a pledge that it does not test on animals. Yay for leaping bunnies.

5. Buttery and adequate coverage. This powder doesn't look very powdery on the skin, although it is discernible that you're wearing make up if you look very closely. No one gets that close to my face, usually...so I don't care about that very much. Doesn't really get cakey, but you can't build it up to full coverage. I would say the coverage is in between light and medium. It covers most scars, unless their new and vibrant. It doesn't cover active pimples very well. It makes my skin look better than it does without this powder, so I'm fine using it for unimportant outings. However, at places where I need to look nice, the coverage with this will not do.

6. Doesn't break me out! Almost all make up does, so it's nice that this gives my skin a break. That's the main reason I am currently using only this powder. I thought the Talc might be a problem, but I haven't had any negative reactions yet and I've been wearing it for about 3 weeks.

Cons:

1. Lasting power. This product does not stay. I live in an extremely hot, and mostly dry climate (except for the end of August/some parts of September because of monsoon season). I put this powder on in the morning, go on a 20 minute walk to walk my furry friends, and come home to see there's basically nothing left on my face. That's disappointing. I'm glad it's a pressed compact, because if I couldn't take it with me everywhere to constantly reapply, I'd be SOL.

2. Doesn't keep my face matte by itself. Honestly, I haven't had a make up that does. So this doesn't really matter. But it's important to note that if you're very oily, counting on this for a matte powder by itself will not work. I like using Palladio Rice Powder over it to keep oil down.

3. Powdery. When I use it, a layer of loose powder sits on top of the product. This just bugs me. I feel like I'm wasting it. Also, it can be a bit messy at times. This is only annoying, it's not a serious con. Nor is #2 a serious con.

Comments:

I wish this would just last longer. That's my only real qualm! I can deal with lighter coverage, if I could just get a trade off of lasting power. I've tried this with Smashbox primer and Pur Minerals primer and neither makes it last much longer than it does on its own. If I had less scarring, perhaps this wouldn't be an issue. But I need to hide my face until it heals lol.

I definitely say that you should pick up one or a couple of these babies! They are great. Despite the real and truthful feedback I have given that may have scared you away from this, I still gave it 4 lippies, I still reallllly like it! Although, I'm not in love with it. No make up is going to be perfect. It's all about the trade-offs. If what's most important to you is animal friendly make up that doesn't break you out and delivers adequate coverage, use this. If you value a make up with extreme staying power and hate reapplying and touch ups, then perhaps you should look elsewhere. I'm currently looking into Lucy Minerals which is supposed to deliver both astounding coverage and astounding lasting power. I will write a review on that soon (if you're the second type of person).

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2013 9:03:00 AM More reviews by susieshawtiie

Most people wouldnt think to buy a pressed powder that only cost $1-$2. But this product is AMAZING. Ive been using this product since i was 13 and im 17 now and i still use this pressed powder,. it covers blimshes extremely well, and always leaves skin looking perfect! it never gives any orange or discoloration on the face. it fits skin perfectly!! not to mention its cheap! its always one of the only products i can use without getting break outs, due to my sensitive skin. this packaging is flimsy and not the best but for $2 and great coverage its a steal!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/3/2013 12:46:00 AM More reviews by Mford11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros
-cheap
-pretty good coverage

Cons
-has a weird perfume smell
-dried up and has a weird texture
-doesn't pick up a lot of product with a brush, you have to use a sponge
-not a lot of color choices

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by Rikki1290

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I cannot tell you how much I adore this product. It is only $1 and it is comparable to much more expensive powders. I have fair skin and my cheek are naturally really red and blotchy and this evens them out so nicely. I wear this alone and it looks wonderful! It is really finely milled and I would highly suggest going and getting this at your local dollar store. I have been using this in the shade nude during the winter and the shade beige in the summer and I always go back for more! It is definitely a must have :D

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2013 12:13:00 PM More reviews by bananasx3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I got this powder at a local dollar store for $3.99 after reading reviews on here.
I am a powder junkie... I have a lot! I love the matte face look and that's what I was looking forward to when I use this.
I swatched the powder and it felt really smooth and buttery.... Like high quality stuff. Others have said this has been comparable to mac. I think so too.
It holds your oil in through the day, so you look shine free! I really like it. The new packaging has a half moon window so you can see the powder and there is a mirror inside with a sponge.
FOR REFERANCE I got the shade beige. It is not TOO pink or TOO yellow. Leaned more to the yellow beige side though.
I will repurchase because I love how this is an affordable, underdog product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2012 1:45:00 PM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

LA Colors is not a brand that I would ever look at if it weren't for MUA, I'm always looking for pressed powder so after seeing the reviews for this - I had to try it. I have the shade Beige, purchased at Dollar Tree for $1.

Applied first thing in the morning on top of my TM - this powder lasted all day, no touch ups! The color match was close enough (AAB w/ fair skin). There was decent coverage and the texture worked on my skin. The sponge that it comes with feels like TP, the compact is cheap and no one is going to envy you for using LA Colors BUT who cares! Seriously, I've paid much, much more and got less in return! I'm definately re-purchasing

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2012 8:06:00 PM More reviews by lolipopcandie123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

so last night i was in family dollar, when my friend pointed out that we looked like crap. neither of us were wearing makeup, sooo we decicded to do a little haul :) i didnt want to get the l.a. colors liquid makeup, because i had a bad experience with it before sooo i just got the powder. im not a fan of just wearing powders, cuz i have hyperpigmentation on my face and normally powder alone doesnt cover it. in the disgusting bathroom at family dollar, (yes the bathroom at family dollar, cuz we didnt have time to go to my house and do our makeup, we were waiting for a ride that was five minutes away) i put this powder on and it and it blended pretty well with my discolored skintone. i got this in tan btw. my skin looked so smooth and pretty. i think this did a pretty well job of soaking up oil, not that my skin is oily but i had been out in the heat all day sweating. anyway, i normally touch up my powder a couple times a night and each time i went to touch it up it still looked smooth and flawless. i was wasted, but im pretty sure it looked flawless all night. some time during the night i ended up getting my face wet, so the powder came off. this mmorning i had some errands to run before everything closed so i just put this back on. oh btw, running errands hungover isnt fun. this has lasted me all day and still looks good ;) i also got la colors eyebrow pencils, those are great too and didnt smear all night.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2012 5:30:00 PM More reviews by didicrump

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have this powder in 'Tan' (my current shade) & 'Beige' (my winter shade). I used to hate this product so much for some reason I cant even remember, but I love it now. I prefer it over my Maybelline Fit Me powder most days. I dont like the packaging though. The hinges broke on mine so I had to tape the two pieces back together lol.